Lobster on board?

loopner

It depends on the ship and the time of year. On one of our sailings they had a limited number of fresh Maine lobsters that were brought on board and they offered a special the first night in Chops.

No way of knowing until you get on board but in most cases you will likely get frozen Caribbean lobster.

I'm not a fan of lobster, and really don't get what all the fuss is about on cruises about lobster, but I'm often in the company of people who order it and there doesn't seem to be any consistency about it. It seems to vary depending on where you are in the world and which ship you are on.

AS the saying goes in Maine "lobster is only an excuse to eat butter"......;)

LOL That's how my hubby eats it - drowned it butter. I use some but prefer to actually taste the lobster.

I'm not a fan of lobster, and really don't get what all the fuss is about on cruises about lobster, but I'm often in the company of people who order it and there doesn't seem to be any consistency about it. It seems to vary depending on where you are in the world and which ship you are on.

That's what I was concerned about. I've had lobster down south and seen it more than once. It's not the same as a New England lobster. It's certainly not worth paying extra. IMO

I'll probably just choose somehting else. Now Gulf shrimp ... yummmm

Can someone clue me in to what night lobster is served in the MDR? Is it on one of the Formal nights?

FYI, I am on Jewel doing the Southern Caribbean cruise.

Thanks

-F-

2nd formal night on a 7 day cruise and its called the Fisherman's Plate

The lobster tails themselves are relatively small, but you can request 2nds. I did on the Oasis and it was great. (Really, they should give you 2 lobster tails on your plate with the size they are)

The lobster tails themselves are relatively small, but you can request 2nds. I did on the Oasis and it was great. (Really, they should give you 2 lobster tails on your plate with the size they are)

Just off Navigator, and that's what they did. Everyone had two tails on their plate to start with, but just one of those would have been comical anyway. I don't eat stuff like that, but had to laugh at the size -- they seriously just looked like semi-large crawdads. :p The bf said they tasted good, though!

Our waiter on Independence last month said they try to plate the first plates at each seating time with Maine lobster if it is available. Second servings and when Maine lobster is gone they use the previously mentioned Caribbean lobsters. His advice was arrive early to dinner on lobster night for the best shot at the best lobster.

Here's a photo of the free lobster on the Freedom this week as posted by ckrobyn on her live thread. Served without shrimp.

image.jpg1_zpsjdicbhb5.jpg

Just had a the fisherman's plate on Explorer for the NYE cruise and this would have been excellent compared to what we were served. Haven't had a good lobster tail on Royal Caribbean in over 15 years.