Just off Reflection

Miss SeaBee

We had a fabulous cruise, my favorite so far! Reflection is better than ever. I'll do a full review soon, but here are some quick impressions:

Cabin: Aqua Suite 2109, forward, port side, right beside the entrance to the Aqua Spa on deck 14. Lovely cabin, nice location, especially if you're a spa-fly like me! Generally quiet. Aqua suites are being eliminated, so this would be a very nice Sky suite. Love the jetted tub and multiple shower spray heads. I would not miss the Aqua perks. Tried it mainly for Blu, not a good fit for me. With the new suite perks, I will only book Sky suite or above from now on.

Spa: Elemis is out, Canyon Ranch Spas is now the operator. I didn't notice a difference in price or quality of spa treatments that I had. I think I prefer the Elemis products. Otherwise, not very different. We had treatments with 3 different massage therapists, and I highly recommend Nicky. BTW, if you had a favorite staff member from previous cruises with Elemis, Canyon Ranch replaced them all with new staff. Persian Gardens was lovely and peaceful, most of the time. During peek times on sea days, people could get a little nasty about heated loungers, so take your towel with you when you go into the sauna for 5 minutes. Just because there are 6 empty loungers when you go in doesn't mean anything. Apparently, they can fill up that fast! People made some pretty ugly comments about me while I was in sauna for less than 10 minutes, my husband got up and gave his lounger to a waiting pax and moved my towel, which I certainly would have done. It was embarrassing to me to hear how mean people were, and I didn't go back to PG after that. Left it for the ladies who lie in there all day long and read.

Food: Even though Luminae is now open for suites, as an Aqua Suite, our assigned dining room was Blu. The first night, we ate in Murano, 2 for one offered as we were on our way into Blu. I love Murano, so couldn't resist. Food and service was top notch, as expected.

The next night, we dined in Blu. It was first formal night. I have always participated in formal nights in the past, but this was my husband's first cruise, and he does not do formal, one of the reasons we decided to try Blu. Celebrity website and cruise critic have reported Blu as smart casual dress code every night, as all specialty restaurants. We arrived to find that we were the only Blu patrons not in formal. That was the first little clue that this wasn't going to be a great experience for us. We were seated immediately at 7:00 pm, no waiting. However, the restaurant was full, and it is very crowded when full! The tables were jammed into the small restaurant, making it hot, stuffy, loud, and not relaxing at all. Our waiter must have been overloaded with tables, because he was clearly not enjoying his job. Service from him was surly, condescending and rude. Luckily, our assistant waiter was a delight, and he tried to make up for the attitude of the waiter. The couple at the table next to us gently chastised us for being in smart casual, she said, "havent you cruised before? The whole ship is formal tonight." I didn't answer or argue. Whatever.

My husband had the lamb, and I ordered crab risotto. The lamb was very mediocre. Not bad, but not really good, either. Lamb elsewhere later in the week was much better. My risotto was the worst food I have ever had on a cruise, including in the buffet. The risotto was over-cooked into a glutinous mass the texture of oatmeal. There was no discernible crab meat in it, but it tasted a bit like canned tuna. We ordered Perrier(we are noth non-drinkers), but they didn't have it, nor did they offer to get it, so we settled for Pelligrino. The bad food, bad service and stares from formally dressed diners influenced our decision to switch our dining to Luminae.

Luminae was divine!!! They are currently still serving the same menu as the main dining room. The new menu goes into effect in April. Everything was delicious. Service is amazing. Most nights, at 7:00, there were only 4 or 5 other tables. The busiest, Friday night, was maybe 8 tables. No problem with table for 2. One night, the hostess apologized because she couldn't seat us at a window seat! We hadn't asked, she just likes to out you by a window if she can. Service is friendly, very attentive, and quick. The restaurant is gorgeous, and I'll post photos soon! Also, we noticed that the clientele didn't seem to be trying so hard with dress. Truly smart casual, we were very comfortable here. Can't wait to try the new menu from the the dedicated kitchen! Just to be on the safe side and not to offend anyone, we ate in the buffet the second formal night, although I'm sure Luminae would not have treated us like Blu did for not wearing a prom dress and tux to dinner! I had never done dinner in the buffet, so it was kind of fun to try everything without the lunch crowd. It was one of my favorite cruise days - at sea, no schedule, low key. Would do again on a formal night!

Public areas: my hangout is the Solarium pool. It was never very crowded, even on sea days, and pool butlers were doing a great job keeping unused loungers cleared. I did not venture to the main pool area. We skipped the shows this year. Many are the same ones they had on my last cruise 2 years ago, and they were bad then! I don't stay up late, anyway, so I didn't care. Spent evenings walking around, reading or on my balcony. We don't drink, but bars provided quick, friendly service even with the beverage package and even at the pool bar on sea days.

Embarkation/debarkation: non-issue. Fast, minimal waiting. I highly recommend the Luggage Valet program. It is under-advertised, but a fabulous deal that makes debarkation and customs a breeze.

More details and photos soon!

Thank you for your positive review. Sorry the food in Blu disappointed you. We find it quite good. Maybe it was an off night?

AFAIK, Blu does not require formal dress on formal night. We do dress up for formal but we have seen plenty of diners in Blu dressed smart casual. That woman who asked you if that was your first cruise knew less than you did and she was out of line in IMO.

Reflection is the only S class ship we have not been on. Did you try the Lawn Club Grill?

Looking forward to your photos.

We sailed on the Reflection in 2013 and also on AQ. We experienced the same crowded conditions in Blu with the tables being so close together and jammed in. They have 5 tables in a row as opposed to 4 on the other ships. They are so close together that the waiter usually passes stuff over your shoulder to the person on the other side because they cannot walk between the tables. I think there is just enough finger space to allow the table cloths to be changed.

When other passenges hear anything about Blu being crowded on the Reflection they always seem to reply that the wait to get in was never very long so they didn't feel as if it was crowded. It is just that ship that is crowded like that, but we also experienced that further into the cruise that Blu on all ships does get noisier as people become more aquainted with the other diners and start to converse more. Then you get the occasional group that always has that one life of the party that has to not only be seen but heard by everyone in the area.

I had the crab risotto on the Silhoutte 3 years ago and so did the person at the next table. We both found it to be exactly like discribed. We were the first diners that night so I don't think it was because of it sitting around for a period of time. We both complained about it but apparently the recipe hasn't been change and it is fleet wide.

Many of the entrees are hit and miss and there is no consistency. Sometimes the fish will be very dry, the meat tough and chewy, other times the same will be perfect. The first time I had the soft shell crab it was perfect. The next time it was very dry and over fried as if it were part of the dregs. The next time it was very greasy and had a rotten spoiled fishy taste. I now gave up and no longer order it. Found the same with the lobster, not their best dish or effort. the mock lobster from the market would be a better offering.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Edited by miched

Did you try the Lawn Club Grill?

Yes! Can't believe I forgot to mention Lawn Club Grill! We loved it. Steak quality was quite good, cooked to perfection, and it is fun! Very cool relaxed atmosphere. We will go again!

Thank for your review. i agree with you about Blu. i was not impressed with the food and cannot believe they did not serve you Perrier. We drink San Pellogrino at dinner always. Only once did they run out in the MDR and that was on the last night on a 14 day cruise.

You and others have given good reports of eating in the buffet for dinner. I have never done that. But our next cruise will be 13 days so I think we will try it one night for a relaxing total day.

We sailed on the Reflection in 2013 and also on AQ. We experienced the same crowded conditions in Blu with the tables being so close together and jammed in. They have 5 tables in a row as opposed to 4 on the other ships. They are so close together that the waiter usually passes stuff over your shoulder to the person on the other side because they cannot walk between the tables. I think there is just enough finger space to allow the table cloths to be changed.

When other passenges hear anything about Blu being crowded on the Reflection they always seem to reply that the wait to get in was never very long so they didn't feel as if it was crowded. It is just that ship that is crowded like that, but we also experienced that further into the cruise that Blu on all ships does get noisier as people become more aquainted with the other diners and start to converse more. Then you get the occasional group that always has that one life of the party that has to not only be seen but heard by everyone in the area.

I had the crab risotto on the Silhoutte 3 years ago and so did the person at the next table. We both found it to be exactly like discribed. We were the first diners that night so I don't think it was because of it sitting around for a period of time. We both complained about it but apparently the recipe hasn't been change and it is fleet wide.

Many of the entrees are hit and miss and there is no consistency. Sometimes the fish will be very dry, the meat tough and chewy, other times the same will be perfect. The first time I had the soft shell crab it was perfect. The next time it was very dry and over fried as if it were part of the dregs. The next time it was very greasy and had a rotten spoiled fishy taste. I now gave up and no longer order it. Found the same with the lobster, not their best dish or effort. the mock lobster from the market would be a better offering.

happy cruising

We see this exactly the same! I never felt crowded anywhere on Reflection except Blu. I also think my impression wouldn't be so negative if the staff had been nicer, and I hadn't been so acutely uncomfortable with my clothes. I am a major rule-follower, so when I feel wrong in spite of good intentions and research, I feel so embarrassed. Also, as I said, I don't think the other passengers in Luminae would have made me feel so uncomfortable, but the whole atmosphere in Blu was super-uptight. That's what I love about Celebrity, though. It wasn't a good fit for us, but we had options that were perfectly our style, so we are still happy campers!

Edited by Greensuz
Typo

Thank you for your positive review. Sorry the food in Blu disappointed you. We find it quite good. Maybe it was an off night?

AFAIK, Blu does not require formal dress on formal night. We do dress up for formal but we have seen plenty of diners in Blu dressed smart casual. That woman who asked you if that was your first cruise knew less than you did and she was out of line in IMO.

Reflection is the only S class ship we have not been on. Did you try the Lawn Club Grill?

When you really come down to it, formal dress is not REQUIRED anywhere on formal night. Glad to see everyone chose to go formal. Also, not being sarcastic, why would anyone order risotto. It's just a dish full of rice! More carbs than you need for a week!

Thanks for the heads up people. If we ever book Reflection, we will avoid Blu. Better to book a verandah cabin and eat at the Specialty restaurants with the money saved.

Blu on Reflection is not the same experience as on the other ships. More crowded, rather hectic, and hit and miss food. It has improved over time but not up to our experiences on other ships.

We were on the Reflection this past November. We were with family and sat at a table for six in the rear of BLU and had a great experience every night. We had the same table every night at 7PM.

Good thing that women did not mention anything about how she felt that I should dress on formal night. I always follow the dress code at the restaurant that am eating in that night.

I would not miss that chance to tell her , well you know where this is going.

Thank you so much for the review. We will be onboard in 2 weeks...Sky Suite. :)

We see this exactly the same! I never felt crowded anywhere on Reflection except Blu. I also think my impression wouldn't be so negative if the staff had been nicer, and I hadn't been so acutely uncomfortable with my clothes. I am a major rule-follower, so when I feel wrong in spite of good intentions and research, I feel so embarrassed. Also, as I said, I don't think the other passengers in Luminae would have made me feel so uncomfortable, but the whole atmosphere in Blu was super-uptight. That's what I love about Celebrity, though. It wasn't a good fit for us, but we had options that were perfectly our style, so we are still happy campers!

I am so sorry that you had a bad experience. :(

Now you make me curious what you and your DH had on?

We have eaten in Blu many times and have not dressed formally. We do dress nicely, however. DH will wear a blazer. I will wear black slacks and a sparkly something, but not a formal gown. Haven't seen those in quite a while. :eek: Our traveling companions will wear similar (wife in a cocktail dress.) We have never felt out-of-place.

Blu on Reflection is not the same experience as on the other ships. More crowded, rather hectic, and hit and miss food. It has improved over time but not up to our experiences on other ships.

How can Blu be so different from the other S-class ships? I can understand a difference from a M-class ship. We love the M-class experience.

We were on the summit dressed smart casual on formal night and felt Very uncomfortable we also thought food went from good to very good some nights. The next formal night we dressed up but to be honest we went somewhere else. I am going on Aqua class with my girlfriend on Reflection, so I hope it improves!!! Blu ok but not great

Thank you so much for the review. We will be onboard in 2 weeks...Sky Suite. :)

I am so sorry that you had a bad experience. :(

Now you make me curious what you and your DH had on?

Dress code is "smart casual" every night. I wore black silk pants and a sleeveless silk black and gold patterned blouse. Black Gucci sandal heels. Hubby wore his vacation uniform, Hawaiian shirt with nice khaki slacks, woven leather shoes.

I wouldn't say a bad experience. Maybe a new, learning experience?

I would also like to mention that I have eaten in Murano dressed in smart casual on formal night and was not out of place. I don't know what's up with Blu, but honestly, I looked up the dress code as soon as possible after that night to be sure I hadn't misunderstood, or read it wrong on the website or something.

The bad food, bad service and stares from formally dressed diners influenced our decision to switch our dining to Luminae.

More details and photos soon!

Did you have to formally change your dining room to Luminae? We are traveling on the 28th in an Aqua suite and I was hoping to be able to choose between Blu and Luminae based on that nights menu.

Also, I probably would have told the person to read a little so she would know that the whole ship isn't formal. You're a better person than I am.

When you really come down to it, formal dress is not REQUIRED anywhere on formal night. Glad to see everyone chose to go formal. Also, not being sarcastic, why would anyone order risotto. It's just a dish full of rice! More carbs than you need for a week!

That is your opinion. To be quite frank, the last place on earth I count carbs is on a cruise! I happen to like risotto, at least if it's prepared properly. It's not my favorite, but the only thing even vaguely interesting on the menu.

Dress code is "smart casual" every night. I wore black silk pants and a sleeveless silk black and gold patterned blouse. Black Gucci sandal heels. Hubby wore his vacation uniform, Hawaiian shirt with nice khaki slacks, woven leather shoes.

I wouldn't say a bad experience. Maybe a new, learning experience?

While the woman who said that it was "formal" in Blu was totally wrong, I can see that she might not think that an Hawaiian shirt was "smart casual". I know it 'counts' as a collared shirt, but many would think that the fabric/colour mix of a shirt impacts on the concept of "smart" given the ambience of Blu.

Just my personal perception.

Stuart

Edited by Wiltonian
double negative corrected!

SNIP

How can Blu be so different from the other S-class ships? I can understand a difference from a M-class ship. We love the M-class experience.

It is so different because there are only marginally more tables, in a very similarly sized space, with MANY more cabins currently eligible / assigned to dine there.

There are all of the Aqua Suites, plus extra Aqua Cabins, PLUS more suites (Signature Suites) AND more sky suites. It makes for much more opportunity to be more crowded, especially with the extra seats horseshoed in.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

With the AQ Suites reverting to S1's and with the new Suite restaurant, Blu won't be so crowded anymore as Suite folks will eat in their own restaurant. ;)

Sure, but the question I was answering was for a poster who sails before the change.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

With the AQ Suites reverting to S1's and with the new Suite restaurant, Blu won't be so crowded anymore as Suite folks will eat in their own restaurant. ;)

Except the overcrowding may possibly end up being transferred to Luminae. ;)