Rise in Tips ?

Josy1953

No not everyone get's it and they don't all get the same amount.

They also get very little by way of base pay and most of it comes from these tips [better called a service charge IMHO].

Basically it only goes to service staff, ie stewards, waiters etc. Some say that these people then "tip on" to those we don't see such as say laundry staff, I don't KNOW if that is true or not.

Hi, I think they share all the tips to make sure everyone who you don't see get rewarded as opposed to your cabin boy who would be your first choice as you see him every day. To me it's hard to see where the rising costs of tips come about when its voluntary anyway or should it be p&o who reward their staff for all the excellent work they do? Would be interesting to know what percentage of their salary is made up by the generosity of us. Just back from our second cruise on the azura and the staff were excellent

Bob

Hi, I think they share all the tips to make sure everyone who you don't see get rewarded as opposed to your cabin boy who would be your first choice as you see him every day. To me it's hard to see where the rising costs of tips come about when its voluntary anyway or should it be p&o who reward their staff for all the excellent work they do? Would be interesting to know what percentage of their salary is made up by the generosity of us. Just back from our second cruise on the azura and the staff were excellent

Bob

Not sure about in the UK but in many places tips are over 90% of the total salary.

Also, assuming, the tip money is paid to them through payroll they will be taxed on it, unlike gratuities paid directly to staff in the traditional way of cash...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it's probably not the UK or Aus Or even USA tax system

I am starting to wish I never noticed this tips rise on CP because when I looked at the above link I noticed :

The gratuity charge applied to all bar services is shared between bar personnel in recognition of their services

I can't remember having a gratuity charge on drinks from the bar in the past on P&O so does this mean that it has now been introduced or is about to be introduced ? or have I conveniently forgotten the bar tips because I usually let my husband use his card for all of our drinks ?

As I understand it, bar and wine waiters receive a commission (or gratuity if you like) as a percentage of the value of the drinks they serve. This is included in the price of the drinks advertised on the bar menus and is not an extra added on.

Brian

Fred's service is excellent - I agree. Why would you tip £10 for a meal for two unless the bill was £100? I tip 10% or just over if it isn't a round number.

I think this increase is rather a lot. I may well remove and tip personally as we did about a year ago.

Our son lives in New York and they tip 18%-22% there in restaurants, probably explains why the American Cruiselines tips are so high - expected out there

As I understand it, bar and wine waiters receive a commission (or gratuity if you like) as a percentage of the value of the drinks they serve. This is included in the price of the drinks advertised on the bar menus and is not an extra added on.

Brian

As I understand it it is about 12%. Each bar pools its commission and they are shared out. Waiters rotate between bars so they all get a fare chance in a busy bar.

ps - this may be the reason the coffee bar staff are so miserable, low value sales and little commission.

I just don't see the need for these additional charges. As they only amount, shortly, to five pounds per why don't they just increase the price of the cruise and pay their staff properly ? A fourteen night cruise would mean a 70 pound per person increase in the cost of the cruise. Would anyone not book a 14 night cruise because the price is 70 pound extra ?

We've just booked a 14 night cruise on Brittania and got £70 each obc which has now been taken back! I don't begrudge the staff the money as they work hard, just seems a strange way of doing things but we live in a strange world and there are more important things to worry about, I'm happy that I have the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks on a new ship in a lovely part of the planet.

I always pay the gratuity and on some cruise lines its quite steep, but as I know before I book what it is, that's my choice. BUT a 25% increase isn't reasonable and how many of you who are saying £5 is still cheap would happily pay a 25% increase when you purchase something.

I just don't see the need for these additional charges. As they only amount, shortly, to five pounds per why don't they just increase the price of the cruise and pay their staff properly ? A fourteen night cruise would mean a 70 pound per person increase in the cost of the cruise. Would anyone not book a 14 night cruise because the price is 70 pound extra ?

Yes, that is what their marketing people will tell them. The headline price has to be as low as possible.

Well when I booked it was £3.95, p&o haven't sent me any email or postal mail informing me of a 25% rise so after thinking about it overnight what I think il do is simply take 3 days worth of tips off (£30) takes me down to the level i expected to pay when I booked. Of course if my steward provides excellent service then il give them an envelope.

I agree with other people though that the tips should be added to the cost (included) when you book. That way you do indeed pay the price you expected - no nasty increases like they've suprised us with.

It's a shame this wasn't discovered before the q&a on Wednesday

Being British, I don't mind tipping, but I don't like the idea that it's my role to make up for a shortfall of wages. I too would rather they charge a little extra for the cruise and say "gratuities included". If they did that, I may still give a cash tip for exemplary service.

It just seems weird that food is all inclusive, but the staff's wages aren't, which is effectively what is happening. As it is, I will be paying the £3.95/day but am less likely to give further cash tips. I will reserve judgement on the increase until I have actually experienced the service first hand.

Also, assuming, the tip money is paid to them through payroll they will be taxed on it, unlike gratuities paid directly to staff in the traditional way of cash...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To which tax authority, Bermuda?

David.

There is a rumour that P&O will publish the details of people who request removal of the auto tip in the daily Horizon!!!!!!!!!!;):rolleyes:

Then the stiffers will get round this by the removal of gratutities at 23.00 hours on the final evening.:eek:

Where there is no will there is a way;)

Being British, I don't mind tipping, but I don't like the idea that it's my role to make up for a shortfall of wages.

Well you are doing that and also for the shortfall of those who don't pat at all.

David.

There is a rumour that P&O will publish the details of people who request removal of the auto tip in the daily Horizon!!!!!!!!!!;):rolleyes:

No the captain make an announcement over the PA with names and room numbers[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

What a good idea, pity it's a rumour.

Then the stiffers will get round this by the removal of gratutities at 23.00 hours on the final evening.:eek:

Where there is no will there is a way;)

"Stiffers"

I tried to find the meaning of the word in the dictionary. I presumed you were American but I know I am wrong as your address says different. Why are you using this word? I know what you are meaning by it but if I am right it is not a nice thing to call people.

I have always thought the P&O service charge is tolerable compared to the US ships, and Cunard, and I don`t remove it. I was tempted on our last cruise, purely because of the terrible service from one wine waiter, only one, and the total disregard to our complaint by the reception staff, but felt it would not be fair to the other staff who were giving us good service.

Don`t be so quick to judge people when you don`t know the circumstance.