Asking stewards to not clean cabin.

summer slope

When we travel and stay in a hotel we put the do not disturb sign out for the whole stay since we have things set out where we want them. Can you ask your stewards to skip cleaning your room for a day or two. I scrapbook and will have pictures and supplies out and in their way.

When we travel and stay in a hotel we put the do not disturb sign out for the whole stay since we have things set out where we want them. Can you ask your stewards to skip cleaning your room for a day or two. I scrapbook and will have pictures and supplies out and in their way.

Don't know if the rule is the same for all Carnival Corporation ships. On Carnival the rule is a maximum of two days and the evening of the second day they send security "to make sure you are okay". We told our steward my husband (at that time) was recovering from back surgery and laying down for many hours during the day and only away from the cabin for short trips or on the balcony. He didn't tell us about this rule and imagine our surprise when almost 9PM we got a knock on the door. The next day I asked at guest services and they confirmed this practice but the stewart was at liberty to let us know but didn't. They steward saw me several times a day including when I brought him used towels, etc. and he gave me replacements.

Edited by qsuzi

Some of my family visited from Europe this past Christmas and stayed at several hotels during their road-trip. They (for reasons I can't understand :rolleyes:) also always leave their DND sign out. Every single day without fail there was a piece of paper in the room that stated "we have the right to enter your room every 24 hours" - and so they did.

I think to a certain degree they worry about bodily harm of the occupant(s), but also physical damage to their belongings and/or illegal activities.

I would assume on a cruiseship they would worry to see a DND sign all the time and therefore security and hotel management officers would also enter. :cool:

Op, I hope you get an answer to your question. It's a good one. I'm a person that likes to spend a fair bit of time on the balcony. Whenever I am, I put the do not disturb sign out. I've had a number of comments from various cabin stewards on both hal and princess about it and they seem to be upset that I do it. It seems very odd to comment on it. You'd think in your case OP they would be happy with one less cabin to clean :D.

Edited by cruz chic

Op, I hope you get an answer to your question. It's a good one. I'm a person that likes to spend a fair bit of time on the balcony. Whenever I am, I put the do not disturb sign out. I've had a number of comments from various cabin stewards on both hal and princess about it and they seem to be upset that I do it. It seems very odd to comment on it. You'd think in your case OP they would be happy with one less cabin to clean :D.

That's what we thought too - one less cabin to clean. We pre -paid the gratuities but wondered if the steward didn't know that and thought we were not going to tip him.

It's been my experience that the stewards never disturb anything in place. They just work around it. ;) And, surely, if you explain to them, they will adhere to your requests. The most they ever do, is make the bed and clean the bathroom, refresh towels, ice, etc. So, as long as you don't scrapbook in the bathtub in the nude or on the bed, you should be OK. :D:D

I would think that if you left a note either in your cabin or on your door explaining your concerns to the steward they would honor it and not disturb your artwork.

BTW, the World Cruise is currently in Indonesia, and many of the crew are getting family visits. The live reports from the WC indicate that many rooms have notes to "skip my room today and enjoy your family".

Roy

I would think that if you left a note either in your cabin or on your door explaining your concerns to the steward they would honor it and not disturb your artwork.

BTW, the World Cruise is currently in Indonesia, and many of the crew are getting family visits. The live reports from the WC indicate that many rooms have notes to "skip my room today and enjoy your family".

Roy

What a wonderful gesture by the passengers.

It must be a universal thing, because I've experienced the same...unhappiness...with skipping cleaning for a day on Carnival and NCL. I don't think stewards get bent if they encounter a "do not disturb" sign for a couple of hours during non-cleaning times. People nap and take showers, and oughtn't be disturbed in such situations.

Here's why I think they get upset when passengers request their room not be cleaned: Stewards get into a rhythm, and are trained to be very methodical in how they clean a cabin. Skipping a cabin can break that rhythm, and can throw them off all the way down the line, not only for that shift, but for the next. Then they have to keep circling round to see if the sign has changed to "please make up room" which throws them off even more. And if they skip a cabin for a whole day, they'll likely have twice as much to clean the next, which fouls up their schedule for another day. And all the while they probably have a supervisor breathing down their necks.

I figure the most considerate thing to do is be out of the cabin, and out of the way when the carts come around, even when I'd rather sleep in. I can always come back after breakfast and take a nap. They don't have that luxury.

If cruiselines truly wanted to do something sensible, they'd service cabins only once a day, and give everybody a break. Except for those famblee-types who use a vacation to turn their lodgings into a hazmat area. But I don't care about them:) As ever, ymmv.

Edited by buckirj1
excessive prepositioning

It must be a universal thing, because I've experienced the same...unhappiness...with skipping cleaning for a day on Carnival and NCL. I don't think stewards get bent if they encounter a "do not disturb" sign for a couple of hours during non-cleaning times. People nap and take showers, and oughtn't be disturbed in such situations.

Here's why I think they get upset when passengers request their room not be cleaned: Stewards get into a rhythm, and are trained to be very methodical in how they clean a cabin. Skipping a cabin can break that rhythm, and can throw them off all the way down the line, not only for that shift, but for the next. Then they have to keep circling round to see if the sign has changed to "please make up room" which throws them off even more. And if they skip a cabin for a whole day, they'll likely have twice as much to clean the next, which fouls up their schedule for another day. And all the while they probably have a supervisor breathing down their necks.

I figure the most considerate thing to do is be out of the cabin, and out of the way when the carts come around, even when I'd rather sleep in. I can always come back after breakfast and take a nap. They don't have that luxury.

If cruiselines truly wanted to do something sensible, they'd service cabins only once a day, and give everybody a break. Except for those famblee-types who use a vacation to turn their lodgings into a hazmat area. But I don't care about them:) As ever, ymmv.

Good point. I'm generally out of my cabin by 8 or 8:30 and I'm happy as a clam when my cabin is clean when I get back. I never put out the do not disturb before the cabin has been cleaned, only after.

I sometimes travel with someone who keeps the Do Not Disturb sign in the door all the time. What I have observed is that it means the steward ends up having to hover, waiting for her to open the door, to ask permission to look after the room. It seems that once a day is the minimum, but I have no hard data to support that, just observation.

<snip>

Roy

I love reading this, Roy. :)

Thanks for sharing it.

What a wonderful gesture by the passengers.

Isn't this great? It is pretty standard on any HAL cruise that stops in Indonesia.

We had no problem with just the towels being changed in the mornings for 3 days. The cabin stewards were a little perturbed, but got the OK from the Ex. Housekeeper.

Good point. I'm generally out of my cabin by 8 or 8:30 and I'm happy as a clam when my cabin is clean when I get back. I never put out the do not disturb before the cabin has been cleaned, only after.

What times do the cabins get cleaned generally? Thanks!

Maybe they did not understand that you wanted your cabin skipped that day??

Maybe they did not understand that you wanted your cabin skipped that day??

But that's the point. I didn't want my cabin skipped. I think people must be very, very confused by my post but I have no idea why. I put my do not disturb tag out AFTER my room is cleaned NEVER before. I mentioned this in a previous post but I guess I wasn't clear or its being glossed over. Please see my post number 10 on this thread where I mentioned it.

Edited by cruz chic

Whether it's at a hotel or on the ship, we sometimes see the steward or maid and tell them that they can skip our room that day if they'll just give us some clean towels at the moment. I've never seen anybody react unhappily, in fact they usually have a big smile on their face and are happy to check off that cabin our room as "done"!

Will the stewards only clean if you are out of the stateroom? If my husband and I want to spend time on the balcony, I don't think we'd mind if the room was being cleaned...

I've had them clean while I was on the balcony. I know others that barely leave their room so I don't think it's a big problem.

We have never had a problem asking our room steward to pass our room for a day or two, especially if one of us is under the weather a bit - like a headache or stomach issues. I just usually hand them the dirty towels and ask for some clean ones. Funny thing is they really are not that concerned about cleaning the room but do have concerns about you not feeling well. Probably because of Noro.

.........and there have been times when we just wanted to be hermits and stay snuggled down in bed all day long watching movies, especially when we are on longer cruisers. I think we just get tired of being on the go all day long, day after day, just wanting to hibernated for a day or so.

Will the stewards only clean if you are out of the stateroom? If my husband and I want to spend time on the balcony, I don't think we'd mind if the room was being cleaned...
No, DH often stays in the room while it is being serviced if he happens to be working on his computer or is just out on the balcony. The steward always asks if it is OK, or if he should come back.

if I am working on my photographs, I will join Joanie on the verandah while the room is cleaned. We do work out specific cleaning times for our cruise days and then arrange our schedules to make the room available for cleaning.

It must be noted that we tell the Room Steward on the first meeting to not touch anything on the desk but everything else is fair game for them. With the exception of one lackluster Room Steward a few years ago, our Room Stewards have been excellent.

What is the big deal? You can't leave 'stuff' on your bed or in the toilet or leave on the floor? Tables or the counters is fair and just say to the steward, do not move anything on those. They will not touch anything.

You are not doing a favour for you steward by not making up your room. He has WORK to do.. and has a routine for the cabin. When you stop him in his work... how do you change sheets etc? The best idea is to catch your steward and tell him that you want you cabin to be made up either just before 7am... when he takes breakfast... or ask him to make you cabin up first in the morning at 8 am. Then tell him you can leave the cabin alone until next morning. You can take turn down bed at night.

On many cruises I paint when I work in the cabin. WET PAINT! It is not the stewards job to work around my mess. Quite easy... I put everything away and put wet painting in a locker or even stay in the cabin when I am staying with it so it won't be flick with a sheet or a duster! No problem. When the steward goes out of the cabin everything is as neat as first day of the cruise. Then put my 'stuff' out for the day's work. I usually have my steward in the cabin several times during the day...... " COFFEE!!!!!!!!! "

Roy

Jeff's blog has some awesome photos of families on board - including a crew member who saw his 2-week old baby for the 1st time!

We have to remember that each steward is - for lack of a better word - patrolled by their supervisor who daily checks rooms / the steward's work on a random basis and who ignores most DND signs. This may contribute to their response when asked to not clean a cabin, especially for an entire day or 2. When I ask that our room not be cleaned, I also leave a note in a very obvious place in the room. If you do not want your cabin cleaned for a more than a day, etc, may be a good idea to have a chat with the area supervisor and cabin steward together.