Diabetics and cruising

Kingofcool1947

I have a dear friend who has recently been diagnosed as having Diabetes Type 2. He has never been on a cruise but has booked a cruise to Hawaii.

He loves to eat.

Any advice from cruisers with diabetes, how to avoid the temptation of over eating, eating unhealthy foods, and drinks onboard?

For me, dining is one of the great pleasures of cruising.

Any advice I can pass on to him?

Thanks.

What I advise is easier said than done.

First, he should stick as close to what he eats at home as possible. There are a lot of choices available. He should be sure to take his meds as prescribed. And, most important, he should make sure he gets more exercise to work of the carbs. Take the stairs when possible, walk the track often.

I wish him luck because I know how hard it is. There are so many goodies available and sometimes will power just doesn't win.

I wish him well and hope he has a fantastic cruise.

It amounts to knowing portion sizes...You don't have to clean off your plate! I like lines that don't leave the basket of bread - an ever-present temptation - on the table. If you don't have fixed dining, try to eat the same time every day. EM

My wife and I are both diabetics and have cruised many times on several cruise lines. We do pick meals from the menu's onboard the ship, however in the dinning rooms we let the head waiter know we are diabetic and they allow us to alter the dishes a little. In fact if we let the dining room manager aware that we are diabetic they give us the next nights menu before we leave the dining rooms so we can plan for the next night. This of course would not work for specialty restaurants. We have never had any problem on any cruise line having meals adjusted. Cutting down the carbohydrates is one of the best things you can do. Exercise of some type always helps.

My wife and I have always gotten more then enough to eat of things we like and have always lost 10 to 15 pounds on every cruise. For your friend it will just be how disciplined they are in eating properly. It can be done and it can be done easily even with giving yourself an occasional treat.

I think it is harder for someone who has just recently been diagnosed with diabetes because they are still in the stage of giving up favorite foods. After 10 years, it has become a way of life and the urges are not as great.

Be sure to ask questions if you aren't sure about something. There is a lot of hidden sugar in sauces that are prepared and put over meats and fishes. Ask if it is possible to get that on the side. One small taste will tell you if it is ok.

I always ask for extra vegetables. These take the place of breads and potatoes to fill me up. A broth based soup will also help with that.

In the buffet, he can make a big salad. Be sure to add some protein to help keep full for more than an hour. Lean meats and fish are good for that as well as cheese.

Remember that 'no added sugar' desserts still have carbs and many times have as many carbs as the regular dessert. These are not a free food. If there is a dessert that appeals, perhaps he could share it. My sister and I often do that. The portions are small and it doesn't seem to cause too much damage.

Increasing exercise is a great suggestion. We always take the stairs instead of the elevator. You can break up many floors by going up two flights, walk down to the next set of stairs, go up two flights, walk back to original stairs, etc. Make use of the fitness center. Look for excursions with some activity. One does not have to engage in heavy exercise, just move every once in a while.

One should not be afraid to travel with diabetes. It is a manageable condition and one can maintain control while enjoying the food and experiences.

Debbie

This will be all on him.....he knows what and how much he should be eating....if he does due diligence at home, he should be able to do it on the ship!....same rules apply!

Cruise dining nowadays isn't quite as pleasurable as it used to be, for me!

Self control, keeping his health in mind, will totally be up to him!

I have a dear friend who has recently been diagnosed as having Diabetes Type 2. He has never been on a cruise but has booked a cruise to Hawaii.

In my opinion, it is crucial that he have nutritional counselling specifically concerning diabetes. They will teach him how to read a food label (carbs, fiber, etc.), how many carbs he should have each meal and snack, and give lifestyle-changing advice on how to manage this. This nutrition/lifestyle course was the best thing I ever did after my diagnosis. I also started walking and am now up to 4 miles a day.

This course/appointment/class may very well be covered by insurance or whatever plan, so definitely ask him about this. His doctor can give him the particulars. Having said that, you really can't do anything for him - it's up to him to take control and manage this.

DH was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in 1991 and initially was terrified to eat anything with sugar in it. Over the years however he has learned to understand the condition and when to be a little 'naughty' with food.

Cruising is one of those times, but he offsets the gooey creamcake with a session in the gym or a brisk walk round the deck.

The answer is to be sensible and don't let diabetes rule your life, learn to live with it and if he wants a cream bun make sure he goes for a walk, or go to the disco and you can both have a dance

Remember that 'no added sugar' desserts still have carbs and many times have as many carbs as the regular dessert. These are not a free food. If there is a dessert that appeals, perhaps he could share it. My sister and I often do that. The portions are small and it doesn't seem to cause too much damage.

Debbie

Debbie, so glad you posted this. Way too many people think "no added sugar" means they can eat all they wish.

I've been a Type 2 Diabetic for over five years and control it totally by diet! No problem for me ordering off the regular menu. Once you get use to eating a healthy diet which includes things you like, it becomes rather easy. :)

LuLu

Debbie, so glad you posted this. Way too many people think "no added sugar" means they can eat all they wish.

I've been a Type 2 Diabetic for over five years and control it totally by diet! No problem for me ordering off the regular menu. Once you get use to eating a healthy diet which includes things you like, it becomes rather easy. :)

LuLu

Same here. While correct food choices are important, the exercise plays as big a role in control of this disease. At least, that has been my experience as well as my sister's. However, the favorite reply from one person with diabetes to another is YMMV - Your mileage may vary. The trick is to find what works for you and do it!

Debbie

Thanks to all.

I'll share with hiim your advice and comments that diabetics can still enjoy the cruising experience.

BTW: he will attend a class on nutrition soon. Hopefully to know what are "good" foods he can eat, and "bad" foods to avoid when he's on the Hawaii cruise in a few weeks.

He told me he doesn't inject himself with insulin but is taking a diabetes medication Metraformin (?) twice per day. He is supposed to check his blood glucose level with a blood glucose meter before and after meals. I suppose he can test before and after breakfast and dinner. And do that in the privacy of his stateroom.

His Dr. advised him "no sugar, sweets, soda, juice, and cut down significantly starches like bread, rice, potatoes, and all wheat products". That's tough to do on a cruise!

So, would it be ok if he left on his plate, the "bad" foods he cannot eat? But, he says "Looks like wasting food."

Or better, when he orders, to instruct his waiter to have those "bad" foods left off his plate?

He does not want to " to eat salmon, skinless chicken breast and veggies every night on the cruise", so he says.

But also does not want to appear to his tablemates like he is waisting food.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

OP,

Two Metformin pills plus twice a day testing generally indicates a higher than average blood sugar number even for a type II diabetic.

Your friend does need to educate himself of course, but also needs to develop discipline. That does not mean a sparse diet. It does mean that he needs to let his waiter know to leave off the potatoes and rice and substitute a vegetable or salad. Ask for berries instead of cake or pie, etc.

My numbers are always better on the cruises. I do tend to get even more exercise than my home routine. I always order off the menu with substitutions.

It is truly difficult to absorb the impact of diet and diabetes but it is easily managed with education, care, and as I mentioned discipline.

BTW: he will attend a class on nutrition soon. Hopefully to know what are "good" foods he can eat, and "bad" foods to avoid when he's on the Hawaii cruise in a few weeks.

Yes but not only for the cruise, for life. This is a lifestyle change he will be making.

He told me he doesn't inject himself with insulin but is taking a diabetes medication Metraformin (?) twice per day. He is supposed to check his blood glucose level with a blood glucose meter before and after meals.

I also take Metformin, 1/2 pill twice daily (one pill per day, in other words). When I was first diagnosed, I checked my blood sugar after each meal but as I grew more aware of what foods I was eating and how my medication was working, etc. I was able to test once a day after that, and then a few times a week. Obviously he will follow doctor's orders, but what you have described is normal for a patient.

His Dr. advised him "no sugar, sweets, soda, juice, and cut down significantly starches like bread, rice, potatoes, and all wheat products". That's tough to do on a cruise!

He will learn that diabetes is not solely about "the sugar", but it is about carbohydrates, and how they convert to sugar in the body. White foods like rice, potatoes, sugar, white bread, white pasta and such are full of bad carbohydrates, to put it plainly. There are good carbs (well, better carbs) such as brown rice, sweet potatoes and yams, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta - that type of thing. I am concerned that his doctor said "all wheat products" - there are some very beneficial and delicious whole wheat breads which contain fiber - he needs fiber.

But also does not want to appear to his tablemates like he is waisting food.

It's no one else's business. I can assure you not everyone in the dining room will clean their plate. You always see wasted food on a cruise.

BOTTOM LINE: Your friend can eat healthy, delicious, low-carb, high-protein foods on a cruise and for the rest of his life, and hopefully not feel too deprived. I have cruised nine times since my diagnosis and I always find wonderful, delicious options. One thing I will say - and this is not for everyone - is that the buffet and I did become friends. :) There, I was able to choose only what I wanted and decline the rest. I filled up with fresh cooked vegetables, salads, small amounts of fresh fruit (fruit has a LOT of carbs), plain proteins, and unsweetened iced tea. If I declined all breads/potatoes/rice at dinner, I would have dessert. Like I said, he'll figure it out. :)

I seldom finish my entre. I do have a soup, maybe an appetizer and seldom even have room for desert. He can leave anything on his plate and he can ask the waiter not to put it on his plate at all. On 'formal' night I often ask for another potato in place of the baked one. And there is always a vegetarian meal with veggies he can ask for that with his entre. He should tell his waiter and the hostess that he is diabetic.

I love Debbie's 2 flight of stairs idea. Why didn't I think of that? *duh*

I too have learned to cruise with diabetes. I don't preplan my meal the night ahead with fixed seating but do make my waiter aware that I have issues. Never been a problem and it's funny because sometimes I get "you can't have that". I too often ask for extra veggies and less carbs on my plate. I do indulge in a sugar free dessert but no carbs with dinner allows me to do that. I find I'm far more active on vacation then at home so be sure and check the blood glucose levels (I actually had issues with lows). There's more to cruising than the food!

I, too, found the buffet to be a great option for me for the exact reason Langley Cruisers mentioned. The normal serving of vegetables is just too small. They are my main fill up food at home and on a cruise. It is much easier to control portion sizes in the buffet - a large serving of veggies, medium of protein and small to no starch. Langley Cruisers warning about fruit is also important. Many people mistakenly think that fruit is ok and overdo it. The best fruits are berries as they have more fiber to counteract the carbs and the absorption rate is slower, avoiding a high spike and then a quick drop. It is all a giant chemistry experiment.

I generally let the cruise line know that I do have diabetes, but am able to choose meals with little or no outside help. That way, the waiter knows there is an issue and let's you guide him in your food selection without making a major production of things. They have been very good about leaving starches off my plate and filling in with veggies. And, they've been more than willing to leave off sauces or put them on the side.

In the main dining room, many cruise lines have everyday favorites and when I cruise, there is a choice of steamed veggies. I sometimes order that along with my entree. I've never worried about leaving an unwanted serving of potato or rice on my plate. One thing, though, the servings are generally small, so they probably wouldn't hurt too much.

I don't worry about the need to eat starches (bread, potatoes, rice, pasta) for fiber. Veggies contain a lot of fiber and I get plenty from them.

Also, one must remember that veggies do contain carbs, although not the heavy load that potatoes, rice, pasta and bread contain. If I have a large serving of vegetables, I can easily hit my carb limit for the meal. I note that the doctor said to significantly cut down, not totally eliminate the starches. The normal diet is very high in carbohydrates from starches and sugars and most of us 'sweet' people just can't handle that much.

When first diagnosed, this can seem overwhelming. That will pass as he gets used to his new regimen. Most of all, he needs to relax and enjoy the cruise. He can get a lot of information from the American Diabetes Association forums. http://community.diabetes.org/t5/Main-Community/ct-p/Support-Forums

Debbie

Came on this thread by chance and just wanted to say thank you for all the helpful advice. I'm less apprehensive about our upcoming cruise after reading this.

Great!

So, do you have any tips how you will manage your diabetes on your upcoming cruise? All that food and booze is tempting!

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Do a bit of excretes other than hand to mouth. Seriously, just watch what you eat, say no to booze & desertts and you should be fine.

Some of the so called " sugar free desertts are really, no sugar added, so if in doubt, just say no to yourself

What I advise is easier said than done.

First, he should stick as close to what he eats at home as possible. There are a lot of choices available. He should be sure to take his meds as prescribed. And, most important, he should make sure he gets more exercise to work of the carbs. Take the stairs when possible, walk the track often.

I wish him luck because I know how hard it is. There are so many goodies available and sometimes will power just doesn't win.

I wish him well and hope he has a fantastic cruise.

My DH is diabetic type 2, we manage his without meds, caught early. We are life time cruisers, well over 50 cruises on lots of lines.

I second the recommendation, eat like you do at home, assuming your at home eating is healthy. We usually have breakfast in our cabin, then stick with protein often fish and vegetables none starchy ones. My DH has a sweet tooth but luckily we don't think the desserts on most cruise ships are that good, mostly creamy stuff where is the cake, LOL. So we do not over do it on that stuff, may have some cookies.

We walk every day, main deck and in ports.

We like to drink... scotch or a hard liquor cocktail over ice best, lowers blood sugar, red wine has less sugar as well.

While no so easy with lots of temptations - it is possible, just take one day at a time. hAPPY CRUISING.