Disappointing upsell offer

Bedruthen

So after reading how excited everyone gets when offered an upsell, imagine my delight to receive my very own upsell offer today. Tha is until I checked the prices..

So I currently have a verandah cabin, which cost £1300 per person and have an upsell offer to a signature suite for £650 per person. Great, well that is until I check the prices online and see that the price difference if I just changed cabins without any offer is £700.

So the upsell offer would give me a magnificent saving of just £50 per person, hardly the bargain of the day.

Is that the normal type of saving, because it certainly doesn't seem a great deal, unless it is because we are UK customers?

The upsell offer will not be any better than what it takes to fill the staterooms. No thank you now may improve the offer later. We were once offered an upsell for $2000.00, we declined, and later paid $1000.00. The key is to wait until you hear an offer you agree to and then closing the deal immediately.

The upsell offer will not be any better than what it takes to fill the staterooms. No thank you now may improve the offer later. We were once offered an upsell for $2000.00, we declined, and later paid $1000.00. The key is to wait until you hear an offer you agree to and then closing the deal immediately.

Okay that's interesting. We haven't sailed with Holland America before, so not sure how these things work. It's a bit of a disadvantage being in the UK because of the time difference. We got the offer at midnight, so had to wait until the UK office opened the next day But they have to contact Seattle to confirm any offers, by which time the Seattle office is closed, so closing the deal quickly would be quite a challenge!!

If it makes you feel better, it's not because you're from the UK. I communicated with my PCC, yesterday, about possible upsells for my upcoming cruise. The four remaining suites are available at full price which is double what I paid for an outside for a Vista suite and more than triple for a Neptune suite!:eek: No way was I paying those prices.

I am sailing in 2 days aboard the Westerdam.

NO upsell or upgrade offers at all.

I have an SY suite and was never sent a thing.

Did check the "no upgrade" box when booking, though. And the ship seems to be full, as the website shows "sold out" on almost all classes of rooms.

We are happy with our room selection, though, and would have turned them down for anything less than a Neptune upsell, those were the first room class to sell out.

That's the problem HAL creates by giving some of those really low upsell offers. People come to expect them. While we all would like to get more cabin for less money, there are actually many who are paying full price for those suites/cabins. We should only expect to be assigned that category/cabin which we booked and paid for. Anything else should be a pleasant surprise but has become an expectation by many of us.

OP.... I'm not coming at you. Really I am not. It's just I've been watching this 'expectation of more for less' for years and it was inevitable people would be disappointed when they, too, did not get a $5,000 cabin for a whole lot less than that. No one wants to be played the fool and pay the $5,000 when they know others automatically and regularly get it for less.

I KNOW this is not a popular post, I don't mean it against any specific person(s) but it is an observation I've been recognizing often and HAL has set themselves up for some disgruntled cruisers.

We have had 3 up sales offer, we took the first one-- from an ocean view to a vista suite at a good price $350/pp.

The second offer from the vista to a Neptune$1600/pp-- no way.

The third offer from the vista to a Neptune $600/pp, we declined that offer also. The prices are high already on this cruise, Maasdam, we are happy with our cabin and location, wish HAL would be more realistic in their offers, but I guess they do find cruisers who will pay the price.

That's the problem HAL creates by giving some of those really low upsell offers. People come to expect them. While we all would like to get more cabin for less money, there are actually many who are paying full price for those suites/cabins. We should only expect to be assigned that category/cabin which we booked and paid for. Anything else should be a pleasant surprise but has become an expectation by many of us.

OP.... I'm not coming at you. Really I am not. It's just I've been watching this 'expectation of more for less' for years and it was inevitable people would be disappointed when they, too, did not get a $5,000 cabin for a whole lot less than that. No one wants to be played the fool and pay the $5,000 when they know others automatically and regularly get it for less.

I KNOW this is not a popular post, I don't mean it against any specific person(s) but it is an observation I've been recognizing often and HAL has set themselves up for some disgruntled cruisers.

I agree with you. I read these posts so many times and wonder why people think they're entitled to get more than they pay for.

I sometimes think I am the fool for paying full price when all these posters come here and brag about the deals they received.

In the past we have traveled with three persons. We have to book a suite in order to be comfortable and pay for it up front. Then someone who books a verandah gets a suite deal and pays half of the price we did. It doesn't make us happy to hear this.

Terri

Retdon

We have had 3 up sales offer, we took the first one-- from an ocean view to a vista suite at a good price $350/pp.

The second offer from the vista to a Neptune$1600/pp-- no way.

The third offer from the vista to a Neptune $600/pp, we declined that offer also. The prices are high already on this cruise, Maasdam, we are happy with our cabin and location, wish HAL would be more realistic in their offers, but I guess they do find cruisers who will pay the price.

Yes, :) That was exactly my point. Some cruisers are paying the full price for those cabins. Suites are very often priced higher on Maasdam because there are so many fewer Neptune Suites and they are often filled at the 'asking price'.

Edited by sail7seas

I agree with you. I read these posts so many times and wonder why people think they're entitled to get more than they pay for.

I sometimes think I am the fool for paying full price when all these posters come here and brag about the deals they received.

In the past we have traveled with three persons. We have to book a suite in order to be comfortable and pay for it up front. Then someone who books a verandah gets a suite deal and pays half of the price we did. It doesn't make us happy to hear this.

Terri

That has been the case for me time and time again. No one wants to pay ridiculously higher than others for the same thing and have that happen again and again...........

Years ago, HAL could get away without our knowing about it. But given the information age and CC forums, we now know exactly what they do with these upsells. Now that I will be booking these suites as a Solo and paying double for a single person, it is not going to 'irritate me any less'. :D

Edited by sail7seas

Okay that's interesting. We haven't sailed with Holland America before, so not sure how these things work. It's a bit of a disadvantage being in the UK because of the time difference. We got the offer at midnight, so had to wait until the UK office opened the next day But they have to contact Seattle to confirm any offers, by which time the Seattle office is closed, so closing the deal quickly would be quite a challenge!!

Figure out what price you would be happy with and communicate that to your agent. I've previously told my TA that I'd take an upsell to X category for $X and that she could accept any offer meeting that without needing to contact me...

Might save some of that delay.

Terri

I saw somewhere that cabins with 3 people in them are seldom offered upsells?

Some interesting posts, and no I don't take them personally :)

We have cruised with all of the other cruise lines and this is the first time we have ever been offered the opportunity to upgrade in this manner. Having read the posts on here from many other people hoping that they would be offered an upsell, I guess we just thought it was going to be something amazing, and it wasn't.

For the poster that asked, the cruise is departing early May and there are quite a few cabins still available.

I did wonder if the upgrade cost is set at the same amount irrespective of the cabin you have already booked. In which case someone booking a guarantee inside would get a much better deal upgrading to a suite than someone already in a verandah. Maybe that's why some people feel the deal is so good, I guess we'll never know.

Oh and I just want to add that I did ring the UK HAL office today to talk through how these things work and their representative Dave was great, very impressed with their customer service, now bring on the cruise!!

Edited by Bedruthen

While we all would like to get more cabin for less money, there are actually many who are paying full price for those suites/cabins. We should only expect to be assigned that category/cabin which we booked and paid for. Anything else should be a pleasant surprise but has become an expectation by many of us.

I agree. When any item is sold at bargain basement prices, it diminishes the perceived value of that item to those who paid MSRP for it. While I don't have the experience with Holland America that many of you have, I do have over 100 days onboard. I have never been presented an upgrade offer. I've had a TA who worked for what I considered a couple of great deals, but I've never been upsold. I choose what I want, pay for it, and am happy to occupy it.

Would I consider an upsell? Of course. But it would likely have to be a big enough deal that I am sure the cruise line will not offer.

Yes, :) That was exactly my point. Some cruisers are paying the full price for those cabins. Suites are very often priced higher on Maasdam because there are so many fewer Neptune Suites and they are often filled at the 'asking price'.

I agree - I have been offered upsells to a Neptune on the larger HAL ships, but never on the smaller ones (like the Maasdam). I am sure it is because there are less than half of the number of Neptunes on these smaller ships.

Case in point - review the pricing of the Neptunes on a similar route (like the Caribbean) by ship. Quite informative. Same holds true for the Vista vs Signature cabins (even though the Signature cabins are larger and nicer, the Vistas generally sell for more.).

Edited by DaveOKC

You are wrong. We were offered upsells twice from the Neptune suite to the Penthouse.

Terri

Well, that is a bit different - Penthouse certainly can handle 3 people, but I am not sure all the Neptunes can.

Some interesting posts, and no I don't take them personally :)

I did wonder if the upgrade cost is set at the same amount irrespective of the cabin you have already booked. In which case someone booking a guarantee inside would get a much better deal upgrading to a suite than someone already in a verandah. Maybe that's why some people feel the deal is so good, I guess we'll never know.

I would think that HAL offers the Neptune upgrade first to the next lowest category (like Vista or Signature). If no takers, then they might go a notch lower.

Besides, if a Vista takes the upsell, then they can offer that cabin as an upsell to the outside cabins - make more money that way.

As far as I am aware, every SA Neptune has a double size pull out in the couch. They can all accommodate 4, provided two can share the pull out. Three is no problem at all.

The aft wrap Neptunes on the Vista/Signature might only have a single because of the slightly smaller room configuration--but again, 3 is no problem there.

I subscribe to the practice that I book in the minimum cabin category that I will be satisfied sailing. If I get an upsell offer, I will evaluate what it's worth to me, but I won't complain if I don't get one, or I get one that's priced too high. If HAL can sell them at a price I don't like, then good for them. If they can't and come down in price, maybe I'll still get a deal.

As far as I am aware, every SA Neptune has a double size pull out in the couch. They can all accommodate 4, provided two can share the pull out. Three is no problem at all.

The aft wrap Neptunes on the Vista/Signature might only have a single because of the slightly smaller room configuration--but again, 3 is no problem there.

I subscribe to the practice that I book in the minimum cabin category that I will be satisfied sailing. If I get an upsell offer, I will evaluate what it's worth to me, but I won't complain if I don't get one, or I get one that's priced too high. If HAL can sell them at a price I don't like, then good for them. If they can't and come down in price, maybe I'll still get a deal.

Good perspective. :)

That's my philosophy as well. I did receive an upsell offer once and took it as it was worth it to me at the time. That's the only one I've received and that's ok as well because I have a cabin and I know I don't have to sleep on the open deck.

I did a guarantee ocean view once and ended up in an aft balcony. That was sweet and I pinched myself all the way to the pier because I was sure they were going to tell me they had made a mistake!

Deb

We do the same-we always book at least a Signature suite because I (not my husband) LOVE them! He'd be happy in a cheaper one but I get claustrophobic easily. We do put "ok to upgrade" now though and received an offer last year for our Alaska cruise to an upsell to a Neptune which I declined. They offered a lower price the next week and I figured why not as it was in my target price range for an upsell. I don't expect it but if it falls in my lap at the price I'm willing to pay I will go for it.