Towel and Robe Thieves Beware

link99

I just read a news story about a company that has developed tracking devices for towels that alert managers to the whereabouts of their linen at all times. (I would post link to story not sure of rules here though)

Is this why RCCl no longer requires us to check out the towles on the pool deck? As a company looking to save on loss of product, I can see why they would use the techonology. Its use has already proven it can save big bucks over a years time. As a customer I can see question about privacy being brought to light.

Just the use of this tech alone take out all the worry about inventory control of towels, robes and their location, and who has them. They can even tell if they are not on the ship. They cant tell where they are at off the ship,( far as i know) but they will know if it left the ship and did not come back on.

In the end I beleive all hotels and companies will be using this tech.It is already being used as we speak. Is the cruise Industry next to use the Tech or is it already being used and we are just not aware of it. IE...WOW bands use the same type of tech so why not just expand it to the towels on the new ships.

Anyone heard anything? Maybe ill ask my waiter on my up comming cruise if his brothers' cousin has heard anything:):):):)

DISCLAMER I have not heard of it is being used or being used on any ship but the tech is out there and as reported it is being used or about to be used in a bunch of hotels so why not on ships.

I just read a news story about a company that has developed tracking devices for towels that alert managers to the whereabouts of their linen at all times. (I would post link to story not sure of rules here though)

Is this why RCCl no longer requires us to check out the towles on the pool deck? As a company looking to save on loss of product, I can see why they would use the techonology. Its use has already proven it can save big bucks over a years time. As a customer I can see question about privacy being brought to light.

Just the use of this tech alone take out all the worry about inventory control of towels, robes and their location, and who has them. They can even tell if they are not on the ship. They cant tell where they are at off the ship,( far as i know) but they will know if it left the ship and did not come back on.

In the end I beleive all hotels and companies will be using this tech.It is already being used as we speak. Is the cruise Industry next to use the Tech or is it already being used and we are just not aware of it. IE...WOW bands use the same type of tech so why not just expand it to the towels on the new ships.

Anyone heard anything? Maybe ill ask my waiter on my up comming cruise if his brothers' cousin has heard anything:):):):)

DISCLAMER I have not heard of it is being used or being used on any ship but the tech is out there and as reported it is being used or about to be used in a bunch of hotels so why not on ships.

Great:)

This will end the selling of towels to the locals, or dumping wet ones shore side, being too lazy to return them. Both of these processes are endemic across all lines, in particular P&O:eek:

Great idea!!. Now that they have put all that effort and technology into knowing when their towels leave the ship, maybe they can now put the same effort into alerting them when their passengers and crew goes overboard at sea:).

Great idea!!. Now that they have put all that effort and technology into knowing when their towels leave the ship, maybe they can now put the same effort into alerting them when their passengers and crew goes overboard at sea:).

Will you please be first in line to have a microchip implanted on your person to detect overboard? Linens do not file objections to such treatment; many people would.

You can post a link to what you read.....if for nothing else the 'entertainment value' that it must offer....it probably has some funny things in it. If I was writing it, I would have put some funny things in it, at least.

I see nothing wrong with that....I mean, how hard is it to keep track of your towels? Folks are always making a big deal about "losing" your towel.....really? Who "loses" their towels???

Most hotels already "keep track" of pool towels...when you get one, they note your room #....when you return the towels, you're in the clear!

Linens are expensive! If I was "loaning" mine out, I'd want to keep track of them, too!

I see nothing wrong with that....I mean, how hard is it to keep track of your towels? Folks are always making a big deal about "losing" your towel.....really? Who "loses" their towels???

Most hotels already "keep track" of pool towels...when you get one, they note your room #....when you return the towels, you're in the clear!

Linens are expensive! If I was "loaning" mine out, I'd want to keep track of them, too!

It isn't as if the towels are so magnificient.....the cabin towels are not even large enough to wrap around me easily when I get out of the shower. So every day I leave the pool, and exchange my wet pool towel for a dry one....those at least are bigger. I need them on board ship, so I always bring them back from a shore excursion.

The robes are not the most fluffy, but they at least save me from having to pack one from home and take valuable luggage space....again, not worth taking home with me, at all.

I am sure the excuse people use, is that they had something wet to pack....have you heard of plastic ziplock bags to bring from home....I also have some with me.

I fully agree they SHOULD keep track of their linens.

Will you please be first in line to have a microchip implanted on your person to detect overboard? Linens do not file objections to such treatment; many people would.

Do you think there could possibly be other alternatives to your off the wall idea?:rolleyes:

My mother had her towels stolen with just about everything else that she had on her chair at Labadee. Do you have any more questions?

Edited by Ocean Boy

I had a street vendor in St. Lucia ask me if I would give her my towel for her children. I said sorry can't do that and she just kept saying it's for my child, it's for my child. Wonder if people give in and give them up or if any of the locals take them when you're in the water or walking the beach. I'm not hung up on the towel, but I do think they are not worth the $25 they charge you if you do not return them.

Just off a Celebrity cruise did not have to sign towels out. They left them in your room and exchanged dirty for clean every night. Good practice I think, also you could get towels by the pool without checking them out.

Already have it. Just make sure you have your towel with you when you go overboard :D

I had a street vendor in St. Lucia ask me if I would give her my towel for her children. I said sorry can't do that and she just kept saying it's for my child, it's for my child. Wonder if people give in and give them up or if any of the locals take them when you're in the water or walking the beach. I'm not hung up on the towel, but I do think they are not worth the $25 they charge you if you do not return them.

Just off a Celebrity cruise did not have to sign towels out. They left them in your room and exchanged dirty for clean every night. Good practice I think, also you could get towels by the pool without checking them out.

When I got to my cabin on Quantum, on the 1/23 sailing, there were two pool towels in my cabin. My cabin steward replaced the wet ones every night. I was also told if I wanted I could hand them in and have them scanned at the dock when returning to port. This was the first time on a RCI ship I ever saw pool towels left in the cabin.

Just make sure that, if you're going to fall overboard, you take a towel with you.

maybe they can now put the same effort into alerting them when their passengers and crew goes overboard at sea:).

The WOW bands could probably do that set an out of bounds area in the system when at sea. When a WOW band goes out of bounds( ie.. someone over the side) an alarm is sounded the bridge notified and a marker dropped. The tech is out there. If not, I claim rights to the idea.

Issues: someone could throw their band over the side and would set off alarm.

The WOW bands could probably do that set an out of bounds area in the system when at sea. When a WOW band goes out of bounds( ie.. someone over the side) an alarm is sounded the bridge notified and a marker dropped. The tech is out there. If not, I claim rights to the idea.

Issues: someone could throw their band over the side and would set off alarm.

That would be littering

When I got to my cabin on Quantum, on the 1/23 sailing, there were two pool towels in my cabin. My cabin steward replaced the wet ones every night. I was also told if I wanted I could hand them in and have them scanned at the dock when returning to port. This was the first time on a RCI ship I ever saw pool towels left in the cabin.

On our very first cruise on Navigator in 2004, they did that. At that time, Navigator was the newest ship in the fleet, and had just passed her first birthday. I can't remember it happening since then on any ship we have been on.

Do you think there could possibly be other alternatives to your off the wall idea?:rolleyes:

The effort and technology being discussed on this thred involve implanting a microchip on linens to track them. If you fear going overboard at sea, perhaps you should stay off ships:rolleyes: But if you have that fear and want the same effort and technology, that implies you want a tracking chip implanted on your person, like the linens.

Personally, I do not fear falling overboard. The rails are far too tall for me to inadvertantly tumble overboard. The conduct policy, signage and common sence all say one should not climb or sit or stand etc on the rails. Or climb out onto the lifeboats, for that matter. Jumping is also against the rules:rolleyes:

These RFID tags are in just about every package and book that you buy nowadays and I read that they're working on a system that can "check out" every item in your cart with one swipe. That will really be cool though it will cost jobs like the self check out line did.

I don't think the tags were in operation on the Quantum. If they were any tags they certainly weren't keyed to our rooms because you could just exchange your old towels on your own from a pile at the pool deck. We even took them off the ship on beach days.

It could be that they're currently only using the tags for inventory purposes with the intent to expand their use down the road. I think they may have ditched the $25 deposit policy because of all the grief guest relations received from people claiming their towels were stolen or removed from their chairs by the crew. I'm sure some of the claims were true and some weren't. We know from personal experience that thieves like cruising too:)

On another note, you mentioned the Wow bands. I can imagine that one day they could be used to keep track of your cruisemates, especially your teenage children. Each band could have it's own identifier and using a password you could go to a touchscreen and locate exactly where they were on the ship. How cool would that be? The facial recognition technology the ship uses is amazing stuff too.