Tried Oceania once, but not again

Kevnzworld

Seabourn is somewhat comparable to Oceania price-wise only if you're sailing in a Suite on Oceania.

For those content with a standard cabin, Oceania works out to cost a fraction of the Seabourn price.

By the way, Kevin, when describing the Seabourn fleet, you conveniently left out the Legend and the Spirit, two ships which are Twenty Seven and Twenty Five years old, respectively........naughty naughty.

I've priced a few Oceania European cruises for summer 2015. Their veranda prices with gratuities and beverage package are over $1000 per night. The same as a suite on Seabourn. Seabourn's standard veranda is a 300 sq ft suite.

It's not a fraction of Seabourn's, it's very close.

Seabourn has sold the two ships you mentioned to Windstar......:)

Edited by Kevnzworld

Seabourn is somewhat comparable to Oceania price-wise only if you're sailing in a Suite on Oceania.

For those content with a standard cabin, Oceania works out to cost a fraction of the Seabourn price.

Not to mention if you don't drink (or drink very little) :)

We are lucky to have so many choices to suit us all and we don't all have to try to fit onto the same ship or cruise line :D.

I've priced a few Oceania European cruises for summer 2015. Their veranda prices with gratuities and beverage package are over $1000 per night. The same as a suite on Seabourn. Seabourn's standard veranda is a 300 sq ft suite.

It's not a fraction of Seabourn's, it's very close.

Seabourn has sold the two ships you mentioned to Windstar......:)

We must get better deals in Australia because we would never cruise Oceania at $1000 per night for a std verandah (with gratuities and beverage).

Always had much cheaper than that:)

From what I have heard here on CC, you Down Under do NOT get a better deal.

But I'm not sure which apples I'm comparing to oranges. Maybe your cruise fare IS less. (Then again you'd have to make sure you're comparing the same level cabin. Obviously lower level cabins on O are generally a lot less than $1,000 a night.) But there are perks you don't get ... or so I believe.

I believe I have heard that if you cancel even before penalties kick in for those of us in North America, you lose the deposit or at least more of it than we would. You don't get the free air -- okay, not everyone takes the air and I can understand why free air to Europe from Australia would cost a heck of a lot more than it does from the U.S. or Canada, and therefore why it isn't available to you.

But if you're happy, I am happy!

Mura

P.S. We did three Renaissance cruises between October '99 and February '00. Another case of apples and oranges of course, but I'm directing this to the passenger demographics. On our first two cruises, it was mostly U.S. and Canadian passengers. It was only on the third where we encountered some Europeans and Australians on the cruise. Not a LOT, but a fair number. Had Ren managed to survive the crisis, I imagine that it would have increased marketing to other parts of the world ... as Oceania has.

Edited by Mura

I assume your pricing comparison of $1000/night is per cabin, not per person?

From what I have heard here on CC, you Down Under do NOT get a better deal.

But I'm not sure which apples I'm comparing to oranges. Maybe your cruise fare IS less. (Then again you'd have to make sure you're comparing the same level cabin. Obviously lower level cabins on O are generally a lot less than $1,000 a night.) But there are perks you don't get ... or so I believe.

I believe I have heard that if you cancel even before penalties kick in for those of us in North America, you lose the deposit or at least more of it than we would. You don't get the free air -- okay, not everyone takes the air and I can understand why free air to Europe from Australia would cost a heck of a lot more than it does from the U.S. or Canada, and therefore why it isn't available to you.

But if you're happy, I am happy!

Mura

P.S. We did three Renaissance cruises between October '99 and February '00. Another case of apples and oranges of course, but I'm directing this to the passenger demographics. On our first two cruises, it was mostly U.S. and Canadian passengers. It was only on the third where we encountered some Europeans and Australians on the cruise. Not a LOT, but a fair number. Had Ren managed to survive the crisis, I imagine that it would have increased marketing to other parts of the world ... as Oceania has.

Mura

You are right about the airfare from Australia. It hurts the pocket and the body:(

I smile when I see people complaining about the long flight from the east coast of USA to Canada.

Every flight to Europe of the US for us is at least 14 hours of actual flying time (and sometimes 23 hours:eek:)

We would love to be able to pick up some of the bargains I read about.

I suppose the effort makes the cruise more enjoyable and the distance makes us extend the holiday at each end to make it worthwhile:D

As for cancellations, I do not know, as we don't cancel:)

Wally, how great not to have to cancel ... but sometimes "stuff" happens. We've never had to cancel after final payment, praise me. But we're older now so it could always happen.

We fly to Europe from NY, so we're usually talking 6-8 hours. Very do-able even for me. When we flew to Auckland from L.A. (and back from Sydney), it was a very long 14 hours even in business class. We did NY-Beijing a few months later ... ugh! I could never do these flights in coach. When I was 25, it wouldn't have been a problem ...

When we have met Australians and New Zealanders on various trips we've discovered that when they can, they often plan a very long trip to make up for the long flights. When we were in Buenos Aires in 2002, we met a married couple, both attorneys, who were Australian but working in London. They generally took 3 month trips ... but their jobs gave them the time.

Mura

Wally, how great not to have to cancel ... but sometimes "stuff" happens. We've never had to cancel after final payment, praise me. But we're older now so it could always happen.

We fly to Europe from NY, so we're usually talking 6-8 hours. Very do-able even for me. When we flew to Auckland from L.A. (and back from Sydney), it was a very long 14 hours even in business class. We did NY-Beijing a few months later ... ugh! I could never do these flights in coach. When I was 25, it wouldn't have been a problem ...

When we have met Australians and New Zealanders on various trips we've discovered that when they can, they often plan a very long trip to make up for the long flights. When we were in Buenos Aires in 2002, we met a married couple, both attorneys, who were Australian but working in London. They generally took 3 month trips ... but their jobs gave them the time.

Mura

Mura

We have also graduated to business class flights otherwise I am not sure I would do it.

It is a bit like getting your first balcony...you can't go back:)

I love getting responses from around the world and enjoy your posts.

We have never been to New York (I know shock horror) but it is on the list in the near future.

I suppose I have been posting long enough to reveal our real names..the login includes our nick names with a long history:D

Steve and Sharyn

Edited by wally_bushy

Steve and Sharyn,

Let us know when you'll be here in NY and we'll try to take you around ... or at least meet for dinner! And we will always be open for suggestions as what to see.

Don't ask me for hotel recs, though ... I haven't stayed in a NYC hotel since 1964 ...

Mura

Steve and Sharyn,

Let us know when you'll be here in NY and we'll try to take you around ... or at least meet for dinner! And we will always be open for suggestions as what to see.

Don't ask me for hotel recs, though ... I haven't stayed in a NYC hotel since 1964 ...

Mura

We would love to meet :)

Now I have to start planning!

I will send you a separate email with some questions if that is OK

Steve

I assume your pricing comparison of $1000/night is per cabin, not per person?

Yes. It's inclusive of gratuities and a drink package.

We paid about $725 for the veranda on our Oceania Caribbean cruise. The other Oceania cruises we were looking at ( the new ships ) were in Europe and Tahiti and were closer to $1000 per night, exclusive of drinks.

Remember, these are 210 sq ft verandas. Seabourn has 300sq ft suites...similar pricing including gratuities and drinks....

We would love to meet :)

Now I have to start planning! I will send you a separate email with some questions if that is OK

Steve

It surely is. That is why my email address is posted below my comments.

If that address doesn't work (sometime it does not when coming through CC), try mura at speakeasy dot net.

Mura

Yes. It's inclusive of gratuities and a drink package.

We paid about $725 for the veranda on our Oceania Caribbean cruise. The other Oceania cruises we were looking at ( the new ships ) were in Europe and Tahiti and were closer to $1000 per night, exclusive of drinks.

Remember, these are 210 sq ft verandas. Seabourn has 300sq ft suites...similar pricing including gratuities and drinks....

I am a Seabourn regular and as much as I try to book a trip on the Two newer Oceania ships I always back out after reading about the style,size and prices that do not seem to be value when compared to the much smaller all inclusive luxury of Seabourn.

It's surely a no brainier to keep sailing Seabourn.

I am a Seabourn regular and as much as I try to book a trip on the Two newer Oceania ships I always back out after reading about the style,size and prices that do not seem to be value when compared to the much smaller all inclusive luxury of Seabourn.

It's surely a no brainier to keep sailing Seabourn.

Have to stick in my two cents..... we are Regent cruisers and also looked at Oceania. By the time we added on internet and the premium alcohol package, we were looking at prices close to what we pay on Regent. We finally decided to give Oceania a try and are pleased that we did. On our last Oceania cruise (we have been on two), we selected a Caribbean cruise as the prices on Oceania are excellent - especially for the top suites. We paid approximately $24K (including the alcohol package) for a Vista Suite - 14 nights on the Riviera. This was during the time Oceania had a special on "included gratuities and internet". The suite was huge - well laid out and came with lots of amenities.

The ship is magnificent -- the service was as good as Regent in most areas. While the main dining room and cafeteria were not to our liking, when you stay in one of the top suites you can dine in one of the four specialty restaurants every night (or have dinner served - course by course in your suite). We could not resist having dinner one night in our suite with a friend. Since 6 bottles of alcohol are included in your suite in addition to the alcohol that is included in the restaurants and lounges, we selected four bottles of wine (half of which was consumed at dinner). To be fair, it was not top quality wine but was quite drinkable.

While we have returned to Regent, we would sail Oceania again if the itinerary was right -- if it were one of the two new ships and we stayed in one of the top suites.

P.S. Oceania now includes internet (for one person) when you book a "named" suite.

Edited by Travelcat2

TC2...quote..P.S. Oceania now includes internet (for one person) when you book a "named" suite.

I do not understand what a "Named" cruise is, but on our Regatta Alaska May 2015, we get free internet, gratuities, and OBC. We are in a Concierge Veranda cabin and not a Suite but may have TA look into an up sell closer to cruise date.

TC2...quote..P.S. Oceania now includes internet (for one person) when you book a "named" suite.

I do not understand what a "Named" cruise is, but on our Regatta Alaska May 2015, we get free internet, gratuities, and OBC. We are in a Concierge Veranda cabin and not a Suite but may have TA look into an up sell closer to cruise date.

Named Suite = top suites like OS VS OC

The new internet perks are for those suites on ALL cruises starting with the Winter 2015 cruises

See details

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/value/internet-packages/

see start dates at the bottom of the page

PH & Concierge cabins get limited minutes free

Your cruise probably has free internet & PPG for the whole cruise if you booked when the perks were advertised different packaged perks

Edited by LHT28

Named Suite = top suites like OS VS OC

The new internet perks are for those suites on ALL cruises

Your cruise probably has free internet & PPG for the whole cruise if you booked when the perks were advertised

Thank you LHT28,

We booked this quite some time ago, and I noticed they were now offering more incentives and TA had them added. This is in early May, and I noticed their is still availability and may consider upgrade as this ship was recently redone and is supposed to be lovely. We like chilly weather unlike most :)

I would agree there :D

Try a Norway cruise to the Arctic Circle ...loved it

Lyn

We have done the Baltic and Norway etc. and are returning to cruise the Norwegian Fjords in 2016. Thanks for the tips. Stay warm in Toronto, my Dad lives in Burlington and said it is freezing.