Everyone's favorite topic...tablecloths

ETinCA

On the Freedom currently and were told by dining room staff that the new tables are ordered and due to be placed this summer. June or July they suspect. No tablecloths will be used except for on elegant night. Just forwarding what we are being told here.

We've sailed on both the Inspiration (with table cloths) and the Imagination (pretty tables).

Having or not having a tablecloth had to impact on our cruise experience.

I think plates on a bare table is totally tacky....that's how they do it in truck stops!

While I have not experienced it at all (in the MDR) on any cruises we have taken, I can say that we have gone to the Steakhouse on the Breeze (tablecloth-less) and it was just fine (in fact, elegant comes to mind). Not tacky at all and unlike any truck stop I have been to (or Walmart, in case that comes up next).

I live in a foodie town. When my husband and I get the rare night out, we go to top tier restaurants. Very few of the top-rated, seen-and-be-seen places have tablecloths. I could go either way. Certainly the more modern, hip approach.

I live in a foodie town. When my husband and I get the rare night out, we go to top tier restaurants. Very few of the top-rated, seen-and-be-seen places have tablecloths. I could go either way. Certainly the more modern, hip approach.

Maybe that's because the hip, young people like lots of noise. JMO

Tablecloth? no tablecloth? The absolute LAST thing I consider when going on vacation is a freaking tablecloth... My 2 cents...

Ditto

Thank you OP for reporting on what you heard.

While a tablecloth does not make or break a cruise, it does change the atmosphere from something nice to Denny's. You just lose something that is nice about a cruise.

Carnival is my third choice in cruise lines, but the price keeps me coming back. Pay $1000 less and not have a table cloth? Ok.

I don't even remember if we had tablecloths on my last cruise. I think we did, but I'd have to find a dinner pic to be sure. I don't like to use a tablecloth on my dining table at home. I chose my table because I liked the inset wood design and like to see it. Perhaps that's why I don't really notice things like that. I'm more concerned that the food is tasty. ;-)

Most new modern high end restaurants are designed with hard surfaces...tile or wood floors, little or no fabric, no tablecloths, open airy spaces, lots of windows or reflective surfaces. The main reason for this is that "noise" becomes the factor that allows people sitting together to talk openly without being overheard by their neighbors or the rest of the restaurant. Soft surfaces, carpet, fabric chairs, tablecloths does absorb sound but voices transmit far from their own tables...allowing everyone to overhear what might be private conversations. That's why they pipe in that awful elevator music.

Personally, I hate tablecloths...don't much care for place mats either. I don't even mind paper napkins (as long as they are big enough). But then I'm not a germaphobe. And, for me, nothing is more distracting than a spill on a tablecloth which grows during dinner and no way to clean it.

Just type in restaurant design into your search engine and view the images...10 to 1 in favor of no tablecloths

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

The main reason for this is that "noise" becomes the factor that allows people sitting together to talk openly without being overheard by their neighbors or the rest of the restaurant.

I had trouble hearing the people I was sitting with! :rolleyes:

Doesnt matter to me - in fact, probably prefer none, as I'm always trying to not get the tablecloth dirty or spill crumbs on it.

It must be a HUGE burden to the staff and a cost to launder the clothes, not to mention the extra time it takes to set up a table.

Also, most ships are trying to go green and this is GREAT way to conserve! I am by no means an extreme tree hugger, but to me, the pros to not having table costs far outweigh the cons.

I had trouble hearing the people I was sitting with! :rolleyes:

Maybe you are a candidate for a hearing aid. :rolleyes:

Most new modern high end restaurants are designed with hard surfaces...tile or wood floors, little or no fabric, no tablecloths, open airy spaces, lots of windows or reflective surfaces. The main reason for this is that "noise" becomes the factor that allows people sitting together to talk openly without being overheard by their neighbors or the rest of the restaurant. Soft surfaces, carpet, fabric chairs, tablecloths does absorb sound but voices transmit far from their own tables...allowing everyone to overhear what might be private conversations. That's why they pipe in that awful elevator music.

Personally, I hate tablecloths...don't much care for place mats either. I don't even mind paper napkins (as long as they are big enough). But then I'm not a germaphobe. And, for me, nothing is more distracting than a spill on a tablecloth which grows during dinner and no way to clean it.

Just type in restaurant design into your search engine and view the images...10 to 1 in favor of no tablecloths

That is the same in this city, no tablecloths. I personally do not mind no table cloth as long as the table is a nice table. Paper place mats like at Denny's has to go however. This seems to be the new way restaurants are going so either adjust or eat at home.

While a tablecloth does not make or break a cruise, it does change the atmosphere from something nice to Denny's. You just lose something that is nice about a cruise.

Everyone has an opinion but I think that is a bit of a stretch.

If they don't have table clothes on my next cruise, I guess blue jeans, t-shirts, and flip flops will work too then. I can eat at Denny's or Cracker Barrell for that kind of atomsphere!

That is quite the over-reaction to the loss of tablecloths you seem to be having.

That is quite the over-reaction to the loss of tablecloths you seem to be having.

Truer words were never spoken!

What is the big deal people? As others have mentioned many high end restaurants have no tablecloths! Would you compare Ruth Chris Steakhouse to Denny's? They don't have tablecloths in Atlanta and I don't believe I have seen flip flops there either.

It is a piece of material! If it bothers you that much just ask for an extra napkin and place it under your plate. :D

What is the big deal people? As others have mentioned many high end restaurants have no tablecloths! Would you compare Ruth Chris Steakhouse to Denny's? They don't have tablecloths in Atlanta and I don't believe I have seen flip flops there either.

It is a piece of material! If it bothers you that much just ask for an extra napkin and place it under your plate. :D

Like!

Lol. Like!!!