Is 12 days too long for a first cruise?

BlowingPlains

Only you know your tolerance best, but I think 12 is very long...excursions and all. For a first sailing, I would personally sail between 3 to 5 days. That way, you'll get a good mix of experience without feeling "trapped" in boat-life for too long.

You'll get a different clientele on a long sailing. Less kids, less younger folks, less "seasonal vacationers" and more sightseers and an overall older, more mature crowd. I mention this because, for me, a lively and party-like environment is a must for my sailing.

Two weeks is something I would do when I become an empty nester, IMO.

our first cruise together was 14 days in the med - awesome except I packed way to much stuff

12 days should give you ample time to wind down and relax

its not hard to have someone make your bed, clean your bathroom, wash your clothes and cook for you! (my opinion)

the nice part about cruising is you unpack once and wake up ever day in a new place

so for me I would say go for it - Alaska is awesome. We have visited on the ground many times and cruised 4 times

hope that helps (everyone will be split on this)

Patrice

We heard about an Alaskan cruise on the radio but we normally limit our vacations to a week or less. 12 days seems like a long time even with excursions.

The fact that the OP is asking such a question is perhaps a sign that a shorter Alaska cruise would be a better match . A 12 day Alaska cruise is rare . 7 days are more common .

We heard about an Alaskan cruise on the radio but we normally limit our vacations to a week or less. 12 days seems like a long time even with excursions.

There are many different things that go into how we all approach a vacation. We started cruising in 1987 and just last year were able to do our 1st sailing longer than 7 days. It was a wonderful 11 days! We enjoyed it so much we are booked for a 10 day this Nov over Thanksgiving.

My first cruise was fourteen nights in Alaska on a forty year old ship. My next cruise was three nights on a sixteen year old ship to Ensenada Mexico. However, the cruise that hooked me was my third cruise which was a one week long cruise to the Mexican Rivera on a two year old ship. I'll be going on my 27th cruise in a couple of months.

The bottom line, if you like it, twelve nights will not be enough because you will soon get very used to be waited on and not being at work.

It's a Holland America cruise on the Oosterdam.

We don't have kids at home, so that isn't a consideration. But I've never been on a ship and don't know if I would be sea sick or not. Dh has been deep sea fishing and never got sick. I read the reviews of HAL and am a little concerned with the smoking and vibration.

Edited by BlowingPlains

I would stick with 7N ers.Went to Alaska 7N in Fall last year. I dont know if its because I live in beautiful Colorado mtns. or most of ice seemed to have melted, it just was not the beautiful cruise I am used to in other areas .HAL ships carry the oldest group of cruisers of any line.

My first cruise was 14 days transatlantic reposition, and although I didn't even know if I would enjoy cruising, I went for it because of the crossing the Atlantic on sea rather than in the air intrigued me. Since then I have not taken a cruise less than 10 days, the longest was 22 days. For me the question now is whether I would enjoy a shorter cruise, like 7 days. I don't think I would even consider less than 7 days. Good luck.

We don't have kids at home, so that isn't a consideration. But I've never been on a ship and don't know if I would be sea sick or not. Dh has been deep sea fishing and never got sick. I read the reviews of HAL and am a little concerned with the smoking and vibration.

I can't comment on the smoking, but every ship vibrates. It is just like a car, bus, train, or plane; some vibrate more or less. I can still remember doing my turn-around day tours of guest areas, and greeting passengers, and having someone ask me: "does the ship always move this much?". We were tied to the dock in Honolulu. Vibration is in the "eye" of the beholder. I am so used to ships' vibrations that I don't notice them until something changes. Lots of people feel that the ship's vibration is like the "magic fingers" massage machines when they go to sleep.

Me again. If I had 12 days I would consider the Caribbean for a first cruise. So much more interesting, exciting and varied. Most of us have been there many times and keep going back.Due to excessive competition always a deal. Late November, early December and first part January yield the best deals, fewest crowds and always good weather.Look for a newer ship. No Mexico or Bahamas.

We did our first cruise last year, already hooked. :) We choose a 5 night to "try it out" wish we had done at least a 7 night it was that great!

Actually to be honest, once we got back to our home, we already missed it and called the cruise line to see if they would offer any special deals to go back on the boat. It was leaving that same day for another 4 nights. Was a disappointment though ,as they did have rooms available, they were able to get us back on, but they did not want to budge on the price. Could not justify the cost as the 4 nighter was only 1 stop to their private island so it was not worth it :(

As others have mentioned consider a Caribbean cruise for your first time, maybe a 7 nighter.

Edited by jb456

Ok...there are no 12 night Alaskan cruises on the Oosterdam.

There are 7 and 14 night cruises on the Oosterdam.

Basically you sail north from Vancouver for 7 nights doing several typical Alaskan ports and then you turn around and sail south for 7 nights doing several typical Alaskan ports.

Several of the ports will be repeats of the northbound trip.

This is great if you like cruising and want to see lots of Alaskan ports.

Many of us here on CC would recommend that you do a 7 night cruise, either northbound or southbound out of Vancouver to/from Anchorage and then spend some days on land in "mainland" Alaska.

Visit Denali National Park, Anchorage and Palmer, go as far as Fairbanks if you like. There is so much to see and do....Alaska is wonderful!!

Spend a lot of time researching this so that you get what you want, not what you may have seen in one of the HAL traveling roadshows.

Edited by thinfool

Looks like a cruisetour -7-day cruise with 5 days in Alaska before or after the cruise (3 days in Denali). We did a cruisetour on Princess with our 2 children (18 & 22). They got the inside, we got the balcony :). We all enjoyed it. 7 days is the most I'd suggest for the cruise portion of a first cruise. The land portion can give you a more in-depth experience of Alaska.

You could book just the 7-day cruise and either skip the land portion, or arrange your own land tour. If you get the cruisetour you will be part of a group getting on/off trains and buses. Some people like having all the stuff taken care of, some prefer doing it themselves.

Regardless of how you do it, try to see more of Alaska than just the cruise ports.

(Haven't been on HAL before, so I can't speak to the smoking/vibration. Gonna find out in 73 days.)

Edited by CantanaLobo

Short cruises don't give you the real "flavor" of a cruise....but Alaskan cruises are in NO WAY the same as a Caribbean cruise!

If Alaska and it's sights are what you want to do, a cruise is the easiest way to do it. And, 2 weeks in Alaska will barely scratch the surface! I say, do it!

14 days in the Caribbean will be too much, IMO....once you've seen one island, the others are pretty much the same type of stuff.....I think a week to 10 days is more than ample. Caribbean cruises are more about the ship. Alaskan cruises are about Alaska!

AHOY SHIPMATE,

i'm cost conscious when planning. When spending the $$ to get to ALASKA

YOU might as well see it ALL.

By all means take the narrow gauge railway to DAWSON , spend a couple days in DENALI, take the paddleboat cruise down the river etc. and then do the last week on the cruise ship south.

When you get home the memories will be complete, with no "I wish I had's" in your discussions about the trip JMHO

It really depends on you ..I love ships....... the swaying motion just lulls me to sleep wonderfully at night .the nice thing about cruises is you unpack once ,wear casual clothes for a variety of exciting activities. Return to shower and change and have an evening of great dinners and shows and entertainment as you travel to your next stop.Every night before retiring I like to gaze at the stars or sea and breathe fresh air .....ahhhhhh

ihave been on many 7 day cruises but my favorites are now 20 +dAys ....i find time flies on a cruise and a week is way too short ....now 20 days flies by ....lOLA

ala aska and Yukon is so gorgeous we did a BTB plus 3days in Vancouver and still did not do or experience it all .i loved it ..hope to do it again all the way to Kodiak

Go .you will have a great time ...you will find a week to be full of great sites and adventures and probably will want another cruise soon after ...they are that addictive ..enjoy

Bon Voyage

Our first cruise was eleven days Ensenada to Hawaii. Loved the sea days to get used to cruising followed by the port days enjoying Hawaii. Loved it so much our next two cruises were a B2B to the Western and Eastern Caribbean. We didn't think seven days would be enough! This summer we have a seven day cruise to Alaska planned. Our only worry is that it won't be long enough! LOL!

So your husband will ask: What vibration? ;)

Do you get motion sick in cars, on roller coasters? If not, you will not get sea sick. If yes, get medication in case the sea is rough. I get motion sick, but that would never prevent me from taking a cruise or any trip for that matter. That's what ginger tablets are for.

I have been on HAL ships and people only smoked in the few designated areas. Not many passengers smoked at all.

Our first cruise was 2 weeks, and it was too short!

We've also done two 7 day to Alaska which were a good length. 12 days would be too long for us there because it is cold!

Only you can decide how long you can handle vacation.

We have sailed on 7 different lines, 1 day on a HAL cruise is too many.