Tried Oceania once, but not again

Kevnzworld

Randy, a most reasoned and rationale response. I'm glad to see you aren't being scared off by some negative reviews.

I have no way of knowing if you'll end up back on Oceania after your cruise, or you will return to Celebrity. (Any more than you do.) But no line is perfect for everyone. Our TA is close to Oceania, but has sailed on Celebrity and found it to be a very satisfactory experience. I imagine that we would, too ... although we haven't done it yet!

Mura

Mura

We are really excited about our first Oceania experience. We are booked on Riviera and are pleased with the stateroom we were able to secure. We are so familiar with the routine at Celebrity, so getting to know the ins and outs of Oceania will be a learning process at best. It starts with 1 step at a time.

Randy

• 5 months later...

We've cruised on Regent 5 times. Regent is way too expensive, so we set our cruising sights towards Celebrity. We're taking our 2nd Celebrity cruise this week. Loved our first Celebrity cruise and the Blu dining experience, being in Aqua class cabin. I had read some negative reviews about Blu and hoped our experiences there would be anything but negative. We were blown away with Blu, despite reading negative reviews. We've booked Oceania's Sirena for next year. Eager to give Oceania a try, as we've been interested in Oceania for some time now. If interested in any particular cruise line, give it a try. Hopefully, you're pleasantly surprised and pleased. Food is very subjective, so I take reviews with a "grain of salt." Experiences vary, but we go with an open mind and hope our experiences will be favorable and enjoyable ones. Can't wait for our first Oceania cruise next October!

Denise

Edited by nyfeds

wouldn't waste your time our money with Oceania cruise line!!

Beware as they will take your money and not deliver on their promise...

My wife and I who was handicapped took our first year anniversary cruise for the first time tried what we thought would have been top shelve service by purchasing a penthouse suite with butler service. SO DISAPPOINTED as when things go wrong Oceania just sticks their nose in the air with a don't care attitude .

The butler never introduced himself to help in pack our bags , we called after three hours on the boat who is the butler???

Concierge service "Tudor" employee half way through the trip tried to give us a 15 minute bridge your making it sound like it was special.. Little did we know it was with 15 other people .

Customer Service is truly poor and not acceptable , they should take some advice and experience from Royal Caribbean International on cruising.

We took the Riviera in February 2015 and what a night mare !!

Should have known when we first checked in they didn't even have enough pens for health insurance forms to fill out!!

No one to assist wheeling my wife in a wheel chair to the room and above all beware when they try to give you something as compensation example a bottle if wine to say sorry it's the cheapest bottle , how about $8.00 for a high end ship... Really !!! Then they take it away as its a white to exchange for red and you never see it here about that bottle again.

You ask for the General Manager or CEO of this corporation to call you for another concern as Oceania gives you a electronic survey two days prior to getting off the boat , it sits on your penthouse desk for two days and the last day someone in the company removes it and claims they don't know who, that's B. S.

So if you want to be taken for and lied too and cheated out of services not rendered, go ahead take Oceania , I will NEVER take this cruise line again.

I have cruised at least 12 times with Royal Caribbean International . Diamond status

1 time with Carnival

1 time with Disney

I am not new to the cruising industry... Just saying !

Beware as they will take your money and not deliver on their promise

The butler never introduced himself to help in pack our bags , we called after three hours on the boat who.

Customer Service is truly poor and not acceptable , they should take some advice and experience from Royal Caribbean International on cruising.

Should have known when we first checked in they didn't even have enough pens for health insurance forms to fill

So if you want to be taken for and lied too and cheated out of services not rendered, go ahead take Oceania , I will NEVER take O again. ...

Reply OMG not enough pens???

13 Oceania cruises with 8 butlers who were all very good and attentive with some being outstanding... You DO not get a butler who works just for you.

I am sure your past cruise lines will welcome you back with " open arms".......

Edited by orchestrapal

Beware as they will take your money and not deliver on their promise...

My wife and I who was handicapped took our first year anniversary cruise for the first time tried what we thought would have been top shelve service by purchasing a penthouse suite with butler service. SO DISAPPOINTED as when things go wrong Oceania just sticks their nose in the air with a don't care attitude .

The butler never introduced himself to help in pack our bags , we called after three hours on the boat who is the butler???

Concierge service "Tudor" employee half way through the trip tried to give us a 15 minute bridge your making it sound like it was special.. Little did we know it was with 15 other people .

We took the Riviera in February 2015 and what a night mare !!

Should have known when we first checked in they didn't even have enough pens for health insurance forms to fill out!!

No one to assist wheeling my wife in a wheel chair to the room and above all beware when they try to give you something as compensation example a bottle if wine to say sorry it's the cheapest bottle , how about $8.00 for a high end ship... Really !!! Then they take it away as its a white to exchange for red and you never see it here about that bottle again.

You ask for the General Manager or CEO of this corporation to call you for another concern as Oceania gives you a electronic survey two days prior to getting off the boat , it sits on your penthouse desk for two days and the last day someone in the company removes it and claims they don't know who, that's B. S.

So if you want to be taken for and lied too and cheated out of services not rendered, go ahead take Oceania , I will NEVER take this cruise line again.

I have cruised at least 12 times with Royal Caribbean International . Diamond status

1 time with Carnival

1 time with Disney

I am not new to the cruising industry... Just saying !

This is only an observation, but other than not having someone to help with pushing your wife's wheelchair, I'm having a real hard time finding any legitimate complaints in your post.

Such a different experience than what has been ours.

Recently had a relatively small issue related to wine service on Riviera and hotel manager requested to meet with me.

Several months ago, I wrote an e-mail to O's president (his direct e-mail) regarding new, less restrictive e-cig policy and got a personal reply that same morning (a Sunday!). Policy was dropped the next day.

Nonetheless, you should not have to endure what you perceive to be bad service. So, you may definitely want to return to RCL.

Yes I will definitely return to RCL as I already have for my past June cruise and spent half the amount of money being $8000.00 and had far superior service.

Future 2016 New Brunswick fall cruise is already booked with RCL also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we were on Marina 18 months ago we were very happy with the food and our suite was amazing. Surely if you are not happy with the food served you simply ask for something else or you let the staff aware that its not good enough.

We are still talking about the two nights that we had in La Reserve... it was that good and we loved Red Ginger so much that we went 5 times during an 18 night voyage (thanks to our Butler).

As for the alcohol prices they are reasonable and the prices charged are below what a five star hotel on land would charge and surely that's what a cruise ship really is....!

I would say that if you had spent more money and had a stunning suite and were not so picky about your lobster you would have probably enjoyed your vacation more.

Finally we are in our 40s and yes we were some of the youngest but I can honestly say that we met some amazing passengers who we still keep in touch and yes they are retired!.

I LOVE that the buffet on Oceania is NOT self service.

When you've seen a guy at a top class (admittedly beachside) hotel turn up to dinner in a vest top and reach across the seafood buffet while sweat dripped from his sweaty armpits I think you might understand where I'm coming from.

I LOVE that the buffet on Oceania is NOT self service.

When you've seen a guy at a top class (admittedly beachside) hotel turn up to dinner in a vest top and reach across the seafood buffet while sweat dripped from his sweaty armpits I think you might understand where I'm coming from.

Amen!

Self service buffets disgust me unless I am there the moment they open.

Mercer01,

We've had very different experiences. Sorry to hear you don't like Oceania. You raved about Royal Caribbean, which happens to be the only other cruise line I've been on besides Oceania. RC is nice but they are megaships and if you don't mind spending your vacation with 3000+ people, then you're fine. I happen to like the smaller ships of Oceania. On sea days on RC, good luck trying to find a chair to sit on outside whereas on Oceania it's not a problem.

You didn't mention the spa but I just wanted to share my experience with the 2 cruise lines. I am not a regular spa-goer at home but when I'm on a cruise I like to splurge with a pedicure or perhaps a facial. Royal Caribbean's spa is very mediocre and blah while Oceania's is top-level and a better value. RC's spa prices are not cheap and you get more for your money on Oceania.

Your comment about not enough pens…..seriously?

Kevnzworld,

I love the food on Oceania. I find the food at Terrace Buffet to be very good and I like that it isn't self service for sanitary reasons.

75 is an exaggeration for average age. I haven't been on Oceania in 3 years so maybe it's changed but I doubt it. I just turned 60 and I'll say I'm in the middle age range. We were in a Suite with butler service on the Riviera and found it to be outstanding. Our next Oceania cruise will be next year to the Panama Canal and my husband and I are very much looking forward to it.

IMO, it is not a big deal if some posters do not care for Oceania -- after all, not everyone likes the same things. I do have a suggestion for posters that have cruised other lines and are just trying Oceania (or any other line) for the first time. Don't try to compare everything to what you are used to. Oceania is not Celebrity and is not trying to be (or in our case, it is not Regent and is run quite differently).

As Regent loyalists that have tried Silversea three times and Oceania twice (so far), we learned to "go with the flow" of the new cruise line and not judge every little thing. Food is so subjective - what one person likes, the other doesn't. We don't care for the Terrace Café and others love it. We love Jacques and a previous poster thinks it is old fashioned (nothing wrong with that iMO - especially in such a unique and special venue as Jacques). The post about frozen lobster made me scratch my head. Unless a ship is large enough to have a place for live lobster and crab, it is going to be frozen. Obviously fresh is better but there are not a lot of choices on a cruise ship.

In terms of assisting wheelchair passengers, Oceania is clear that you need to be traveling with someone that can assist you since Oceania can not be responsible. I'm assuming that this is a liability issue. As much as a crew member may want to help, if a passenger falls and is injured, the cruise line is liable.

In terms of age, it is mostly retired people that sail on premium and luxury cruise lines for a few reasons. One is that they have more time to vacation (which is why you find the age skewing higher on longer itineraries), another is the cost and finally, many premium and luxury passengers do not want to sail with children as they have "been there - done that". I know many people that pay close attention to when school is not in session so the odds of children on board will be minimal. There are children on Oceania during the summer and school breaks.

While we remain Regent loyalists, we found Oceania to have great service and food -- better than Regent in some venues and not up to Regent in others (again, this is subjective). For various reasons, we will only sail on the larger ships as the smaller ships have staterooms that do not meet our size requirements.

Hopefully the people that were not happy with Oceania will simply go back to the cruise line that meets their needs. As for me, I'm leaving for a lobster dinner (large lobsters that were not previously frozen:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

good luck on your next trip with Oceania, I don't wish our experience that we had too any one!!!

For the pen comment , you have hundreds of people trying to check in and filling out health forms , for the price of pens an entire box should be giving out to speed up a process of filling out forms , just saying.

I have been on all the middle class boats with Royal and I have always found a chair , just like Oceania we found a chair , the food was just as equal on both companies also .

I do believe that Oceania $299.95 for a 90 minute massage compared to Royal Caribbean of $189.95 for 90 minute was a better value.

I am not here to argue about this as Oceania customer service has no one that will talk too you over the phone .

good luck on your next trip with Oceania, I don't wish our experience that we had too any one!!!

For the pen comment , you have hundreds of people trying to check in and filling out health forms , for the price of pens an entire box should be giving out to speed up a process of filling out forms , just saying.

I have been on all the middle class boats with Royal and I have always found a chair , just like Oceania we found a chair , the food was just as equal on both companies also .

I do believe that Oceania $299.95 for a 90 minute massage compared to Royal Caribbean of $189.95 for 90 minute was a better value.

I am not here to argue about this as Oceania customer service has no one that will talk too you over the phone .

The actual price in Oceania's spa might be higher but it is a better value. The experience and service is so much better. For the most part, Royal Caribbean is a nice cruise line but I definitely wouldn't return to their spa.

As long as we're comparing food between the two lines, I'll add another comment about that. I am not a big red meat eater- I'll have it occasionally but my preference is white fish. Royal Caribbean does not have it in their MDR. They only have salmon and shrimp. They usually have a couple of red meat selections on the menu every night but never white fish. You have to go to a specialty restaurant for it and there is an extra charge to do that. As I recall, Oceania had white fish and lobster on their menu every night in the Grand Dining Room.

Just a suggestion...in this age where everyone is concerned about hand-sanitizers: make sure to have your own pen to fill out the pre-boarding health forms! The last cruise we checked in for (different line) we also had to wait for a pen and then I realized that none of the hands reaching for the pens had washed or used sanitizer after touching luggage, railings, etc. I quickly decided to pull out my own pen! (And lest anyone think I am germophobic, three days later there WAS a small outbreak of noro on board.)

For what little we actually went out to eat as my wife currently being in a wheel chair , we had a lot of meals to the room . To bad the meals couldn't have been warmer and or/ if the butler could have served us our meal. As for the hand sanitizer that's a great idea for your comments on the pen and the small outbreak [emoji53]

To bad the meals couldn't have been warmer and or/ if the butler could have served us our meal.

Just curious

did you ask to be served course by course??

As for the pen issue ...some people seem to have a habit of pocketing them ;)

Just a suggestion...in this age where everyone is concerned about hand-sanitizers: make sure to have your own pen to fill out the pre-boarding health forms! The last cruise we checked in for (different line) we also had to wait for a pen and then I realized that none of the hands reaching for the pens had washed or used sanitizer after touching luggage, railings, etc. I quickly decided to pull out my own pen! (And lest anyone think I am germophobic, three days later there WAS a small outbreak of noro on board.)

This is one of my standard operating procedures on vacation. I carry a couple of pens in my carry on, easily accessed, a couple in my personal item, one in my passport holder, and usually one in my shirt pocket. I really don't want to be touching pens that two or three hundred others have touched. Ever notice how many people like to put pens or pencils in their mouth? I also take my own pens to trivia.

It seems you always need one on a plane for immigration forms etc. Make sure they are blue or black as some countries will make you redo them if they are in purple, which is my wife's favorite color pen. :cool: Been there done that.

Edited by ORV

...For the pen comment , you have hundreds of people trying to check in and filling out health forms , for the price of pens an entire box should be giving out to speed up a process of filling out forms , just saying...

No cruise line, including Oceania or Royal Caribbean, is responsible for what takes place in the terminal before boarding. That is handled by a shore-side organization such as Intercruises. If there was a shortage of pens, it has nothing to do with the cruise line. Perhaps If you were more familiar with the inner workings of cruises, such as lobster storage (do you still get whole Maine lobster on Royal, fresh or frozen?), you would not be so hyper crtical. Yes, this is Cruise Critic, but all criticism does not have to be negative.

I often think about this issue and using the pens during check-in. Out comes my antibacterial wipes after touching those. I will use my own next time. ;)'

I too agree Those Marina and Riviera closets are really nasty, especially with two in the suite

Are you referring to the Verandah closets. Having never been in one, I have seen photos. For anyone that has also sailed on the S Class with Celebrity in a standard Veranda stateroom, are the closets on Oceania about the same size and difficulty to get into?

Edited by Iamthesea

We just sailed on the Equinox in May and on the Marina in April, 2014. The closets on both ships were about the same. Small and hard to get into. I think Princess has the best closets at sea, but that's about the only good thing. While Celebrity is our first choice, you will enjoy Oceania. We did not like their MDR, but that's just us. The food was just okay at best. However, we loved the grill in the Terrace and ate there most nights. Entertainment was so-so with the main problem being the size of the theatre. It was very small and mostly on one level, so if you got there late and sat in the back you could hear but not see the stage. My husband likes to play craps in the casino and there was never in 14 days anyone playing at the table, so he was disappointed in that. Luckily Oceania cruises are port intensive so being bored during the day was never a problem. My only other gripe, and it is a minor one, is that their buffet and Waves grill close at certain times during the day, so if we were on shore and got back on ship at 4:00, there was no place to eat except room service.