Dress code for kids in the main dining room

What is the dress code for kids in the main dining room? We will be on a 5 day western caribbean cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas. He will be 9 and we will be doing the family dining so he will be picked up by the youth staff and be going directly to the kids activities from the dining room. Thanks.

The suggested dress is often different than what you actually see in the dining room - on adults and children as well. The suggestion on non-formal nights is usually smart casual (men/boys in long pants and a collared shirt, women/girls in sundress/capris/trousers/blouses). What you'll see, however, is often different. Men/Women (and boys and girls) in jeans, shorts and t-shirts (no collar).

On our last cruise, we decided not to pack formal attire, and planned to eat in the Windjammer on both formal nights. After skipping the first formal night, on night #3 of our cruise our waiter asked why we hadn't come to dinner the previous night. We told him we hadn't packed formal attire and didn't want to come to formal night in our casual clothes. He said "you wear what you want... nobody cares". Even though we had packed smart casual attire for the rest of the nights, by night #3 we were feeling overdressed because most people were wearing shorts, jeans and t-shirts on the non-formal nights. Night #4 my husband chose to wear his golf shorts and a polo shirt to dinner. He wore long pants and a button down on the 2nd formal night and was dressed similarly to most and better than some!

On our last cruise, we decided not to pack formal attire, and planned to eat in the Windjammer on both formal nights. After skipping the first formal night, on night #3 of our cruise our waiter asked why we hadn't come to dinner the previous night. We told him we hadn't packed formal attire and didn't want to come to formal night in our casual clothes. He said "you wear what you want... nobody cares".

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the final answer for this and all subsequent "dress code" threads. The debate is finally over.

What is the dress code for kids in the main dining room? We will be on a 5 day western caribbean cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas. He will be 9 and we will be doing the family dining so he will be picked up by the youth staff and be going directly to the kids activities from the dining room. Thanks.

My daughter wore dresses with biker shorts every night (her choice - she liked being fancier than her 'play' clothes) and out son (age 8) wore pants and a polo shirt most nights before heading to the kids club with the staff at 6:40.

If it was really warm out and he finished dinner 'early' we would send him to the room to change and then meet us back at deck 4 for pick up. If it was warm or PJ night or sports night for the kids, they would go in their dinner clothes and then when we finished dinner we would walk up with their change of clothes and they would change there.

No hats and no shorts in the dining room. That's the rule. Everything else is a suggestion.

Although the "no shorts" thing is a rule I've seen quite a few people wearing shorts in the dining room - usually children, sometimes adults. The only time I've seen anyone turned away was a gentleman that was wearing a baseball cap. They asked him politely to remove it, he politely declined and then immediately left (assuming for the Windjammer).

I'll come back to this thread tomorrow with some popcorn. :)

A 9yo boy from Tampa probably never wears long pants and he will be fine in the MDR in nice shorts. Then he can head to the kids activities dressed appropriately. Enjoy your cruise.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the final answer for this and all subsequent "dress code" threads. The debate is finally over.

Waiters have been saying this for years...not a new revelation. I would tend to agree with said waiter. The dress code seems to have gone the way of different decks for different "classes" which is not necessarily a bad thing, it is just the way it is. If you are neat and clean and not in some really "tacky" outfit (i.e.. ripped short shorts and a tank top or wife beater shirt), you will be welcomed into the MDR. I know there are those who do not agree with this, but as I said it seems to be the way things are be it right or wrong. :)

• Like 1

A 9yo boy from Tampa probably never wears long pants and he will be fine in the MDR in nice shorts. Then he can head to the kids activities dressed appropriately. Enjoy your cruise.

My kid's always were long pants when expected and they were both born in Florida. What does living in the South have to do with long pants? Everyone I work with are wearing long pants? Just because it is hot, does not mean long pants are not worn.

I do believe the poster asked what the dress code is and the correct answer is that the dress code is the same as everyone else. Whether the parent wants to teach the child proper dress, is up to them. If shorts are not permitted, than let them wear jeans, or khaki's. I'm sure every has at least one nice pair of pants, and a selection of jeans.

Edited by Havingfun2010

My kid's always were long pants when expected and they were both born in Florida. What does living in the South have to do with long pants? Everyone I work with are wearing long pants? Just because it is hot, does not mean long pants are not worn.

I do believe the poster asked what the dress code is and the correct answer is that the dress code is the same as everyone else. Whether the parent wants to teach the child proper dress, is up to them. If shorts are not permitted, than let them wear jeans, or khaki's. I'm sure every has at least one nice pair of pants, and a selection of jeans.

Well put. Plus the fact that the dining room is usually air conditioned to the hilt. Of course the waiter is going to tell you to wear what you want - they want their tips after all.

they want their tips after all.

They get their tips whether you show or not. They tell you "wear what you want" because no one, most especially the cruise line, except a select few on this board cares what others wear. Period.

Edited by ryano

They get their tips whether you show or not. They tell you "wear what you want" because no one, most especially the cruise line, except a select few on this board cares what others wear. Period.

Highlighted for emphasis :)

My kids wore pants and golf shirts for most MDR dinners, but we let them wear golf shorts one night. Formal nights, they did wear shirts and ties, but we also wanted to get formal pics done before dinner as well, so we had them dressed nicer.

In general, I would think as long as someone is not really sloppily dressed, nobody is going to bat an eye.

I agree on both of your statements. I'm glad you posted this. I was going to post something concerning not wearing long pants but I'm not from the South and thought it wouldn't mean as much.

Edited by davekathy

same as for adults.. no shorts or tank tops for dinner

Waiters have been saying this for years...not a new revelation. I would tend to agree with said waiter. The dress code seems to have gone the way of different decks for different "classes" which is not necessarily a bad thing, it is just the way it is. If you are neat and clean and not in some really "tacky" outfit (i.e.. ripped short shorts and a tank top or wife beater shirt), you will be welcomed into the MDR. I know there are those who do not agree with this, but as I said it seems to be the way things are be it right or wrong. :)

Agree that this is not a "revelation", but it does go to prove that the only party that really matters (RCL) doesn't care what anyone wears, they just want you to show up and enjoy yourself.

The endless finger-pointing and snide comments by the formal-night Elite should now finally be put to rest, hopefully... :rolleyes:

I can see khaki pants and polos for boys for formal nights - asking my sons to wear ties on vacation is a bit much (they are 8 & 11). We dress for church - in khakis and polos (dress for me). They wear ties three days a week for school, I think they deserve a break. Disney didn't have a dress policy and people always looked nice, I thought.

I plan to have the boys wear khakis on the flight down (we're in New England) and change into shorts at the airport. They'll also pack a second pair just in case. No jeans - too hot and still not dressy, so what's the point? Plus flying in jeans is uncomfortable. It seems silly to pack dress shoes - sandals, dress shoes, and sneakers for one week? - but we probably will. If they're going to the kids' club after dinner, I will let them wear khaki shorts like they do for "relaxed" uniform at school.

As for me, sundresses on casual nights, cocktail dresses for formal nights. DH will be in a shirt, no tie, blazer and khakis for formal, casual button shirt and khakis for casual.

I hope it works out. If not, we'll eat elsewhere. I'm really bringing my dressier clothes for the adult-only dinners DH and I are planning ;-) Date night! With dancing too!

I find it pointless to judge others' clothing choices. Some people look snazzy in casual clothes, and others look like slobs in dress clothes. What they really should do is have a dressy restaurant, rather than the MDR on a particular night. Make it adults only, and those who wish to have a more elegant experience can do so. Disney does this with Palo, and it's lovely. Of course the food and the service are fantastic there, so that helps as well!

I can see khaki pants and polos for boys for formal nights - asking my sons to wear ties on vacation is a bit much (they are 8 & 11). We dress for church - in khakis and polos (dress for me). They wear ties three days a week for school, I think they deserve a break. Disney didn't have a dress policy and people always looked nice, I thought.

I plan to have the boys wear khakis on the flight down (we're in New England) and change into shorts at the airport. They'll also pack a second pair just in case. No jeans - too hot and still not dressy, so what's the point? Plus flying in jeans is uncomfortable. It seems silly to pack dress shoes - sandals, dress shoes, and sneakers for one week? - but we probably will. If they're going to the kids' club after dinner, I will let them wear khaki shorts like they do for "relaxed" uniform at school.

As for me, sundresses on casual nights, cocktail dresses for formal nights. DH will be in a shirt, no tie, blazer and khakis for formal, casual button shirt and khakis for casual.

I hope it works out. If not, we'll eat elsewhere. I'm really bringing my dressier clothes for the adult-only dinners DH and I are planning ;-) Date night! With dancing too!

I find it pointless to judge others' clothing choices. Some people look snazzy in casual clothes, and others look like slobs in dress clothes. What they really should do is have a dressy restaurant, rather than the MDR on a particular night. Make it adults only, and those who wish to have a more elegant experience can do so. Disney does this with Palo, and it's lovely. Of course the food and the service are fantastic there, so that helps as well!

While I understand not wanting to have your kids where ties (mine wore long sleeve button downs and black chinos to formal night - no ties also!), I found that since there was a sign at the entrance of the dining room that said 'no short pants', that when it came to choosing what my kids would wear each night that I wasn't ready to explain to them why it was okay for them to do it as they entered and read the sign. I'm not saying I have a problem seeing people in shorts (although I didn't on my navigator cruise likely not warm enough) - just that I had a problem setting that precedent for my family to deliberately disrespect the signage. So, if you end up in the same parental choice moment that I was in, having those khakis with you would be good incase you feel the need to use them.

As for jeans vs khakis - we had both because our son prefers jeans for travel/everyday wear over khakis, but one reason for jeans is that they tend to hide stains better and handle being reworn multiple times little better than other pants.

Happy Travels!!!

Agree that this is not a "revelation", but it does go to prove that the only party that really matters (RCL) doesn't care what anyone wears, they just want you to show up and enjoy yourself.

The endless finger-pointing and snide comments by the formal-night Elite should now finally be put to rest, hopefully... :rolleyes:

...Don't hold your breath !!! ;)