Packing snacks for excursions

Tee & Chilli

I have the following excursions planned. Is there a store near the port to buy snacks or can I take a piece of fruit from the ship? All of my excursions begin shortly after arriving in port.

Juneau - Adventure Bound - 7 hour small boat excursion

Seward - Kenai Fjords - 6 hours

I purchased the lunch option

Skagway - Drive to Emerald Lake - 6 hours

I think several people mentioned a store in Carcross

ISP - Whale watching

If you are like me and need to have a ready source of snacks( I am a diabetic), I always bring some granola bars or peanut butter crackers and apple juice boxes as well as glucose tablets in case of meal delays,transportation delays,etc.

This is a personal health and safety issue and if I did not take care to do this it would not only create a danger to me but it could also affect fellow passengers on an excursion so I choose to not inflict my health issues on others.

I have found the most reliable way is to pack basic items in my suitcase before I fly so in case I can't find a mini market or grocery store I will be okay.

I have taken bananas off the ship without problems despite many posters who are critical of this but I either consume them or bring them back with me so I do not adversely impact any environment regardless of the port I visit.

I have the following excursions planned. Is there a store near the port to buy snacks or can I take a piece of fruit from the ship? All of my excursions begin shortly after arriving in port.

Juneau - Adventure Bound - 7 hour small boat excursion

Seward - Kenai Fjords - 6 hours

I purchased the lunch option

Skagway - Drive to Emerald Lake - 6 hours

I think several people mentioned a store in Carcross

ISP - Whale watching

Adventure Bound - they sell sandwiches and snacks on the boat. I think they had some free beverages (maybe hot chocolate?) but don't remember for sure.

There are lots of places to get food in Juneau, but the Adventure Bound boat leaves very early in the morning so you won't have time to shop there before your excursion.

If you have concerns about the availability of some specific food or drink in particular, just contact them directly in advance and ask if they can arrange to have it for you.

Skagway - There are many stores that sell all sorts of food in town, including a grocery store, so it is easy to stock up before your drive if you wish.

Food is available for sale at several places around Carcross and at Caribou Crossing (on the way to Emerald Lake). You can get ice cream at the general store in Carcross. The new bakery there has good soups and sandwiches.

ISP - The small whale watching boats of the independent vendors provide snacks and drinks on board at no additional charge. There is food for sale in the town of Hoonah, where you board the boats of the independent vendors, and right at Icy Strait Point itself, up the ramp from the dock where you get off the tender.

As for taking food off the ship, whenever this subject has come up here in the past, different people have posted contradictory opinions.

It really would be better to ask and get an official answer on board your cruise ship as to what is or is not permitted to be taken off at the ports.

That information may even be posted in your cruise ship's daily schedule.

Edited by fleckle

You can not take fruit off of the ship or anything else that is not sealed by the manufacturer.

I have done Adventure Bound 2x. I bring bottled water from the ship and often bring granola bars (sealed) from home and throw them in my bag. They do have sandwiches, chips and drinks that you can buy from them and their prices are very reasonable. They do leave very early and the last time I went with them, they called me that morning and wanted to pick me up at the ship so that they could leave promptly.

My kids would love to have a picnic on our drive to Emerald lake, and I would love suggestions on where to get fresh food items. Can we purchase them in Skagway and bring them along, keeping in mind that we have to cross into Canada? Do the cars get inspected for food at the borders? If not allowed, where would be a good place to buy food items after the border crossing?

Thanks!

As others have mentioned you could get in trouble or fined for bring non-sealed food off the ship. I wouldn't risk it! It would much cheaper to buy snacks in the port than get a fine.

Have a great cruise!

I have never been/had my bags searched while leaving the ship to go ashore, at any of the ports I've been to... I know I've only been on 4 cruises so far, but not once has anyone from the ship looked at anything (other than my ship card when they scan it) I was taking off the ship with me, so I guess I wonder how they would know... and I typically don't see too many people from "customs" checking out passengers coming off the ship. I'm not saying it doesn't ever happen, I've just never seen it... I've seen quite a few people stuffing their bags with fruit from the buffet the morning of ports, even though every sailing I've been on, it specifically says you're not allowed to take any fresh fruit/perishable foods off the ship and into port.

Coming back onboard, they do scan bags, and I have seen people lose food items to the ship security.

I have never been/had my bags searched while leaving the ship to go ashore, at any of the ports I've been to... I know I've only been on 4 cruises so far, but not once has anyone from the ship looked at anything (other than my ship card when they scan it) I was taking off the ship with me, so I guess I wonder how they would know... and I typically don't see too many people from "customs" checking out passengers coming off the ship. I'm not saying it doesn't ever happen, I've just never seen it... I've seen quite a few people stuffing their bags with fruit from the buffet the morning of ports, even though every sailing I've been on, it specifically says you're not allowed to take any fresh fruit/perishable foods off the ship and into port.

Coming back onboard, they do scan bags, and I have seen people lose food items to the ship security.

Mexican security was using a dog to sniff bags last week at the end of the pier in Cozumel. They were looking for raw fruit. They didn't care about anything else.

NCL has recently changed its language about what is allowed ashore and it says:

". . . it is not permitted to take ashore or bring back the following items to the Dawn: plants, fruits, vegetables, meats, palm crafts, and illegal substances."

I'm not going to tell you how to interpret this language, but IMO it is clear what they mean and it does not include sandwiches.

Mexican security was using a dog to sniff bags last week at the end of the pier in Cozumel. They were looking for raw fruit. They didn't care about anything else.

NCL has recently changed its language about what is allowed ashore and it says:

". . . it is not permitted to take ashore or bring back the following items to the Dawn: plants, fruits, vegetables, meats, palm crafts, and illegal substances."

I'm not going to tell you how to interpret this language, but IMO it is clear what they mean and it does not include sandwiches.

Now that you mention it, I do remember the dogs at the end of the pier in Cozumel in Jan! Sorry that one did slip my mind... I even stopped to talk to one of the officers about the dogs!! I guess I never even put 2 and 2 together to realize that is what they were "sniffing for"... makes complete sense. Thanks for triggering my memory! :)

I’ve seen young people try to take Apples and Oranges off the ship up in Alaska, only to be told that they couldn’t take them ashore by security. All I can say is let your conscience be your guide. We all know it’s No, No! We bring a few snack things along with us from Seattle that we take ashore.

I have seen people be told that they cannot take their COFFEE ashore with them in Alaska. Just follow the rules and only take pre-packaged foods. Also, if you are going out to Mendenhall Glacier, don't take any food at all, due to bears! :eek:

Skagway has a grocery. I think it's an IGA. It seems to me that it was 1 block over.....so if you are standing on the main street, with the cruise ship behind you, then go one street over to the left and there's an IGA. We bought a loaf of bread there.

Icy Strait is supposed to have a little donut shack now. I was going to look for it before we go on our whale watch. Last time, our whale watch had a jar full of store bought cookies and coffee and hot chocolate. We were with F.I.S.H.E.S.

If you are like me and need to have a ready source of snacks( I am a diabetic), I always bring some granola bars or peanut butter crackers and apple juice boxes as well as glucose tablets in case of meal delays,transportation delays,etc.

This is a personal health and safety issue and if I did not take care to do this it would not only create a danger to me but it could also affect fellow passengers on an excursion so I choose to not inflict my health issues on others.

I have found the most reliable way is to pack basic items in my suitcase before I fly so in case I can't find a mini market or grocery store I will be okay.

I have taken bananas off the ship without problems despite many posters who are critical of this but I either consume them or bring them back with me so I do not adversely impact any environment regardless of the port I visit.

I know you don't mean harm, but on the off chance you may be introducing an invasive insect that will wipe out farmers crops and livelihood.... please don't. There is a fine if caught. And there are big signs as you leave the ship warning passengers not to take fruit/veg off.

I took a lot of snacks with us on our last cruise to Alaska. We ate most of them for breakfast instead of buying it on the land portion before our cruise. My favorite items are small packs of fruit and nuts from Trader Joe's and granola bars.

I love the chocolate covered pomegranate seeds from Trader Joes. I think it's best if I bring my own snacks because the vendors might not have some of my favorites.

Thanks everyone

This is a good plan especially with Aventure Bound. There won't be enough time to find food in port before boarding their boat. It was just last year and I can't remember if we got sandwiches from them or brought packaged foods from home. All I remember were the whales, four bear sightings and ice flows. Oh, and the very looonnng day! It was worth it though. :)