Best Wine You Have PURCHASED on Board X??

MaggieAtSea

What kind of promo were you on? ;) :p

We have some in the wine cellar in the basement but it's old and I have no idea what it cost so I googled it.

http://www.duckhorn.com/Wines/Merlot/Napa-Valley-Merlot-Three-Palms-Vineyard

I've never been on any kind of "package" that covered wines of that quality! :D

We just had the regular drink package...we did not upgrade. It was on our Eastern Med cruise in 2013. DH had this wine regularly in the Ensemble lounge and, if memory serves me correctly, the MDR. Once I found it online when we got home, we wondered too how they could provide the quality of wine but they must get a special price for it.

If you have that at home, uncork it, let it breathe and enjoy it. :D Quack, quack! ;)

Edited by midwestchick

Conundrum has an interesting history. It was produced by Caymus and called Caymus Conundrum for year. I believe the owners got divorced (Chuck Wagner's ex Wife) and she got Conundrum and Chuck Wagner kept the rest.

The white has changed from what it once was (or maybe my pallet has) but we consider it decent table wine. It's about $18-$20 at most retail outlets. Conundrum now has a red as well.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks for the background. I know what you mean about the Conundrum, it is a little sweeter then what we are drinking now so I usually order it if our food is spicy. I also remembered a great red, Murietta's Well and a great Carmenere from Chili.

Johanne

We just had the regular drink package...we did not upgrade. It was on our Eastern Med cruise in 2013. DH had this wine regularly in the Ensemble lounge and, if memory serves me correctly, the MDR. Once I found it online when we got home, we wondered too how they could provide the quality of wine but they must get a special price for it.

If you have that at home, uncork it, let it breathe and enjoy it. :D Quack, quack! ;)

Could it have been their regular merlot rather than the three palm? I think the regular Merlot is around $50 a bottle.

Thanks for the background. I know what you mean about the Conundrum, it is a little sweeter then what we are drinking now so I usually order it if our food is spicy. I also remembered a great red, Murietta's Well and a great Carmenere from Chili.

Johanne

Do you remember if it was Frontera Carmenere?

Johanne

Could it have been their regular merlot rather than the three palm? I think the regular Merlot is around $50 a bottle.

Darn it...tried to do the double quote but it doesn't work for me.

No...that's how I remembered it...three palms. In fact, I had a discussion with a man on here from CA about it. I tried to search my old posts but could not find it for you

Many of us wine enthusiasts bring a favorite bottle - or two - aboard... but, curious, when you've purchased from Celebrity's own cellar during a sailing, what's been a memorable/favorite wine you have enjoyed?

Pomerol :)

The most off putting was, one had to sign a waiver (befire opening) to confirm if the wine was corked you agreed to pay. The wine was great, but vowed never to order a good bottle from Celebrity again.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Wow, port royal, that's amazing! Celebrity certainly deals in enough volume that if a bottle were corked, the distributor would simply take their word for it and offer a refund. A corked bottle is not the restaurant's fault, but it clearly is not the customer's fault!

I don't remember exact bottles now (nothing I've purchased on board was truly memorable), but I found a couple of years ago that the list included a reasonable selection of bottles in the $50 to $70 price range (mostly pinot noirs for us) that were decent value given that you're paying the outrageous mark-up seen in any restaurant.

Greetings

They usually have at least a couple of bottles of Screaming Eagle on board. Make your waiters day and go for it, he would love the 18% gratuity on that bill.

Good Sailing

Tom

We have a Screaming Eagle fund. With the premium pkg we'll get a 20% discount :D offset now by the 18% gratuity :( . The same vintner is involved with Diamond Creek & Screaming Eagle.

:D:D Joseph Phelps Insignia (sorry, forgot the vintage ).

After many discussions with American friends, I think I have finally found the answer to a wine question that has bothered me for years ( disclaimer : I worked professionally for 15 years in the wine trade, importing, and teaching mostly ). Why do my American friends and relations always consistently order only American wines, even while cruising in the Med., home to so many superb wines of all styles ?

The answer turned out to be rather simple. Most American wines are very simply identified by grape variety ( Chardonnay, Cab. Sauvignon, Pinot Noir etc) and the manufacturer. European wines are identified by a mishmash of names : producers ( Chateau Such and Such ), areas, towns, regions, individual vineyards sometimes, styles, and production methods ( witness Ripasso ). Without some formal wine education most of the people in question admitted to being intimidated by European wines, and not really understanding the "what" or the "where" and so, usually defaulted to choosing something familiar. Completely understandable.

I asked a friend why they had not considered a very good Loire Valley wine, that was $20 less than any of the California offerings ( on Celebrity), and was reminded that they only drank Sauvignon Blanc ( the recommended wine WAS Sauvignon Blanc ). They preferred to stick with a familiar wine. I told them to try the Loire wine, and if not happy, I would pay for it.

They loved the wine, and had their eyes opened.

K

After many discussions with American friends, I think I have finally found the answer to a wine question that has bothered me for years ( disclaimer : I worked professionally for 15 years in the wine trade, importing, and teaching mostly ). Why do my American friends and relations always consistently order only American wines, even while cruising in the Med., home to so many superb wines of all styles ?

The answer turned out to be rather simple. Most American wines are very simply identified by grape variety ( Chardonnay, Cab. Sauvignon, Pinot Noir etc) and the manufacturer. European wines are identified by a mishmash of names : producers ( Chateau Such and Such ), areas, towns, regions, individual vineyards sometimes, styles, and production methods ( witness Ripasso ). Without some formal wine education most of the people in question admitted to being intimidated by European wines, and not really understanding the "what" or the "where" and so, usually defaulted to choosing something familiar. Completely understandable.

I asked a friend why they had not considered a very good Loire Valley wine, that was $20 less than any of the California offerings ( on Celebrity), and was reminded that they only drank Sauvignon Blanc ( the recommended wine WAS Sauvignon Blanc ). They preferred to stick with a familiar wine. I told them to try the Loire wine, and if not happy, I would pay for it.

K

interesting analysis and you are right. The only time I took a wine class was in Tuscany. I have been drinking Italian wines ever since. I love Vernaccia, Orvieto, and of course Brunello and its little brothers.... always looking for a new white italian wine at the stores here in the North country.

Drink Clfford Bay, a Sauvignon when I am on Celebrity, their Italian wines by the glass are sparse.

Our favorites onboard Celebrity have been Toscana Pian Di Nova Il Borro (Italy), Puligny Montrachet (Chardonnay - France), Chiarello Family Estates - Bambino (Cabernet Sauvignon - Napa), Grgich Hills (Chardonnay - Napa) and Craggy Range (New Zealand). Overall, we've been quite impressed with the wine selection onboard Celebrity. The Sommelier on our last cruise (Reflection) said that Celebrity carries 10,000 bottles on each ship with 480 different selections.

I found it. Do you, by any chance, remember the year?

If you google it and really want to purchase the wine, you can order it online.

DH enjoys a good Carmenere.

arboleda-carmenere-colchagua-valley-chile-10118785.jpg

Don't remember the year but Chilean wines are usually pretty young. I will check the purchase online. thanks. Johanne

K

I know I've seen plenty of models of cars I never saw in the U.S. in Asia, Europe and even the Caribbean, but couldn't begin to remember what they are. When things aren't often front in center in your "perspective" you won't as easily remember them. So, I agree. Sometimes it's not just $20 less, but (without markup) great bottles from small batch vinters at $20/bottle. We try various French and Italian wines all the time, and have brought back / shipped bottles home. I just couldn't even begin to remember the name of a specific European wine I tried onboard :)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We just sailed on the Silhouette in February. In the MDR I ordered a glass of carmenere that was excellent. Naturally I forgot to write down the name. It was also one of the less expensive choices.

Johanne

I have been trying to find Murietta's Well for some time now. Always sold out in our archaic state run liquor system. Very good inexpensive wine.

This thread reminded me of an app that was recently suggested to me, that I just started to use. It's called Vivino and is a bit like Shazam for wine.

Simply take a picture of the label and if you have an internet connection it will identify the wine, add it to your cellar and you can look back on what you had, where you had it, what you paid, see average ratings, avergae price, etc.

If you don't have an internet connection, like on a ship, it will just save it until later when you do have a connection.

I am pretty sure it was a free app. I just started using it, but I think I'll use it much more on my upcoming trip :)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

This thread reminded me of an app that was recently suggested to me, that I just started to use. It's called Vivino and is a bit like Shazam for wine.

Simply take a picture of the label and if you have an internet connection it will identify the wine, add it to your cellar and you can look back on what you had, where you had it, what you paid, see average ratings, avergae price, etc.

If you don't have an internet connection, like on a ship, it will just save it until later when you do have a connection.

I am pretty sure it was a free app. I just started using it, but I think I'll use it much more on my upcoming trip :)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

So glad I came back to this thread tonight. Great app suggestion! Thanks Jenna.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna,

My husband makes fun of me for being on Cruise Critic but he and his wine snob buddies are going to LOVE that app!

Thank you!