Foreign currency

dickinson

I have looked and have only been able to get a chip and signature card in the USA. The pin is only if you want a cash withdrawal from your CC. Is that what you are referring to?

I was told the US banks do not have the technology but will in the future, but no date when that will happen.

If someone has as chip and PIN card for the USA can you enlighten us where we can get this? It would be helpful for foreign travel.........thanks!!! :)

For Europe, I always order some ahead of time through https://www.wellsfargo.com/foreign-exchange/. If that doesn't cover what we need, then I'll use an ATM while there.

Just remember that you won't get your usual daily limit out of an ATM machine. For example, if your daily limit is $300 US Dollars, you may only get 150GBP due to the exchange rate and fees. 150GBP doesn't get you very far so that means multiple trips to ATM machines when you could be doing something safer and more fun. ;)

Off topic, and perhaps showing my ignorance but is $300 a day a fairly typical daily limit in USA :eek:

Rick Steves had a good tip for ATMs - withdraw an odd amount like E240 instead of E200 or E300. That way you will get small bills.

I do that all the time at home, our ATM's are all 50s and 20s so if I get $1000 it's 20 x $50 but $1010, is 19 X 50 and 3 X 20

Off topic, and perhaps showing my ignorance but is $300 a day a fairly typical daily limit in USA :eek:

Wells Fargo lets me set my daily limit. I change it when I leave the US and change it back when I return.

I have looked and have only been able to get a chip and signature card in the USA. The pin is only if you want a cash withdrawal from your CC. Is that what you are referring to?

I was told the US banks do not have the technology but will in the future, but no date when that will happen.

If someone has as chip and PIN card for the USA can you enlighten us where we can get this? It would be helpful for foreign travel.........thanks!!! :)

It's usually $500 or $700 for ATM withdrawals.

Thanks CI66774

Another dumb question, based on Cruisercl's reply I quoted that most CC's are chip and sign, not chip and PIN, how do you get the $$$$ out.

Here you slip your card into the ATM, enter your PIN, how much you want and [hopefully if herself hasn't spent it all] out pop the $$$$.

Sorry to be ignorant, but I am puzzled how t works without a PIN.

Hi

You will find more ATMs in Europe than in US, all large super markets have them,

petrol stations, post offices, lots of them about.

We prefer to us pre paid debit cards give very good exchange rates, we have a Euro and Dollar card used them for years, when getting low just log into acount and transfer some more funds.

yours Shogun

Really?

Same in Australia, everywhere some though will charge a fee, but they tell you the fee before you finish the transaction, most Pubs have them, I doubt you would be more than a couple of hundred yards [if that] from one in any major city here.

If you have a debit card, pretty much any shop, service station [sorry gas station] etc will give you cash out, even McDonalds.

Wells Fargo lets me set my daily limit. I change it when I leave the US and change it back when I return.

Pretty sure we can change ours, was just shocked if $300 was the Norm, pretty low, but then I was looking the other day at average earnings etc and that would have a big impact, was shocked how low it was said to be in USA, but then things cost a lot less too.

Really?

Just be aware the fees charged may be a shock-several $$ per time, possibly with a limit on how much you can withdraw. That's the case in my local hotel-there is an ATM machine, but I was told a maximum per day withdrawal of $200 and a $3 per transaction fee. I have to pass the bank on my way down, I just use their ATM, HTH.

Corchetcruise :cool:

Rick Steves had a good tip for ATMs - withdraw an odd amount like E240 instead of E200 or E300. That way you will get small bills.

THANK YOU!I must remember this, splitting my fortnightly payment into 2 withdrawals if necessary. Have had some difficulty "sorting" the cash to pay individual bills, as cash denominations weren't what I needed. I honestly hadn't thought of an odd sum of the withdrawal yielding some small bills.

Cruise Critic to the rescue yet again:D

Crochetcruise :cool:

Just be aware the fees charged may be a shock-several $$ per time, possibly with a limit on how much you can withdraw. That's the case in my local hotel-there is an ATM machine, but I was told a maximum per day withdrawal of $200 and a $3 per transaction fee. I have to pass the bank on my way down, I just use their ATM, HTH.

Oh I am more then aware. :eek:

Pretty much the same in Aus $2 or so per withdrawal at the oens in the PUB etc, worth checking with your bank there are often tie ins between USA banks, UK Banks and Aus banks that you can get fee free from some locations.

Barclay Arrivals + card has optional PIN in addition to the chip/sign (I think they've added their Hawaiian air and Apple cards too) for use in the standalone kiosks. There are mixed reviews on it working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Barclaycard arrival + which has chip & pin technology. When you first arrive overseas, use it once with signature to activate the PIN. I do not use it for cash advance. The PIN component comes in handy for making purchases at kiosks.

Darcy

Thanks CI66774

Another dumb question, based on Cruisercl's reply I quoted that most CC's are chip and sign, not chip and PIN, how do you get the $$$$ out.

While CC's in the US are 'signature' dependent, you can obtain a PIN for your CC from the issuing bank. This will allow withdrawal of $$ at an exorbitantly high interest rate.

Which is why the vast majority of folks who use an ATM in the US are obtaining cash using their 'debit' or 'ATM' card, which is linked to their bank account....hence there is no interest rate involved, only a 'per-visit' usage fee. These 'ATM' or 'debit' cards have always been and still are, used with a PIN.

Side note: There was an interesting news item the other day. It seems some high person in the Walmart organization made the statement that the chip n signature system currently being put in place in the US is "worthless" as far as stopping fraud.

Edited by thinfool

I recently got one with chip and pin through Andrews Federal Credit Union. Had to join the American Consumer Counsel to qualify, but that was painless and easy. Then I had to open a savings account with a $5 deposit to become a member of the credit union. So I had to jump through some hoops but it was easy and they walked me through all the steps. No annual fee and no foreign transaction fees. https://www.andrewsfcu.org/credit_cards_and_loans/credit_cards/platinum_rewards.html

Haven't used it yet as we don't travel until September but I have no doubts that it will work fine in Europe.

In Europe many people have a bank card with their regular account - it is similar to your debit card. These cards come with PIN for years. Creditcards were a little bit uncommon - because there was not so much need for them - because nearly everybody has this bank card.

People travelling a lot surely have credit cards. And we use them for years with these "stamping" things. Than it changed to the "swiping" machines - you have to sign on the copy or at the display.

Since two or three years the companies changed into the PIN System. They started in countries where they had a lot of credit card fraud. My first experience was at spain and italy during our cruise 2012. I had tickets for Sagrada Familia booked with my creditcard and was not able to collect them, because I did not remember my PIN (never need it before). I was able to collect the ticket at the counter of the church with my written confirmation.

(Now you can print your ticket at home - at 2012 you should collect them at the caixa bank ATM)

We noticed, that we needed the PIN at Hop On Hop Off Ticket Booth in Spain and Italy too, for a day ticket to public transport at Barcelona and on many occasions too.

Not a big issue - because my friend knows his PIN - in other case it could be very disappointing!

Last year we were on a baltic cruise - and you need the PIN for a train ticket at copenhagen airport (local train to the city), public transport at Helsinki, shopping Stockholm.

It seems that more and more shops change to this system.

I also notice that I need the PIN at home - for example at the gas station. (in Germany)

So I just want to warn you that it could be very uncomfortable if you have no one.

Wendy

Edited by Wendy-Europe

It's only really an issue at automated stations--train tickets, for example. You will have to use cash or else find a live teller who can swipe the card.

Not everyone who takes your card will be familiar with swiping it nor with the fact that you don't have a PIN. If they stick the card in the bottom of the machine, they are expecting it to be chip and PIN. Just ask them to swipe it. If they ask you to enter your PIN, just hit enter--don't use your actual ATM-style PIN, unless you really have a chip and PIN card, which is rare in the US as everyone has noted.

While CC's in the US are 'signature' dependent, you can obtain a PIN for your CC from the issuing bank. This will allow withdrawal of $$ at an exorbitantly high interest rate.

Which is why the vast majority of folks who use an ATM in the US are obtaining cash using their 'debit' or 'ATM' card, which is linked to their bank account....hence there is no interest rate involved, only a 'per-visit' usage fee. These 'ATM' or 'debit' cards have always been and still are, used with a PIN.

Side note: There was an interesting news item the other day. It seems some high person in the Walmart organization made the statement that the chip n signature system currently being put in place in the US is "worthless" as far as stopping fraud.

Thanks, we do pretty much the same here re debit/credit and for the same reasons.

I don't see how the chip card prevents fraud.

I don't see how the chip card prevents fraud.

It works because a matching reference to your pin number is encrypted on the chip. ALL point of sale transactions read the chip and require you to enter your pin number. If the two don't match you have three attempts and then the card is blocked.

Fraudsters cannot now simply steal your card and fake a signature, they need BOTH the original card, or a sophisticated clone of the card, AND your PIN number.

Point of Sale fraud its therefore much more difficult. It still exists though it is now based on either:

secret cameras and card readers installed over the existing ATM card reader,

or, following theft of the card,

telephone impersonation of your bank in an attempt to get you to disclose your PIN number.

We are all, however made very aware that our banks will NEVER - IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ask us to disclose our PIN number to their representatives.

The big problem with chip and pin is that we cannot use our cards to fill up in 24/24 US gas stations as the system requires the users to know the billing ZIP code of the card meaning that only North American citizens can use a 24/24 gas station.

Chip and signature / stripe and ZIP code are far less secure than chip and pin as, unlike PIN number, a pickpocket is highly likely to find the ZIP code printed on something in the wallet he has just stolen and a signature is rarely checked by the sales person.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Hi Chip and Pin is quite secure but needs high speed broad band to work well, Have been to the same petrol station three times in one day, while using my card for the third time my mobile went it was the card company asking if l knew where my card was likewise when using a business card for an odd purchase the card company spotted it and called while using card, Have had odd calls just asking to confirm last purchase yours Shogun

For our upcoming Baltic Cruise, was able to get both a Chip & Pin Visa card and foreign currency from Wells Fargo. The website advertises 2 business days for most currencies. Ordered Russian rubles (14 business days) and in spite of that got everything in 3 calendar days. FEDEX

OP - don't worry - I went on the Europe/Baltics cruise last years (26 days) without a PIN or "chip" credit card. Never had a problem anywhere. If someone asked for my PIN, I just said I don't have one and they processed the purchase normally. I went to Russian, Sweden, Finland, Norway, etc. and never had a problem.

In Europe many people have a bank card with their regular account - it is similar to your debit card. These cards come with PIN for years. Creditcards were a little bit uncommon - because there was not so much need for them - because nearly everybody has this bank card.

People travelling a lot surely have credit cards. And we use them for years with these "stamping" things. Than it changed to the "swiping" machines - you have to sign on the copy or at the display.

Since two or three years the companies changed into the PIN System. They started in countries where they had a lot of credit card fraud. My first experience was at spain and italy during our cruise 2012. I had tickets for Sagrada Familia booked with my creditcard and was not able to collect them, because I did not remember my PIN (never need it before). I was able to collect the ticket at the counter of the church with my written confirmation.

(Now you can print your ticket at home - at 2012 you should collect them at the caixa bank ATM)

We noticed, that we needed the PIN at Hop On Hop Off Ticket Booth in Spain and Italy too, for a day ticket to public transport at Barcelona and on many occasions too.

Not a big issue - because my friend knows his PIN - in other case it could be very disappointing!

Last year we were on a baltic cruise - and you need the PIN for a train ticket at copenhagen airport (local train to the city), public transport at Helsinki, shopping Stockholm.

It seems that more and more shops change to this system.

I also notice that I need the PIN at home - for example at the gas station. (in Germany)

So I just want to warn you that it could be very uncomfortable if you have no one.

Wendy

Not quite accurate - all you have to do is say you don't have a PIN, and the purchase will be processed normally. I shopped in Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg without a PIN or even a CHIP card and never had one issue.

Unless your day job is as a currency trader, don't go through the hassle or waste your money getting foreign currency before you go. The exchange rate your bank will give you will probably not be good and the foreign transaction fee lousy as well. Don't even think about using AAA for this either - unbelievable rip-off. Overall my recommendations for travel in Europe are:

- Get a credit card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee. There aren’t many of them out there but a few are Capital One, United’s Explorer card, and Charles Schwab. I have both United and Capital One’s card. I use CapOne almost exclusively as their exchange rate is favorable and combine that with no foreign transaction fee I have saved money. Not uncommon to see issuers charge a 4% fee on each transaction. You absolutely want to check each card because they do differ. Credit Unions sometimes are more favorable than banks. Also, CapOne just started issuing chip enabled cards.

- Make sure all credit cards you take have a 4 digit PIN code. In some parts of Europe it is pretty common to have to enter the PIN for your transactions. And yes, even if your card does not have a chip, you can get a PIN for the card. Check the issuer’s web site or call their customer service number. It is very easy to get a PIN assigned. Even if your card does not have a chip, getting the PIN assigned will make transactions easier.

- leave your AmEx at home. Visa and MasterCard are by far more popular. I usually take one of each.

- Europe is not as credit card crazy as the US. I found this especially true in Italy and Greece. Always check and make sure credit cards are accepted. Usually the decal is on the door or window before you go in. Smaller places frequently are cash only.

- Use your ATM for cash. I usually take the max out if I am going to be hit with a withdrawal fee. Check with your bank and see if they have any alliances with foreign banks. Bank of America has a few in Europe and that saves some money if I use those bank's ATMs. There are ATMs all over the place including the airport. Get your cash when you arrive. There will likely be a transaction fee from your bank so check that as well. Bank of America’s is 3% but the exchange rate is still more favorable than one of the currency exchanges at the airport.

- I’ve actually had 2 24-hour layovers in London and both times I managed to explore London, sight see, and eat and never used any pounds. Used my Capital One credit card exclusively.

- Always have the merchant charge in local currency. For example, if you are in London have them charge your card in pounds. Your issuer will give you a better exchange rate than the merchant. The sales person at Harrods tried to convince me to charge my purchase in pounds because the exchange rate was better which I knew was not correct.

- Call all issuers/banks before you leave letting them know which countries you will be in and when. Do this to avoid them stopping the transaction because of possible fraud.

- I do take some US currency with me as a backup. Nothing larger than $20 bills.

- use this site. http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/ for reference before you go and during your travels.

-and finally, AVOID the ship's ATM. Awful exchange rate plus terrible fees. Use these only if you are desperate or are a little leery of the security of this type of transaction in a foreign country (for me that was Russia).