unhappy on the adventure

For me what it boils down to is that they actually had to argue to get some soap? Really? They got a toothbrush and t-shirt. Not that is the WOW they talk about. :rolleyes: I would have eaten in the main dining room and when the dress snobs would have given the un-approving sour face I would have announced that RCI's air partner lost my luggage and this was what they provided for us. It is so sad that people are actually arguing about which one is responsible. What about compassion for your paying customer? :(

According to your signature, you´ve been on two RCI Cruises in the past two years, including one on the Adventure lihe the OP. I´d be interested to hear you telling me you had no Soap in your cabin.

I know they don´t provide a whole lot of toiletries in the non-Suite rooms, but I´ve yet to be on a cruise where I didn´t get Soap.

I´m sorry but that Point doesn´t hold too much credit with me and even if Murphy´s law struck and the cabin attendant failed to put Soap in there, I hardly think they had to argue about it.

In general, I have found that customer service tends to go out the window once a company has your money.

I can see how one would be fooled by the assurance that one would arrive in time for their cruise. I book my own cruises and flights because I am a control freak, or a pessimist.

We pack carry on only for flights for the same reason.

I am sorry the OP had a negative vacation experience. I have learned from it.

For some of us vacations are few and far between.

I hope that you will have smooth sailing on future vacations.

For me what it boils down to is that they actually had to argue to get some soap? Really? They got a toothbrush and t-shirt. Not that is the WOW they talk about. :rolleyes: I would have eaten in the main dining room and when the dress snobs would have given the un-approving sour face I would have announced that RCI's air partner lost my luggage and this was what they provided for us. It is so sad that people are actually arguing about which one is responsible. What about compassion for your paying customer? :(

What it boils down to is that we weren't there, we don't know the full story. They were given the stand lost luggage pack, did they explain to anyone that they hadn't taken the time to go buy any essentials why they were waiting for the ship and they needed shampoo? They had the time to go buy some clothing, which would have been reimbursed by their insurance, they chose not to pick up a few things. The OP knew that they did not have all their meds, she said she had a weeks worth but that really doesn't add up if she ran out of her morning insulin while still on the ship. Did she notify anyone prior to running out or did she wait until it was a crisis?

You ask for "compassion for a paying customer" but there is only so much the cruise line can do. They didn't lose the luggage, the airline did. They didn't book flights with a very short connection, the OP. They don't know what the OP needs if the OP doesn't tell them. You need to be your own advocate, unfortunately, the OP was their own worst enemy.

Yes really.

If you don´t like a product or the Terms associated with it, don´t buy it.

I see nothing wrong with what you describe on how big Corps work. It´s money making Business. No one Forces you to buy such products, especially when it Comes to stuff like Cruises.

ETA:

BTW, why don´t those small businesses don´t survive anyway with their great customer Service? It´s because todays Society is greedy as I said. People will run towards the big corporations Business to get those lower Prices, knowing they will get less customer Service. It´s their free decision to put greed over Service. That´s why small Business are run over by the big corp.

Look what´s Happening with online Business. People go to the stores to see, touch and check out the products. Many of These stores will be small businesses offering lots of Service and guidance. Then People leave the store witout a purchase and go home to order it online from Amazon or ebay or others. Now who´s fault is this? Big Corp? Small Business? Or maybe the consumer who cries foul later?

You are right about the buying public. I just am convinced that corporations for the most part lack moral accountability and nothing is really done to encourage it. So when it comes to an individual vs a corporation I always side with the individual until I know what went on. In this case I think RCCL really dropped the ball. Good thing they have real competition because maybe with their lack of customer service someone else who does provide customer service can win their business.

I already saw this on our roll call. They moved someone from their connecting room with their parents to another deck without asking. Then when they called to rectify the situation RCCL said they had the right to move them because it is in the contract and refused to put them back together. Their parents are handicapped and I a, sure they were there to assist and RCCL did nothing so they cancelled and are moving to another cruise line. I personally am seeing way to many of these lack of customer service posts to start to think that RCCL really does have a problem. Maybe you haven't seen it but I can put 2+2 together.

Maybe if instead of the people who love RCCL so much butchering those who are experiencing poor service first hand they should hold RCCL accountable for their poor service. Because of they continue to do business the way they seem to be headed you eventually will no longer see the RCCL you love so much if you experience those same things.

We all can encounter problems with travel and life but the way a company handles you when they are directly involved really shows what kind of company you are dealing with. RCCL is failing in my book. My kid got sick on Disney and it was insane how they dealt with it. I felt like they cared like my problems were their problems. While they didn't need to help they went above and beyond. I don't see that with RCCL.

What it boils down to is that we weren't there, we don't know the full story. They were given the stand lost luggage pack, did they explain to anyone that they hadn't taken the time to go buy any essentials why they were waiting for the ship and they needed shampoo? They had the time to go buy some clothing, which would have been reimbursed by their insurance, they chose not to pick up a few things. The OP knew that they did not have all their meds, she said she had a weeks worth but that really doesn't add up if she ran out of her morning insulin while still on the ship. Did she notify anyone prior to running out or did she wait until it was a crisis?

You ask for "compassion for a paying customer" but there is only so much the cruise line can do. They didn't lose the luggage, the airline did. They didn't book flights with a very short connection, the OP. They don't know what the OP needs if the OP doesn't tell them. You need to be your own advocate, unfortunately, the OP was their own worst enemy.

Can't disagree more!

No compassion, no excuses, responsibility from the company you bought the air pkge from, RCL!:eek:

RCL sold the air pkge., they 'are' responsible! What's so diffcult with that?

And did you read what the OP wrote, RCL did know, stop the excuses!

When you buy a phone, say a camera at the local Best Buy, and take it home, and it doesn't work, you bring it back to Best Buy cause its their responsibility to replace it for a working one. Why? Because you bought it from Best Buy, not the camera manufacturer. Its Best Buys problem to deal with the manufacturer!

Same here, the OP bought the air pkge. from RCL, it was RCL who must make it right! It was RCL's responsibility to deal with the airlines, and take care of the passenger the best they could!

If RCL doesn't want the responsibility, they shouldn't sell the pkge.!

If the OP had bought the air separately, not from RCL, I'd agree, RCL would have no responsibility!

Can't disagree more!

No compassion, no excuses, responsibility from the company you bought the air pkge from, RCL!:eek:

When you buy a phone, say a camera at the local Best Buy, and take it home, and it doesn't work, you bring it back to Best Buy cause its their responsibility to replace it for a working one. Why? Because you bought it from Best Buy, not the camera manufacturer. Its Best Buys problem to deal with the manufacturer!

Same here, the OP bought the air pkge. from RCL, it was RCL who must make it right! It was RCL's responsibility to deal with the airlines, and take care of the passenger the best they could!

If the OP had bought the air separately, not from RCL, I'd agree, RCL would have no responsibility!

So what exactly do you want the cruise line to do to make this right? The OP was rebooked on a flight. They were put up in a hotel and they met the ship in Barbados. They took care of getting the passenger to the ship.

At no point did the cruise line ever have possession of the luggage, so they couldn't get it to the passenger. The airline lost the luggage so short of having Royal Caribbean send a crew member to every airport that American Airlines serves, what would you like the cruise line to do?

You are right about the buying public. I just am convinced that corporations for the most part lack moral accountability and nothing is really done to encourage it. So when it comes to an individual vs a corporation I always side with the individual until I know what went on. In this case I think RCCL really dropped the ball. Good thing they have real competition because maybe with their lack of customer service someone else who does provide customer service can win their business.

I already saw this on our roll call. They moved someone from their connecting room with their parents to another deck without asking. Then when they called to rectify the situation RCCL said they had the right to move them because it is in the contract and refused to put them back together. Their parents are handicapped and I a, sure they were there to assist and RCCL did nothing so they cancelled and are moving to another cruise line. I personally am seeing way to many of these lack of customer service posts to start to think that RCCL really does have a problem. Maybe you haven't seen it but I can put 2+2 together.

Maybe if instead of the people who love RCCL so much butchering those who are experiencing poor service first hand they should hold RCCL accountable for their poor service. Because of they continue to do business the way they seem to be headed you eventually will no longer see the RCCL you love so much if you experience those same things.

We all can encounter problems with travel and life but the way a company handles you when they are directly involved really shows what kind of company you are dealing with. RCCL is failing in my book. My kid got sick on Disney and it was insane how they dealt with it. I felt like they cared like my problems were their problems. While they didn't need to help they went above and beyond. I don't see that with RCCL.

I'd add that these types of complaints are on all the cruise line forums, as there seem to be too many loop holes the industry as a whole.

If you don't have a problem, as most don't on a cruise, its hard to understand, but if it happens to you, there's little you can do!

And what's amazing is how uncaring fellow cruisers are here in the forums. Sure there are many cases where the cruiser is responsible, but this OP's story is an example of where the cruise line failed.

But I think that future cruisers will benefit from suggestions here about always packing necessary meds. and extra clothes in your carry on, just in case. You'd be surprised at how many people don't.

I don´t live with the prejudice of the corporations lacking Moral accountability for the most part. Thus I would never take the side of the individual without knowing what was going on. I´m looking at the Statements at Hand, which on here are mostly from the single individual and I surely take them with a grain of salt and I´d be more inclined to side with the Party not being around to defend themselves. But that´s only after I´ve reviewed the Statements.

My view on this case is not that RCI dropped the ball. I don´t deny they could have done things different and better, but most of the blame goes not to RCI in my eyes.

THe Problem is on here we alyways only here one sided reports and I for sure will value my own experiences with a Company way way higher than one sided reports on here. I have no reason to hold RCI accountable for poor customer Service because of reports on here. I work with Facts and experiences. I´m not living in a bubble thinking RCI could never do wrong or I couldn´t be on the receiving end of bad customer Service one day. But I will deal with it then and it will be between me and them, not some Posters on the Internet.

In your book RCI is failing and you don´t see good customer Service with RCI. Fair enough and I would never try to convince you otherwise as it is your opinion and you built it on Facts how you see them with the prejudice of corporations in mind.

I hope you do the right Thing and vote with your wallet after your cruise and give your Business to companies you have a better opinion about.

I´m not commenting about the Story from your Roll Call as I know nothing about it and as I said I won´t side blindly with one side.

I´m not commenting about the Story from your Roll Call as I know nothing about it and as I said I won´t side blindly with one side.

I just read the rollcall and ummgood needs to go back and read the three posts concerning that issue because they don't have it correct.

Can't disagree more!

You are confusing two different aspects of the law. The airline is an independent contractor and Royal Caribbean has no liability for their actions unless Royal Caribbean knew of the airlines' inability to provide the services contracted for ...

The common-law doctrine of Respondeat Superior holds an employer liable for the negligent acts of its employee. Generally, under Common Law, the hiring party is not responsible for the Negligence of an independent contractor. The Restatement (Second) of Torts identifies a few exceptions to this rule. The hiring party may be liable when, owing to its failure to exercise reasonable care to retain a competent and careful contractor, a third party is physically harmed. Also, when an independent contractor acts pursuant to orders or directions negligently given by the hiring party, the latter may be held liable. Notwithstanding the exceptions, the hiring party's risk of liability is greatly reduced by hiring independent contractors rather than employees.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Tort+Liability

When you buy a product from a store (not a service, but a product) the store is in the chain of commerce ...

What is notable about this Rule, if you noticed, is that it makes no distinction between the manufacturer of a defective product and one who just happens to sell it. This meant that the rule of strict liability had been extended to the entire chain of distribution. All that was necessary for liability, in addition to the product being defective and causing injury, was that you had sold it. And because this was liability without the need to show negligence, the seller’s knowledge of the defect was irrelevant.

http://www.marlerclark.com/pdfs/chain-of-distribution-liability.pdf

Since the airline is an independent contractor, Royal Caribbean is not liable for the airline's negligence. However, the law takes a different view of the seller of a product that is defective.

Remember when a San Francisco Giant fan was attacked in the Dodger Stadium parking lot? Whoever the fan bought that ticket from is not liable for the negligence of the Dodgers.

On the other hand, if the fan bought a baseball bat and the bat was defective, the fan could return the bat and the store would have to replace it.

Royal Caribbean sold a service (not a product) to someone. That service was provided by an independent contractor. Royal Caribbean is not legally liable for the negligence of the independent contractor. Now if the passenger had been flying on Royal Caribbean airlines, then yes, Royal Caribbean would be liable.

If Royal Caribbean, or any other company or person, selling airline tickets had sold someone a ticket on a recent Germanwings flight, neither Royal Caribbean nor any other company or person would be liable for that person's death. Germanwings is an independent contractor. If the same thing had happened while the person was flying on Royal Caribbean Airlines, then Royal Caribbean, and only Royal Caribbean would be liable for that person's death. Any other company or person selling that person a ticket would have no legal liability for that person's death.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Wife and I had a similar experience on a RCCL 7 night cruise - we got our luggage on day 4 and 5, and she had packed medications (rookie mistake.)

RCCL was very helpful and made the best of a poor situation, which was not their fault - it was the fault of the airlines.

Fortunately we had travel insurance, and it covered all our expenses (purchased new clothes on the ship)

For those that say that Choice Air is part travel insurance, please direct me to the place on their website where they provide that, as part of an airline ticket purchase. I am unable to find it.

Also, they advertise "assured arrival", not "guaranteed arrival" - big difference.

The only advantage I see is that they will re-ticket you at no cost, to meet the ship at the next port, where the airline may not do that for free.

I do not want to pile on the OP, and I know people have personal reasons against it, but I cannot fathom international travel without a credit (not debit) card.

One of the nice things about this website is you get some good advice, and can learn from other's unfortunate mishaps.

Good luck to you in the future, and I hope your next cruise is much more relaxing and enjoyable.

According to your signature, you´ve been on two RCI Cruises in the past two years, including one on the Adventure lihe the OP. I´d be interested to hear you telling me you had no Soap in your cabin.

I know they don´t provide a whole lot of toiletries in the non-Suite rooms, but I´ve yet to be on a cruise where I didn´t get Soap.

I´m sorry but that Point doesn´t hold too much credit with me and even if Murphy´s law struck and the cabin attendant failed to put Soap in there, I hardly think they had to argue about it.

From what the OP said, inside cabins don't get soap? I didn't know that since I don't do inside cabins. I am taking her word for it.

Edited by BonnieSte

From what the OP said, inside cabins don't get soap? I didn't know that since I don't do inside cabins. I am taking her word for it.

I have not been in an inside cabin either but I find it hard to believe that they don't get soap. And I find it harder to believe that a cabin attendant would say no if asked for some.

I have not been in an inside cabin either but I find it hard to believe that they don't get soap. And I find it harder to believe that a cabin attendant would say no if asked for some.

Every cabin gets a bar of soap for the shower and one for the sink. There is also the dispenser in the shower with shampoo. It's a hotel, for pete's sake.

I completely agree. The OP could not have made it any more clear that they booked their entire package- using Choice Air. There are so many things wrong with what happened to the OP, I can see why they would not want to cruise with RCI again. I don't know that any line is any better.

I have never had a bad experience with RCI or any of their affiliated lines. The only flight related cruise problem I have ever had was returning home after a cruise, booked on Southwest Airlines. ****I BOOKED IT ALL ON MY OWN. NOT TRYING TO BLAME RCI. NOT EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT. THIS WAS ALL MY OWN FAULT FOR BOOKING A BUDGET AIRLINE.****

Anyhow, my husband's luggage was lost. We were assured it was on the next flight in, so we waited around the airport for about three hours. No luggage. It was sent to another city. So we asked the lost luggage lady what the protocol was for how they would contact us when it was found. She looked right at me and said "Lost luggage is part of the joy of flying. That's what you get when you pay for cheap airfare." She told us if we weren't there when the luggage arrived, they would just throw it away. Yes, great way to treat your customers.

I later found out that my neighbor's sister works for Southwest and verified that my luggage would not be "thrown away." (That little twit was a complete moron.)

Well, it's a good thing luggage flies free on Southwest (for the most part). The luggage took a cross country trip twice over. It finally transferred from the custody of Southwest into Fed Ex hands and took another journey up and down the eastern seaboard. I think we finally got it about a week later.

Anyhow, much like the OP- after being treated like garbage, I can say that I will never use that mode of transportation again. I will admit I paid for a budget airline- and it is true- I got exactly what I paid for. Not much.

I hope you will reconsider and give RCI another chance. Our experiences have always been wonderful. As to your diabetes, I know that is nothing to mess with. I cannot believe they were not any more concerned about you than that. So sorry.

Southwest....budget airline. You've got to be kidding. They rank higher in satisfaction than the so called brand name airlines.

Southwest....budget airline. You've got to be kidding. They rank higher in satisfaction than the so called brand name airlines.

That is because they don't promise the world and they deliver what they promise. The other airlines promise you'll feel like a VIP if you fly in their first class. Well, I've flown in in first class, and I didn't feel like a VIP.

I was in a Royal Caribbean suite. Royal made a lot of promises that they fell well short of. However, when I was in a OV cabin, Royal Caribbean didn't make a lot of promises and RC more than held up its end.

Value is getting what you were promised. I've been in an NCL suite and NCL also made a lot of promises, and more then met them. Thus, I felt I got good value from the NCL suite and poor value from the from the RC suite (though very good value from the RC OV cabin). So guess which one gets the higher satisfaction score?

So what exactly do you want the cruise line to do to make this right? The OP was rebooked on a flight. They were put up in a hotel and they met the ship in Barbados. They took care of getting the passenger to the ship.

At no point did the cruise line ever have possession of the luggage, so they couldn't get it to the passenger. The airline lost the luggage so short of having Royal Caribbean send a crew member to every airport that American Airlines serves, what would you like the cruise line to do?

I don't work for RCL, or the airline, its not my job to take care of a customer RCL sold a product to, and didn't deliver!

RCL sold that product, they are responsible!

All you're doing is making excuses!

But if it were up to me, I'd give the OP a free cruise.

In general, I have found that customer service tends to go out the window once a company has your money.

I can see how one would be fooled by the assurance that one would arrive in time for their cruise. I book my own cruises and flights because I am a control freak, or a pessimist.

We pack carry on only for flights for the same reason.

I am sorry the OP had a negative vacation experience. I have learned from it.

For some of us vacations are few and far between.

I hope that you will have smooth sailing on future vacations.

Totally agree.

We also don't trust airlines or cruise line with our meds., and we always pack a carry on with an extra set of clothes even for a cruise embarkation.

We hope RCL will give the OP a free cruise, and hope they'll enjoy any future cruises.

I don't work for RCL, or the airline, its not my job to take care of a customer RCL sold a product to, and didn't deliver!

RCL sold that product, they are responsible!

All you're doing is making excuses!

But if it were up to me, I'd give the OP a free cruise.

Royal Caribbean did not sell a product. The OP did not buy an airplane or a ship. Royal Caribbean sold a service. The service was provided in part by an independent contractor (the airline) and in part by Royal Caribbean (the cruise). Royal Caribbean did what it said it would do. Granted, no more and not in a customer friendly way. But nonetheless, it did do what it said it would do.

Royal Caribbean has no liability or responsibility for the actions of the independent contractor (the airline) unless Royal Caribbean knew ahead of time that the airline was not capable of delivering what was being contracted for.

Plaintiff injured in grocery store in aisle where flooring contractor was preparing work. General rule regarding liability of owner for negligence of independent contractor is that owner who employs independent contractors is not liable for injuries to third persons caused by the contractor’s negligence.

http://www.brienrochelaw.com/tort-law/tort-case-law/i/independent-contractors/

Edited by Cuizer2

Sorry you had a bad experience. Wife and I had a similar experience on a RCCL 7 night cruise - we got our luggage on day 4 and 5, and she had packed medications (rookie mistake.)

RCCL was very helpful and made the best of a poor situation, which was not their fault - it was the fault of the airlines.

Fortunately we had travel insurance, and it covered all our expenses (purchased new clothes on the ship)

For those that say that Choice Air is part travel insurance, please direct me to the place on their website where they provide that, as part of an airline ticket purchase. I am unable to find it.

Also, they advertise "assured arrival", not "guaranteed arrival" - big difference.

The only advantage I see is that they will re-ticket you at no cost, to meet the ship at the next port, where the airline may not do that for free.

I do not want to pile on the OP, and I know people have personal reasons against it, but I cannot fathom international travel without a credit (not debit) card.

One of the nice things about this website is you get some good advice, and can learn from other's unfortunate mishaps.

Good luck to you in the future, and I hope your next cruise is much more relaxing and enjoyable.

This should have been the final post on this thread. I trust that one day I will be on a cruise with this poster - not so much most of the rest of you people.

Have a good day :)

You are confusing two different aspects of the law. The airline is an independent contractor and Royal Caribbean has no liability for their actions unless Royal Caribbean knew of the airlines' inability to provide the services contracted for ...

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Tort+Liability

When you buy a product from a store (not a service, but a product) the store is in the chain of commerce ...

http://www.marlerclark.com/pdfs/chain-of-distribution-liability.pdf

Since the airline is an independent contractor, Royal Caribbean is not liable for the airline's negligence. However, the law takes a different view of the seller of a product that is defective.

Remember when a San Francisco Giant fan was attacked in the Dodger Stadium parking lot? Whoever the fan bought that ticket from is not liable for the negligence of the Dodgers.

On the other hand, if the fan bought a baseball bat and the bat was defective, the fan could return the bat and the store would have to replace it.

Royal Caribbean sold a service (not a product) to someone. That service was provided by an independent contractor. Royal Caribbean is not legally liable for the negligence of the independent contractor. Now if the passenger had been flying on Royal Caribbean airlines, then yes, Royal Caribbean would be liable.

If Royal Caribbean, or any other company or person, selling airline tickets had sold someone a ticket on a recent Germanwings flight, neither Royal Caribbean nor any other company or person would be liable for that person's death. Germanwings is an independent contractor. If the same thing had happened while the person was flying on Royal Caribbean Airlines, then Royal Caribbean, and only Royal Caribbean would be liable for that person's death. Any other company or person selling that person a ticket would have no legal liability for that person's death.

Actually I'm not, its called 'chain of responsibility'.

RCL is responsible to the OP, the contractor is responsible to RCL.

Edited by American Bear