Question on Windjammer seating

Just read a Member Review on Freedom. Person stated that you are now ushered to a table. One can no longer go and choose a table on your own. Is this correct? I sure hope not.

I think it depends on when you go. We went on the March 15 cruise and only were at the windjammer at less busy times and sat where we wanted. However, during the busy times I think they seat you now. I was never there at the busy times so I can't confirm that.

It also depends on the ship. I've seen it reported on some but not on others. We have only experienced it once, on Allure at breakfast, I think. We have never had dinner in the WJ though.

I wish they would seat you. Then they'd be forced to kick out people sitting there reading a book for 5 hours or they would stop 2 people from taking up a table for 6 or 8 people. God that is so annoying.

Just read a Member Review on Freedom. Person stated that you are now ushered to a table. One can no longer go and choose a table on your own. Is this correct? I sure hope not.

I've been on Allure during breakfast, and it was busy as hell. There was a guy seating people, which really I welcomed. It was so much easier than having to beg borrow and steal a table. They just ask you to wait and find a table for you.

That being said, i've also been during off peak time, and you can just walk right in. I just think it's a way for them to limit crowd control, and from people walking around aimlessly for a table

When the Windjammer is so crowded that they are finding seats for you, it's pretty bad, and we would just welcome any location.

It happens at least a few times during any cruise. It gets pretty bad for lunch on boarding day unless you're one of the first to board. Much of the problem comes from people just staying too long, period! I've seen, more than once, people sitting there playing cards when the 'jammer is at peak. No common courtesy.

Sometimes you have no choice other than to take a table for 4 or 6 when there are only two of you. When this would happen, we would tell people that the other seats were available, and when searching ourselves, we'd ask the occupants if the empty seats were available. Sometimes you meet the nicest people that way!:):)

I wish they would seat you. Then they'd be forced to kick out people sitting there reading a book for 5 hours or they would stop 2 people from taking up a table for 6 or 8 people. God that is so annoying.

Have you ever stopped and thought that maybe that was the only table open when the 2 people sat down at that large table? Why not just ask if you can join them? :)

I think many people are too bashful in this regard.

Yes, we were seated when we were on the Allure a couple of years ago, but for breakfast only. We welcomed it and even at peak times never waited more than 5 minutes for a table. It didn't happen on the Mariner last year in the far East and it was a nightmare at breakfast and lunch time too. Wandering round and round for ages looking for a table. Wish RCI would do it all the time on all ships for breakfast and lunch

If there are seats available at a large table, we will simply say, "You don't mind if we join you, do you?"....and then we sit down! If we're at a table with extra seats, we'll invite those searching for seats to join us.

If there are seats available at a large table, we will simply say, "You don't mind if we join you, do you?"....and then we sit down! If we're at a table with extra seats, we'll invite those searching for seats to join us.

Exactly. If we are at a table of 4 or more we have seen people from our roll call and asked them to sit with us but we have never just asked people to sit with us otherwise. However if people have asked if the seats are taken and if they could sit there we always say sure no problem.

On our Enchantment cruise earlier this month they had people at the entrances I think more so for crowd control than anything else. When it was real busy in there they would let more in as people left. I did not really recall them actually taking people to tables to be seated though!

I mentioned this in my mini-review of Freedom 3/15. This occurred during peak times, but at those times, it was really helpful to reduce the lines at the food stations and the pushing and reaching that often occurs when every area is over-crowded. We ate breakfast before 8:15 am every morning, and we could seat ourselves. When we finished, though, the line had formed. We were in the line a couple of days at lunch, but we probably had our food quicker than if they were just letting everyone in, overflowing the Windjammer's capacity! We actually complimented one of the officers on the new system, and he remarked they had just recently begun trying it and were pleased as well. Once inside, the only lines were maybe 3-4 people making salads; otherwise, you could just walk up and serve yourself at any of the stations!

I am not sure if it was on Oasis or Allure but the only time that they were offering to find seating for us I said that is ok we will find our own and they just left us alone. If you don't want help finding seating just say so.

Have you ever stopped and thought that maybe that was the only table open when the 2 people sat down at that large table? Why not just ask if you can join them? :)

Because I don't want to sit with strangers which is why I am glad they are going to "Dynamic dining".

The thing about it might be the only table open at the time, perhaps that was the case, but we have been in there when it was empty and there people at table for 6 or more and two people sitting there with all there crap sprawled out across the table and taking up the chairs. Look I know when I cruise I have to deal with inconsiderate people, its part of the deal, and I just move on most of the time, but these things do happen. It is not my imagination.

Because I don't want to sit with strangers which is why I am glad they are going to "Dynamic dining".

The thing about it might be the only table open at the time, perhaps that was the case, but we have been in there when it was empty and there people at table for 6 or more and two people sitting there with all there crap sprawled out across the table and taking up the chairs. Look I know when I cruise I have to deal with inconsiderate people, its part of the deal, and I just move on most of the time, but these things do happen. It is not my imagination.

It's not in the United States mindset to sit at a table with strangers. I learned to do this during my time in Europe. You basically politely ignore the others at the table and all is well. It is even starting to happen in some U.S. communities. We dined at a hipster restaurant in Milwaukee last year and our party of three was seated with another party of four. We had a great time, separately and together.

It's not in the United States mindset to sit at a table with strangers. I learned to do this during my time in Europe. You basically politely ignore the others at the table and all is well. It is even starting to happen in some U.S. communities. We dined at a hipster restaurant in Milwaukee last year and our party of three was seated with another party of four. We had a great time, separately and together.

I'lll be honest, I hate sitting with people I don't know. Be it sharing a table with breakfast, or in the MDR. I wouldn't say i'm anti social, but i'm from NYC.. we don't like anyone :D

I'lll be honest, I hate sitting with people I don't know. Be it sharing a table with breakfast, or in the MDR. I wouldn't say i'm anti social, but i'm from NYC.. we don't like anyone :D

Funny, my DH is from NY and he is very open and friendly and courteous. We have no issue sitting with new people. We have met some very interesting people and made multiple friends that way. It's all in how you look at it.

I've seen people tell someone no, they can't sit down when there's an obvious open seat. It's extremely rude. The table doesn't belong to you and letting someone wander around looking for a seat isn't that nice. How would you feel if that was you? And, what will you do on a ship where they aren't seating people?

Edited by BND

I'll be honest too...I don't like to sit with strangers either....Why would/should it be any different on a cruise. I don't think it's a NY thing it's a personal choice and it doesn't matter where you're from ;):)

Funny, my DH is from NY and he is very open and friendly and courteous. We have no issue sitting with new people. We have met some very interesting people and made multiple friends that way. It's all in how you look at it.

I've seen people tell someone no, they can't sit down when there's an obvious open seat. It's extremely rude. The table doesn't belong to you and letting someone wander around looking for a seat isn't that nice. How would you feel if that was you? And, what will you do on a ship where they aren't seating people?

Sorry it's not "rude" it's a personal choice...I was there first...you may not like it but it's true...and it was the only table available when I got there. And yes, after many many years of cruising with RCI I have and will continue to wander around looking for a table for the two of us to dine at.;)

I got off Freedom this morning and they did attempt to seat us early on in the cruise when things were busy but that only lasted the first day. Oh, and both times we were given a table, someone else sat down before we could go get food so we brought something to leave at the table so it looked taken. If you want to sit at the bar (not the actual bar at Jade) with bar stools you don't need to wait in line or get a server to find you a spot.

We never saw any crew members getting tables for cruisers on the Serenade. There was only a few times we couldn't find a table right away in the Windjammer, there was usually seating available in the outside seating area. And after our experience in the MDR the first night, we ate at the WJ the rest of the cruise....

Im from Canada and i even hate sitting beside people. :D

On our first cruise on the Grandeur, the day of embarkation, we went to the WJ. We were lugging CPAP's & carry on luggage. We put them down at a table we found (for 4), then took turns getting our lunch. We were asked to share our table & said no problem. We had an interesting & friendly conversation with the couple that joined us. My point is that with that luggage (1 bag each plus 1 CPAP each) we stayed in the WJ rather than lugging that stuff all around to explore. We waited until we could legitimately drop it off in our cabin. According to what I've read here, we were rude to stay after eating? What else should we have done?

On our first cruise on the Grandeur, the day of embarkation, we went to the WJ. We were lugging CPAP's & carry on luggage. We put them down at a table we found (for 4), then took turns getting our lunch. We were asked to share our table & said no problem. We had an interesting & friendly conversation with the couple that joined us. My point is that with that luggage (1 bag each plus 1 CPAP each) we stayed in the WJ rather than lugging that stuff all around to explore. We waited until we could legitimately drop it off in our cabin. According to what I've read here, we were rude to stay after eating? What else should we have done?

So sorry...but perhaps you could have found somewhere else to sit rather than taking up space in the WJ.

I understand having carryons with you and continue to hope that RCI will come up with a solution to aid cruiser's like yourself with an area to store your belongings until cabins are available.

I've cruised only once with PCL and found that a nice touch to have the cabins ready when they allow boarding. After 20+ cruises with RCI I try to have only a small carryon with us only when it has been necessary but I understand your situation.

So sorry...but perhaps you could have found somewhere else to sit rather than taking up space in the WJ.

I understand having carryons with you and continue to hope that RCI will come up with a solution to aid cruiser's like yourself with an area to store your belongings until cabins are available.

I've cruised only once with PCL and found that a nice touch to have the cabins ready when they allow boarding. After 20+ cruises with RCI I try to have only a small carryon with us only when it has been necessary but I understand your situation.

RCI used to have the cabins ready at boarding time but people were complaining that they didn't want to have to be out of their cabin by 8 AM on the last morning of the cruise so this is what RCI came up with. I tend to prefer the old way. Get everyone up and out by 8 AM and have the cabins ready for the new group on embarkation.