Cunard - V - P&O

_kerry_

Hi. Just watched the beautiful Britannia on the news. My husband & I are seriously thinking about trying this new ship. We have been loyal to cunard for many years & love the queens. We are Americans but enjoy the British feel of the queens. Wondering how they would compare to p & O ?? I know it's a new ship . Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app ~ Kerry

Hi. Just watched the beautiful Britannia on the news. My husband & I are seriously thinking about trying this new ship. We have been loyal to cunard for many years & love the queens. We are Americans but enjoy the British feel of the queens. Wondering how they would compare to p & O ?? I know it's a new ship . Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

We have sailed on both and it really is down to what you want.

Cunard have better speakers and more classical music on their ships and in my opinion their shows are better but P&O are changing to the same company for their shows so they could become similar there.

The food is of a similar standard on P&O unless you are used to the grills on Cunard. The food on P&O is definitely aimed at the British palate. P&O have introduced freedom dining on most ships rather than being totally club dining.

The larger family friendly ships tend to attract alot of children and during school holidays they can get a bit loud particularly on Ventura, obviously we don't yet know what will happen with Britannia.

We tend to look at the itinerary and choose the ship based on that but having had a few less than enjoyable experiences on Ventura with badly behaved families (who were removed from the ship at various ports) we avoid the Ventura like the plague.

Thank you

I think Britannia will be quite a bit different to Cunards ships. Cunard ships look quite traditionally nautical with classic decor but Britannia has been designed by top hotel designers and looks to have a contemporary classy design, less nautical more hotel like.

As has been said, food on P&O is definately aimed at British palletes. And so is the entertainment (comedians particularly)..

If you like the look of Britannia have you considered Royal or Regal Princess simce they are physically the same ship but with very different decor.

Here is the atrium on Royal's version:

1f413d7885947e18324a28a329d1a55e.jpg

and here is Britannia's version:

c3e4224d7ee43dab43a28b2ecf4facdc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

Having sailed extensively on both lines I think the major difference you will notice is in the people. P&O will have 90% British on board where Cunard have an international mix. Generally too I do find P&O's largely Philippine and Goan crew friendlier than the Eastern Europeans of Cunard.

Décor on Cunard is more sophisticated, Food is IMO better on P&O (unless in Grills on Cunard). More live music on Cunard but in truth I have more fun on P&O.

It all depends on what is most important to you.

I think Britannia will be quite a bit different to Cunards ships. Cunard ships look quite traditionally nautical with classic decor but Britannia has been designed by top hotel designers and looks to have a contemporary classy design, less nautical more hotel like.

As has been said, food on P&O is definately aimed at British palletes. And so is the entertainment (comedians particularly)..

If you like the look of Britannia have you considered Royal or Regal Princess simce they are physically the same ship but with very different decor.

Here is the atrium on Royal's version:

1f413d7885947e18324a28a329d1a55e.jpg

and here is Britannia's version:

c3e4224d7ee43dab43a28b2ecf4facdc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow what a difference in the two - I much prefer Britannia's new look.

Remember, this is a big ship which will be filled with 3500 largely British passengers. Only you can decide, as an American if you would be comfortable with this.

As to anything else we have to wait for the first reports.

Watch this space.

David.

Thank you

As has been mentioned P&O doesn't have that mix of nationalities and is mainly British.

Last April, for some strange reason the school holidays for us were a week later than most of the UK and we sailed with very few families on the ship, out of peak holiday time, for the first time ever.

It definitely made a difference. I would suggest that, unless you have children, you avoid our school holiday times - as well as being quieter you will probably find that more of the passengers are older and traditional P&O cruisers.

Someone who cruises out of season may be able to verify this.

Remember, this is a big ship which will be filled with 3500 largely British passengers. Only you can decide, as an American if you would be comfortable with this.

As to anything else we have to wait for the first reports.

Watch this space.

David.

Being from the US I would see as a positive. You will have plenty of people who want to talk to you.

Thank you

Stay with Cunard, where there is distinct lack of pomposity, snobbishness, moaning and complaining. On Cunard we are never asked how much we paid. In addition, on Cunard, good manners and the unwritten cruise etiquettes are followed.

Cunard is for Gentlefolk

Thank you for the advice so far. Unfortunately I'm a teacher so my only holidays are school holidays. We tend to book a month long cruise/vacation holidays for most summers. We usually leave out of Southampton on a cruise & do a pre/post vacation from there. We have family in England & my husband prefers the British atmosphere to the American ships here. Cunard is very international & it's not always a good thing. I will watch for more info and decide. Britannia does look like a beautiful ship. I like the different itinerary so we'll see. Thanks again

P&O is generally marketed and sold in the UK giving rise to it's 90% British Passenger base.

The difficult parts as I see it will be understanding the humour of any comedians who may be appearing in the shows as most of their references will relate to British institutions.

You might not fully understand the language which will be English. However a number of words not used in America will come up, e.g. I saw the word "niggles" used on this forum a few days back which precipitated a lot of discussion into what it meant.

Accents from people who are Scottish, Welsh, and Irish as well as the Geordies, Scousers and Brummies may be totally impossible to understand. You can check these accents on you tube.

Overall you will have a great cruise and find it a total blast. Go for it.

Regards John

Stay with Cunard, where there is distinct lack of pomposity, snobbishness, moaning and complaining. On Cunard we are never asked how much we paid. In addition, on Cunard, good manners and the unwritten cruise etiquettes are followed.

Cunard is for Gentlefolk

I'd like to think that, like the vast majority of P&O cruisers ,I don't display any of the behaviours mentioned above. There is a range of personality types on all cruise lines.

Sadly, us Stoke folk are as impossible to understand as our fellow Northerners as well though ;-)

Edited by Presto2

Thank you for the advice so far. Unfortunately I'm a teacher so my only holidays are school holidays. We tend to book a month long cruise/vacation holidays for most summers. We usually leave out of Southampton on a cruise & do a pre/post vacation from there. We have family in England & my husband prefers the British atmosphere to the American ships here. Cunard is very international & it's not always a good thing. I will watch for more info and decide. Britannia does look like a beautiful ship. I like the different itinerary so we'll see. Thanks again

No worries then - you are used to children and know what to expect ;)

From what you say it sounds like you'll love Britannia. Why not give her a try and see. We may even meet up on the 25th July sailing. :D

Cunard is for Gentlefolk

really :rolleyes:

Cunard is for Gentlefolk

That is your opinion having been on one P & O cruise on Azura, which we all know you did not enjoy.

Mine is the opposite.

Having sailed several times with both lines there was just as much - or as little - moaning on Cunard as there was on P & O. The dress codes and general etiquette are followed - or not - in equal measures on both cruise lines. And in my view there is actually more pomposity and snobbishness on Cunard than there is on P & O - mainly by those who think themselves to be of a better "status" in life than they really are.

But, for the benefit of the OP, the main differences are as already mentioned - British passengers in the majority on P & O, the Cunard ships are slightly more "elegant" than P & O. But it can be seen that the decor of Britannia is designed to have a ore contemporary feel about it. I am sure you will love it !

Edited by Mysticalmother

Being from the US I would see as a positive. You will have plenty of people who want to talk to you.

Possibly, but I equate it with me taking a Carnival cruise out of Miami.

I really wouldn't like that at all.

David.

Possibly, but I equate it with me taking a Carnival cruise out of Miami.

I really wouldn't like that at all.

David.

Only going on our experience with Americans when we have been in the States. And the few we have met on P&O. BTW I would go Carnival from Miami, why not.

I'd like to think that, like the vast majority of P&O cruisers ,I don't display any of the behaviours mentioned above. There is a range of personality types on all cruise lines.

Same here - and I have never been asked how much we paid!!

Same here - and I have never been asked how much we paid!!

Neither have I. I am just waiting for some one to say how cheap they got their cruise and I would say to them "How Much" shake my head and say quietly "saw you coming" and scooter off. I was going to say walk away. But that might be difficult. :) :)

:cool:

Of course the School holidays where you teach may be different dates to here in the UK. If I was a teacher I think I woukd be considering an Adults Only ship.:)

I thought there wasn't a huge difference. Cunard fancied themselves as a bit more upmarket ; so there would be things like Bridge (for example) rather than a Disco. P&O is unashamedly British with things like the Sailaway.

Noticeable differences:

Drinks are cheaper on P&O

Photos are much more expensive on Cunard

Food quality was about the same, but the service wasn't as good or friendly. Cunard doesn't have the static menu part.

Cabins about the same.

More talks on Cunard

Seemed to be slightly more entertainment options in the evening on Cunard

P&O have the interactive TV.

I think all Cunard's Room Service food is free.

I thought there wasn't a huge difference. Cunard fancied themselves as a bit more upmarket ; so there would be things like Bridge (for example) rather than a Disco. P&O is unashamedly British with things like the Sailaway.

Noticeable differences:

Drinks are cheaper on P&O

Photos are much more expensive on Cunard

Food quality was about the same, but the service wasn't as good or friendly. Cunard doesn't have the static menu part.

Cabins about the same.

More talks on Cunard

Seemed to be slightly more entertainment options in the evening on Cunard

P&O have the interactive TV.

I think all Cunard's Room Service food is free.

Lot of bridge played on P&O, mainly Oriana, Aurora and Arcadia. Has to be a long cruise with at least 6 sea days. I have seen up to 100 people playing.