Proof of 18% gratuity on specialty restaurants

hpecorari

NCL seems to really be pushing and pushing the Specialty restaurants.

I see a lot of posts here on cruise critic with complaints about NCL not offering items in the main dining rooms that they really liked ..... lobster, creme brulee, etc.

I'm just curious. I've not sailed on other lines but NCL, except for one cruise on Royal Caribbean and Premier Cruise Line many, many years ago.

Do the other lines, Carnival - Holland America - Princess, do the other cruise lines have so many Specialty Restaurants like NCL does???? And do they have so many pay food and treat areas? Like Carlo's, Coffee, that sort of thing?Most lines, including Celebrity and Crystal, have a few for a fee specialty restaurants. I think Royal Caribbean on their newer ships might have Starbucks. On Celebrity they have Café al Bacio where you can purchase specialty coffee drinks. and gelato.

Do the other lines have lots of days like NCL where they have tables set up in the Atrium or in the Pool Deck area, with souvenirs, t-shirts, jewelry, watches ........ that sort of thing?????Yes.

Do the other lines have all of the pay things like, Bingo - art auctions - pull tab thingies - all of those type things?Yes, some even have exercise class that are for a fee, wine tastings, martini tastings, etc.

I'm really wondering how NCL compares to the other main-line cruise lines as far as the amount of events/places/dining that you have to pay extra for.

I think NCL is pretty much the same as other cruise lines, except for the luxury lines like Crystal, in the number of for a fee items they have. Some complain about nickel and diming, but that only happens if you allow it to happen.

It does not come out of your pocket if you rec'd the promo from NCL. It does come out of your pocket if you are purchasing it on your own.

Yes. I'm just wondering if you get it as a perk and they don't charge for the gratuities are they actually paying the grats for you? If this is the case anyone who takes the UDP as a perk just got an additional perk in that they are now paying the tip that you previously had the choice to leave or not.

Yes. I'm just wondering if you get it as a perk and they don't charge for the gratuities are they actually paying the grats for you? If this is the case anyone who takes the UDP as a perk just got an additional perk in that they are now paying the tip that you previously had the choice to leave or not.

Regardless, you are still paying the DSC so your gratuities are accounted for whichever dining venue you choose from the buffet, MDR or specialty. Anything more or less should be your discretion.

They set the rules many years ago and now are changing them.

Rules set many years ago are just that and require changes now and then. Remember the time we weren't being charged for checking luggage at the airlines, when we could bring a bottle of soda through the security checkpoint? How about when smoking was allowed on balconies? Did you complain when that rule was changed? Rules change over time - be it from economic or societal pressures. Like I said, it's not a reflection on you or me. You can go with the flow or let it leave a sour taste. I prefer to go with the flow.

Edited by rpb718

Let's be fair about this. Don't try to justify the company's actions.
How is it fair to silence one side of the debate?
I'm just wondering if you get it as a perk and they don't charge for the gratuities are they actually paying the grats for you? If this is the case anyone who takes the UDP as a perk just got an additional perk in that they are now paying the tip that you previously had the choice to leave or not.
Yes, that would be a good way to look at it (I said it myself earlier in this thread, or the other one). But NCL has only actually said that you won't be charged the 18% (just like you are not charged the 18% on drinks with the free UBP). I personally believe that they are paying the 18% into the appropriate tip pool. Many people in this thread are now prepared to believe the worst of NCL, so they will say that the servers are being stiffed. Let's be fair about this: Believe what you want to believe. :)

Regardless, you are still paying the DSC so your gratuities are accounted for whichever dining venue you choose from the buffet, MDR or specialty. Anything more or less should be your discretion.

I know but before this auto grat started their website had a section that said grats were not included in speciality dining. That's been there for a long time, suggesting to me that if you dined in speciality that you should probably leave something extra even though they were included in DSC. Then they added the 18% grat.

I totally get that anyone can leave extra even if they have the UBP and tips are included but at least when/doing so you know that it already includes an 18% tip so your basing any extra above that.

What I'm wondering is if you get the UDP as a perk are they actually including the 18% tip or just not charging you the extra 18% and leaving it your choice. It makes a difference to me because if they are paying my 18% tips for me like they do with the UBP then I don't need to.

We are booked on 14 night cruise on NCL in October. This is the first time we are not going to be in a balcony or above due to the rising cost of cruising. We have chosen to stay in an inside cabin, limit special dining to two or three nights and limit drinks to a minimum. We usually spend about 2,000 or above onboard a 14 night trip but have decided not to anymore. Especially if we will be getting charged 18% more for everything. I used to tip extra at every restaurant and bar but will no longer do that either. Just our choice.

If you have a promo UBP, I suggest if you want to, you tip...

Jancruz1

I understand but if you have the UBP an 18% gratuity is included already. If a person wants to give more they can but at least they know 18% is already included so any extra they give is in addition to 18%. I'm on a 14 nt cruise. 18% included is a savings of a considerable amount if the perk includes it vs just not charges for it.

Don't know if anyone posted this yet or not... but it the 18% gratuity is now built into the price of the UDP, although it is not reflected yet in the terms & conditions. Former price = $119 New price = $142 Difference = 18%

image.jpg1_zpsndgibdam.jpg

They are all more alike than different -- except Norwegian is ALL open dining ALL the time rather than tucked away into a small area of a regular dining room.

That the main difference. NCL has as many "included" dining venues as the other cruise lines mentioned but they probably have more upcharge restaurants. Many more choices.

I understand but if you have the UBP an 18% gratuity is included already. If a person wants to give more they can but at least they know 18% is already included so any extra they give is in addition to 18%. I'm on a 14 nt cruise. 18% included is a savings of a considerable amount if the perk includes it vs just not charges for it.

I might be wrong, but I don't believe that NCL is paying the additional 18% gratuity to the wait staff for everybody who has the UDP-promotion, all though in my opinion they should.... That doesn't mean that you will be charged for the 18% gratuity, that just means that the waiters in specialty restaurants doesn't get the 18% - they might instead get the part of the DSC they used to get before , I am certain NCL have some systems in place to work that out. But it will definately not be as much as 18%, and then it is up to you if you want to give a few dollars tip instead. To "compensate".... But the amount is entirely up to you - $1 or $2 or $5 or even more (or nothing - since you are not obliged to tip extra, because you received the UDP as a free, promotional perk). Personally I would leave at least a couple of dollars tip after each dinner.

Edited by TrumpyNor

I might be wrong, but I don't believe that NCL is paying the additional 18% gratuity to the wait staff for everybody who has the UDP-promotion, all though in my opinion they should.... That doesn't mean that you will be charged for the 18% gratuity, that just means that the waiters in specialty restaurants doesn't get the 18% - they might instead get the part of the DSC they used to get before , I am certain NCL have some systems in place to work that out. But it will definately not be as much as 18%, and then it is up to you if you want to give a few dollars tip instead. To "compensate".... But the amount is entirely up to you - $1 or $2 or $5 or even more (or nothing - since you are not obliged to tip extra, because you received the UDP as a free, promotional perk). Personally I would leave at least a couple of dollars tip after each dinner.

This makes sense to me. Thanks. Kim

How is it fair to silence one side of the debate?

Yes, that would be a good way to look at it (I said it myself earlier in this thread, or the other one). But NCL has only actually said that you won't be charged the 18% (just like you are not charged the 18% on drinks with the free UBP). I personally believe that they are paying the 18% into the appropriate tip pool. Many people in this thread are now prepared to believe the worst of NCL, so they will say that the servers are being stiffed. Let's be fair about this: Believe what you want to believe. :)

Yes, if the bartenders are not getting tipped on an UBP perk drink I think that would be an extreme pay cut. They may not be getting the 18% but if they got zero unless the customer gave them an additional tip they would not ever want to serve you. They're some of the best servers in the industry. No way could they be getting zero on a UBP perk drink. I hope it's the same with the UDP perk.

Yes, if the bartenders are not getting tipped on an UBP perk drink I think that would be an extreme pay cut. They may not be getting the 18% but if they got zero unless the customer gave them an additional tip they would not ever want to serve you. They're some of the best servers in the industry. No way could they be getting zero on a UBP perk drink. I hope it's the same with the UDP perk.

There would be no way for a bar server to know if you purchased the UBP or you choose it as part of a promotion. The same will be true of the server in a specialty restaurant.

If NCL is telling guests that the packages that are part of the promos include the gratuity then they should be paying that gratuity into the pools. If not, did they ask the crew if they were willing to forgo that part of their compensation for all those guests who have a package or pre-paid gratuities because of a booking promotion?

Maybe that is why Mr. Sheehan left...he had respect for the crews on the ships and did not want to see them get the shaft.

Rochelle

Rochelle

No way could they be getting zero on a UBP perk drink. I hope it's the same with the UDP perk.
Maybe someone could ask them? I know that if they say "yes, we're being tipped by NCL on your behalf" some people will say it's not true, it's a corporate line they're instructed to feed guests, and if they say "no, we receive no tips for UBP drinks/UDP meals" some will say it's a self-serving lie to get more tips. But at least you will have had a nice, awkward, indiscreet conversation with your server that could get them fired. Freestyle Cruising!

Maybe someone could ask them? I know that if they say "yes, we're being tipped by NCL on your behalf" some people will say it's not true, it's a corporate line they're instructed to feed guests, and if they say "no, we receive no tips for UBP drinks/UDP meals" some will say it's a self-serving lie to get more tips. But at least you will have had a nice, awkward, indiscreet conversation with your server that could get them fired. Freestyle Cruising!

Actually, I discreetly asked the bartender in The Haven on Breakaway last May if he was adequately compensated with guests with the UBP and his answer was as absolute, unequivocal "yes". In fact, he liked it as people drank more with the packages and was bemoaning the fact that not enough people bought it that week - he actually had the approximate number of guests that had purchased it.

The "proof is in the pudding" moment for us was one morning two months later on Getaway where the bartender for our first cocktail of the day poured Grey Goose into our grapefruit juice as opposed to the well brand or even Smirnoff. We jokingly protested that it was a waste of Grey Goose as the juice didn't need it but he said "only the best for us". We quickly realized that by pouring the most expensive vodka on the package, he "earned" the additional tip on the cost difference of the cheap stuff versus the good stuff.

Actually, I discreetly asked the bartender in The Haven on Breakaway last May if he was adequately compensated with guests with the UBP and his answer was as absolute, unequivocal "yes". In fact, he liked it as people drank more with the packages and was bemoaning the fact that not enough people bought it that week - he actually had the approximate number of guests that had purchased it.

The "proof is in the pudding" moment for us was one morning two months later on Getaway where the bartender for our first cocktail of the day poured Grey Goose into our grapefruit juice as opposed to the well brand or even Smirnoff. We jokingly protested that it was a waste of Grey Goose as the juice didn't need it but he said "only the best for us". We quickly realized that by pouring the most expensive vodka on the package, he "earned" the additional tip on the cost difference of the cheap stuff versus the good stuff.

Yep, had similar conversation last week onboard Spirit. The receipt still shows the 18% tip and the servers name so adds up in the system on their "sold" drinks..

Edited by Single Cruiser

There would be no way for a bar server to know if you purchased the UBP or you choose it as part of a promotion. The same will be true of the server in a specialty restaurant.

If NCL is telling guests that the packages that are part of the promos include the gratuity then they should be paying that gratuity into the pools. If not, did they ask the crew if they were willing to forgo that part of their compensation for all those guests who have a package or pre-paid gratuities because of a booking promotion?

Maybe that is why Mr. Sheehan left...he had respect for the crews on the ships and did not want to see them get the shaft.

Rochelle

Rochelle

I have not been on an NCL ship in over a year now but last cruise, August, 2103, our room steward in our inside stateroom refused to take an extra tip from me. He said it was a pleasure taking care of us and he was already tipped from the DSC.

The cruise prior we were in the Haven and our room steward the took the extra tip and was very gracious. Our main server was very happy to get an extra $50 and said she had a few hrs off that am and was going to run to Nordstrom to get her makeup with the extra $.

Point being that unless their pay scales have drastically changed, the staff on board seemed very happy and no complaints witnessed. We saw staff on excursions with us. They work hard and deserve what they're paid and then some but I didn't have a guilt feeling about them being treated terribly or exploited.

The description on NCL's website that the DSC covers what is fair for everyone and if you get outstanding service you can tip extra. I personally think that if these increased fees are not showing up as an increase in their pay they would revolt. They have internet and they read cruise critic.

Perhaps not all of the 18% is going to the speciality servers but I'm guessing that if they get a pay cut and reduced tips as a result we will soon hear reports of angry and bitter staff who hate their employer.

I don't see that happening with all the UBP give aways. I'm hopeful the same holds true with the UDP perks now that there's an 18% gratuity added on.

I'm going to believe that gratuity was always suggested in speciality dining venues, staff started having a fit that they saw less and less people leaving any extra with all the UDP giveaways and this is NCLs way of giving their best servers a gratuity above the DSC.

I don't know if this was answered already, this appears to be a very long thread, but when I booked the ultimate Dining Package I paid $119.00. Do I now have to pay the additional 18%?? I did this months ago.

Thanks

Jerry

No, you don't, since the conditions for the UDP was different when you purchased it. The waiters in the specialty restaurants will just know that you have the UDP, they do not know who purchased it with or without the 18% gratuity, if it was a free promotion, or what you paid for it. They will just know that you have the UDP - to them UDP is UDP...

Edited by TrumpyNor

littlelulu01

I agree with you 100% that I think the crew have felt they are well compensated. I have purchased the UBP before and was confident that the gratuity that I paid with the package was reaching those who deserved it. The question though is what about all the UBP that have been given away since the promotion started back in December. It takes time before it can be seen if they are having an impact. With the cost of drinks increasing 7%, the tip increase to 18% and more people drinking with the promotional UBP and soda packages they bar staff should be seeing a significant increase in pay from this point forward. Would be interesting to know if someone hears of that happening.

CantWaitToCruise50

You will not have to pay anything additional as your package is grandfathered in.

Rochelle