storage in solstice balcony cabin?

louieboy

We will be on the Solstice Hawaii to Vancouver in a few weeks on an 11 day cruise and plan on doing laundry at some point but was wondering what is available for storage of non-hanging clothes. Are there drawers in the desk big enough to store t-shirts and shorts? Does the closet have any drawers or shelves? I know that there are cabinets above the bed but I'm not that tall and I'm afraid that I would have to stand on the bed to reach which on a moving ship, and with my luck, I would be in the infirmary :eek:

Also, where is the safe located? Is it in the desk area or in the closet? Is it opened with a combination or should I bring a card with a magnetic strip to open?

One more question, are there footstools on the balcony.

Sorry for all the questions, but it's been a long time since we have sailed Celebrity and only the second time on a balcony

Thanks all.

The safe is in the closet and is a 5 number combination which is set every time you close the safe. There are sufficient drawers for clothes for a 11 day stay providing one doesn't go overboard. We washed our clothes every couple of days and hung them out on the balcony to dry. If you are doing this bring a line 4 metres long and some pegs.

A microfiber towel which can be used to absorb excess water when one wrings out the clothes would be of use as well.

There are 4 ( I think) drawers in the cabinet below the TV . Not very deep but will hold some things like t-shirts, socks, undies. I hang our shorts since the drawers don't work well for them. No drawers in the closet. There is quite a bit of storage in the bath so I use some of the cabinet space for work out clothes or swimsuits.

I also bring a few magnetic hooks & put them on the wall to hang DH's jacket, robes, and other bulky items.

I can't recall if the safe is in the closet or above the mini bar, but it uses a code not a magnetic strip.

Footstools come with Conciegre class cabinets & above.

We pack using packing cubes. I leave my tops and underwear in the packs on the settee. The size I use is 15 X 12 inches and 8 inches deep. I separate day tops and evening tops into different cubes and label them. There is still room to sit on the settee. I am short and don't like standing on the bed to reach the shelf above it. The huge advantage is that I can pack my case in about 10 minutes while my husband takes about an hour or more! The drawers are not big enough to put folded clothes in. There is a lot of storage in the bathroom, but you would not want to keep clothes in there as they would get damp.

One other tip is to take a couple of those very lightweight plastic baskets to keep on the very small bedside tables. I keep my contact lenses, glasses, bits and pieces in it. The ideal size is 7 X 11 inches and 6 inches deep.

You will also need something to hang your washing on.

In our stateroom, the safe was located above the refrigerator in the desk unit. You enter a 4 digit code of your choosing to open and close. In that unit, there are 3 good sized draws.

There is space above the closet to store some items. Also, I keep select clothes in my suitcase and place it under the bed. Pull it out and take what you need.

I make good use of the units above the bed.

I am only 5'2" but found the cabinet above the bed was great. It held lots of my clothes in neat stacks. Worked great for tees, a few sweaters, and shorts.

Also a few of those great packable cubes for sox and odds and ends.

Robin

We've travelled many 12 to 14 night ones without any issues and only do laundry to take it home, not rewear.

The closet only has hanging space but does have an extra low level pull down rail.

The drawers range in depth with the lowest the biggest.

We use the top one for handy things, wires, glasses ext. Take 1 each for underwear, swimwear ext

We hang all t-shirts and tops, pants, skirts and dresses but use the overhead bins for shorts, hats, purchases, purse ext

We find it works well and never are short is space and yes we always bring too much and end up taking home unwarn items. We're not little people either.

It did take 2 cruises to work out a system. We also have luggage that goes under the bed

Cabin storage is frustratingly inadequate, but you'll find a way to make it work. Everyone seems to have managed (more or less) to devise helpful solutions. Still, I find it absurd that in an otherwise beautiful cabin, the very important matter of storing clothing has been overlooked.

It's crazy that we have to think about packing storage cubes and other accessories, just so that we can organize stowing our stuff!

Celebrity ... are you listening!?

Cabin storage is frustratingly inadequate, but you'll find a way to make it work. Everyone seems to have managed (more or less) to devise helpful solutions. Still, I find it absurd that in an otherwise beautiful cabin, the very important matter of storing clothing has been overlooked.

It's crazy that we have to think about packing storage cubes and other accessories, just so that we can organize stowing our stuff!

All in your perception. . .i always take 14 + day cruises and find it perfectly adequate. . . Wouldn't consider bothering with packing cubes, over door hangers, etc.

I agree. Yes, we make it work. But the storage on S class is abysmal. Designed by women? Obviously women who never sailed on the ships! I certainly hope the new ship designs include storage more similar to M class (and the return of the beloved T-pool as well!!!)

I hate the overhead bins, but use them as there is really no other choice. I usually end up standing on the bed to get what I need - or asking DH (6'3") to get stuff for me. We don't bring cubes or anything - it sometimes gets a bit messy up there but we make do for shorts, t-shirts, and so on.

I do bring one of those hanging jewelry type storage bags with zippers and small compartments. I put all the little things I might need in there rather than taking up the very limited drawer space. It weighs next to nothing. When we travel three to a cabin I also bring a very lightweight hanging shoe bag - the kind that hooks with Velcro over the clothes pole. If you buy the very cheap ones they serve the purpose and are very lightweight

I agree. Yes, we make it work. But the storage on S class is abysmal. Designed by women? Obviously women who never sailed on the ships! I certainly hope the new ship designs include storage more similar to M class (and the return of the beloved T-pool as well!!!)

I hate the overhead bins, but use them as there is really no other choice. I usually end up standing on the bed to get what I need - or asking DH (6'3") to get stuff for me. We don't bring cubes or anything - it sometimes gets a bit messy up there but we make do for shorts, t-shirts, and so on.

I do bring one of those hanging jewelry type storage bags with zippers and small compartments. I put all the little things I might need in there rather than taking up the very limited drawer space. It weighs next to nothing. When we travel three to a cabin I also bring a very lightweight hanging shoe bag - the kind that hooks with Velcro over the clothes pole. If you buy the very cheap ones they serve the purpose and are very lightweight

Absolutely agree! We sailed for the first time in a non-suite veranda S-class cabin, recently -- and found the storage space to be wasteful, and poorly thought out. Yes -- I'm under 5'2", and trying to stand on the bed to access something out of that bizarre over-the-bed cupboard was scary! There was no upper shelf in the closet -- why not? There were not nearly enough drawers in the bureau, and wasted space (that could have been used for storage) all over that cabin. For example, the settee did not convert into a bed, so why didn't the build in a drawer, or cupboard under it? And, don't get me started on the bedside "tables" -- what a joke! I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of storage in the bathroom -- but, I'm not going to store my clothes (and certainly not my electronics) in there!

Overall, we found that cabin's storage dismally inadequate for two adults, traveling for 14 nights (with the holidays, and 3 formal nights)! Since we didn't know that we'd need to bring packing cubes, hampers, and over-the door organizers, we had to store some of our things in the suitcases, under the bed -- not very convenient! In past cruises, we've been able to make the veranda cabin storage areas on other ships (Century and Millie Class) work very nicely. I just keep scratching my head over who DID design the S-Class cabins, and WHAT were they thinking??? :rolleyes:

Edited by wwcruisers

We take portable closet organizers, cubes, and over the door shoe hangers.

We then have plenty of storage because after packing all that extra stuff there is no room for our clothing. :D

if you look on Utube you will find many videos showing the different cqbins and storage.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞