Foreign currency

dickinson

When you go on a cruise that goes to several different countries overseas how do you deal with foreign currency? Do you purchase some before you go (and if so where do you find the best deals) or just hope you find an ATM in your travels. I have heard that the ship does not have very good exchange rates. Thanks.

As said most Caribbean countries take dollars. We have never had a problem there.

In Europe it is a different story. For my next cruise I have bought some British pounds and euros. I bought it locally from a bank here in Anchorage.

Right now the euro is down compared to the dollar and it is a great time to buy euros.

Edited by AKman2495

we're going to Europe. I know ATM is a good place but I should have some euros and pounds before we go until I can go to an ATM. There are tips for excursions or a small snack to be bought before an ATM is found.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For Europe, I always order some ahead of time through https://www.wellsfargo.com/foreign-exchange/. If that doesn't cover what we need, then I'll use an ATM while there.

Just remember that you won't get your usual daily limit out of an ATM machine. For example, if your daily limit is $300 US Dollars, you may only get 150GBP due to the exchange rate and fees. 150GBP doesn't get you very far so that means multiple trips to ATM machines when you could be doing something safer and more fun. ;)

I use a bank ATM for foreign currency. With multiple ATM cards, both DH and I can use alternate accounts if we should need a large am't of cash in one day - usually necessary when we have to pay cash for private tours.

We will be in London, taking LHR Express to Paddington Station. Our US bank belongs to the same network as many banks in the UK and their web site shows me there's an ATM at Paddington I can use without any additional fees. In addition, my bank will recourse any fees up to $25./month when I'm overseas.

Other than cash for tours and small purchases, we'll be using credit cards throughout our trip. Be sure to notify your bank and credit card companies of your upcoming travel. Hopefully, you are using credit cards that do not have any foreign transaction fees and have a micro chip in them. I do have one card that has chip & pin technology - very helpful at kiosks, train stations, etc.

Darcy

Again, where are you going? Mexico, Bahamas and the Caribbean all accept US$. We also found that US$ were accepted in some South Pacific islands. If in Europe or South America you require local currency for cash purchases. We normally plan by port. For example if we are taking a ship's tour then payment is in US$. Some private tours also accept US $. Credit cards work almost everywhere. In Europe the credit card with the embedded chip & PIN No. is almost universal. However, you can use the signature cards.

In Europe we pre purchase some local currency for our first country to handle arrival tips, taxis, quick meals, some bulky supplies that we don't pack, etc. Additional cash we get from ATM's.

we're going to Europe. I know ATM is a good place but I should have some euros and pounds before we go until I can go to an ATM. There are tips for excursions or a small snack to be bought before an ATM is found.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You will find more than one ATM ready to serve your needs before you leave Baggage Claim at your arriving airport.

Hi

You will find more ATMs in Europe than in US, all large super markets have them,

petrol stations, post offices, lots of them about.

We prefer to us pre paid debit cards give very good exchange rates, we have a Euro and Dollar card used them for years, when getting low just log into acount and transfer some more funds.

yours Shogun

When you go on a cruise that goes to several different countries overseas how do you deal with foreign currency? Do you purchase some before you go (and if so where do you find the best deals) or just hope you find an ATM in your travels. I have heard that the ship does not have very good exchange rates. Thanks.

We don't exchange monies abroad. We use either our ATM card when you can find the appropriate banks that will use them (some ports don't have banks that will allow overseas ATM useage. But now we opted for a Princess Visa with no foreign transaction fees. the banks would charge us 3% on all our purchases and it added up in fees.

Hope this helps:)

We won't be at an airport til we leave. We are going on a TA and then doing a b2b around the British Isles. We are doing ship excursions because we just booked this a couple of weeks ago and leaving in a month. I don't have time to do research and the roll calls have already filled private tours. We will need money to tip the tour guides and if we want to buy a small something while on the tour. At the end of our cruise we are going on a private tour and then up to London for a couple of days.

As for ATM… I have been told to use one at a bank in order to be safe from various perils :(

Our only credit card that does not have a foreign transaction fee does not have a chip. They said we could still use it in Europe but they would have to enter info manually. Is this true? Anyone have a problem not having a chip?

The only place we ever had the slightest bit of trouble not having a chip card was in the Baltic countries, but even then they had a different way of entering the card. If you have a Charles Scwab debit card, they refund the ATM fees and give you a decent exchange rate, so we just take that along and stop at the first ATM we see.

I use a bank ATM for foreign currency. With multiple ATM cards, both DH and I can use alternate accounts if we should need a large am't of cash in one day - usually necessary when we have to pay cash for private tours.

We will be in London, taking LHR Express to Paddington Station. Our US bank belongs to the same network as many banks in the UK and their web site shows me there's an ATM at Paddington I can use without any additional fees. In addition, my bank will recourse any fees up to $25./month when I'm overseas.

Other than cash for tours and small purchases, we'll be using credit cards throughout our trip. Be sure to notify your bank and credit card companies of your upcoming travel. Hopefully, you are using credit cards that do not have any foreign transaction fees and have a micro chip in them. I do have one card that has chip & pin technology - very helpful at kiosks, train stations, etc.

Darcy

I've done the same thing - taken the Express to Paddington. The ATMs are on the right hand side just as you're exiting the massive, extremely busy station. If I remember correctly, there were 2 in one section and another right by the door.

Traveling by myself, dragging 70 lbs. of luggage, wearing a heavy jacket and holding an umbrella too, I was really glad to see a policeman watching activity at the ATM.

I usually pick up some foreign currency at my main Wells Fargo office. They usually stock quite a bit of Euros, Yen and other foreign currency. If I want a large amount or something unique (rubles), I call ahead 3 days and they will have it.

I budget carefully and know how much I will need for each port. I buy what I need before (the bank will always buy back what you don't spend). At least you know you can go ashore confident that you can buy something/get a taxi. Who knows where you'll find an ATM or if they are working.

I always take Euros, Pounds with me so I don't have to find an ATM right away but I use my card, too. My local regional bank has Euros on hand, which surprised me. In fact, for my Oct. Med/TA, I might get some now as the Euro and dollar is almost even last time I checked.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure, if you are still thinking about your "problem" - it isn ´t one.

Trust me - if you tip your guide in US$ they will not have any problems to accept this tip.

Of course - if you have the local currency in your pocket - it is the better way. But most people working in the travel industry are used to get tip in different currencies. (if it is a usual one like Euro, US-Dollar or UK-Pound).

I would "stay" with Euro and US-$, if you just have one or two british port. Many british people do weekend-trips to the continent and have a lot of opportunities to spend Euros.

If you would like to buy souvenirs - pay with your credit card. It is more than common everywhere in Europa - but be prepared to have you Pin-Code - it become more usual to validate the payments with Pin-Code (I have to learn this at Barcelone 2 years ago... I was unable to pay anything with my card during our whole trip)

We have no chip and pin card. Our main card we will use (has no foreign transaction fee) doesn't even have a chip. They have said we should have no problem because the info can be entered manually. We will have a back up card but that has a chip with no pin. We bought Euros and Pounds to cover our tips but nothing extra for restaurants as we plan on using credit cards there. We generally don't buy souvenirs and all our tours and HOHO buses etc have been prepaid onto our credit card.

We have no chip and pin card. Our main card we will use (has no foreign transaction fee) doesn't even have a chip. They have said we should have no problem because the info can be entered manually. We will have a back up card but that has a chip with no pin. We bought Euros and Pounds to cover our tips but nothing extra for restaurants as we plan on using credit cards there. We generally don't buy souvenirs and all our tours and HOHO buses etc have been prepaid onto our credit card.

Used both all over Italy/Spain/France/Greece and have not had any issues.

I get my foreign money from a gold/coin exchange place before I go. He gives me a much better exchange rate then the banks or AAA. He also has different denominations. It is a crap shoot because he sells what people turn in to him so you never know how much. When I got my Euros I got large right down to the smallest and some coins as well. Worked out great for me. I just traded them back in to him when I returned.

We were on the Sun Princess in Australia/Fiji in Feb.

Not only were the Princess exchange rates terrible, they were charging a $6 (aud) fee on top of that. They should have had a mask and a gun at those rates.

We passed.