Tried Oceania once, but not again

Kevnzworld

I start to be a bit nervous after all the comments. We have booked our honeymoon cruise on Riviera for next summer. We have done 6 cruises on Celebrity and 4 of them in Aqua class and want something more luxurious for our honeymoon. We dont mind the older passengers but we booked this cruise because of the FOOD. I hope we won't be dissappointed! :)

You will be fine, it's fun to try the different restaurants and to tell the truth we like the terrace grill the most as you can eat outdoors as the ship leaves port. Service is very nice and ship is very nice. I really do not understand all the hub bub about the food, at some point food is food. How good can a steak or lobster really get? As a point of reference I would rate the service and food as good or better than Aqua, better in that there are much more choices. I have lived in NY my whole life and my work life was on Wall st, in as much I ate in all of the great and famous NY restaurants, Oceania will not be a disappointment from the food point for a cruise ship. This whole thing is because someone disliked the food and everyone is trying to point out they are wrong. Congratulations on your marriage and have a great trip.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

We just exited a ten day Caribbean cruise aboard the Riviera. We are avid cruisers, and have done at least 15 cruises aboard Celebrity in the last 4-5 years. I had sailed on Regent a half dozen times before that.

The Riviera was as beautiful as we expected. The condition of the stateroom was nice, the room itself only about 10% larger than Celebrity which is smaller than I expected for the money. We had sailed on Seabourn eight months ago and their staterooms are significantly larger The Oceania closet doors were difficult to use and to access clothing. I preferred the walkin closets on Regent and Seabourn.

The stateroom attendant didn't introduce herself until the third day, and never asked our preferences.

The passengers on Oceania are older on average than the other lines I've been on, at least on this cruise . I would estimate that 80% of the ship was over 75 yo.

We had decided to try Oceania after hearing about the food. This is the area that we were most disappointed. The food is heavy, red meat centered and very traditional and old fashioned.

I live in LA and consider myself a " foodie " and I was expecting more flavor and technique. Except for La Reserve ( which was very good ) it's absent on Oceania. The menu descriptions are overly flowery almost to the point of being comedic. Jacque's is something out of the 1970's, and like Red Ginger, the food is a caricature of common american versions of the respective French and Asian dishes. I had the duck confit dish and the John Dory in Jacque's ..both were heavy on butter and light on flavor. The fennel in the latter was soggy to the point of being inedible. More butter doesn't make the flavorless have flavor.

The red curry chicken in Red Ginger is poorly executed as well. Anybody that eats and likes Thai food would be disappointed. The lauded lobster is frozen, and except for the specialty restaurants, warm water. I had the Lobster with tagliatelle in Toscana and it was tough and not edible.

The Terrace buffet is pretty much along the same lines. The prepared salads weren't great and given there isn't self service the salad bar is difficult to navigate. The food itself is heavy dinner style food served during the day....sliced roasts, mashed potatoes , polenta ...sauce etc.

Vegetable preparations with flair or respect are almost non existent. Overcooked steamed or butter sautéed mixed vegis is boring.

Some items weren't prepared properly, like the fish and chips...they didn't have tarter sauce. Waves burgers with missing or wrong preparations etc

The best thing on Oceania is there everyday roast chicken. They describe it differently in the various restaurants, but the staff confided that it's the same chicken.

The extra cost of the alcohol was the final deal killer for us. The beverage package adds an extra $60 per night per person. The wines by the glass aren't very good. It's the same list throughout the ship and in all of the restaurants. I was surprised that they don't offer different wines in the Italian and French restaurants. I guess they want to sell wine by the bottle.

I could go on, but I thought I'd share this review for other cruisers who may be trying to decide between lines like, Celebrity, Seabourn , Oceania etc..

For us it's Seabourn or a suite on Celebrity

Hi Kevin,

It was a pleasure meeting you at La Reserve. Sorry to hear your experience was less than pleasing. Several people on the ship made comparisons to Seabourn. I think I need to book one with them soon to see what all the fuss is about. :-)

I look forward to your Celebrity review in a few months as I'm eager to hear your opinion on their suites-only restaurant.

Hi Kevin,

It was a pleasure meeting you at La Reserve. Sorry to hear your experience was less than pleasing. Several people on the ship made comparisons to Seabourn. I think I need to book one with them soon to see what all the fuss is about. :-)

I look forward to your Celebrity review in a few months as I'm eager to hear your opinion on their suites-only restaurant.

Haha, I just replied to your review. It was much more comprehensive than mine and a lot more balanced...

We decided to try Paul Gauguin next January

I should have known that after an absence from these boards, the most popular recent thread would be one regarding food, perhaps the most subjective of any subject you could raise here.

Thanks, Kevnzworld, for posting your opinion regarding the food on Riviera. We disembarked Riviera when you embarked, and I thought the food was great. I lived in NYC for many years before my exile to the Midwest and was in a profession there where eating at some lovely restaurants was part of the business, so I believe I also can prooffer some food bonafides.

Although I personally disagree with your assessment, one thing I have noticed and mentioned previously on these boards is that the menus in the "non-specialty" restaurant menus are far less daring and far more conservative now than the ones we enjoyed on our first "O"-class Oceania cruise on Marina in June 2011.

We had a sailing hiatus on Oceania from then until January 2014, and although what is offered is prepared very well IMO, both the variety and creativity of the menu was much reduced than that on display when Marina first sailed. I assume that Oceania in putting together their Terrace Cafe and Grand Dining Room menus simply are responding to guest food comments in keeping the menus to what I would term traditionally American or Continental cuisines.

As a caveat, I perhaps should mention that my favorite dining out food is what most Americans would term "ethnic" food. If I easily can cook it at home, I do not order it when dining out. Also, I am allergic to fish (with fins and scales) so I cannot comment on fish dishes.

Edited by CintiPam

I should have known that after an absence from these boards, the most popular recent thread would be one regarding food, perhaps the most subjective of any subject you could raise here.

Thanks, Kevnzworld, for posting your opinion regarding the food on Riviera. We disembarked Riviera when you embarked, and I thought the food was great. I lived in NYC for many years before my exile to the Midwest and was in a profession there where eating at some lovely restaurants was part of the business, so I believe I also can prooffer some food bonafides.

Although I personally disagree with your assessment, one thing I have noticed and mentioned previously on these boards is that the menus in the "non-specialty" restaurant menus are far less daring and far more conservative now than the ones we enjoyed on our first "O"-class Oceania cruise on Marina in June 2011.

We had a sailing hiatus on Oceania from then until January 2014, and although what is offered is prepared very well IMO, both the variety and creativity of the menu was much reduced than that on display when Marina first sailed. I assume that Oceania in putting together their Terrace Cafe and Grand Dining Room menus simply are responding to guest food comments in keeping the menus to what I would term traditionally American or Continental cuisines.

As a caveat, I perhaps should mention that my favorite dining out food is what most Americans would term "ethnic" food. If I easily can cook it at home, I do not order it when dining out. Also, I am allergic to fish (with fins and scales) so I cannot comment on fish dishes.

Yes, I guess that's a better way of saying it. " traditional american or continental " cuisine. I said something out of a Gourmet cookbook circa 1975.

Re : Your comment regarding the specialty restaurant menus. Our waiter in Red Ginger put it this way, I'm paraphrasing of course : the food here isn't supposed to be authentic, just representations of various Asian foods prepared for a western palate....

I repeat...I never said the food was bad, just less than what I had expected both in creativity and execution...La Reserve being the exception

Edited by Kevnzworld

I assume that Oceania in putting together their Terrace Cafe and Grand Dining Room menus simply are responding to guest food comments in keeping the menus to what I would term traditionally American or Continental cuisines.

You bet they do. On our Riviera cruise, they told us how many times certain dishes were ordered = how popular they were. By far the most popular was the Chilean bass in Red Ginger, a dish that was too sweet for me. I am sure they have dropped dishes that were rarely ordered.

Overall I really loved the food on our Oceania cruises. Who can fault fresh berries, excellent bread and pastries, French cheeses, sushi, warm endive vegetables, boeuf bourguignon (much older tradition than 1975) and much more.

We just got off Regent, and we felt the food on Oceania was far, far superior to Regent. Please understand I'm not complaining, but my palate selects Oceania

Of courese we LOVE The Terrace Cafe over and above Sete Mare On Regent for the evenings. When we come back really tired from tours, we can clean up, go to the Terrace, and have just a little soup and salad, sushi, or whatever, and hit the hay.

Well, I guess when you are seniors as we are, lighter meals are the meals of choice. I can never remember not finding something on Oceania we could not eat. On Regent when we wanted something light, went to the dining room (because we had to) to have a bowl of soup, we were still there 2 hrs later. Not our choice. And of course, eating in our room is not an option for us.

Anyway, we love both lines. It has just proven after this last trip that the O food and arrangements is better than on R. (In our opinion). ;)

I agree with the OP; the food on the Riviera was not what I like.

Being a Southern Boy, it was amazing that on the first day after leaving the dock that I would go to breakfast at their Terrace Grill and ask one of the ladies behind the serving counter, "Can I have some Grits!". She replied in a French accent, "What are Gets?" I said grits! This went nowhere so I mosey downed to another counter where they were serving pancakes. I guess Oceania was rationing pancake batter on the first day out based on the size of those pancakes. My gosh, the Grand Slam at Denny's has larger cakes than these. I could continue but what the heck.

Then there was lunch outside and something called the Wave Grill. I looked at the menu and there it was; a Kobe Burger. I'm a Miami Heat fan; it would be more approprate to have a Dwayane Wade burger at the Wave; Wade at the Wave; now that sounds right.

Finally Dinner at a placed called Red Ginger. Ordered Sea Bass; never ate before. Unless you count that I fish for bass in my pond out back and I salt it before I eat it. Well they bring this fish wrapped in leaves from who knows where. I guess if I don't like it I can smoke it. And it is held together by these little tiny clothes pins. Since the pins could not be reused to hand clothes my wife took the pins and made earrings out of them. Next time she wears them around the house hope she not drying my undees from her ears.:D

I'm RedneckBob, and I see it like I tell it, I mean tell it like I see it!

When I travel in the south (U.S.), I expect to see grits on a menu. That doesn't mean I will choose to order them, though ... But I'd never expect to see them on a cruise ship menu. Maybe if the ship's home port is in the south!

If you want big pancakes, try them in the GDR for breakfast or brunch ...

Can't disagree with you about Red Ginger ...

Mura

I agree with the OP; the food on the Riviera was not what I like.

Being a Southern Boy, it was amazing that on the first day after leaving the dock that I would go to breakfast at their Terrace Grill and ask one of the ladies behind the serving counter, "Can I have some Grits!". She replied in a French accent, "What are Gets?" I said grits! This went nowhere so I mosey downed to another counter where they were serving pancakes. I guess Oceania was rationing pancake batter on the first day out based on the size of those pancakes. My gosh, the Grand Slam at Denny's has larger cakes than these. I could continue but what the heck.

Then there was lunch outside and something called the Wave Grill. I looked at the menu and there it was; a Kobe Burger. I'm a Miami Heat fan; it would be more approprate to have a Dwayane Wade burger at the Wave; Wade at the Wave; now that sounds right.

Finally Dinner at a placed called Red Ginger. Ordered Sea Bass; never ate before. Unless you count that I fish for bass in my pond out back and I salt it before I eat it. Well they bring this fish wrapped in leaves from who knows where. I guess if I don't like it I can smoke it. And it is held together by these little tiny clothes pins. Since the pins could not be reused to hand clothes my wife took the pins and made earrings out of them. Next time she wears them around the house hope she not drying my undees from her ears.:D

I'm RedneckBob, and I see it like I tell it, I mean tell it like I see it!

Thanks for the good laugh!

So now we have an LA foodie who likes cutting edge food, a southern redneck comedian who likes familiar (to the south, anyway) food like grits and Wade at the Wave burgers, and probably a lot of people who fall in between. What's a cruise line to do? It's a good thing the cruising industry supports all kinds of ships and food!

I agree that the much-written about sea bass in Red Ginger is not the best choice (for me) and also agree with Mura that pancakes are only good in the dining room (plus you can get waffles with toppings too!)

The have breakfast food for almost all nationalities and they forgot grits? How shocking! :rolleyes: It is what it is. When you travel, you experience new foods. :D

They DO serve polenta a lot in the Terrace grill during lunch...it's similar to what what southern people refer to as grits.

Ole Redneck could have probably got polenta had he known that, haha :)

I think RedneckBob is pulling our leg :D

If not, Kevinzworld should be worried as their tastes in food seem to be the same/similar (i.e. Bob didn't liked the food either) -quote: "I agree with the OP; the food on the Riviera was not what I like." :D :D :D

Edited by Paulchili

All these food requests - not only on Oceania, I have read requests for paleo and strict vegan on other ships - remind me of one traveler that drove us nuts on a land tour. He would walk around the breakfast room looking for his favorite food items in Tibet and in Szechuan. After the first few days

in Beijing, he gave up on his hope for kale and protein drinks. His wife had to taste each food item before he ate and tell him whether it was bland enough for his palate. So any time somebody requests specific familiar food from back home, my gut reaction is oh no, not again! :eek:

"Then there was lunch outside and something called the Wave Grill. I looked at the menu and there it was; a Kobe Burger. I'm a Miami Heat fan; it would be more approprate to have a Dwayane Wade burger at the Wave; Wade at the Wave; now that sounds right."

That is the funniest thing I have heard in weeks..

Good one!!

Jancruz1

Thanks, RedneckBob, for providing me with my first laugh of the day!:D

If you want a good laugh, you should try to find a thread I found (totally by chance;NOT in Oceania section) about the craziest thing people have seen or heard or requested or complained about on a cruise ship. I wish I had bookmarked it, because it was hysterical. I kept reading things to my husband and we got tons of good laughs.

By the way, I am not talking about the comments in this thread, which are pretty tame and reasonable.

I guess you pay the price for going on a small, luxury lite, ship. The maga ships have grits and gravy for breakfast and true luxury lines will make just about anything to order. I am thankful I am not beholding to any line, my money works on all.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Edited by hypercafe

you know what I didn't like? The Surf and Turf thing at Waves. I read nothing but great things about it before we sailed. But mine was dry and tasteless. I really came prepared to love it. The Ruben was pretty good though.

They DO serve polenta a lot in the Terrace grill during lunch...it's similar to what what southern people refer to as grits.

Ole Redneck could have probably got polenta had he known that, haha :)

I grew up in Alabama and I'm not trying to be too political but:

"I know grits and polentas ain't no grits"

Ah contrarie, try getting a fried baloney with cheese and mayo sandwich. ;)

I guess I was lucky or unlucky but I never asked for that. The things I wanted I got at the most the next day !!!

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app