Celebrity is pushing us away again, no fresh oj?!

Wj420

Did I really just spend the last 15-20 minutes reading through all 8 pages of this thread? I sure did... but to me, this thread reminded me more of a traffic accident that everyone on the highway slowed down to gawk at as they drove by.

I won't pass judgement on "juice-gate" till I cruise in November. I am not opposed to cruise lines finding new approaches to spending less money while maintaining or improving the offerings in order to provide a quality product; however, in my opinion some of the changes being made are only for cost-cutting purposes that are chipping away at my view of what "Modern Luxury" should be.

They will keep removing little things because the response is "Oh, who cares. How can that be so important to anyone?" Death by 1000 cuts.

I know some are very happy with more cruise dollars going to the bottom line and less to the many little lovely experiences. It is not the one experience cruisers have that causes them to shop around, it is many little changes that make the difference. For us being dazzled with a drink package will not make up the difference. Dumbing down Celebrity to other mass brands maybe a goal but I don't like it.

For the record, I have lived with citrus trees in my yard more than half my life and to me there is a huge difference between fresh squeezed and concentrate. I never drink concentrate. Unless it's loaded with extras, it tastes more acidic to me. Now I do not cruise for just qtips, shampoo, orange juice, chocolate or a zillion other little things. But I do cruise for the total package and that total package cost has climbed considerably.

I never heard the term pre squeezed. If I served someone presqueezed juice how is that different that concentrate?

I never heard the term pre squeezed. If I served someone presqueezed juice how is that different that concentrate?

I've never heard the term pre-squeezed either: it's called fresh squeezed, but it's package at the grower's facility and evidently has a shelf life of approx a month w/o pasteurization or preservatives. And I think it often tastes great, especially Natalie's Island and Whole Foods 365 Organic, IMO.

Go tot he market and try it...I think it comes in pint sized bottles...I also highly recommend the blood orange juice.

OJ from concentrate or reconstituted OJ is a completely different product and taste (yuck) -- lacks the sweetness/freshness...I think most of us know the difference, although not everyone cares about the difference.

I personally don't think this is dumbing down...I have a sense they have done a lot more things along those lines which have gotten some people upset...perhaps Celebrity is offering fewer and fewer nicer things for "free" -- forcing those who want to pay for them to pay extra -- which now includes the explosion of specialty restaurants at higher and higher costs (which most cruise lines seem to be doing).

I think it's a reasonable corporate decision to say: "fresh OJ is expensive, so let's make it available for a nominal cost so we're not giving it away to many people who don't care." The Ritz would never do this, but then again, the Ritz isn't offering free breakfasts (except in the Ritz Club, which isn't free), so you get fresh OJ (often including this same pre-packaged fresh OJ) with your breakfasts or brunches and they would never have concentrate or frozen OJ or even Tropicana.

I've never heard the term pre-squeezed either: it's called fresh squeezed, but it's package at the grower's facility and evidently has a shelf life of approx a month w/o pasteurization or preservatives. And I think it often tastes great, especially Natalie's Island and Whole Foods 365 Organic, IMO.

Go tot he market and try it...I think it comes in pint sized bottles...I also highly recommend the blood orange juice.

OJ from concentrate or reconstituted OJ is a completely different product and taste (yuck) -- lacks the sweetness/freshness...I think most of us know the difference, although not everyone cares about the difference.

I personally don't think this is dumbing down...I have a sense they have done a lot more things along those lines which have gotten some people upset...perhaps Celebrity is offering fewer and fewer nicer things for "free" -- forcing those who want to pay for them to pay extra -- which now includes the explosion of specialty restaurants at higher and higher costs (which most cruise lines seem to be doing).

I think it's a reasonable corporate decision to say: "fresh OJ is expensive, so let's make it available for a nominal cost so we're not giving it away to many people who don't care." The Ritz would never do this, but then again, the Ritz isn't offering free breakfasts (except in the Ritz Club, which isn't free), so you get fresh OJ (often including this same pre-packaged fresh OJ) with your breakfasts or brunches and they would never have concentrate or frozen OJ or even Tropicana.[/quote

So this is what they will be serving ship wide called fresh presqueezed? It's confirmed, it will not be concentrate? Thank you.

So this is what they will be serving ship wide called fresh presqueezed? It's confirmed, it will not be concentrate? Thank you.

They serve both: the classic drink package includes cheap OJ and the premium drink package includes "fresh" OJ. My guess is if there's OJ available in a beverage machine at a breakfast buffet or the MDR, it's the cheap stuff.

I think Blu serves "fresh" OJ, from what I read, as does Michael's.

I presume all the bars and restaurants have "fresh" OJ (as we're calling it, which is what it IS called in the market and by the manufacturers, so don't rag on Celebrity here for embellishing here -- even though I hear you that it is a change from the fresh squeezed machines) -- it's just $4/glass (or free w the premium drink package).

I will express our joint opinion on the taste of the "fresh" OJ n Reflection this week...you'd think originating in Miami that it would be pretty freshly squeezed vs Europe, if shipped from MIA.

Edited by soxfan2013

They serve both: the classic drink package includes cheap OJ and the premium drink package includes "fresh" OJ. My guess is if there's OJ available in a beverage machine at a breakfast buffet or the MDR, it's the cheap stuff.

I think Blu serves "fresh" OJ, from what I read, as does Michael's.

I presume all the bars and restaurants have "fresh" OJ (as we're calling it, which is what it IS called in the market and by the manufacturers, so don't rag on Celebrity here for embellishing here -- even though I hear you that it is a change from the fresh squeezed machines) -- it's just $4/glass (or free w the premium drink package).

I will express our joint opinion on the taste of the "fresh" OJ n Reflection this week...you'd think originating in Miami that it would be pretty freshly squeezed vs Europe, if shipped from MIA.

I have occasionally been served something less than fresh squeezed in Blu. While I do believe I have not 'ragged on' Celebrity for terms, I would appreciate they clarify them and remove fresh squeezed from the benefits if it is no longer offered. I also like truth in advertising.

They will keep removing little things because the response is "Oh, who cares. How can that be so important to anyone?" Death by 1000 cuts.

Death by 1,000 cuts.

This sums up the recent reports on multiple threads regarding the Celebrity cruising experience; particularly from those who are long time, & even medium time Celebrity cruisers. The short timers & the newbies will be awed, because they never experienced the detail that set X apart in the past, as will those who sail in the high end suite staterooms, who are the beneficiaries of the "ship within a ship" concept. However, those who have been loyal to Celebrity know that "it ain't what it used to be".

And the sad part, I fear, is that Celebrity pretty much does not care. The long time X cruiser pulls their hand out of the water, there will be the newbie, ready to put their hand in up to the elbow. And so it goes.

In the US, this product is called "Fresh Squeezed." it's not Celebrity which selects this term: that's what's on the label. You'd have to take it up with the FDA.

One could argue: what is "fresh?" -- does that mean that squeezed that day, within minutes, hours, days, weeks?

When you have fresh fish, you do realize that it can often take a week or more to get to your market/plate from when it was caught at sea?

Basically, that's the same thing here: it's bottled/packaged fresh and not pasteurized and I don't think it has preservatives. It has a shelf life of about a month and then sours (maybe it starts to lose it's freshness gradually during that period). But, I've certainly had this product and preferred it to freshly made OJ that day in one if those counter-top machines (maybe, because they can remove/prevent sour tasting oranges or the batch is so big, that doesn't matter, and I prefer my OJ cold and refridgerated and don't want it watered down with ice).

So, it's fresh from the tree to the OJ machine to the jug, where it awaits your glass.

Edited by soxfan2013

Is this a joke post? Fresh OJ??!! Get a life. Pay an extra 6 grand for fresh squeezed OJ.

I have seen a lot of strange posts but this one takes the cake. Thanks for the chuckle!

You should get a life. Or, even better, respect others opinion. Unbelievable.

1. They are doing something right, because these cruises are full, from relatively inexpensive inside staterooms to very expensive suites, with a lot in between.

2. They seem to have cut a lot recently, judging by the flavor of some of these posts. I guess that's what's meant by death by 1,000 cuts. I haven't sailed with Celebrity for 17-18 years. At that time, there weren't any specialty restaurants and I think we had caviar and baked Alaska in the MDR. Clearly no free caviar now. So, that must have been one of the early 1,000 cuts.

3. I think Celebrity is migrating to a "get what you pay for" class system, like an airplane, with coach, business class and first class. I would call the Sky and Aqua Suites comparable to Business Class, with some frills and perks, and a slightly bigger room. The CS and above Suites are like first class with much more space, and with all the frills and perks, including unlimited specialty dining, premium beverages, and wifi. And then you can even add onto that, with super premium wines and optional extras, from events to massages.

Even airlines have different quality service between themselves in each of the three cabins (now often four w premium economy). The service in economy, business, and first class on AA is nowhere close in either their hard or soft product to what you get on a carrier like Cathay, Singapore, Qantas, Lufthansa, Swiss, JAL, and even BA etc., but has been better than UA, and US, DL, etc. (albeit recent AA cutbacks are maybe causing this to change).

I think the above strategy makes sense when you have a mega ship with 2-3,000 passengers: everybody doesn't want the same thing and everyone isn't willing to pay for the same thing.

Where is Celebrity in the spectrum which ranges from Silversea and Crystal, trying in different ways to appeal to the high end as a baseline to Norwegian and Carnival...somewhere in the upper middle with Holland America and Cunard (or are they more at are the top too -- I think Cunard has multiple levels/classes)?

I have a sense Celebrity has been trying to position itself at the top end of the Royal Caribbean (which it owns), Norwegian, Princess, etc. group and that should apply to all three classes, if the analogy fits. But even Norwegian has the Havens which is trying to create an elite place within the cruise (cruise within a cruise?).

Edited by soxfan2013

Well said, Sox Fan. I have 2 (maybe 3)upcoming cruises on Celebrity. While I HOPE fresh squeezed juice will still be available, I'll still have a great time if it isnt. A vacation is what you make of it and I find it a bit disappointing at all the wailing and various posts about how Celebrity is "driving us away"....just my opinion...

I find the all the "Celebrity is Sinking" posts as amusing as all the things I have read about The Patriots and "Deflategate".

Go Sox! Congrats Pats!

I find the all the "Celebrity is Sinking" posts as amusing as all the things I have read about The Patriots and "Deflategate".

Go Sox! Congrats Pats!

Thanks...nice parade here today! Looks like all that exaggerated excitement over deflategate is what's sinking.

I dont think anyone would leave a cruise line because they don't have freshly squeezed orange juice any more than they would leave because the bar didn't carry blanton's bourbon. These types of statements as said by others in this thread are the result of many other "little" things and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. Those who are taking the OP literally and responding with snide comments are missing the message.

I'm looking forward to Celebrity Cruises findings (thank you for your post...glad you're looking into it). I'd rather know the truth than watch everyone beat a rumor to death.

Agree - it is not a question of leaving a cruise line because of one item per se. It is more likely the last in a very long line of little cut-backs and other undesirable changes that has finally come to a head. When I first started cruising Celebrity in 1992, the line provided an almost luxury experience for the price of a mid-level cruise line. It was almost too good to be true, and definitely too good to last forever.

What is most interesting to me is that most of the more significant cuts, coupled with the continued addition of 'pay to play' venues and options, have really skyrocketed in the past several years. At the same time, prices on the cruises I have sailed or considered have risen substantially. As more and more newer and bigger ships (talking cruise lines in general) come out, I wonder how long this can continue. It will also be interesting to see how the suite emphasis will play out in the long run. Obviously high spenders are important to them (more than ever it is clear), but suites only occupy what, 10% of the real estate? Even assuming those folks generate a lot more revenue per square foot than the rest of the ship, if they alienate or price out of the market the other 90% of us common folks, I can't imagine they can stay solvent. I guess time will tell.

I would consider avoiding a cruise line that didn't have available fresh OJ if the others' did. Or, maybe I would just bring a gallon or two on board -- that's probably what I would do...And I can't imagine others not having it. It's not a novelty or new invention...it is an essential component of a premium resort breakfast offering. I'm fine if it's a small added cost.

Here's my comparison: I might spend a night at a Sheraton out of convenience or on business, and they generally don't offer fresh OJ on premises. I think they are in bed with Tropicana. But when I go on vacation for a week, I don't stay at Sheraton level properties...and I would expect fresh OJ, because if they don't have fresh OJ, then I suspect the quality of most other things to be mediocre, because fresh OJ is such a standard component of a resort breakfast (fresh fruit too).

So, that's part of why this thread is 9+ pages: fresh OJ is an emblematic icon for a certain level of quality which many people expect.

Edited by soxfan2013

Agree - it is not a question of leaving a cruise line because of one item per se. It is more likely the last in a very long line of little cut-backs and other undesirable changes that has finally come to a head. When I first started cruising Celebrity in 1992, the line provided an almost luxury experience for the price of a mid-level cruise line. It was almost too good to be true, and definitely too good to last forever.

What is most interesting to me is that most of the more significant cuts, coupled with the continued addition of 'pay to play' venues and options, have really skyrocketed in the past several years. At the same time, prices on the cruises I have sailed or considered have risen substantially. As more and more newer and bigger ships (talking cruise lines in general) come out, I wonder how long this can continue. It will also be interesting to see how the suite emphasis will play out in the long run. Obviously high spenders are important to them (more than ever it is clear), but suites only occupy what, 10% of the real estate? Even assuming those folks generate a lot more revenue per square foot than the rest of the ship, if they alienate or price out of the market the other 90% of us common folks, I can't imagine they can stay solvent. I guess time will tell.

There really seems to be little focus on retention coming from Celebrity HQ. One might think they believe the bucket of potential cruisers is big enough that if they lose 10-20% of their "fan club", it's ok because they'll just find others. If I think back, the only thread here that's talked about improvements talked about how the coffee has gotten better. Seriously....almost all other posts are about "take aways" or changes that are, at best neutral. Of course, that excludes suites which is Celebrity's focus and where they are improving their offering.

Celebrity obviously must know what they are doing...they have to fill over 800,000 beds each year and make a profit. So far, it seems to be working for them. On the other hand, some of us will try other cruise lines (see my signature...that's a HAL cruise...our first cruise on HAL and we're elite plus on celebrity).

Only time will tell.

I talked to the RM on the Connie about this last night. About 3 weeks ago Celebrity switched and now their "fresh squeezed" OJ is made from frozen concentrate. They still charge extra for it. It tastes very similar to the free OJ. Major cost cutting move.

Soooo... now the Mimosa's are made with frozen stuff? I truly hope not on the Connie later this month.

We accept the cutbacks. We understand things change. But completely taking fresh orange juice off the ships? Modern luxury includes fresh juice! We have three trips booked on celebrity in the next two years but will need to rebook at Oceania. We have standards. These same standards made Celebrity our favorite cruise line for the last 5 years. Sad to think its time to upgrade again.

You can still get the fresh OJ.I believe it's free in the suites, otherwise it's about $3.50 a glass.

Well said, Sox Fan. I have 2 (maybe 3)upcoming cruises on Celebrity. While I HOPE fresh squeezed juice will still be available, I'll still have a great time if it isnt. A vacation is what you make of it and I find it a bit disappointing at all the wailing and various posts about how Celebrity is "driving us away"....just my opinion...

Go Sox! Congrats Pats!

You can still get it in the buffet(extra cost).

My Partner and I are relatively "new" to Celebrity. We started crusing in 2012 and have been hooked ever since (we just hit Elite last year, yay!) In that time, I can tell you that I have noticed some different things going on with Celebrity - they seem to be shifting to a younger demographic. I spoke with a great officer and over a drink he was telling me that if you could relate Cruise Lines to Hotels, Celebrity is trying to be akin to W Hotels. I am not sure if anyone has stayed in them before but they are Chic, Modern, Luxury hotels that cater to late 20ish - early 40ish, childless people.

You also have to remember all of the metadata that they get from your Seapass swipes (this is why Disney went to RFID bands). For example, they are able to tell from my info and stuff that I do on the ship: my age, my income (suites), that I'm gay (2 men 1 room with beds together), how much I drink, what I drink, how much I spend on board, what games I gamble at the casino, what spa treatments I like, etc, etc. Now if Celebrity is going with a younger demographic all they need to do is look at all of the mountains of data you give them. Clearly what must be happening is that there aren't enough people getting fresh squeezed Orange Juice to warrant keeping it aboard. This makes sense, because younger people don't really like it because it has too much sugar (at least that what my friend's tell me).

To me, it seems like they are moving along with the times - I don't think they do it to say screw you to the older cruisers, but if they are catering to younger crowd, the cruise is going to be modified for their tastes, especially if they have $$$. I could be wrong about this however I just thought I would give my opinion on the matter.

My Partner and I are relatively "new" to Celebrity. We started crusing in 2012 and have been hooked ever since (we just hit Elite last year, yay!) In that time, I can tell you that I have noticed some different things going on with Celebrity - they seem to be shifting to a younger demographic. I spoke with a great officer and over a drink he was telling me that if you could relate Cruise Lines to Hotels, Celebrity is trying to be akin to W Hotels. I am not sure if anyone has stayed in them before but they are Chic, Modern, Luxury hotels that cater to late 20ish - early 40ish, childless people.

You also have to remember all of the metadata that they get from your Seapass swipes (this is why Disney went to RFID bands). For example, they are able to tell from my info and stuff that I do on the ship: my age, my income (suites), that I'm gay (2 men 1 room with beds together), how much I drink, what I drink, how much I spend on board, what games I gamble at the casino, what spa treatments I like, etc, etc. Now if Celebrity is going with a younger demographic all they need to do is look at all of the mountains of data you give them. Clearly what must be happening is that there aren't enough people getting fresh squeezed Orange Juice to warrant keeping it aboard. This makes sense, because younger people don't really like it because it has too much sugar (at least that what my friend's tell me).

To me, it seems like they are moving along with the times - I don't think they do it to say screw you to the older cruisers, but if they are catering to younger crowd, the cruise is going to be modified for their tastes, especially if they have $$$. I could be wrong about this however I just thought I would give my opinion on the matter.

I think some of it has to do with the ships. We like the Eclipse(just got off last Sunday)The cruises are generally 14 days in the Caribbean. Their crowds seem quite a bit older & more tradtional in their style of dress. We met quite a few GLBT on this cruise. We'd still prefer if they gave us space in the Sky Lounge, where they're not as agressive in getting you to buy drinks(unlike in Molecular Bar)We were even "adopted" by a straight couple..Yeah, everyone loves the Asian Boy!(not me, my spouse!)Richard's like "Sara Lee"

Nobody doesn't like him!