A Carnival idea RCI should take note of: Throwback Sea Day

"Throwback Sea Day: One sea day on each voyage will take you back to 1987 with retro pool games, old school dining options like Baked Alaska and the midnight buffet, a 1987 version of the Carnival Caper newsletter, and a white glove Captain’s Celebration"

Maybe the pool games will be betting on horse racing or jousting?

Looks like the crew talent show returns also.

This is an idea Royal should get on with. A lot of people with long memories miss these kind of things. Lots of fun.

OK, I will go out on a limb and say I LOVE this idea! I wasn't even cruising back then (1st trip wasn't until 1996) but I think this would be a hoot :)

Melissa

OK, I will go out on a limb and say I LOVE this idea! I wasn't even cruising back then (1st trip wasn't until 1996) but I think this would be a hoot :)

Melissa

I agree with you. My first thought when I read about this was wow, pretty cool idea! I used to sail Carnival regularly and have since moved away and criticized them as they cutback, but I have to give them props here for a really good and novel idea. Every once in a while I think about the awesome deck parties Celebrity had back in the mid-90s where everyone went, they decorated lavishly, and played fun games, and wish I could attend a party like that again!

I probably shouldn't say that I agree, but was blasted on the Carnival board because I miss some of the things that we used to have on cruises, and for disagreeing with cost-cutting measures, and the added multitude of for-fee things that have been added in the past few years. Besides being called "old" because I remember things that happened in the 20th century, and basically a real drag at parties because I don't agree with blindly giving away my hard earned money for absolutely everything at every turn. I remember actually getting value for your dollar unlike in many cases these days. Guess I should avoid the Carnival boards since I'm over 40 and apparently an "antique" to many over there.

I probably shouldn't say that I agree, but was blasted on the Carnival board because I miss some of the things that we used to have on cruises, and for disagreeing with cost-cutting measures, and the added multitude of for-fee things that have been added in the past few years.

. . .

Guess I should avoid the Carnival boards since I'm over 40 and apparently an "antique" to many over there.

I'm not 40 and rarely go near the Carnival Boards anymore... too much hostility / aggressive cheerleading. I did pop in every now and then to follow the Vista build, but wasn't impressed when I realized how crowded it will be. That said, I give Carnival serious props for both the throwback days AND for the whole Carnival Journeys concept of offering some unique longer sailings. I think both be a winner for them.

I'm not 40 and rarely go near the Carnival Boards anymore... too much hostility / aggressive cheerleading. I did pop in every now and then to follow the Vista build, but wasn't impressed when I realized how crowded it will be. That said, I give Carnival serious props for both the throwback days AND for the whole Carnival Journeys concept of offering some unique longer sailings. I think both be a winner for them.

Thanks. Kind of what I thought. Seems there was one or two people who feel the same way. I basically stated that I don't agree with the cost cutting measures, and the need to add so many add on revenue options. Most people had the same response about "while they've taken some trivial things away, they've done SO much more to enhance the experience by adding buffets, an IMAX theater on the Vista, as well as the new SkyRider thing. While I do think that the cruise lines have made some improvements overall, I'm not impressed with making these ships floating amusement parks. I think it's great to add some things and offer a variety of options, but completely changing the entire experience isn't thrilling to me. I was also met with the smart a response of "when I was your age, I had to walk two miles in the snow to the gangplank," and then yet another about "while some of you enjoyed your silent films on deck, we want the IMAX experience." Basically alluding to me being an old geezer because I don't have this need to be entertained 24/7. I did reply that the person who posted that was likely driven to he gangplank after the stop at Starbucks.

I've enjoyed several cruises on Carnival, but am contemplating not ever going back to them if that is the type of cruiser they are trying to attract. My main issue was the complacency with which people have no qualms whatsoever about spending thief money on---seems like some people are so used to paying a la carte for everything, that its second nature and no big deal to spend more cash on this and that, particularly on things that have been included at no extra cost, and that freely spending more and more to feed the corporate greed is just normal business, with seemingly no regard to value. Maybe I just am an old geezer in my early 40's and need to move on to HAL

Thanks. Kind of what I thought. Seems there was one or two people who feel the same way. I basically stated that I don't agree with the cost cutting measures, and the need to add so many add on revenue options. Most people had the same response about "while they've taken some trivial things away, they've done SO much more to enhance the experience by adding buffets, an IMAX theater on the Vista, as well as the new SkyRider thing. While I do think that the cruise lines have made some improvements overall, I'm not impressed with making these ships floating amusement parks. I think it's great to add some things and offer a variety of options, but completely changing the entire experience isn't thrilling to me. I was also met with the smart a response of "when I was your age, I had to walk two miles in the snow to the gangplank," and then yet another about "while some of you enjoyed your silent films on deck, we want the IMAX experience." Basically alluding to me being an old geezer because I don't have this need to be entertained 24/7. I did reply that the person who posted that was likely driven to he gangplank after the stop at Starbucks.

I've enjoyed several cruises on Carnival, but am contemplating not ever going back to them if that is the type of cruiser they are trying to attract. My main issue was the complacency with which people have no qualms whatsoever about spending thief money on---seems like some people are so used to paying a la carte for everything, that its second nature and no big deal to spend more cash on this and that, particularly on things that have been included at no extra cost, and that freely spending more and more to feed the corporate greed is just normal business, with seemingly no regard to value. Maybe I just am an old geezer in my early 40's and need to move on to HAL

I agree with you. Many people see spending money left and right ad a badge of honor. Make something free or cheap or available to everyone and it loses its cachet and appeal. some people aren't happy having what you have, they would rather spend more to feel like they got something more, even if they didn't. It perpetuates the coin operated stimulus of modern cruising compared to the more inclusive nature of years past.

I agree with you. Many people see spending money left and right ad a badge of honor. Make something free or cheap or available to everyone and it loses its cachet and appeal. some people aren't happy having what you have, they would rather spend more to feel like they got something more, even if they didn't. It perpetuates the coin operated stimulus of modern cruising compared to the more inclusive nature of years past.

Well the funny thing was, was that many people were saying how cheap cruising is today and that prices haven't gone up in X number of years. Well what they don't seem to get is that in order to get a SIMILAR experience today, they are spending considerably more--it's just that their money is being taken from different sources. Many of these people were so fixated on the cabin cost, and nothing else. I remember the days where you would actually get an excellent meal in the dining room. Now to get the same caliber/quality, it necessitates visiting an alternative dining venue, taking more money out of your pocket. One poster justified that for the $30 per person they were charged, they couldn't visit an equal restaurant on land. OK, I agree with not getting a very good steak dinner for 2 for $60 at too many places. But when I remember them that various food costs were already included in their fare that they were ignoring, they wanted to hear none of it and that I should just mind my own business and that's how the economy is anymore.

I agree with you that some people don't feel good unless they're spending money. Cruising used to be a relatively inclusive vacation, with the exception of drinks and gambling. It's just sad that we have become so used to be nickel and dimed for everything that it simply doesn't matter or register with some people. I have no problem with change and think that options are a great thing. What I fear is happening is that cruising as we once knew it is becoming less of an enjoyable vacation away from everything to simply become a herd of cash cows for the cruise line. We're the suckers paying the price through reduced service and amenities, while they laugh all the way to the bank as we are nothing more than a simple commodity to them. I mentioned the old analogy of slowly boiling the frog to death in the pot of water, and many of these people were simply clueless as to what I meant. Oh well....guess it's time for my Geritol and Metamucil/prune juice smoothie. Thanks for listening.

Well the funny thing was, was that many people were saying how cheap cruising is today and that prices haven't gone up in X number of years. Well what they don't seem to get is that in order to get a SIMILAR experience today, they are spending considerably more--it's just that their money is being taken from different sources. Many of these people were so fixated on the cabin cost, and nothing else. I remember the days where you would actually get an excellent meal in the dining room. Now to get the same caliber/quality, it necessitates visiting an alternative dining venue, taking more money out of your pocket. One poster justified that for the $30 per person they were charged, they couldn't visit an equal restaurant on land. OK, I agree with not getting a very good steak dinner for 2 for $60 at too many places. But when I remember them that various food costs were already included in their fare that they were ignoring, they wanted to hear none of it and that I should just mind my own business and that's how the economy is anymore.

I agree with you that some people don't feel good unless they're spending money. Cruising used to be a relatively inclusive vacation, with the exception of drinks and gambling. It's just sad that we have become so used to be nickel and dimed for everything that it simply doesn't matter or register with some people. I have no problem with change and think that options are a great thing. What I fear is happening is that cruising as we once knew it is becoming less of an enjoyable vacation away from everything to simply become a herd of cash cows for the cruise line. We're the suckers paying the price through reduced service and amenities, while they laugh all the way to the bank as we are nothing more than a simple commodity to them. I mentioned the old analogy of slowly boiling the frog to death in the pot of water, and many of these people were simply clueless as to what I meant. Oh well....guess it's time for my Geritol and Metamucil/prune juice smoothie. Thanks for listening.

[emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji568]

Anyone (besides me) remember the days when they threw assorted fruit into the pool and the person who was able to stuff the most into their swimsuit was the winner???

Hilarious.

"Fruit in the Suit"...we were contestants on our very first cruise on the Empress. That experience so scared my wife that she hasn't even looked at a pineapple since.:D

is here alive and well...you are just not on the receiving end...and there is plenty of pom pom waving over here

You'll get hostility and pom poms on any board but Carnival boards exceed all cruise boards on the hostility meter. It can get real personal over there. :eek:

Edited by Big_G

"Throwback Sea Day: One sea day on each voyage will take you back to 1987 with retro pool games, old school dining options like Baked Alaska and the midnight buffet, a 1987 version of the Carnival Caper newsletter, and a white glove Captain’s Celebration"

This is an idea Royal should get on with. A lot of people with long memories miss these kind of things. Lots of fun.

No thanks I hate everything about old days of cruising. Still waiting for royal to remove the classic option and go full dynamic

You'll get hostility and pom poms on any board but Carnival boards exceed all cruise boards on the hostility meter. It can get real personal over there. :eek:

Actually, the "Throwback" idea sounds like fun. RCI could just put its own slight spin on the activities.

Agree with both comments. I've criticized RCI plenty in the past year for things I think they've done poorly, and haven't been attacked nearly as savagely as I have in the past on the Carnival board. I make an effort to keep my criticism fair and measured, and have no problem going toe to toe with any lines' Pom Pom wavers. They're everywhere, but definitely less personal on the RCI board IMHO.

Re: the other comment, I think it would be fun to see an RCI throwback. I was not sailing RCI back then, so it would be cool to see!

Edited by Dave85

I Hated 1987. why would I want to relive it?!

nothing you list here would remotely interest me, no matter what line I was sailing on.

I Hated 1987. why would I want to relive it?!

nothing you list here would remotely interest me, no matter what line I was sailing on.

Okay...well, I hope you can move past that torment (?)

It was the actions that went with those verses that were so funny:p

On a New Year's Eve cruise on Navigator of the Seas only a few years ago, the CD, Dan Whitney revived several of the old chestnuts including "If I were not upon the Sea". Not sure if he still does it, but it was great fun and enjoyed by both old veteran cruisers and newbies as well.:)

Look at all the new big ships. They all offer something new and improved that you have to do what? Spend money for, unlike the cruises of old. This is a big business designed to generate money. Look at the threads from posters complaining about ,making reservations for dinners and shows and specialty items, or how can i pay for it with OBC and the likes. It is now becoming worse than a land vacation. The cruise is now becoming a big get in line and wait event. It is so much better when cruising was simpler.

I know full and well that their business plan is to maximize profits. My concern is that this is the new norm, yet so many people are simply so accepting to just simply hand over their wallets. The cruise product today is not what it was 20 years ago, and I'm not referring to insignificant items like pillow chocolates, pens, paper. The trend of taking these types of things away is simply indicative that the product, as a whole, is declining. I was also joking on another thread that I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival got rid of the buffets and MDR, and simply had a cafeteria style room full of extra cost vending machines. Of course, I was joking, yet not a single person complained or disagreed. It's really sad if an idea like that would actually be acceptable to some.

There was horse racing on the Radiance when we went to Alaska in 2013. They did it in the centrum. I am not sure if this is what you are referring to. It was kinda fun to watch for a while

Most likely, yes

I was also joking on another thread that I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival got rid of the buffets and MDR, and simply had a cafeteria style room full of extra cost vending machines. Of course, I was joking, yet not a single person complained or disagreed. It's really sad if an idea like that would actually be acceptable to some.

Let's face it, some here would be pleased as punch if the ships never even left the pier! :eek:

Edited by sanmarcosman

Let's face it, some here would be pleased as punch if the ships never even left the pier! :eek:

I actually think some people would be pleased if the ship just went out to sea for a week without stopping at any ports. I wouldn't go quite that far, but do love sea days and booked a 12-night Anthem cruise with 6 of them for November!

You may very well be right. That said, the cruise lines would absolutely love it. No outside competition to lose dollars to.

I miss horse racing

Started cruising in 2006, so I missed it, but I hear it was on some ships then. I guess had I started cruising in 2001 when my wife wanted me to I'd be D+ now:cool:

white glove Captain’s Celebration

If this is where, like in the past, they opened all the bars on the lido deck for free drinks, then I yes, bring it on.

If this is where there are no unlimited drinks (sorry, one free glass of watered down rum punch doesn't count), they I say pass; this is not something from the past.

I remember back in '99 when CCL would have the welcome aboard rum swizzle party, the captains night with unlimited cocktails and then the repeaters party, with unlimited cocktails. Then, they took the rum swizzle party away. Then, they moved the captains night party to the the last day and put it at the bottom of the Carnival Paper. Then, they cancelled it, claimed "wasn't popular" . Of course this was disingenuous as the cocktail party on first formal night was second to the boat drill in attendance. Then repeaters party was limited to gold/plat, served only water down drinks for 45 minutes. The carny folk are so focused on defending mother carnival that they are blind to the cutbacks. These cutbacks are not intended to keep prices low;they are to increase profits. They want to sell tickets as high as possible and give as little back as possible- that's business.

It's funny how CCL devotees defend all these cutbacks, yet there is always a thread asking the best way to smuggle booze on board!

It's funny how CCL devotees defend all these cutbacks, yet there is always a thread asking the best way to smuggle booze on board!

Amen. Not to mention whether or not they have to tip the staff and how many times they have in fact gotten away with it.