Shame on you rcl

I am so disatisfied with rcl at this time..i booked months ago through them not using a ta for an oceanview room.during the booking process i stated my kids age being 5.then months passed and i found out via cruise critic(never via rcl) that my kid can not use the pullman on the cabin and that one of the adults must use the pullman instead..when i found that i emailed rcl and told them that i can not accept that.i dont want to sleep on a pullman bed and neither does my wife..i told them at the time of booking there was never stated that there would be this restriction.as well as that there was nothing written on the rcl site about this..then their reply was sorry but sleep on the pullman yourself...its my first rcl cruise and probable my last..i feel tgey mislead me and their reply was totally unacceptable..if i was outside cancellation period then i would have cancelled and never ever book again with them...i didnt pay so much money just to sleep on a pullman bed..thats not WOW RCL that totally RIDICULOUS

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Because if the child is less than 6 its not suggested by rcl and there is a pic here statibg as well that its forbidden..i am not going to put my kids safety in jeopardy so that rcl makes money..they told me yep you cant put the child there.

Its my first rcl cruise not my first cruise..i dont want to use the pullman bed.i didnt pay to use the pullman bed..if they told me this from the begining i would have book another room

They didnt offer me this option..they didnt offer me an upsell or anything else..i asked to send me their resolution department email or a supervisors email and they havent sent me a reply after that..still waiting..very slow response from them

Are there no ov cabins with a sofabed for the third person available? I'd check on a ta site showing available cabins and phone back asking to speak to resolutions

Edited by suekay

While it´s unfortunate for you, I can´t really see any fault here with RCI and their rep, unless you very specifically pointed out that it absolutely has to be your kid sleeping in the bunk bed.

Your booking is perfectly fine, the cabin can acommodate your Party, it´s just not to your liking in regards to sleeping Arrangements.

RCI and their reps are not mind Readers, knowing it won´t be acceptable to you to have one of the adults sleep in the bunk.

I understand your disappointment, but perhaps you could swap to a room with a fold down sofa, or one of you could just put up with the Pullman for a while. People do it all the time. If you really don't want to do that, consider an upgrade to a room that meets your needs.

I agree with OP on this one. Surely it's common sense and OBVIOUS that a couple would want to share the double bed, and have the kid sleep on the pullman? Come on... there's a bit of blind Royal Caribbean defending here.

My boyfriend and I don't have a child, but if we did I would assume that the child would be able to sleep on the pullman bed and we'd share a bed, unless it specifically stated that on the booking site at which point I'd think again! There's no way one of us would forgo the comforts of a double bed/sleeping together.

OP: Is there someone you could call about it and suggest that they might have an alternative room? Maybe a customer service number for Royal Caribbean in your country instead of trying their email support? I know they're notoriously appalling at customer service (so I've heard) but it might be worth a go if you get a quicker response. Good luck :)

The first time we cruised with Royal Caribbean we had 2 children with us. Before we booked we researched what rooms would be suitable. We knew there were rooms that could accommodate 4 people (with 2 Pullman beds) and some rooms that had sofa beds. When we booked we told them the age of our daughter and asked if she could sleep on one of the pullmans. They said no, she's too young. We suspected she wouldn't be able to as there are usually restrictions on young children sleeping in upper bunk beds here on land. We decided that hubby would have to sleep on one of the pullmans. After the first night, we realised the beds were actually larger than our bed at home. There was enough room in the bed for the three of us. For the rest of the cruise, that's what we did. She slept in the bed with us. We plan on doing the same again on our upcoming cruise. Not sure if you're keen on doing this, but just thought I would mention it so you're aware that you have another option.

How would they know who sleeps on which bed? If you are fine with your child on the Pullman just let them sleep there regardless of what they say. Am I missing something?

A bit risky if the ship encounters rough seas or a rogue wave in the middle of the night and the young child falls off the Pullman bed.

How would they know who sleeps on which bed? If you are fine with your child on the Pullman just let them sleep there regardless of what they say. Am I missing something?

I assume OP cares about the safety of his child...

A bit risky if the ship encounters rough seas or a rogue wave in the middle of the night and the young child falls off the Pullman bed.

As someone suggested, why not have the child sleep with the parents. It's not that does not happen at home.

Ps. I learned something new now. On the 2/2/16 Quantum cruise I saw this opening above the bed and was ecstatic at the add'l storage space. Now I realize that it is a Pullman/bunk bed. LOL

Edited by nelblu
add'l data

If you are in an OV cabin without a connecting door, you should have a love seat in the room that could easily accommodate your 5 year old. Just ask the steward to get rid of the coffee table and give you sheets, blankets and pillows so your child can sleep there. Not ideal, but for one child it could work well and you won't have the obstruction of an open sofabed at night.

We took our grandson (7) in an oceanview room with a Pullman bunk. Here in Australia the national safety standard recommends bunks unsuitable for under 9's. On the Voyager, oceanview room, we slightly rearranged the furniture and put the Pullman mattress on the floor at night. There was enough room for it to be tucked into a corner and we put it back onto the Pullman in the morning (unmade). Not too much bother and safer for the little one. We were never told he couldn't sleep on the Pullman by RCI nor on another cruise on Princess. Most on land travel accommodations here will tell you that bunks are unsuitable for under 9's.

I am so disatisfied with rcl at this time..i booked months ago through them not using a ta for an oceanview room.during the booking process i stated my kids age being 5.then months passed and i found out via cruise critic(never via rcl) that my kid can not use the pullman on the cabin and that one of the adults must use the pullman instead..when i found that i emailed rcl and told them that i can not accept that.i dont want to sleep on a pullman bed and neither does my wife..i told them at the time of booking there was never stated that there would be this restriction.as well as that there was nothing written on the rcl site about this..then their reply was sorry but sleep on the pullman yourself...its my first rcl cruise and probable my last..i feel tgey mislead me and their reply was totally unacceptable..if i was outside cancellation period then i would have cancelled and never ever book again with them...i didnt pay so much money just to sleep on a pullman bed..thats not WOW RCL that totally RIDICULOUS

OK mistakes on both parts. Royal didn't ask where everyone would be sleeping (why should they) and you didn't research the cabin you booked. The cat G's all have pullmans I think. The only other cabin outside are FO cabins. They are family ocean views and are awesome. They sleep up to 6 and you won't know what to do with all the room (and beds). Cost to upgrade depends on what you pd, but I'd be all over it as these cabins are not available to parties of under 5 until close to the cruise.

Another option? No way for Royal to know who sleeps in the pullman, but if you feel it is unsafe for your child even with lots of rolled up blankets against the bar, make a bed on the floor. My kid used to love making his own little tents on the floor next to his bed.

I researched my room before booking..i saw that my kid would be on a pullman bed and that was fine with me...now that they told me that its forbidden for him and only after learning about that on cruisecritic and not by them while booking i say that i would have changed rooms while booking...this restriction is NOWHERE stated on rcl website.they are misleading.its far too OBVIOUS that i want to share the bed with my wife..if nothing else changes on my booking i will definitely share the bed with my son as well since his safety is very important for me..i just feel that i was misled by rcl and that this is no good commercial practice on their behalf.i am going to complain as much as possible about this and maybe reach as high as possible on their management ladder..because i believe thats wrong from them..they just care filling up berths getting money thats no way good customer service ob their behalf

Oh for crying out loud, grow up already! Sorry, I don't usually get name-cally on threads here, but this "rant" is absolutely ridiculous.

The OP was PERFECTLY FINE with their 5yo sleeping on the Pullman when they originally made the reservation, but NOW they have a problem with it????

And don't give me that "it's not safe if they hit rough seas" baloney -- a small child is NOT going to be thrown out of a Pullman bed unless the ship turns over like the Concordia, plain and simple. At that point, it's not going to matter who was sleeping on which bed -- you'll all be underwater and swimming for the door.

This is simply sour grapes on the part of the OP -- they want something for nothing, at least that's my opinion. The only reason that the cut-off for sleeping in the Pullman is 6yo is because some pencil-pusher in the Risk Management department of the cruise line's insurance company chose that number.

THERE IS NOTHING MAGICAL ABOUT THE AGE OF SIX! :rolleyes:

I know kids who can sleep safely in a Pullman at age three, and I know kids whose judgment I wouldn't trust to not do something stupid (like jump out instead of using the ladder) at age twelve. The age of six is nothing more than a number.

And before anyone asks, my own son slept in the Pullman at age three and age four (two different cruises on two different lines) -- he loved his "special bunk bed"!

And the room was set up such that the Pullman was above the double bed anyway, so if he did intentionally make himself fall out of bed (the only way he was going to "fall out" -- there is a railing on those things, you know!), he would have landed on the double bed right underneath him.

OP, just grow up. If your kid is afraid to sleep in a Pullman, you shouldn't have booked one. If you're afraid to have your kid sleep in a Pullman, you shouldn't have booked one. Otherwise, put your kid wherever you want (the kid can even sleep on the floor -- kids can and will sleep anywhere, with or without a sheet / blanket / pillow!) and simply enjoy your cruise!