Do Not Disturb sign problem

betmust

Just returned from the 5 day on the Constellation. I will write more later but this one thing really got me.

We got up early on a sea day and at 7:25 got ready to go up to the pool for just a bit. As we left the room my hubby put the Do Not Disturb sign on the cabin door. The room attendant was standing watching and said good morning to us. We were only planning on being gone 30 - 40 minutes - just a quick dip.

When we returned, our room attendant had gone into the room and cleaned up and did the bed.

As I said, we did have the sign on the door. I had left out my phone and Kindle charging. I never would have done that if the sign wasn't on the door. I guess I assumed he would honor that and not go in.

What would you have done? Complained to him, guest services or just ignored it???

Edited by betmust

Those guys have lots of rooms to manage and must pounce the instant they see an opportunity. Water under the bridge but for the future - when he said hello, you could have advised him you'd be back shortly and to please not do the room yet. I think he saw you leave, knew there were just two of you so no one else was in there sleeping or dressing, and seized the moment.

(Didn't understand the connection to charging the electronics.)

I would not have complained...I'm happy when they are in & done early ever since a Century cruise when there seemed to be a different steward every day, including a trainee, and our room was rarely made up until mid-afternoon, and at least once not at all.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Just returned from the 5 day on the Constellation. I will write more later but this one thing really got me.

We got up early on a sea day and at 7:25 got ready to go up to the pool for just a bit. As we left the room my hubby put the Do Not Disturb sign on the cabin door. The room attendant was standing watching and said good morning to us. We were only planning on being gone 30 - 40 minutes - just a quick dip.

When we returned, our room attendant had gone into the room and cleaned up and did the bed.

As I said, we did have the sign on the door. I had left out my phone and Kindle charging. I never would have done that if the sign wasn't on the door. I guess I assumed he would honor that and not go in.

What would you have done? Complained to him, guest services or just ignored it???

Well if I saw the room attendant and actually had a verbal interaction with him I would have explained why I put the sign on the door. He saw both of you leave so technically he didn't disturb you since he knew you weren't there. 30 to 40 minutes is a long time to be out of the room. It probably only takes him 20 minutes to make up the room.

Edited by Iamcruzin

They are taught never to go into a room that has a "do not disturb" sign on the door. Obviously, the sign was put on the door for a reason. What part of "do not disturb" doesn't the stateroom attend understand? :rolleyes:

While the steward should not have entered your cabin, your concern over belongings is misplaced. We routinely leave Kindles, computers, binoculars etc out in plain sight and never have had a problem on nearly 50 cruises with seven or eight different lines. On several occasions we have closed but not secured our safe, each thinking the other had done it. Never a problem there, either, although I confess to some nervous moments.

Yes the room attendant saw us leave the room and saw us put the sign on the door - we were speaking to him. He knew it was not left from the night before.

I generally never leave things out when I am not in the room - not so much because I distrust him but when they clean they leave the door open and anyone could have seen and taken something.

I was also under the impression they were never to go in the room if the sign was on the door.

We were going up for a quick dip and I did not want him in there when we returned because we wanted to take showers. That was why I put the sign.

I just feel like he totally invaded our privacy, even if we were not in the room. I did leave a few "private" things around that I never would have if I knew he was coming in. I left my clothes with underthings in a little pile on the chair so they would be ready when I got back to take a quick shower as we were meeting friends.

They are taught never to go into a room that has a "do not disturb" sign on the door. Obviously, the sign was put on the door for a reason. What part of "do not disturb" doesn't the stateroom attend understand? :rolleyes:

Thank you - this was my understanding also. It was there for a reason. I did not feel I had to explain to him. I had only seen him on the day we arrived and really never saw him again. It was as if we saw him and talked and he was friendly with us. That was not the case at all. The cruise started Saturday and this happened on Wednesday - I probably saw him a totally of 10 - 15 minutes in that whole time...

Well if I saw the room attendant and actually had a verbal interaction with him I would have explained why I put the sign on the door. He saw both of you leave so technically he didn't disturb you since he knew you weren't there. 30 to 40 minutes is a long time to be out of the room. It probably only takes him 20 minutes to make up the room.

I agree. Many people leave and forget to remove the sign. Seeing both people leave he was within his right to clean right away while they were away. Had he not seen them he would not have gone in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This would concern me also.

We often leave the Do Not Disturb notice on when we go to breakfast.

This is because I have IBS and often need to visit the bathroom as soon as I have eaten. I obviously do not want to find that the room attendant is in there cleaning when I may need to use the bathroom urgently.

IMO it is not for the room attendant to decide that they have time to clean the room because they have seen you leaving it :mad:.

Edited by CABINET

I agree. Many people leave and forget to remove the sign. Seeing both people leave he was within his right to clean right away while they were away. Had he not seen them he would not have gone in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The room attendant was standing outside my room as we left - he watched us put the sign on the door. He KNEW it was not left from the night before. We never put it out at night as we are very early risers...

Do Not Disturb signs can be a problem. We went on an all day excursion with the DND sign on the door. When we returned wanting a cool shower after a hot day - you guessed it - the room had not been touched and the towels were on the floor. The poor room steward can't win.

Yes the room attendant saw us leave the room and saw us put the sign on the door - we were speaking to him. He knew it was not left from the night before.

I generally never leave things out when I am not in the room - not so much because I distrust him but when they clean they leave the door open and anyone could have seen and taken something.

I was also under the impression they were never to go in the room if the sign was on the door.

We were going up for a quick dip and I did not want him in there when we returned because we wanted to take showers. That was why I put the sign.

I just feel like he totally invaded our privacy, even if we were not in the room. I did leave a few "private" things around that I never would have if I knew he was coming in. I left my clothes with underthings in a little pile on the chair so they would be ready when I got back to take a quick shower as we were meeting friends.

I do see your point and why you were not happy. Hope the rest of the cruise was good.

It wouldn't matter if they were out for 40 minutes or 5 hours. If there is a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door they should not enter the room. I manage a hotel and that's just a basic rule....you do not disturb a guests privacy if they leave that sign....and if they are gone all day and then wonder why "they didn't get service" we explain about the Do Not Disturb sign. We will call the room to see if they want service but if there is no answer we do not break the privacy barrier. The attendant was wrong and if it is explained to them and it happened again I would take my concerns to their supervisor.

Edited by Gracie115

I would have had a discussion with the Room Steward about it and if he did it again, I would complain to the Housekeeping Manager.

Agree.

Though having been on the other side as a hotel manager, can't tell you how many people who have used DND signs later call to complain that their room was never made up that they took the sign off the doors for 30 minutes at some point of the day, why didn't the room get done then....or say they never had a sign on the door - it's silly but we had to have a manager verify the housekeepers word that a DND was on doors daily and would slip a note under the door saying we didn't service your room because of it, call before 3:30 pm if you want service or visit the front desk to restock amenities.

Also some guests like to play games and walk down the hall moving DND signs from 1 door to another, thus 1 guest gets disturbed that didn't want to and another gets no service who wanted it, so double dissatisfaction. ugh. People suck sometimes.

But I understand OP's issue with not being comfortable having not "prepared" the room to be serviced.

Though not issue here, as the steward saw the OP, hotels do have a responsibility to enter rooms, to ensure noting nefarious is going on on their owned premise, as they have responsibility for the actions of their guests. This is especially true when a DND hangs for more than a single day. My staff unfortunately one day discover a deceased guest after 2 days of the DND on the door, when we determined the guest had not check out on the 2nd day as expected.

Who knew a simple Do Not Disturb sign could be so complicated.... :D

Do Not Disturb signs can be a problem. We went on an all day excursion with the DND sign on the door. When we returned wanting a cool shower after a hot day - you guessed it - the room had not been touched and the towels were on the floor. The poor room steward can't win.

The room steward did his job perfectly in that case.

The passengers were the ones who screwed up and simply had to deal with their mistake.

In the scheme of things, it's simple to get some clean towels - just pick up the phone.

Disaster averted :)

This is especially true when a DND hangs for more than a single day. My staff unfortunately one day discover a deceased guest after 2 days of the DND on the door, when we determined the guest had not check out on the 2nd day as expected.

Who knew a simple Do Not Disturb sign could be so complicated.... :D

Absolutely agree a DND that sits for more than a day definitely calls for entrance to insure all is well....had exactly the same thing happen just 6 months ago here.

Now that we are on the subject of Do Not Disturb signs, on the S-Class ships where you have the little alcove with the two stateroom doors next to each other, if you have your DND sign on the door, and your neighbor enters or leaves the stateroom, the breeze from opening & closing the doors seems to blow off the sign off the door handle.

I take a small piece of duct tape and roll it up and stick it to the back of the sign. That way it stays secured to the door handle.

Now that we are on the subject of Do Not Disturb signs, on the S-Class ships where you have the little alcove with the two stateroom doors next to each other, if you have your DND sign on the door, and your neighbor enters or leaves the stateroom, the breeze from opening & closing the doors seems to blow off the sign off the door handle.

I take a small piece of duct tape and roll it up and stick it to the back of the sign. That way it stays secured to the door handle.

Good suggestion.You could also place the sign in the slot they use for those annoying sale messages and Restaurant reservation cards.

I disagree with a number of the responses here. The purpose of the do not disturb sign is to prevent passengers from being disturbed while they are in the room.

The Steward in this case knew that no one was in the room. They were able to get in get their job done and be out before the occupants came back. So there was no negative impact to the occupants, except for a bit of outrage about how dare a Steward do their job in a room that he knew was empty. By doing what he did he actually minimized the potential impact on the passengers and was able to do his job quickly and efficiently.

If he had not seen you leave then I would agree with the comments about not entering the room.

If you did not want him to enter then you should have said that you were going to be right back and for him to not make up the room at that time.

Thank you - this was my understanding also. It was there for a reason. I did not feel I had to explain to him. I had only seen him on the day we arrived and really never saw him again. It was as if we saw him and talked and he was friendly with us. That was not the case at all. The cruise started Saturday and this happened on Wednesday - I probably saw him a totally of 10 - 15 minutes in that whole time...

You said in your post that he said good morning to you.That would have been the time to introduce your self and make any requests for the remainder of the cruise. Maybe it's because I was never in the hotel business and don't under stand the rules of do not disturb but to me it means I'm in the room please don't come in. I understand that you might not want your room made up because you weren't dressed for the day yet but I just think it's odd that someone would leave the room interact with the room steward and not expect him to clean the room knowing that you were gone. Maybe he thought you forgot to remove the sign.

I like the way RC does this one. Their cards have "Do Not Disturb" on one side, and "Please Make Up Room" on the other. No ambiguity -- and, since they fit into the room key slot, there's little chance of them blowing away. :cool:

OP -- I agree with others that your steward (lacking verbal instructions to the contrary) saw a perfect opportunity to make up your room -- and probably thought you had left the sign out by mistake.

IMHO: The OP had a reasonable expectation that the sign would indicate that the room would not be serviced. His knowledge that the Cabin Attendant saw him place the sign on the door reinforced that expectation. The Stateroom Attendant neither knew or was informed that the OP wouldbe returning within a short time to the cabin and saw an opportunity to prepare the cabin. There is an old, old joke that "Your Stateroom Attendant is so good that you wake up to go to the bathroom and return to find your bed made up". In this case both people made assumptions about what the oher was thinking.I too view the sign as sufficient to indicate that I don't want anyone to enter.However, as this thread has progressed it is clear that others have a different intrepretation. Cle-guy is correct when he discussed what happens when a sign is left on the door. I've read complaints on these boards about laundry not being delivered due to a sign on the door. "The Attendent should have known that I was not there, or knocked on the door" is the response they offer.No one meant to do harm. The problem was created by both when they failed to communicate with each other. When we meet our Attendant on the first day we always ask them if they would like us to call when we are preparing to leave the room so that they know that they can make it up.Most say that they would appreciate a call, some say it's not necessary. So many complaints posted on these boards could be avoided if people would just take the opportunity to talk to each other. If a problem does develop one should discuss it on the ship within the chain of command. I've encountered problems on cruises. I've never left a ship without the problem being resolved.