Deployment Schedule 2016-2017. Let the guessing begin

Cruzin-K

Oasis can't go year round in a cool weather climate because Central Park will die. I did the Central Park tour with the chief horticulturalist and he told us that part of the test with Oasis last year was to test colder weather plants, but regardless Oasis could not handle a European winter.

He told us that they originally wanted to take Oasis to China, but they had concerns about how the park would handle the climate, which is why they moved quantum out of NYC to China so quickly.

He also said that Oasis class will not fit in Port Canerval. He said they could fit in the channel, but their is not enough room to turn around.

Ok, thank you! Can you tell me the exact name of the video, what to type in on YouTube?

Did he give any hints about Ovation being transferred to Alaska in 2017?

But nevertheless, shouldn't we focus on summer 2016 here? :)

Won't summer 16 and summer 17 come out together

Oasis can't go year round in a cool weather climate because Central Park will die. I did the Central Park tour with the chief horticulturalist and he told us that part of the test with Oasis last year was to test colder weather plants, but regardless Oasis could not handle a European winter.

He told us that they originally wanted to take Oasis to China, but they had concerns about how the park would handle the climate, which is why they moved quantum out of NYC to China so quickly.

He also said that Oasis class will not fit in Port Canerval. He said they could fit in the channel, but their is not enough room to turn around.

And this is coming from a horticulturist. :rolleyes:

Isn't turning a function of length?

Pretty sure Freedom is longer, Oasis is wide and tall

Maybe they would modify the central park area to a conservatory then if they planed to send Oasis Class to anywhere else than a tropical climate.

Caring for my plants in Spain actually becomes much more problematic in the long summer than the brief winter when temps sometimes get down below 50 F in coastal Spain.

I still do not think they need Oasis in Spain year round, but meeting competition in Europe 'somewhat' year round would seem smart.

I thought they took care of the issue of Oasis Class turning with the design of Terminal 1 at PC.

They will now release deployment through April 2017 at this time.

And this is coming from a horticulturist. :rolleyes:

Isn't turning a function of length?

And draft.

Pretty sure Freedom is longer, Oasis is wide and tall

You would be incorrect, at 1186', Oasis is 74' longer than Freedom's 1112'. And at 213' maximum beam, is 29' wider than Freedoms 184'.

Two questions:

1. Do you expect to see a Quantum Class ship in Fort Lauderdale within 24 months? and

2. Do you expect to see a new Oasis Class ship in Fort Lauderdale within 24 months?

Thank you.

P.S. Hubby and I not quite agreeing on these questions. I say 1 is no and 2 is yes, he says the reverse. :o

Two questions:

1. Do you expect to see a Quantum Class ship in Fort Lauderdale within 24 months? and

2. Do you expect to see a new Oasis Class ship in Fort Lauderdale within 24 months?

Thank you.

P.S. Hubby and I not quite agreeing on these questions. I say 1 is no and 2 is yes, he says the reverse. :o

IMO, a Quantum Class ship will sail from Fort Lauderdale beginning in fall 2016. Possibly a new Oasis Class, not sure.

IMO, a Quantum Class ship will sail from Fort Lauderdale beginning in fall 2016. Possibly a new Oasis Class, not sure.

Oh shoot, looks like my Hubby is right. :eek:

Thank you for your quick response.

When was this tour?? Part of the new terminal for RCCL in PC was dredging the channel, and widening to turning basin I believe. That way an Oasis class ship could fit....RCCL saying they wanted a close enough port to FLL in case of inclement weather on turn around day, as the reason why.

I feel that when Ovation is released they will move Anthem down to Port Everglades in the late fall of 2016.

I think that they will put her on the 6/8 rotation, while leaving 2 Oasis Class on Sat/Sun 7 day sailings.

I expect to see Oasis III home ported at Ft. Lauderdale and Allure to be moved to Port Canaveral or elsewhere after a summer in Europe.

I am also thinking if they have 3 Oasis Class ships in Florida, they could put one on alternating itineraries like doing a pattern of 5 night/4 night/ 5 night / 7night or something to allow more choices and broaden the market.

This would then allow for B2B cruise combinations more than now.

No matter what they will want to maximize calls at Labadee and Falmouth.

I wish there was another project in the works similar to Falmouth as they need a couple more alternative ports.

I feel that when Ovation is released they will move Anthem down to Port Everglades in the late fall of 2016.

I think that they will put her on the 6/8 rotation, while leaving 2 Oasis Class on Sat/Sun 7 day sailings.

I expect to see Oasis III home ported at Ft. Lauderdale and Allure to be moved to Port Canaveral or elsewhere after a summer in Europe.

I am also thinking if they have 3 Oasis Class ships in Florida, they could put one on alternating itineraries like doing a pattern of 5 night/4 night/ 5 night / 7night or something to allow more choices and broaden the market.

This would then allow for B2B cruise combinations more than now.

No matter what they will want to maximize calls at Labadee and Falmouth.

I wish there was another project in the works similar to Falmouth as they need a couple more alternative ports.

5/4/5 is not very conducive to consecutive cruising, 6/8 would be ok though

Yes. I agree. I was actually looking at having an occasional 7 day thrown in. It just seems a way to solve the issue with 3 large ships doing the same exact sailings with limited available ports.

So 7 +5 for 12 nights

4+7+5 for 16 nights

4+7 for 11 nights

The idea with 5 + 5 + 4 + 7 was to get the ship on a 3 week rotation.

I think there were quite a few doing the 5 + 5 for 10 nights out now with Liberty, but unsure.

I found a 7 night Oasis sailing just a little too short and would really like to do a 10 to 12 night, similar to the TA sailing I did in October.

I am one of those that anything over 12 nights becomes just that bit too long on a cruise.

I have even done shorter B2B's where I had friends join me for one and then family for the other. So, there are lots of alternative ways to cruise.

Possibly. The GGB has more than 2m less clearance (67.1m) than the Verrazano Narrows bridge (69.5), so using the SF Bay as a port (ether of call or embarkation) for Q-class would depend on how close to the 67.1m clearance the ship actually has (been looking for Quantum's height, but haven't found it yet).

Q has a 15ft clearance to the Verrazano without retracting it's funnels according to Capt Srecko on Quantum. Look at my, or Radio's, LoutheGlue's, etc Q reviews... they all have clear pictures of her getting under. The funnels can then lower another 15 feet if needed.

Also, the Lions Gate Bridge (Vancouver) has only 61m, so if Q-class is significantly taller than Celebrity S-class, Vancouver is out as either a PoC or PoE, limiting the places she can visit.

Q can fit under the GGB.... cannot fit under the Lion's Gate even with funnels retracted. There are as many ships out of Seattle as there are out of Vancouver going to Alaska. Each and every ship from Seattle do not visit Vancouver. Q can easily fit in pier 91 in Seattle.

Indeed, she would be close. But again, I doubt she would come to the west coast any sooner than she can fit through the Panama Canal, otherwise, she could be stranded here.

Why? Radiance and Rhapsody have been "stranded" between Oz and Alaska for 5 years straight.

Not sure that any coastal protection agency would like a ship that size cruising around Alaska. And environmental protection groups in the Pacific Northwest are pretty powerful.

Quantum is the exact same width as Celebrity Solstice and only 100ft longer. No problems fitting Q into Juneau/Skagway/Victoria imo, nor into Tracy Arm Fjord. I feel Q could easily take over Rhapsody's/Jewel's itinerary of Juneau/Skagway/Tracy Arm/Victoria. When she's ready to sail back to OZ or Asia after the Alaska season is over, she can fulfill the PVSA by loading up in Victoria rather than Vancouver (like Solstice and this year Legend loads up in Ensenada to begin their Transpacifics). And regarding environmental protection, take a close look at the condition of some the the awful old HAL ships that are in Vancouver every year... Q with her state of the art engines and modern systems are light years ahead of the many 20+ yr old ships in Alasksa currently. Not only this, the amount of glass and outward viewing from inside the ship totally overpass what radiance Class provides. Add the indoor pool PLUS huge Solarium PLUS huge Two70 for viewing and I think this would be a HUGE winner and sell out.

But yes... wishful thinking I'm sure

Edited by Hoopster95

Why? Radiance and Rhapsody have been "stranded" between Oz and Alaska for 5 years straight.

You missed the point of the comment. There are (currently) no dry docks on the west coast that can handle Quantum, and if she cannot get through the Panama Canal, there is no place to get her service if needed without going around the cape, or crossing the Pacific. Radiance and Rhapsody not only can get through the Panama Canal now, there are a couple of dry docks that can handle their maintenance.

Quantum is the exact same width as Celebrity Solstice and only 100ft longer.

You may wish to re-check the facts about the width of Quantum and Solstice.

You missed the point of the comment. There are (currently) no dry docks on the west coast that can handle Quantum, and if she cannot get through the Panama Canal, there is no place to get her service if needed without going around the cape, or crossing the Pacific. Radiance and Rhapsody not only can get through the Panama Canal now, there are a couple of dry docks that can handle their maintenance.

Gotcha. Singapore.... So how do any of the other massive ships/tankers from LA, San Fran, Seattle, and Alaska get repaired if needed?

You may wish to re-check the facts about the width of Quantum and Solstice.

You're right, I was wrong with my width. I had "remembered" incorrectly. My length was spot on.

Class & type: Quantum-class cruise ship

Tonnage: 168,666 GT[5]

Length: 347.1 m (1,139 ft)[5]

Beam: 49.5 m (162 ft) (max)[5]

41.4 m (136 ft) (waterline)[5]

Draught: 8.8 m (29 ft)[5]

Class & type: Solstice-class cruise ship

Tonnage: 121,878 GT[1]

82,363 NT[1]

9,500 DWT[1]

Length: 1,033 ft (314.86 m)

Beam: 121 ft (36.88 m)

Draft: 27 ft (8.23 m)

Edited by Hoopster95

Two questions:

Thank you.

1. Yes, Ovation otS surely sails the 6 and 8 night runs from FL from fall 2016, after her Europe season.

2. either Oasis 3 sails from FL, or Oasis and Allure again.

And it seems that Independence will sail from Ft Lauderdale thoughout the summer season, departing on Saturdays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not everyone can do a two week vacation and a B2B (7/7 or 8/6); but a 5/4/5 rotation on a ship would give people the ability to do a B2B (5/4 or 4/5). We have only been able to do 7 night cruises max....until this coming cruise where we found an 8 night on Indy that accommodated our schedule needs. We would like to find a way to do a B2B and a ship that did 5/4/5 would be something we could look at -- it would give us an opportunity for a 9 night cruise (combined).

Work/personal life is not the same for everyone, and it takes being able to offer lots of people opportunities to enjoy a companies product/service.

Not everyone can do a two week vacation and a B2B (7/7 or 8/6); but a 5/4/5 rotation on a ship would give people the ability to do a B2B (5/4 or 4/5). We have only been able to do 7 night cruises max....until this coming cruise where we found an 8 night on Indy that accommodated our schedule needs. We would like to find a way to do a B2B and a ship that did 5/4/5 would be something we could look at -- it would give us an opportunity for a 9 night cruise (combined).

Work/personal life is not the same for everyone, and it takes being able to offer lots of people opportunities to enjoy a companies product/service.

My point is that for two extra days, turnaround day is a pain. Much better to do an 8 with no turnaround than a 9 with a turnaround. Plus 8 can take you further out. What they need to try is the old 7 day one way to the southern islands, then another 7 day back to FL.

My point is that for two extra days, turnaround day is a pain. Much better to do an 8 with no turnaround than a 9 with a turnaround. Plus 8 can take you further out. What they need to try is the old 7 day one way to the southern islands, then another 7 day back to FL.

It is unfair for you do say something is 'much better' for someone else and the time they have. Some people don't care as much about going 'further out'. Again, even if the option of a one way to the southern islands and a return cruise of 7 days existed....it may not be a viable option if you DON'T HAVE the ability to take two weeks of vacation. It seems that is something you are unwilling to recognize.

It is fortunate for those that can take longer vacations....many cannot.

If on turnaround day, I had a little morning inconvenience (but I would not have to 'rush off the ship') and then could find a lounge chair to relax and watch the new cruisers arrive.....I would be just fine.

It is unfair for you do say something is 'much better' for someone else and the time they have. Some people don't care as much about going 'further out'. Again, even if the option of a one way to the southern islands and a return cruise of 7 days existed....it may not be a viable option if you DON'T HAVE the ability to take two weeks of vacation. It seems that is something you are unwilling to recognize.

It is fortunate for those that can take longer vacations....many cannot.

If on turnaround day, I had a little morning inconvenience (but I would not have to 'rush off the ship') and then could find a lounge chair to relax and watch the new cruisers arrive.....I would be just fine.

You let me know how it works after you have done a couple. IMHO, it is a wasted day. Probably even worse than a typical first day.

I really have no idea why you found my comment unfair, it was just a comment

You let me know how it works after you have done a couple. IMHO, it is a wasted day. Probably even worse than a typical first day.

I really have no idea why you found my comment unfair, it was just a comment

When you tell someone "much better" and won't acknowledged that everyone cannot do a B2B in a traditional way on a 7/7 or 8/6 format. It is 'your opinion' about what constitutes a wasted day.

I have a great time on a first day of a cruise....even with its craziness.

When I have the opportunity, I will welcome it -- but it may have to take a format that isn't conventional...because my life isn't the same as yours.

When you tell someone "much better" and won't acknowledged that everyone cannot do a B2B in a traditional way on a 7/7 or 8/6 format. It is 'your opinion' about what constitutes a wasted day.

I have a great time on a first day of a cruise....even with its craziness.

When I have the opportunity, I will welcome it -- but it may have to take a format that isn't conventional...because my life isn't the same as yours.

People on this forum are overly sensitive. everyone gets offended so easily because of someone elses opinion.

This is cruise forum, we are not debating politics or religion.