BBQ at Princess Cay?

michelle028

Yes, all the ship's dining areas, except the MDR's are open. Since Princess Cays is a tender stop, it would take lots of time to get back to the ship and then return to Princess Cays. Also at Princess Cays you can eat in your bathing attire.

The BBQ is fine. It's a cafeteria style and you eat at picnic tables. There are two different serving/eating areas.

You may want to check out a recent post by bimmer09.

Norris is well versed in cruising and dining.

He has a post entitled Ruby Princess E.Caribbean photos and video.

In this post he talks about the BBQ lunch on Princess Cay last month.

After reading what he has to say,then you can draw your own conclusion about the lunch offerings.

As for DH and I,we have been to PC several times.

We are sailing on the Regal in a few weeks.

We plan to stay on the ship and consider it as a sea day when the ship stops at PC.

We will enjoy a quieter ship and lunch at Alfredo's.

A couple of tips we've found to make the lunch on P-Cays a bit more enjoyable. First, always go to the right side(when looking ashore from the ship), over the small bridge. Usually much fewer people over there and much shorter lines, if any. Secondly, there is usually a hot grill behind the serving lines(you can see it in the pic above of the meats) and you can ask to have your hamburger, hot dog, etc. heated up. I gave them a burger and a couple of slices of cheese and in about 3 minutes, I had a warm cheeseburger! Makes for a decent lunch with a few of the cold sides and some fresh fruit.

Edited by Dbld777

Going on Regal soon :)

How's the BBQ lunch at Princess Cay? Are there other other restaurants open on the ship that day?

As a true lover of BBQ ribs, I would not hesitate to take the tender ride to Princess Cay just for the lunch. They start serving at 11:00 a.m. if I remember correctly. If you have no plans to do anything on land other than the BBQ lunch, just wait until about 10:30 before getting on a tender. Go ashore and eat lunch, maybe have a drink at one of the beach bars, and then hop a tender back before the lines start getting long.

I've had the BBQ a few times and have never been disappointed. I did read Bimmer09's post/pictures about his food being ice cold. Glad to say, I've never had that experience before. Other than having to stand in long lines sometimes, it's always been a good food experience.

Secondly, there is usually a hot grill behind the serving lines(you can see it in the pic above of the meats) and you can ask to have your hamburger, hot dog, etc. heated up. I gave them a burger and a couple of slices of cheese and in about 3 minutes, I had a warm cheeseburger! Makes for a decent lunch with a few of the cold sides and some fresh fruit.

This, coupled with Norris' report, are rather disturbing. Food sitting out in the open in the "bacteria zone"? Inasmuch as PC is our first day of a week-long cruise, if the food is not held at a steady and hot temperature, it will be lunch back on board for us. I'm not willing to risk gastrointestinal distress for the reminder of our cruise.

I've had the BBQ a few times and have never been disappointed. I did read Bimmer09's post/pictures about his food being ice cold. Glad to say, I've never had that experience before. Other than having to stand in long lines sometimes, it's always been a good food experience.

Thanks for reading the review. The only issue I had with the food at the BBQ was the temperature. Luke-warm or room temperature I could suffer (but wouldn't eat much of it) Cold as in" no warmth whatsoever" where the potato salad and the hot dog are the same temperature is unacceptable and in my case, inedible.

I will give it one more try on my next visit.

My point would be that the last customer (and we were not that) at the BBQ should get food as hot as the first customer. They failed miserably.

Norris

We have visited Princess Cays on 6 cruises and did not have a problem with cold food at the BBQ. We usually eat when they open the grill. The food is freshly cooked. The longer you wait, the more dried out the chicken and ribs are likely to get.

We too ate on the right side of the beach and it was not so crowded. As for the food, I thought it was good. Not haute cuisine, but good. They also have a large selection of fruits as well as the usual BBQ stuff.

I had a burger and went back for a hot dog and sides and dessert and never suffered from any stomach problems.

I would have no problem eating there again.

We usually eat when they open the grill. The food is freshly cooked. The longer you wait, the more dried out the chicken and ribs are likely to get.

Not really interested in eating lunch at 11:00. One should not have to rush to the trough in order to get hot, non-dry food. "Go early" isn't really a ringing endorsement nor should it be necessary.

Not really interested in eating lunch at 11:00. One should not have to rush to the trough in order to get hot, non-dry food. "Go early" isn't really a ringing endorsement nor should it be necessary.

We don't rush to a trough for food. We don't eat at 11:00. If you wish to think the worst of the BBQ, than go ahead. :rolleyes:

We don't rush to a trough for food. We don't eat at 11:00. If you wish to think the worst of the BBQ, than go ahead. :rolleyes:

I thought that it opened at 11:00. If going to the grill when it first opens means going at noon, then I stand corrected.

We don't usually have good luck with the bbq. The cold ribs just didn't do it for me and I thought the burgers were dry and nothing special. I've gotten in line at 1pm only to find out all the ribs were already gone.

After many trips to Princess Cay we either wait to eat when we get back on the ship or we just don't go ashore anymore.

This is island beach fare, you can't expect it to be of the level of onboard a Princess ship!

Since this food is all brought to the island from the ship, I do expect it to be the same level of quality as if I were eating it on the ship.

Since this food is all brought to the island from the ship, I do expect it to be the same level of quality as if I were eating it on the ship.

LOL, Good luck with that. We have never been enamored with what they serve on Princess Cays. We will eat some things if we are hungry, but, more often than not, will eat more when we are back on the ship.:cool: