Watch your cards!

Elusive_Cruiser

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Are you certain your credit card was not compromised somewhere by RFID reader ? Maybe in the ATM slot, or someone with a portable proximity RFiD reader standing near you getting your credit card info?

And it's easy to grab the info off of them for ID theft with a inexpensive portable proximity RFID reader. :eek:

Do you carry credit cards/passport in a RFID blocking wallet/passport holder? Better to be safe than sorry later. I think RFID chips are in most credit cards and and US/Canadian Passports. Not sure if RFID chip embedded in credit cards and Passports issued by other counties.

Safe travels in the future.

Actually, RFID theft is not as easy as it's been claimed. Here's link if you would like to learn more:

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/identity/pickpocket.asp

Another thing. Most credit cards, including the 'chip' cards, are not RFID cards. An RFID card can be used by merely waving it in the near vicinity of the reader. Chip cards don't radiate and require physical contact, you have to insert them into the card reader.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Are you certain your credit card was not compromised somewhere by RFID reader ? Maybe in the ATM slot, or someone with a portable proximity RFiD reader standing near you getting your credit card info?

And it's easy to grab the info off of them for ID theft with a inexpensive portable proximity RFID reader. :eek:

Do you carry credit cards/passport in a RFID blocking wallet/passport holder? Better to be safe than sorry later. I think RFID chips are in most credit cards and and US/Canadian Passports. Not sure if RFID chip embedded in credit cards and Passports issued by other counties.

Safe travels in the future.

It is almost totally impossible to read a Canadian Passport.

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=847639

Chip and Pin very safe if used in a pin reader. It seems that Canadians and Brits/Europeans only get into trouble with their cards when travelling out of their country. They are subject to fraud if they get swiped though or if the card leaves your hands and some how the account numbers and exp date are copied. In Canada there is no reason for a debit or credit card to be out of your sight at any time. Almost all restaurants bring a portable pin machine to your table to pay the bill. The time of dropping your credit card on the tray to be whisked away by the waiter to be processed is long gone.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-02-14/hack-resistant-credit-cards-bring-greater-security-at-a-big-price

But after saying all this, we very, very seldom use ATM's or our Credit Cards ashore. We take full advantage of Traveller's Cheques while they are still available and cash them in as needed at guest Services. We usually have 2 CC and 2 debit cards and we leave one debit card and the high limit CC in the safe. I feel sorry for the issues that the OP is going through and glad everything worked out. It is not a pleasant way to end a vacation.

OP You mentioned that the debit card did not work in the ATM after a couple of attempts. I totally forgot about that signal that there could problems (a skimmer etc) with the ATM. We just got back from Costa Rica and while we were there the ATM at the local BCR ate DH's card after 3 tries. It was an ATM problem and the bank staff apologized profusely when we came the next day to retrieve the card. We would have been out of luck if this was a port stop.

Edited by Christine Frances

Hope you had the same card protection we have and were not out of pocket.

The only credit card that we use when cruising is on the cruise ship. Always use cash when off the ship AND don't even own a debit card, too dangerous.

I haven't heard anything about Apple Pay being skimmed.

From what I understand in order to use it, one has to enter a finger print on the iphone fingerprint scanner to use it, and Apple Pay uses "tokenization" for each transaction, and doesn't send any account number details.

I think Apple Pay is actually slightly more secure than Chip cards are, since it has a biotechnical component to it. And people know immediately when their phone goes missing, so will be far more proactive in notifying their credit card carrier about a lost phone/payment method. A credit card can simply slide out of a wallet to the ground and we may not notice till the next time we go to use that card.

Apple pay also sends immediate notification to you that it was used, so if someone does scam you, would will get notified within seconds of the transaction and can react accordingly. Not sure if it can be both email and text, but if you have Apple devices, you now get texts to multiple devices simultaneously (i.e. to iPhone, which may have been stolen, as well as to iPad, desktop and laptop).

I used to do Traveler's Checks, but many places I liked to use them stopped taking them as they were far too easy to counterfeit and verify, and have become the Cassette Tape of the payments world, soon to be the VHS tape I think. I do not accept them at my stores.

I have been reading the thread and I have to give you kudos for very accurate and helpful information. In my line of work I also run into issues of credit card disputes, debit card fraud, maintaining PCI compliance, etc. I have also unfortunatley had a few experiences of my own information being compromised that I learned from.

Everything you have said is extremely accurate and well-put by my guage, despite some that have disagreed with you.

As many have already stated on here, my wife and I also took the step of opening up a separate checking account with a debit card specifically for international travel. Charles Schwab bank charges no foreign transaction fees of any kind and also reimburses all ATM fees anywhere in the world (up to I think $30us per month). We always use an atm attached to a bank if at all possible and we have forutnately never had an issue.

If anyone is looking at opening an account for specifically travel outside the country, Charles Schwab was pretty hard to beat when we shopped around. The only catch is that you must have a Schwab brokerage account first, but technically there doesn't have to be any money in it.

Other than getting cash out, we use Credit cards only for the reasons many have already stated about security. Also, we get cash back rewards for use and it's nice to get a $500 or so check once a year just for using the card.

What do you do when you need cash?

I know we all live in a plastic world these days (we carry several different types of credit card while traveling) but what ever happened to carrying enough cash for the whole trip? In over 50 cruises, we have never had to use an ATM card or take a cash advance against a card. I have used cards overseas at places like hotels and major grocery stores. I always call the card company before leaving listing all countries and dates. So far (knock on wood) no problems (from cruising anyway). Last time there was a problem I got an email from BoA on the morning of the cruise as we sat in our hotel looking at the ship. They wanted to send me a new card due to a data breach back home. Try explaining to a representative how their mailing you a new card isn't going to work:eek::rolleyes:

I know many are fans of bringing cash with them in US$, but there are times when having foreign currency can really save you a lot. In places like Europe the foreign currency is a must. In places like Mexico, it can save you a lot on exchange.

For example, last time we were in Mexico 1 dollar was about 14.5 pesos. When I withdrew from the ATM I paid no fees of any kind with my travel account and got a true 14.5 pesos for every dollar against my account. I saw many Merchants using a general exchange rate of $1 for 10 pesos or $1 for 11 pesos in some places. The best rate was at the beach club where it ws $1 for 12 pesos. Still, we saved a substantial % by using local currency and it really wasn't all the inconvenient to get. There was a bank in the shopping plaza right across from the port.

So we saved 20% - 45% by using local currency depending on where we bought items or food and drink. Well worth the trip to the secure ATM.

I had a credit card compromised by an RFID remote reader somewhere on Las Ramblas in Barcelona a few years ago. The credit card never left my wallet but when I checked my email that night there was a notice from Capital One that my card had been frozen and to call them. Luckily I had other cards but only took out the Capital One card when walking around Barcelona.

I always use RFID blocking wallets now just in case. It doesnt hurt...:D

Canada is one of the highest use of Debit Cards in the world. It is very safe here but I am very, very cautious about using it in any other country.

http://www.interac.ca/en/press-releases/debit-card-fraud-skimming-record-low

From the article this is what concerns me and where we are very careful.

Criminals are increasingly migrating their payment card fraud activity to international exploitation in non-chip environments and card-not-present (i.e., over the Internet and telephone) exploitation on credit cards and other networks’ debit products. Unlike these products, Interac rules offer account holders the added protections of not allowing card-not-present, offline and signature transactions. For example, for Interac transactions, the number on the front of the bank card is an identifier only, not an account number, and cannot be used to conduct card-not-present transactions. Instead, Interac ecommerce transactions are conducted through Interac Online, which leverages the security of web banking. No personal financial information is ever provided to merchants. These rules also protect cardholders from fraud resulting from payment card data security breaches, such as those recently reported in the media.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1232393/debit-card-fraud-drops-dramatically-interac-says/

Earlier this year, Target executives said the use of chip technology in the department store’s own cards could have helped prevent a massive breach of data that compromised million of accounts.

Most if not all card companies will issue cards with both mag strip and chip if you ask for it.....makes transactions in europe MUCH easier

Someone who works for a bank should know that customers can get a debit card for a separate account where they expose themselves to no risk at all.

That is what we and others we know do.

We maintain a low balance travel account in addition to our regular bank accounts.

Before a trip, we transfer the amount of cash we anticipate we will need for the trip into that account, so we have it available for cash withdrawals at ATMs along the way as needed.

This way we never have to worry about carrying around large amounts of cash that may be lost or stolen.

Although our debit cards have never been compromised, we have no need for concern because even if someone were to wipe out the entire balance of that small account completely, we would lose nothing and our "real" bank accounts would not be affected at all.

Additionally, for those of us who are Americans it looks like it is only a matter of time before most banks and credit card companies in the USA will also be issuing the safer chip and pin cards that are already widely used in Europe and are already available at some places in the USA.

Off topic but I am curious. What (if any) is the difference between an ATM card and a debit card? TIA.

There is a difference. I believe an ATM card can only be used at ATMs to withdraw money. A debit card usually has a Mastercard or Visa logo and can be used at either an ATM or merchant to withdraw funds from the linked checking account. Some debit cards can also be used as a credit card instead of an automatic debit from the checking account. YMMV

If I'm not correct, I'm sure someone will pipe in. :)

It is possible to get a card that can only be used at a specific bank or credit union as an ATM card. It would be very rare today. About 99.99% of cards today are debit cards. Same rules apply to both. It in reality makes no difference.

There is a difference. I believe an ATM card can only be used at ATMs to withdraw money. A debit card usually has a Mastercard or Visa logo and can be used at either an ATM or merchant to withdraw funds from the linked checking account. Some debit cards can also be used as a credit card instead of an automatic debit from the checking account. YMMV

A debit card is a card where you have to use a PIN to protect the transaction.

A Credit card only requires a swipe of the magnetic strip, no PIN is entered.

ATM card is now a generic term for any card you put in a machine to get has, which can be done with both Debit and Credit cards.

So some cards can be BOTH a Credit card or Debit card, if they are VI/MC debit cards. If you process it as a debit card and enter a PIN as part of the transacction it gets Debit card rules applied as far as fraud. If it was swiped and signed for (soon to be CHIP and signed) then Credit card disputes will rule.

A debit card is a card where you have to use a PIN to protect the transaction.

A Credit card only requires a swipe of the magnetic strip, no PIN is entered.

ATM card is now a generic term for any card you put in a machine to get has, which can be done with both Debit and Credit cards.

So some cards can be BOTH a Credit card or Debit card, if they are VI/MC debit cards. If you process it as a debit card and enter a PIN as part of the transacction it gets Debit card rules applied as far as fraud. If it was swiped and signed for (soon to be CHIP and signed) then Credit card disputes will rule.

Credit Cards issued in Canada for many years from most banks etc. have had the PIN number. In the province I live in -- all stores etc. were required to install machines that required a PIN number to avoid misuse. True -- at some stores, you can just tap the card if it is under a certain amount (I think $40-50) but I would never do that as I read an article on how someone could skim your card if you tapped it.

In 2010 while on cruise and staying Rome for a week - most restaurants and shops required the use of a pin.

I have never understood why it is not mandatory in the USA. I did notice that on my last trip to Kissimmee in January 2015 that Wal-Mart required the PIN. The use of PIN numbers would prevent some scamming but I am sure criminals will find a way.

Credit Cards issued in Canada for many years from most banks etc. have had the PIN number. In the province I live in -- all stores etc. were required to install machines that required a PIN number to avoid misuse. True -- at some stores, you can just tap the card if it is under a certain amount (I think $40-50) but I would never do that as I read an article on how someone could skim your card if you tapped it.

In 2010 while on cruise and staying Rome for a week - most restaurants and shops required the use of a pin.

I have never understood why it is not mandatory in the USA. I did notice that on my last trip to Kissimmee in January 2015 that Wal-Mart required the PIN. The use of PIN numbers would prevent some scamming but I am sure criminals will find a way.

Merchants get lower processing rates when people use PIN's with their credit/debit cards, so many stores try to PUSH eligible cards to use a PIN-based debit method pf payment.

Many card readers in the US now when swiping a card that can be either debit or credit, make you select debit or credit, this is to try to get more people to elect PIN based debit, so stores ave money and transaction is a bit more secure.

Walmart lilkely pushed you to use Debit since eligible, though you likely could have said "no run it as credit" and they would have.

We made the mistake of using our ATM card at a machine in a convenience store in Mexico and it was cloned and we had a bunch of withdrawals in St Petersburg, Russia the same time we were in Mexico. Needless to say we canceled the card.

Since then we only use our ATM card in machines in banks and have had no further problems.

Good suggestion...thanks!

DH's credit cards and mine have been compromised several times and thank goodness we are usually notified. In 2011 his CapOne card, which was only used for foreign transactions and on this particular cruise only used in Grand Cayman at a car rental agency, gas station and Diamonds International, was suddenly being used for all sorts of small transactions in upstate NY. Charges were made at Walmarts, gas stations, drug stores, etc. in a variety of towns.

The charges were erased from his account and a new card issued, but DH was out for justice! He contacted police departments in the various cities "his" card was used.

Here is the result: http://www.fairport-erpost.com/x1266606525/Secret-Service-raids-Penfield-home-in-credit-card-fraud-investigation. DH is the victim in Ohio.

DH's credit cards and mine have been compromised several times and thank goodness we are usually notified. In 2011 his CapOne card, which was only used for foreign transactions and on this particular cruise only used in Grand Cayman at a car rental agency, gas station and Diamonds International, was suddenly being used for all sorts of small transactions in upstate NY. Charges were made at Walmarts, gas stations, drug stores, etc. in a variety of towns.

The charges were erased from his account and a new card issued, but DH was out for justice! He contacted police departments in the various cities "his" card was used.

Here is the result: http://www.fairport-erpost.com/x1266606525/Secret-Service-raids-Penfield-home-in-credit-card-fraud-investigation. DH is the victim in Ohio.

I applaud your DH!!! I didn't realize you could file police reports. Thanks for the info!!!!

Edited by 20pluscruises