Are D+ still admitted to Concierge Lounge?

On our last few cruises, this fall and winter, we rarely went to either lounge except for specialty coffee. (And not even that for one cruise as the coffee machine in both lounges was down the entire week).

We love the vouchers and use one or two each evening, instead of the lounge. When we have stopped in to a lounge, usually just before 7:00 show, the place (CL) was empty. The DL was more crowded.

I don’t know how folks know a person's C&A status as I rarely discuss it on the ship and we don’t wear pins. I also have no idea ( nor do I care) how long a person stays in the lounge. If one wants to hang out on one place for 3 hours, that is their choice.

We have really enjoyed the vouchers as we've met some wonderful folks in the bars around ship. And if they are newer cruisers, they are so excited and positive about their cruise experience. Many are seasoned travelers.

M

I love going to the diamond lounge to meet other people and talk about the sailings and adventures each other has had. I do know one thing that RCCL needs to watch out how they handle the situation they are rapidly finding them selves in. They messed up with diamonds in december cruises and now have a huge amount of diamond plus and more and more people get closer each sailing. If they add tiers they would have to find perks to put in those tiers which may be hard to do since they already have such good perks. If they can't find new perks they may redistribute what each tier gets and that is where it gets tricky. Would you grandfather people in that have reach a tier into the same equivalent tear in the new design or just tell them to bad. Also with the price difference of cruises between royal and other lines people are trying to get the best bang for their buck for example if two competing ships leave the same port and do the same itinerary. If royal cuts people perks to where another line ay be over all cheaper you may see people jumping to the other line or a less expensive ship in the same company. My parents have clients who live in new york and have not even thought about going on the quantum or the anthem. they took liberties reposition and have ones planned when liberty comes back but they said they will not pay the prices royal wants for quantum and they have since done grandeur twice leaving out of baltimore and they drove past NJ to get to baltimore. I believe that royal is slowly trying to press to see how much resistance they are going to get or get us used to having benefits amended until we are used to it then make the "official" change.

I understand that the number of D+s puts pressure on RC to exclude them from the CL.

That said, shouldn't this be a policy change that comes from corporate, and not at the whim of an individual CL (as might be the case with EN)? Additionally, policy changes of this type should have a start date, and that date should be outside of the final payment deadline, to allow for any cancellations that the change might precipitate.

I was on the Brilliance in Jan. 2009 when a certain Concierge took it upon themselves to 'deny' access to Diamond members to the CL due to numbers. A well known CC member posted about it and the proverbial s##t hit the fan.

I am sure someone can find the thread. Jumping the gun does happen, the display of the new member levels at Baltimore port being a classic.

The more I read these threads, the more it feels like junior high school. The DL's appear to have become the cruise ship equivalent of the kids in the lunch room who congregate to complain or talk trash about "the others". So many snarky comments about "suite people" and "D+" and "pinnacles". From our experience, we haven't seen the dreaded crowding of the CL as described. Every once in awhile it has been full. BUT we do late seating and don't show up until well after early seating dinner. We prefer the CL for happy hour even though we can do both. Yes - we are D+ and do suites so we are able to hate ourselves and mock ourselves every cruise! :rolleyes: We've had a few amusing moments in the CL - such as the older woman who glared at us for apparently no reason a few nights. Since we were behaving appropriately but chatting happily with our server, I'm not sure what we did to get the stink eye. How dare we look like we were enjoying ourselves! :eek:

We feel more comfortable in the CL because there is always a large contingent of angry seniors loudly complaining in every DL we have entered in the last 5 years. It has started to seem if you walk in the door and look like you are under 70, you have no right to be in their "private club". It's no wonder RCCL is coming up with vouchers and the D+ days may be numbered in the CL. (That paragraph should be read as resignedly sincere, not snarky, and to my knowledge, not directed at anyone that has posted here!)

To answer an earlier request, here is the pic of the plaque, taken this morning by my sister before she disembarked:

Downgrade3.jpg.6fa5b599dc5dd6b7a877fbad5d9aa8a7.jpg

(Maybe this will stop the "IF this is true" kinds of remarks from a few posters?)

Dave, thanks for all the info on Oasis, and for your civil and polite replies.

And thanks also to Pete (Don Pedro), actuarian, Maxwell, splash, & others for your input and observations. They were very interesting and informative.

Rick, I agree; as D+, sometimes in a suite and sometimes not, I do enjoy visiting with different friends in both lounges. Could be those days are drawing to a close, but as Carol observes, "there is little point in speculating."

However, it was interesting to find out that so far, this seems to be happening only on EN and Oasis, which was the gist of my original question.

Asked and answered! Thanks, everybody.

We will finally be Diamond Plus in June and are planning to start trying other cruise lines. The loyalty perks are being diminished so we are going to try Celebrity for Alaska next summer to see what how there loyalty perks compare. We want to try Princess as well even though no loyalty perks. Tired of the same itineraries and I one of the few not excited about Oasis coming to PC. If I have to drive to Fort Lauderdale it opens a lot more cruise lines for me.

To answer an earlier request, here is the pic of the plaque, taken this morning by my sister before she disembarked:

[ATTACH]342709[/ATTACH]

(Maybe this will stop the "IF this is true" kinds of remarks from a few posters?)

Thanks for the visual confirmation!

Two issues here. The first, a change in policy excluding D+ from the CL. That facet has been debated endlessly. If it happens it happens.

Second, and the one that gets me hopping, RC is listing benefits on its website that they don't deliver. A website can be updated at any time, and if the D+ thing is new policy, then it is deceptive to not reflect this in their online material.

The other possibility is that the hotel director or Conceirge on EN has taken it upon himself to modify RC policy, a power that I don't think should be available at that level.

As an analogy, you see that a bank is selling CDs at 4%, so you invest, but when you paperwork arrives you are only getting 3% - seems the manager of your local branch thought the interest was too high, so they lowered it. Would you stand for that? When I see a perk published on the RC website, I expect to get it.

I was on the Brilliance in Jan. 2009 when a certain Concierge took it upon themselves to 'deny' access to Diamond members to the CL due to numbers. A well known CC member posted about it and the proverbial s##t hit the fan.

I am sure someone can find the thread.

Hi Heather - I think this is the thread you refer to

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=912088&highlight=brilliance+no+diamond+in+concierge+lounge

We were on that sailing but did manage to receive dispensation from the Concierge in question presumably because of my charm ;)

Let the flaming and snarky remarks begin...but here is my humble opinion.

If I am a first time cruiser with no status, not even lowly gold, and I pay $1600 per person for a grand suite, I want suite perks including the CL.

There are D+ staying in a low level inside cabin for $399 per person and they want the same CL perk? I don't think it makes dollar and cents, sense...to RCI. You pay the big bucks per cruise, you get the perks.

After all they do have the DL. Is that not good enough?

[ATTACH]342709[/ATTACH]

And thanks also to Pete (Don Pedro), actuarian, Maxwell, splash, & others for your input and observations. They were very interesting and informative.

Rick, I agree; as D+, sometimes in a suite and sometimes not, I do enjoy visiting with different friends in both lounges. Could be those days are drawing to a close, but as Carol observes, "there is little point in speculating."

However, it was interesting to find out that so far, this seems to be happening only on EN and Oasis, which was the gist of my original question.

I never doubted your story, we all know this is coming. Look at this thread about the upcoming suite upgrades. Wouldn't surprise me if one of the announcements is an exclusive lounge for suite guests and Pinnacles.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2178736

If I am a first time cruiser with no status, not even lowly gold, and I pay $1600 per person for a grand suite, I want suite perks including the CL.

There are D+ staying in a low level inside cabin for $399 per person and they want the same CL perk? I don't think it makes dollar and cents, sense...to RCI. You pay the big bucks per cruise, you get the perks.

No flames here. We have been fortunate enough to enjoy the suite life in RCCL, Celebrity, Disney and NCL and as a D+ I'm not happy to say that Royal offers the worst suite perks among those lines.

On our last AOS cruise we were not wowed by the suite experience and enjoyed going to the Diamond lounge more than the CL. I'm happy with the DL, the perks we receive as D+ and the reciprocity with Celebrity's Captains Club. IMHO Royal needs to improve their suite experience like Celebrity is doing. Even as loyal RCCL cruisers we are having a hard time justifying spending our money with them. We are looking forward to experience the new suite life in Celebrity this summer and going back to the Oasis on a CLSuite this winter. :)

Edited by drarill

I called the crown & anchor D+ desk the other day to clarify this after reading various reports of denied access and was told the following.

Concierge lounge is a privilege that D+ members are entitled to and there is no intention, at least at this time, to change it.

The individual ships and concierge's are not allowed to enact their own policy in regards to this or any C&A benefits. If any guest encounters this and it cannot be resolved with the concierge, they should go to guest relations. If not resolved by guest relations, ask them to contact C&A.

Suite lounges are being implemented to help eliviate some of the animosity, that sometimes occurs between repeat passengers and suite guests, which are open to all gold card passengers.

The fact remains that there are too many Diamond+ over-crowding a lounge designed to accomidate the "suites".

What other solution does RCCL have?

your wrong on your "assumption". Sailed B2B the last two weeks on Serenade and had a total 11 and 9 pinnacles, and 29 and 27 D+ on the ship, hardly "too many" as you "factually" report....:rolleyes:

Bingo. on my last NAV cruise, it was ridiculous how over crowded it was and it was 95% D+ who wasted no time telling you they were D+( as in everyone was wearing their D+pins all day and all night)

Cocktail hour started at 430. if you were not in the Lounge by 415, you didn't get a seat. and unlike most other cruises, these people did not sit and have a drink, maybe two, then off to dinner or a show. they hung out for the entire evening. and more standoffish bunch I never saw in my life. we were obviously not D+( hell we made just Emerald at the end of it) and unlike any other Royal cruise we have taken, no one ever invited us to sit with them even if they had room at their table. Funny how those same people had NO problem inviting themselves to sit at OURS though....

a few of them even stated they come up to the CL b/c the D lounge was even more crowded. I thought the whole voucher thing was supposed to ELIMINATE the crowding issues?!

I have said it before and I will continue to say it, even as I inch my way closer to D in my own right:

kick Ds out of the lounge altogether. leave it for D+. the Ds can keep their vouchers( and I would not be opposed to either a dedicated line at Guest services or a expediter of their very own at a desk somewhere..the Loyalty desk always seemed to be empty when we passed by) D+ get the D lounge to themselves and the CL gets renamed the Suite lounge across the Fleet and limited to suites and Pinnacles.

as for hours, they were always listed as being in the DL the same amount as the Concierge 830-11 am; 430-8 pm.

Just read your rant, I mean post and all I can say is ....uh ok.....:rolleyes::confused:

The more I read these threads, the more it feels like junior high school. The DL's appear to have become the cruise ship equivalent of the kids in the lunch room who congregate to complain or talk trash about "the others". So many snarky comments about "suite people" and "D+" and "pinnacles". From our experience, we haven't seen the dreaded crowding of the CL as described. Every once in awhile it has been full. BUT we do late seating and don't show up until well after early seating dinner. We prefer the CL for happy hour even though we can do both. Yes - we are D+ and do suites so we are able to hate ourselves and mock ourselves every cruise! :rolleyes: We've had a few amusing moments in the CL - such as the older woman who glared at us for apparently no reason a few nights. Since we were behaving appropriately but chatting happily with our server, I'm not sure what we did to get the stink eye. How dare we look like we were enjoying ourselves! :eek:

We feel more comfortable in the CL because there is always a large contingent of angry seniors loudly complaining in every DL we have entered in the last 5 years. It has started to seem if you walk in the door and look like you are under 70, you have no right to be in their "private club". It's no wonder RCCL is coming up with vouchers and the D+ days may be numbered in the CL. (That paragraph should be read as resignedly sincere, not snarky, and to my knowledge, not directed at anyone that has posted here!)

Have been frequenting the CL for some years now and can honestly call BS on your post. Am a very young 56 and have I ever heard of anyone let alone as you claim seniors complaining in the CL. ...Yes...I also can say it's very rare in my experience. Have I ever been greeted with anything less than cordial by any "senior" as you claim in the CL......never...Maybe the stink eye is in your mind or are you feeling guilty about something???:D:D

As D+, we've produced over $100,000 in revenue for Royal Caribbean. Do I think that "entitles" me to special place to sit for a while each evening and drink from a complimentary bottle of $5 wine. Why, yes, I do.

I have said it before and I will continue to say it, even as I inch my way closer to D in my own right:

kick Ds out of the lounge altogether. leave it for D+. the Ds can keep their vouchers( and I would not be opposed to either a dedicated line at Guest services or a expediter of their very own at a desk somewhere..the Loyalty desk always seemed to be empty when we passed by) D+ get the D lounge to themselves and the CL gets renamed the Suite lounge across the Fleet and limited to suites and Pinnacles.

I agree, except that the P's get to go wherever they want, because, well, because they're P's!!! :D

your wrong on your "assumption". Sailed B2B the last two weeks on Serenade and had a total 11 and 9 pinnacles, and 29 and 27 D+ on the ship, hardly "too many" as you "factually" report....:rolleyes:

WE were told that there were 7 Pinnacles and 17 D+ on Serenade last week. The CL was far from crowded.

In the big picture, the high tier C&A member's over time are a lot more valuable to RCI then someone doing a one time cruise in a suite. As was mentioned, the most loyal members total 'contribution' to the corporate coffer's is much greater.

So it is just good business to reward your most loyal repeat customer's with 'perks' that really don't cost that much, but do make the repeater feel appreciated.

As for the controversy with new restrictions....well, as you said, the DL lounge should be 'good enough', but....once any kind of perk is given, it is only human nature for resentment, if it is then 'taken away'...

So from what I read in this thread, to solve the problem long-term, ships will give the perks, both DL and CL as in the past, but have a new venue that is strictly for suite guests....

As D+, we've produced over $100,000 in revenue for Royal Caribbean. Do I think that "entitles" me to special place to sit for a while each evening and drink from a complimentary bottle of $5 wine. Why, yes, I do.

You do have a special place......the D and D+ lounge........and as a lot of business see it "what have you done for me lately?".....not the "$100,000" you spent in the past......

My sister, who is D+, is currently sailing on Enchantment.

She just emailed me this: "Friday when we went up to the Concierge Lounge at five there was a plaque saying that it was for Suite and Pinnacle only, and that D+ was now only allowed to use the Diamond Lounge (which they are now referring to as the 'Diamond Concierge Lounge' "

We just got off the Enchantment this morning and yes, there is a new policy ... we were the second cruise. The CL is now for Suite and Pinnacles only, saw the sign with my own eyes and I verified it with Carlington.

Wondering if... the Enchantment sailing the OP's sister is on is so full of D+ that the TWO concierges got together and made a decession that would be best accomidate the majority of passengers by requesting the D+ use the just the Daimond Lounge?

No, there were only 67 total (Pinnacles, Diamond Plus & Diamond)

The DL was very empty, every night ...

[ATTACH]342709[/ATTACH]

I almost went up this morning to take a picture :0))

[ATTACH]342709[/ATTACH]

Interesting about EN, and odd that they'd arbitrarily change it on just one ship. Each time we've been on EN the CL was sparsely populated, especially after first seating dinner took up. They usually do an overflow section downstairs in the VCL which helps with that. No big deal I guess, the DL has all the same stuff.

Well it obviously differs by ship as my experience is that the DL concierges have been far more personable and kept exactly the same hours as the CL concierge. We sailed twice on Adventure in 2014 and on each occasion the DL concierge was far superior to the CL concierge IMHO. On one sailing we were in a suite, but the CL was rubbish as far as I'm concerned and on the 2nd calling the CL concierge didn't even give us the time of day when in the CL.

On both of our cruises last year the CL was the only person available during morning breakfast hours in the lounges. So it does not appear that is fleet wide. Two completely different ships out of two different departure ports.

I get in theory that both DL and CL technically offer the same thing in that they both have coffee machines, breakfast, evening drinks, concierges etc. however there is one BIG difference between them. DL is supposed to be adults only, children are allowed in CL. Our DD is 13 and D+ in her own right. If she wants a drink with us we can take her to CL but not DL.

I know some DL's now let children in, but even when she has only been in to get a morning bagel when she is allowed in DL, the number of noses turned up is unbelievable. The CL's are much friendlier to the younger travelers.