Our first Alsakan Cruise & we have questions ???

We plan to book an Alaskan cruise when the 2016 & 2017 schedules come out, so the planning is beginning. A few questions for the veterans of this destination. If you can assist it would be of great help. My many thanks in advance.

1. What month? Summer? July?

2. Which ship? I often see a quite a number of happy cruisers on the Jewel. So we're leaning toward this ship but still wide open.

3. Which itinerary?

Northbound? Southbound?

Depart from Seattle? Van Couver?

$. Which cabin? Which deck?

We want a balcony.

Aft? Hump?

If Aft, the best Aft Balcony? The best hump balcony?

Questions, questions, qusetions. :confused: :D confused but excited!

This is just my opinion. I actually went on Princess b/c it went to both hubbard and glacier bay. I started with Anchorage b/c I wanted to see the snow at the first part of the trip to set the mood., The day of the cruise we went on a cruise called 26 glaciers cruise (google that), you will have time b/c ship doesn't leave until late and Alaska is all about scenery. We stayed in a small town called Girdwood at the Alyeska resort (I know that's not spelled correctly) before the cruise, but that place sets you in the mood for Alaska as well. We did get a balcony and glad we did, but you do have to get out on the top deck and look for whales/glaciers, etc. You won't use your balcony as you would in the caribbean, but it's nice to have. Make sure you spend your money on excursions, well worth it. We left around May 21, b/c the prices are cheaper and there is still snow., especially taking the whitepass railroad in skagway. Hope some of this info helps. The alaska boards will have tons more advice already :)

End of June early July is about the right time, nice weather:)

Can't go wrong with Jewel, we did ALASKA before on Serenade, and will be on Jewel again for Alaska this June. So Radiance class all good.

6/26 Seattle

6/27 Cruising

6/28 Inside Passage

6/28 Juneau

6/29 Skagway(right side of train for best views)

6/30 Tracy Arm Fjord

7/1 Cruising

7/2 Victoria (British Columbia)

7/3 Seattle

Deck 10' hump either side of ship as Captain will do a 720deg turn when at the

Glacier. Just check position of WJ above before choosing Cabin.

If you want Whale excursions, book them early as group sizes are very limited

We were lucky enough to book all of our excursions for this upcoming cruise almost a year out.

The Maxwell hotel in Seattle is close to all the attractions and close to pier 91

Will be doing a review this June, so will have more info on Jewel and the Seattle to Seattle Itinerary.

Just my opinion, Seattle-Seattle as easy for flights, we did Vancouver-Vancouver

Before for the same reason.

Whatever Itinerary and Departure you decide on, Jewel will be a gem and you'll have a great cruise.

Happy Days!

Graham

Edit:1554 GS very good cabin and location

Edited by PompeySailor

This is just my opinion. I actually went on Princess b/c it went to both hubbard and glacier bay. I started with Anchorage b/c I wanted to see the snow at the first part of the trip to set the mood., The day of the cruise we went on a cruise called 26 glaciers cruise (google that), you will have time b/c ship doesn't leave until late and Alaska is all about scenery. We stayed in a small town called Girdwood at the Alyeska resort (I know that's not spelled correctly) before the cruise, but that place sets you in the mood for Alaska as well. We did get a balcony and glad we did, but you do have to get out on the top deck and look for whales/glaciers, etc. You won't use your balcony as you would in the caribbean, but it's nice to have. Make sure you spend your money on excursions, well worth it. We left around May 21, b/c the prices are cheaper and there is still snow., especially taking the whitepass railroad in skagway. Hope some of this info helps. The alaska boards will have tons more advice already :)

Wow the 26 Glacier Cruise sounds amazing! Thanks for this info. I've heard that Princess is pretty special for Alaska. We could also do late May, so this might work for us. Thank you gain!

Be sure and thoroughly check out the Ports of Call Board on here for Alaska. It's the best!!! I recommend arranging your excursions on your own. The great folks over there are so knowledgeable.

I'll be spending a few hours over there this weekend. After our Med Cruise, I'm a firm believer of excursions outside of RCL. Thank you!!!

Can't go wrong with Jewel, we did ALASKA before on Serenade, and will be on Jewel again for Alaska this June. So Radiance class all good.

6/26 Seattle

6/27 Cruising

6/28 Inside Passage

6/28 Juneau

6/30 Tracy Arm Fjord

7/1 Cruising

7/3 Seattle

Deck 10' hump either side of ship as Captain will do a 720deg turn when at the

Glacier. Just check position of WJ above before choosing Cabin.

If you want Whale excursions, book them early as group sizes are very limited

We were lucky enough to book all of our excursions for this upcoming cruise almost a year out.

The Maxwell hotel in Seattle is close to all the attractions and close to pier 91

Will be doing a review this June, so will have more info on Jewel and the Seattle to Seattle Itinerary.

Just my opinion, Seattle-Seattle as easy for flights, we did Vancouver-Vancouver

Before for the same reason.

Whatever Itinerary and Departure you decide on, Jewel will be a gem and you'll have a great cruise.

Happy Days!

Graham

Edit:1554 GS very good cabin and location

Thanks for a nice response. I printed this and look forward to following your review! Enjoy your cruise!

Do a cruisetour, doing the land portion first. Sail out of Vancouver for a better inside passage experience (sailings out of Seattle don't go to the infamous Hubbard Glacier), get a balcony, sail mid-June to end of July (all the wildlife with babies are out in a feeding frenzy preparing for winter), go on a Radiance class ship.

If at all possible, add a land portion to your cruise. If you do, the decision on whether to do the land part before or after the cruise will drive whether you do northbound or southbound. We did our land portion first and then the southbound cruise on Radience, which we loved.

If at all possible, add a land portion to your cruise. If you do, the decision on whether to do the land part before or after the cruise will drive whether you do northbound or southbound. We did our land portion first and then the southbound cruise on Radiance, which we loved.

Great advise. We did the Radiance northbound and the land portion first. Loved the train and the bus views. The service was amazing on the land portion. (You never handle your suitcases - they magically appear in your hotel room each evening!)

For our money, September was perfect. The weather is still beautiful but the prices are much lower. Don't take any fleece or jackets if you go in September -- you can buy them there for dirt cheap.

If you do the northbound, check prices on Royal and other cruise lines going south. As it turned out we could have cruised back south on X for less than our airfare from northern most point back to Vancouver. Sure it takes more time than flying but, if you have the time, why not be a ship rather than a plane?

Enjoy your trip!

We've also done both a cruise & a cruise tour. If you can add the extra days the land portion is a fabulous addition to the cruise. I have a VERY detailed trip report in my signature for the cruise tour, DIY tours and lots of ways to save $$$ on your trip listed in my signature. I also recommend a Radiance Class ship. For the report without all the comments check out my blog (also in my signature) just search for Alaska.

Alaska is awesome ! You will enjoy your trip whether you do only a cruise or a cruise tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ace1zoe2

RCI Radiance class...Northbound from Vancouver...sail towards Alaska instead of away from it. The sail out under Lionsgate Bridge and past Stanley Park...what a way to start a cruise...and I love the end of May cruises.

Edited by Ashland

Do a cruisetour, doing the land portion first. Sail out of Vancouver for a better inside passage experience (sailings out of Seattle don't go to the infamous Hubbard Glacier), get a balcony, sail mid-June to end of July (all the wildlife with babies are out in a feeding frenzy preparing for winter), go on a Radiance class ship.
My exact thoughts :D Seattle to Seattle doesn't give you the full Alaska experience.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Wow the 26 Glacier Cruise sounds amazing! Thanks for this info. I've heard that Princess is pretty special for Alaska. We could also do late May, so this might work for us. Thank you gain!

Oh, didn't realize you were from Houston, that is where we have lived/raised almost our entire life. To save money, we flew into anchorage and we ended up in Vancouver and then took the princess bus to seattle and toured around there (only b/c it was cheaper to take the bus (nice bus) to seattle and fly out of seattle). On the 26 glacier you may think Aw, I don't need this b/c I'm going on a cruise, but try not to pass it up, you get closer. Also, in Juneau we went w/ Northstar glaciers and they took us in a helicopter and we trekked around for a couple or three hours (just beautiful)., Good luck

We plan to book an Alaskan cruise when the 2016 & 2017 schedules come out, so the planning is beginning. A few questions for the veterans of this destination. If you can assist it would be of great help. My many thanks in advance.

2. Which ship? I often see a quite a number of happy cruisers on the Jewel. So we're leaning toward this ship but still wide open.

3. Which itinerary?

Northbound? Southbound?

We want a balcony.

Aft? Hump?

If you want a RT Seattle, then Jewel will be the way to go. If you want a Northbound/Southbound, then Radiance is your option. We did a Radiance NB sailing last summer (the first week of June) and it was simply amazing. Weather was great, we loved the ports, and we loved the Radiance. Honestly, the cruise couldn't have been better.

I'd personally skip the RT Seattle and go with a NB. We loved Vancouver and sailing out of it, plus you get an extra port on the itinerary...If you're going all the way up to Alaska, pick a one way cruise. A post-cruise land tour would be awesome too. We didn't get to do it due to time constraints, but we did have a wonderful, scenic train ride from Seward to Anchorage.

We had cabin 8102, a balcony on the hump right next to the sea-view elevators. The balcony was huge! I would highly recommend; however, if you go to bed before ~10pm, then noise from the centrum might bother you. Its a muffled noise, but it never bothered us because we were always out and about, and in the Centrum watching the activities anyway.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

3. Which itinerary?

Northbound? Southbound?

We want a balcony.

Aft? Hump?

I'm going to Alaska for the first time this summer in July and although I love Royal, I'm going on Princess and it will be my first time on Princess. Only a handful of cruiselines have permits to go into Glacier Bay and that was a 'must see' for me. HAL, Carnival, NCL and Crystal are the other cruiselines with a permit. I thought I'd post this if you are interested in Glacier Bay. I had to go with the itinerary this time for my Alaska cruise.

1. What month? Summer? July? If you love to fish, the King Salmon run is in June. This is a really big deal in Alaska. If fishing is not your thing, July or August is your best bet. It will be cool temperature wise May, June and September.

2. Which ship? I often see a quite a number of happy cruisers on the Jewel. So we're leaning toward this ship but still wide open. I have done Alaska three times on Celebrity, not sure I can help with this one.

3. Which itinerary?

Northbound? Southbound?

Depart from Seattle? Van Couver? I have done all three itineraries. My favorite was to fly into Anchorage and sail down to Vancouver. However, airfare will make this the most expensive of the options. You will get to see some additional islands though on this itinerary. All three were a blast though.

We want a balcony.

Aft? Hump?

If Aft, the best Aft Balcony? The best hump balcony? I would actually suggest staying away form an Aft for Alaska. Alaska is beautiful and a balcony is a must. You will see whales and all kinds of other creatures jump out of the water all week long. I would suggest a balcony mid ship.

Have a great trip.

One thing to consider when picking when you go is what sort of wildlife you want to see. If bears and salmon runs are of interest, then the August time frame is better. Whale watching you'll get throughout the summer.

In terms of September, I found it quite rainy compared to other times in the summer (mind you the chance of rain is a constant throughout the summer period, but more so in September).

Whatever you do pack a pair of binoculars or a monocular. Just in case there are killer whales shadowing the ship or bears off in the distance. If that happens you will be the most popular passengers. We did see a lot of wildlife!

We did our cruise on Celebrity and it was fantastic. We flew from Chicago to Anchorage and had a limo pick us up and take us to Girdwood at the Alyeska Lodge as well. Spent 2 days there and did some sightseeing while there. Then we booked the Alaska Rail from Girdwood to Seward where we spent another night and did some more sightseeing (hubby did dogsled ride on the glacier). The scenery on the rail trip was gorgeous. Picked up the cruise ship in Seward and did the inside passage. We traveled in early July - still a little chilly on deck. Did the Whitepass Railway as well - be sure to turn your cell phone off as you will connect to a Canadian tower. The cruise ended up in Vancouver where we spent another night before flying home. Look up whale watch tours in Juneau - Captain Jack was great. Hope this gives you some good ideas.

6/26 Seattle

6/27 Cruising

6/28 Inside Passage

6/28 Juneau

6/30 Tracy Arm Fjord

7/1 Cruising

7/3 Seattle

Aw, man, you get Skagway on that one! Darn. We loved Skagway.

We were on Radiance for our honeymoon on a roundtrip from Vancouver. We really liked it. Liked it so much we're repeating it in September. Radiance tends to do two roundtrips a season, one early and one late. We're taking the late one. :)

Alas, it doesn't stop in Skagway nowadays...

First time we had a plain old oceanview at the very front of the ship. On the upcoming cruise we'll have a forward balcony.

Later in the season is a bit colder than the middle of the summer, but that was OK on our first Alaska cruise and I'm sure it'll be fine on the second.

Aw, man, you get Skagway on that one! Darn. We loved Skagway.

We were on Radiance for our honeymoon on a roundtrip from Vancouver. We really liked it. Liked it so much we're repeating it in September. Radiance tends to do two roundtrips a season, one early and one late. We're taking the late one. :)

Alas, it doesn't stop in Skagway nowadays...

First time we had a plain old oceanview at the very front of the ship. On the upcoming cruise we'll have a forward balcony.

Later in the season is a bit colder than the middle of the summer, but that was OK on our first Alaska cruise and I'm sure it'll be fine on the second.

Have parents flying over from UK with other family, and the train ride up the mountain in Skagway is one they had to book straight away.

We really enjoyed it last time round and look forward to doing again soon.:)

And this is why I enjoy Cruise Critic! So many great replies, responses, and answers. Many thanks to each of you. Your experience speaks volumes and now I begin the planning phase. I'm especially intrigued w/ the dog sledding! :D

Thanks again everyone! We're very grateful.

They took a helicopter to the top of the glacier and went dog sledding. We ladies stayed in the town shopping, drank tea and ate scones. I think this was in Seward and on the Godwin Glacier. The guys said it was great. Our cruiseship cabin had a balcony and we sat on it an awful lot while cruising. It was wonderful. Be sure to take binoculars. The Alyeska Lodge is a resort and has a lift that takes you to the top to their restaurant. The view is beautiful, and the food excellent. We came out at 11:30 p.m. and it was still light out. This was truly a wonderful cruise; we leave for the Caribbean in just a couple of weeks - too cold for Alaska right now!! :cool: Oh, we booked all these things on line prior to the cruise. Have fun with the planning of it. I know we did.