Solstice - starting to change over to Concierge class

Langley Cruisers

Here is my confusion, why would Celebrity make 9107 a Concierge Cabin. I can certainly see making midship cabins on lower decks CC, but a cabin in the front of the ship I don't understand.

I think that they change the less popular cabins to CC and AQ. With the extra perks, people then want to book them AND they can charge more. For X that's a win win situation.

Something is missing here in communication. There is no way that a cabin that has been deposited and/or paid for would be switched over and then the occupants charged additional money. Celebrity would make the switch for a future date and bookings as of that date would have the higher price. I do not believe your agent for a second that your booked cabin was switched over and Celebrity is asking for more money. This makes absolutely no sense and I'm shocked that no one has stated this, especially with all the "in the knows" on CC.

Are you a captain's club member? I suggest you call them an ask if the cabin has been switched. I have found them very helpful in answering questions even when we have booked thru a TA.

Edited by vickykay

I'm certainly not questioning what you were told by your TA, but this doesn't make any sense to me. Even if Celebrity is planning to convert some cabins to CC at a later date, you should be grandfathered into your confirmed cabin at the price you contracted for.

Something is missing here in communication. There is no way that a cabin that has been deposited and/or paid for would be switched over and then the occupants charged additional money. Celebrity would make the switch for a future date and bookings as of that date would have the higher price. I do not believe your agent for a second that your booked cabin was switched over and Celebrity is asking for more money. This makes absolutely no sense and I'm shocked that no one has stated this, especially with all the "in the knows" on CC.

If X is saying "pay us more to keep this cabin number, or else we will move you to another open cabin in the current class of cabin you paid for", then I would say X has every right to do this. Not much different than a random last minute cabin reassignment. The contract we agree to does not guarantee any specific cabin assignment at all.

If they say "pay $900 or cancel your sailing", then I'd say they are bonkers. They owe you on date of sailing a cabin in the category you paid for or better, or a commensurate refund on your fare if downgraded in category. But so long as you sail in any cabin in your paid or better category, they have met their contract to you. The do not owe anyone any specific cabin number.

Edited by cle-guy

I'm certainly not questioning what you were told by your TA, but this doesn't make any sense to me. Even if Celebrity is planning to convert some cabins to CC at a later date, you should be grandfathered into your confirmed cabin at the price you contracted for.

I totally agree with these posts. OP, I think there's likely been a major mis-communication. If you had a cabin booked for a certain category at a certain price, I do not believe Celebrity could (or would) just decide to change the "category" of the cabin on you and tell you needed to fork over more money to stay in it.

You said you trust your TA, but the situation just does not make any sense. I agree with the advice above to call the Captain's Club and ask them what's going on, and hope that they will talk to you. If they won't, have your TA set up a three-way conf call -- you, Celebrity, and the TA.

That is idiotic. What are you getting that is pyshically different, a different shower head???:confused: The rest are just perks that could be delayed since it will cost X so much money :rolleyes:

I read where a person that was in a CC cabin that got converted to AQ recieved the perks for free. it was on another thread a few days ago.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

That is idiotic. What are you getting that is pyshically different, a different shower head???:confused: The rest are just perks that could be delayed since it will cost X so much money :rolleyes:

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Well, don't forget that someone has to deliver the footstools to the balcony. :D

I never knew 2+2=7. None of this makes any sense. Well the $900 upcharge makes some sense because sometimes that gives you more 123GO perks. I know on our AU/NZ sailing on the Solstice the difference between 1B and C3 is $900 but making that move would give us all three perks and not just one...If it was me, I would be on the phone with Celebrity and when they referred me back to my TA, it would really hit the fan. This is just totally wrong

Langley Cruisers, maybe you should make a dummy booking with Celebrity for your original cabin and see what the cost is and what category it is. I find this additional charge for the change to a new category of cabin strange too. How long has it been since you booked the original cabin?

I'm glad you are happy with your new assignment. Those hump cabins are the best. however, they should have given you something for being such an agreeable customer!

Are you a captain's club member? I suggest you call them an ask if the cabin has been switched. I have found them very helpful in answering questions even when we have booked thru a TA.

Thanks, yes. We are Elite on Celebrity. Perhaps we will give a call. :)

I'm glad you are happy with your new assignment. Those hump cabins are the best. however, they should have given you something for being such an agreeable customer!

Aww, thanks.

And you know what - I swear our new hump/bump was not available at original booking or else we would have snagged it! We took the best of what was available, and I'm almost positive our new cabin wasn't. Things that make you go "Hmmm!!". :D

Thanks to everyone, I really mean that.

You have been very agreeable and I'm happy that you're happy with your new cabin.;)

What worries me is the precedent this sets. I agree with all the other posters who say it doesn't make sense. Once a cabin is booked, it is unheard of to go to the customer and say, sorry that cabin is now $900 more per person, move or pay. Even with Celebrity's odd goings-on lately, that just sounds wrong. So what is to prevent them from doing this to anyone on any sailing in the future? What if they call me, for instance, and say 'your cabin is now going to be CC, pay up'? I'm not actually worried about that at this point, but it COULD happen to any of us.

I also find it interesting that no one else has reported this, you would think there would be a huge outcry. That, and the fact that your original cabin is still showing as a 1B at the moment, makes it all seem very weird. . .I just don't know what to make of it. 'Tis a puzzlement!

...I'm not actually worried about that at this point, but it COULD happen to any of us... I also find it interesting that no one else has reported this, you would think there would be a huge outcry.

Apparently this just happened yesterday and our TA called us immediately. But I hear you. And it could happen to others and I think that was my motivation for posting here - just to let others know. Like I said, I'm not upset or angry because we like this new cabin better! :) And as upwarduk suggested, it will take a while to update the website. But I remain puzzled, like you..

My head hurts! LOL :D:D

Also a little confused, I would make some calls to some supervisors but here's some info I haven't seen.

If you go to the web site, click on ships, Solstice, and then Deck plans there is a box on the right hand upper side which has tabs for deck plans for two different dates. The first tab covers deck plans from now until April 2015 and the second covers May 1, 2015 to May 2017. I have seen these before and usually are done when there are changes, my guess in this one it is to cover some of the suite changes being made.

Point is, in both of these tabs your cabin is listed as a veranda cabin, no change to a Concierge, they would really have to change a lot of cabins to Concierge for this to make any sense. Think someone made a mistake, you need to take this up higher and show the tab I mentioned to a supervisor.

Perhaps a separate thread directed to the Celebrity Cruises poster who frequents this web site, something like is Celebrity changing veranda cabins on Solstice to Concierge.

Edited by dkjretired

Quite a few years ago we booked a regular veranda stateroom on the Infinity. Before we cruised they changed that stateroom to concierge class. We were never asked to move, we were never up-charged but we did get to enjoy all the perks of cc . I cannot believe they would not honor your current reservation. I probably would not take the word of the TA and talk with celebrity directly.

Cabin 9107 as OP posted, is shown as a veranda cabin on the current deck plans, and as well on the revised deck plans taking effect May 2015.

Has anyone been able to confirm the changeover of such cabins?

Even doing a new booking for a cruise in May on solstice, Deck 9 forward is still selling as standard veranda cabins, as shown on both the old and revised deck plans.

Does seem to be some sort of miscommunication going on.

Cabin 9107 as OP posted, is shown as a veranda cabin on the current deck plans, and as well on the revised deck plans taking effect May 2015...

Yes, I want to believe that the website is not updated as of yet. The Royal website is horrendously out of date in several cases.

Sounds like a double booking.

Perhaps. That being said, we have a great new cabin on the hump, XpressPass is printed and documents confirm our new assignment. It's all good. :)

If it turns out that all is not all good, I will return to this thread, but for now we are happy.