Flying day of cruise

kycouple39

We are set sail on the Breeze from Miami on 4/25. We can save over $300 by flying the day of the cruise, rather than the night before. Normally, we don't do this; however...

We can get a non-stop flight departing at 7:30AM and landing in Miami around 10:30AM.

Given those facts, do you think this is risky?

You have left way to much info missing to give any kind of real answer.

Where are you flying from?

What time of year are go wanting to do this?

Is this the only flight per day?

What happens if your flight is delayed or cancelled? Would that $300 be worth it to miss your cruise? Airlines have cut capacity, so if something happens are you still going to be able to get to Miami on time. But in the end only you can decide if saving $300 is worth the risk.

Flying from Louisville, KY.

As I stated, we depart 4/25/15

No

What happens if your flight is delayed or cancelled? Would that $300 be worth it to miss your cruise? Airlines have cut capacity, so if something happens are you still going to be able to get to Miami on time. But in the end only you can decide if saving $300 is worth the risk.

I always fly in the day of the cruise. I take the red eye from the Left Coast which gets me in to FLL about 10:30, for a 4:00 sailing. I think as long as you can arrive no later than 1:00 in the afternoon you should be OK. This is providing the weather doesn't make another dump on the Northern KY area.

Over the years I have been on 2 flights that had to turn back to the departure airport because of mechanical issues. Both times that meant we were much later arriving at our final destination. Neither was a flight prior to a cruise. But they could have been, and we would have missed the ship. To us it's just not worth taking the risk to fly in the day of the cruise.

There is only 1 nonstop form Louisville to Miami on AA on Apr 25th. If something happens to that flight you will have to connect in Charlotte, Dallas or Chicago (assuming there is room on those flights.). I just looked at the AA website and the prices on the 24th are about the same as the 25th so I don't really see where you are getting a $300 savings by going in on the 25th. There is a 6pm and a 8pm flight that connects in Charlotte for only $10 more that departs on the 24th and they get in late on the 24th.

Edited by TruckerDave

Over the years I have been on 2 flights that had to turn back to the departure airport because of mechanical issues. Both times that meant we were much later arriving at our final destination. Neither was a flight prior to a cruise. But they could have been, and we would have missed the ship. To us it's just not worth taking the risk to fly in the day of the cruise.

I was going to Santo Domingo a few years ago....we were 30 min from landing when we turned around and went back to MIA with mechanical issues. I guess AA would rather have a broken plane at their Miami hub instead of having to fly maint crews to SDQ. By the time we got back the next two flights down there were already full and I didn't get to the beach until the next afternoon. (after a nice stay at the Sofitel in Miami on AA's dime :D )

There is only 1 nonstop form Louisville to Miami on AA on Apr 25th. If something happens to that flight you will have to connect in Charlotte, Dallas or Chicago (assuming there is room on those flights.). I just looked at the AA website and the prices on the 24th are about the same as the 25th so I don't really see where you are getting a $300 savings by going in on the 25th. There is a 6pm and a 8pm flight that connects in Charlotte for only $10 more that departs on the 24th and they get in late on the 24th.

If we fly out the 24th, we can't leave until late, late at night because of my husband's job. Louisville is about 90 mins. from us, so we would have to leave from Lexington on the 24th, and that airport is significantly higher.

Thank you for your help and research. I personally think $300 is worth the peace of mind to fly in the night before.

Edited by kycouple39

We are set sail on the Breeze from Miami on 4/25. We can save over $300 by flying the day of the cruise, rather than the night before. Normally, we don't do this; however...

We can get a non-stop flight departing at 7:30AM and landing in Miami around 10:30AM.

Hi Kycouple..flying in the day before has more proactive than reactive. It will save you time and aggravation and you may be able to find a cheaper flight in the early afternoon or evening. Hotels in the Miami near the port of Miami book fast, but it is definitely worth the $300 in the event an issue arises with your travel.

Jcruise

You already know the answer.

Would highly recommend flying in the day before.

DH was a million mile flyer on different airlines - flew weekly on business. We also flew a lot as a couple. Have been delayed for every reason under the sun!

Crew delays, mechanical delays, etc. Everyone always talks about winter delays - flying from Wisconsin have often experienced weather delays. However, and this is one no one ever mentions, flying to Florida at any time of year can have weather delays.

We have been delayed flying to Florida on numerous occasions because of thunderstorms. Several years ago (thank goodness we were flying the day prior to the cruise), we circled Miami for ever because of approaching thunderstorms and heavy rain. It was not fun ..... finally we were diverted to Orlando to take on more fuel and wait for the thunderstorms to clear over Miami. This was in May.

October of 2013 we sat on the ground in Fort Lauderdale on the plane for an hour - finally had to de-plane - again this was because of thunderstorms. Airport closed for a couple of hours. This was coming home from a cruise and we missed our connection in Detroit.

Again, fly in the day before! Everyone says you'll be fine - but they won't be on the plane with you if something goes wrong and you miss the ship!

If we fly out the 24th, we can't leave until late, late at night because of my husband's job. Louisville is about 90 mins. from us, so we would have to leave from Lexington on the 24th, and that airport is significantly higher.

Thank you for your help and research. I personally think $300 is worth the peace of mind to fly in the night before.

Check flying into Lauderdale, Orlando, Melbourne, or Tampa on the 24th. Get a room at an airport hotel, then rent a car and drive to Miami on the 25th. I'd personally rather chance a 4 hour drive to the port on the day of the cruise than a flight.

BTW, Melbourne airport is the equivalent of Lexington.

We very rarely fly to our cruises, but if we fly we go the day before. Now that I said thst we did just the oppisite on our last cruisr. We cruised out of NOLA and with the hotel prices so high at Mardi Gras we decieded to fly. We flew from Orlando to New Orleans. An 1 1/2 hour flight and I was nervous. But all did go smoothly. As long as you arrive no later than 1pm, I see no problem. $300.00 is lots of cruise spending money.

You left out a couple -

Is the flight non-stop?

Have you looked up the cancellation probabilities for the slight?

DON

Would highly recommend flying in the day before.

DH was a million mile flyer on different airlines - flew weekly on business. We also flew a lot as a couple. Have been delayed for every reason under the sun!

Crew delays, mechanical delays, etc. Everyone always talks about winter delays - flying from Wisconsin have often experienced weather delays. However, and this is one no one ever mentions, flying to Florida at any time of year can have weather delays.

We have been delayed flying to Florida on numerous occasions because of thunderstorms. Several years ago (thank goodness we were flying the day prior to the cruise), we circled Miami for ever because of approaching thunderstorms and heavy rain. It was not fun ..... finally we were diverted to Orlando to take on more fuel and wait for the thunderstorms to clear over Miami. This was in May.

October of 2013 we sat on the ground in Fort Lauderdale on the plane for an hour - finally had to de-plane - again this was because of thunderstorms. Airport closed for a couple of hours. This was coming home from a cruise and we missed our connection in Detroit.

Again, fly in the day before! Everyone says you'll be fine - but they won't be on the plane with you if something goes wrong and you miss the ship!

I was once delayed about 4 hours because the flight was delayed on the runway because of thunderstorms and by the time the plane could take off, one of the crew members ran out of allowed flight hours. They had to fly a new crew in from another location.

Another time I was flying out of San Juan and there was minor problem with a radio on the plane - a 5 minute repair job if they had the part. They did not and they could not borrow one from another airline. They had to fly one in from Miami.

In other words, if it can go wrong - it will go wrong sometimes.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Unless we're going from our home port (an hour's drive, and even then we're leaving by 10am), we get in at least a day before to the embarkation city and stay the night. We're not stressed out about possible problems with the flight, can relax, even maybe get in a little sightseeing, a nice dinner, and any needed shopping trips in.

If we can't spare that day, we won't book that cruise. Better to wait than possibly missing part of the cruise, have to play catch up (which is $).

Unless we're going from our home port (an hour's drive' date=' and even then we're leaving by 10am), we get in at least a day before to the embarkation city and stay the night. We're not stressed out about possible problems with the flight, can relax, even maybe get in a little sightseeing, a nice dinner, and any needed shopping trips in.

If we can't spare that day, we won't book that cruise. Better to wait than possibly missing part of the cruise, have to play catch up (which is $).[/quote']

100% agree