Tried Oceania once, but not again

Kevnzworld

We have sailed on a few different lines but mostly Celebrity, mainly because of itinerary and cost and what it offers is fine for us.

We've sailed on the older ships and the new ships, had inside cabins, balcony, extended balcony, in Aqua class , concierge class, been in a suite with a butler ( ok, not the super duper suites, but a suite nevertheless) eaten in the main dining rooms and in Blu, where we have had some of the best food, and excellent courteous service.

We've eaten in the speciality restaurants, but only occasionally, except on our cruise on the Celebrity Constellation last year where the food and service in the OceanLiners was excellent (for us).

We've sailed on Azamara(once), again, because the itinerary and price was right for us, and we weren't disappointed with our experience.

We don't go on a cruise to find new friends, but inevitably, we have met some really lovely people, of all ages and nationalities.

This year will be our first O cruise, because the itinerary and I was gobsmacked to find that the price was right, for us.

To wake up most mornings in another port, see different cultures, see beautiful scenery ( as long as we don't dock in industrial ports) , someone makes my bed, gives me clean towels twice a day , or as often as I want them, and most of all, cooks food, that in general is definitely more varied than I have at home....oh, and clears up after I've finished ...then generally, I'm a very happy bunny ;)

Maybe we are not at critical as others although My DP stood in the buffet one lunchtime on the Celebrity Reflection and claimed "there's nothing here for me to eat " ...but that's another story :o

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that, this year we will be on the Riviera and I for one , am really looking forward to it. :)

Fortunately for us all, neither is haggis, another delicacy which I've never seen on any ship at any time.

They do serve it on Oceania for Robbie Burns night :D

You may not have been on a cruise at the right time

Fortunately for us all, neither is haggis, another delicacy which I've never seen on any ship at any time. For some the deal breaker is second-hand smoke. For me, haggis may qualify.

We've seen it on Swan Hellenic but stayed clear of it :D

They do serve it on Oceania for Robbie Burns night :D

You may not have been on a cruise at the right time

Lyn is quite right - we were there too on the same cruise!

As only a few are aware, Robert Burns night is held on or near to July 21, the anniversary of his death. Oceania prepared a haggis, exactly as expected, and served it, sliced by a true Scots dagger. I did miss the pipes, normally accompanying the presentation of the haggis, but none were available - so it didn't occur.....

Lyn is quite right - we were there too on the same cruise!

As only a few are aware, Robert Burns night is held on or near to July 21, the anniversary of his death. Oceania prepared a haggis, exactly as expected, and served it, sliced by a true Scots dagger. I did miss the pipes, normally accompanying the presentation of the haggis, but none were available - so it didn't occur.....

I think we had it in June :)

It was when we were in Scotland & I was sure it was piped in along with staff in kilts (or maybe piped in on a January cruise we were on)

I cannot recall the Captain but he was also in a Kilt if I remember he was Italian so made a joke about it

They read the ode to the haggis as well

I passed on it ;)

Burns Night is in January :confused:

That is true

I think Rickey was just confused about the cruise date it was in June 2004 that we were on the same cruise

The ship did the special dinner as were were doing several ports in Scotland

Edited by LHT28

Not in Scotland it isn't. Burns night celebrates his birthday, the 25th of January, not the date of his death.

>Oceania cabins are priced in the $1000 per night range including tax, gratuities and beverages. <

I think that might be the basis of the OP's concerns.

The cabins my Lady Wife and I frequent on Oceania are about 1/2 that, t,g and b included.

>Oceania cabins are priced in the $1000 per night range including tax, gratuities and beverages. <

I think that might be the basis of the OP's concerns.

The cabins my Lady Wife and I frequent on Oceania are about 1/2 that, t,g and b included.

That's part of it. We paid closer to $700 per night with the beverage packages. Some future cruises we've looked at are more expensive however and are currently priced closer to $1000 per cabin per night WITH beverages.

For that price, I was expecting food more like what I've previously described.

Food that frankly I experienced on Seabourn, which is similarly priced but with a larger cabin with a walk in closet. ( beverages included )

Edited by Kevnzworld

Fortunately for us all, neither is haggis, another delicacy which I've never seen on any ship at any time. For some the deal breaker is second-hand smoke. For me, haggis may qualify.

Haggis ? Now that we are including heart, liver and lungs from an animal how about Southern Fried Mountain Oysters ! :eek:

If you want a good laugh, you should try to find a thread I found (totally by chance;NOT in Oceania section) about the craziest thing people have seen or heard or requested or complained about on a cruise ship. I wish I had bookmarked it, because it was hysterical. I kept reading things to my husband and we got tons of good laughs.

You must have heard a couple of things that happened to me. On my last cruise at a Q&A session with the Captain someone asked the Captain if he had ever been on a ship that sunk. He replied if I had I would not be Captain on this ship.

On same ship a passenger noticed that I was wearing a patch behind my ear to prevent motion sickness. She saw the patch and thought it was something else and asked me what ethnic group I was; I stated Apache :D !

... a passenger noticed that I was wearing a patch behind my ear to prevent motion sickness. She saw the patch and thought it was something else and asked me what ethnic group I was; I stated Apache :D !

Okay, I'll bite. What on earth could that passenger imagined the patch might have been?

:d

"a patchee". Got it. Good one..,appreciate where you're coming from; maybe because i have a little cracker in me, too...at least, after 40 some years, a yankee cracker ;)

:)

Edited by ceba

I have considerable experience in Food...studied at Cordon Blu and CIA... in my younger days. Oceana is too those standards. Classic presentation well done and well presented.......

This my comment, when ever I read the comment" inedible" that sets the complaint in a very special class. One in which the Princess and the Pea resides.

Rick has a "very specific" idea of good cuisine that is his and his alone. Rick had very specific personal ideas not shared by most. Not that they are wrong..only confined to his personal attitude.

That's fine... but it is no way a reflection of what is reality for others.

Food is top quality.

To complain about frozen food is to bare ones personal knowlwdge or lack thereof, steeped in a faulty or distorted word of mouth; One of the great urban myths around. My reality is a flash frozen meat or fish will always surpass a fresh product that has to lay on ice for 24 to 36 hours !!!

I live near La quinta and Palm Springs and can fairly say there isn't a restaurant in the region that come close to Oceania ... not in any cuisine except Mexican!

I have sailed Regent too....and let me say this...if you find something grossly awful... I suggest a visit to the mirror to discover the real problem .

The reality is that. Oceiana To me over 43 days provided flawless product

Oh, amigo...proper fish and chips is not served with tarter sauce but malt viniger... unless you consider Long John Silvers the standard.

I have considerable experience in Food...studied at Cordon Blu and CIA... in my younger days. Oceana is too those standards. Classic presentation well done and well presented.......

This my comment, when ever I read the comment" inedible" that sets the complaint in a very special class. One in which the Princess and the Pea resides.

Rick has a "very specific" idea of good cuisine that is his and his alone. Rick had very specific personal ideas not shared by most. Not that they are wrong..only confined to his personal attitude.

That's fine... but it is no way a reflection of what is reality for others.

Food is top quality.

To complain about frozen food is to bare ones personal knowlwdge or lack thereof, steeped in a faulty or distorted word of mouth; One of the great urban myths around. My reality is a flash frozen meat or fish will always surpass a fresh product that has to lay on ice for 24 to 36 hours !!!

I live near La quinta and Palm Springs and can fairly say there isn't a restaurant in the region that come close to Oceania ... not in any cuisine except Mexican!

I have sailed Regent too....and let me say this...if you find something grossly awful... I suggest a visit to the mirror to discover the real problem .

The reality is that. Oceiana To me over 43 days provided flawless product

Oh, amigo...proper fish and chips is not served with tarter sauce but malt viniger... unless you consider Long John Silvers the standard.

" Dan " :

We've shared contrasting views on the Celebrity board a few times as well, though I don't know who " Rick" is...( I'm Kevin ) .

I live in LA, but have a home in La Quinta, and yes I agree, with few exceptions the food in the desert is pretty bad. ( Morgans, and Cuistot are exceptions ).

Yes, Oceania is good if " classic presentations " ( as you put it ) of standard classic recipes circa 1975 is what you like. I'm not saying that classic recipes aren't great SOMETIMES.., just not all the time. Modern great restaurants reinterpret the classics, they don't replicate them.

La Reserve is a good example, I really liked it.

I didn't think that Oceania's food was THAT good even for what it is. Under seasoned and drowned in butter accompanied by over steamed vegis..Ok, that's an over simplification and maybe an exaggeration.

As I posted many times, I prefer modern cuisine, or modern interpretations of classic dishes ( La Reserve ) over classic dishes, prepared the classic way... So my review has to be read with that caveat.

I never complained about Regents food ( ? ). I sailed on Regent for years but became tired of the old ships....

I've spent a LOT of time in London...yes, fish and chips is served with malt vinegar, but I've also been served tartar ( remoulade ) sauce with fish and chips, or it was available as often as mustard and ketchup is at a hot dog stand here. In fact, if you look it up in Wikipedia , there's a picture of tartar sauce served with?....you guessed it..Fish and Chips

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartar_sauce

As far as Long John Silvers is concerned, I've never been to one, so you would know more about that than I would...

Edited by Kevnzworld