Paid upgrade

Hi...

Just wondering if anyone who has booked a balcony has ever received an offer to pay for an upgrade to a suite shortly before the cruise. Didn't know if RCCI does that - a friend that is cruising on Carnival next month just rec'd an email to upgrade to a suite from a balcony for a fee. Just thought I'd see if anyone has ever rec'd the same from RCC.

Happy cruising...

Rita

I didn't upgrade to a suite, but I was able to score a balcony cabin from an inside. We paid less than the price of the current priced interior cabin. I had to call C&A after getting an email from them.

Not an "offer," but I have upgraded numerous times after final payment. I watch the prices and when I can get a good deal upgrade, I go for it. Best EVER... booked a JS on Oasis in 2013. It was a very good price. Three weeks before the cruise the Crown Loft's dropped. I was able to upgrade from a JS to a CL-1 for a total of $300 for both of us!

Last May we upgraded from a D-1 Balcony on Rhapsody to a JS for zero money. The JS price dropped below the Balcony.

So, just keep a watch on the prices and if you see a good deal upgrade, jump on it.

Keep in mind that there are sometimes restrictions like "new bookings only." And that you will change to the rate rules in place, so you could lose OBC or something else. So you need to factor that loss into the price to see if it's worth it to you.

They have supposedly started a new program for upselling (paid upgrades) from March 15th.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/CAS/Flyers/15043237_Trade_Flyer_CAS.pdf

I have not seen posts here from anybody that has actually done the upsell by email.

RCI has been calling to offer upsells for a couple of years now.

Not on Royal, but my first princess cruise, we got a call from Princess and were upgraded from ocean view to ocean balcony about 60 days prior to the cruise. My parents who booked a balcony were upgraded to a suite. It was odd, because a thanksgiving cruise should have had all the balcony rooms booked solid.

...every couple of days.

Last year we had a JS and about a month after we booked, they had a sale on the GS, It was only $100. more. I immediately called my TA & had him snmag one of these cabins for us.

I am new to cruising and the upgrade wording I don't understand very well. In my crown and anchor preferences it has option for "automatic upgrade" or "upgrade with restrictions". It is not clear what auto upgrade means. Does it mean automatically offer it to you or does it mean if one comes available they just switch you with out asking?

Got a call two weeks before sail date asking if we would like to upgrade to a JS for $375 total. We declined as I wasn't going to give up my aft wraparound balcony. If we would of been on the side....we probably would of done it.

I am new to cruising and the upgrade wording I don't understand very well. In my crown and anchor preferences it has option for "automatic upgrade" or "upgrade with restrictions". It is not clear what auto upgrade means. Does it mean automatically offer it to you or does it mean if one comes available they just switch you with out asking?

I have automatic upgrade in my profile. They do not contact you for these upgrades.

Upgrades at time of booking or for a GTY can be a Revenue Upgrade, meaning they do not have inventory in your category or they need your cabin to give to someone else and move you to clear the way.

Upgrades without fee are done as C&A upgrades and they work the list from the top level down. If you do not have restrictions, they just change it. If you have restrictions they may contact you.

Upselling was previously done by phone with RCI, but they are supposed to now be sending emails with offers as per the document I posted earlier in the thread.

Paigebeverly....not exactly clear on that myself. If someone here can clarify that, please do. So, we sail on Oct 19, so I shouldn't expect any type of upgrade offer, if any, until late August/early September it sounds like. Wonder how they pick those to offer upgrades to. We are in a side balcony.

I have our preferneces set to auto upgrade.

On our Quantum cruise in May, I have been upgraded from and outside to a D8 - no phone call, no email, just noticed the room change in the 'my cruises' section.

Strangely, the Wife and son are in another cabin on the same sailing and she was upgraded from an interior to an obstructed view balcony.

Pete

I'm in a studio on Brilliance otS in May. I noticed offers on inside cabins and phoned my agent, but the price I was quoted for an upgrade was ridiculous.

I wonder if the UK agents get the flyer that was posted. It doesn't look like the ship is full, so I would hope for an upgrade, and am willing to pay extra.

I am Platinum C&A at the moment, will be Emerald at the end of the next cruise and Diamond by the end of the year. I have also ticked the upgrade box in my C&A account.

Edited by SandraDJ

We have received emails offering upgrades about 30-60 days prior to sailing on our last two cruises and taken both. We upgraded to a balcony from an ocean view for $100.00 per person and the second time from a balcony to a junior suite on the Allure last November for $500 total. The JS was awesome! I would not have paid the full price on my own so if they had not offered a 'for fee' upgrade we would have happily stayed where we booked. I do read a good bit about people who randomly get upgraded for free but personally have never been so lucky!

I emailed crown and anchor and they told me if a "paid" upgrade is available they will contact me but if a complimentary upgrade is available they will just upgrade with out notifying you

Thanks for that. I do check my C&A account from time to time, in the hope ...

It has happened to me twice around 60 days prior to sail date. The deal was great, but you do not get double C&A points- which was never documented

I have a question on this... "what if"

the JS dropped below the price of the balcony? And you called C&A to upgrade you, rather than they upgraded you automatically or made an upsell offer..

or

after noticing that JS dropped to within reach, you called C&A to be asked an upgraded to JS for a small price difference?

This case it is you who initiated the call for an upgrade to JS, not them

Do you get double points for these 2 scenarios?

I have a question on this... "what if"

the JS dropped below the price of the balcony? And you called C&A to upgrade you, rather than they upgraded you automatically or made an upsell offer..

or

after noticing that JS dropped to within reach, you called C&A to be asked an upgraded to JS for a small price difference?

This case it is you who initiated the call for an upgrade to JS, not them

Do you get double points for these 2 scenarios?

Not sure about the first scenario but you would get the points for the second one as long as you paid something and it was not C and A doing the offering

Not sure about the first scenario but you would get the points for the second one as long as you paid something and it was not C and A doing the offering

I agree. I'm not sure, but you might even get the points for the JS in the second scenario if the JS price dropped below what you had paid. I think you would get the points as long as you initiate the change and you are paying the published price for the JS.

I agree. I'm not sure, but you might even get the points for the JS in the second scenario if the JS price dropped below what you had paid. I think you would get the points as long as you initiate the change and you are paying the published price for the JS.

yeah fair enough... I do think that if it is you who called them and initiated the upgrade, not them reaching to you first.. you should get the double points...