Port - Local Currency or USA dollars

Minstrel*

Hi,

Apologies for this stupid question but need some advice please? Doing Western Caribbean with RCCL later this year. Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Caymen & Mexico. Do we need to have local currency for each port (and roughly how much) or do they accept USA dollars? Probably will have pre paid excursions and will only need money for lunch/refreshments/tips and gifts. All help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for any help :~}

xx

I can't think of anywhere in the Eastern or Western Caribbean that won't take US Dollars. There are some islands in the Southern Caribbean where local currency is preferred or the only currency accepted.

Yes, you can use US Dollars in most Caribbean ports.

The locals do not mind taking them, and it simplifies things for you.

But you may be surprised to learn that when you pay with US Dollars, the locals use their own exchange rates - which are typically in their favor.

That means you are paying more for the goods in order to have the convenience of paying with US$.

Then your change will be in local currency, which you will not be using. That means you paid even more for the items you bought.

If you are looking for bargains in the Caribbean - this is probably not the way to go.

If you do not mind paying more than everyone else, for the convenience of avoiding foreign exchange, go for it.

Edited by BruceMuzz

But you may be surprised to learn that when you pay with US Dollars, the locals use their own exchange rates - which are typically in their favor.

That means you are paying more for the goods in order to have the convenience of paying with US$.

Then your change will be in local currency, which you will not be using. That means you paid even more for the items you bought.

If you are looking for bargains in the Caribbean - this is probably not the way to go.

If you do not mind paying more than everyone else, for the convenience of avoiding foreign exchange, go for it.

The typical cruise passenger is buying trinkets and spending very little. Someone who is shopping for jewelry or other high ticket items would be foolish to not use a credit card for the various protections it offers.

Do the shops on these islands (I'm also going to Jamaica, Grand Caymen and Mexico) only take cash?

Most small shops and stalls only take cash. Larger shops and anyone selling high ticket items will accept credit cards.

This.

Apart from Grand Cayman (our Post office could not get GC dollars in time) we used all local currency in Ports. Not only was bargaining and our exchange with seller easier and friendlier we also worked out we probably saved around £50 including exchange rates.

I also really love looking at different currencies from around the world and it helps local businesses. It might be my nationality talking here but I would not dream of spending US dollars in the ports mentioned. JMO

This.

Apart from Grand Cayman (our Post office could not get GC dollars in time) we used all local currency in Ports. Not only was bargaining and our exchange with seller easier and friendlier we also worked out we probably saved around £50 including exchange rates.

I also really love looking at different currencies from around the world and it helps local businesses. It might be my nationality talking here but I would not dream of spending US dollars in the ports mentioned. JMO

It comes from our "USA-centric" view - of course we want everyone to speak English, of course everyone wants our US currency ;) As you are from a country with a more, ahem, worldly outlook, you didn't think twice about getting the local currency for your travels. At least the shop owners get a bonus from taking the US dollars - they don't have to use the "official" exchange rate when giving change back to the tourist, but they get the official rate when they take the US dollars to the bank to exchange into their currency.

• 2 years later...
I can't think of anywhere in the Eastern or Western Caribbean that won't take US Dollars. There are some islands in the Southern Caribbean where local currency is preferred or the only currency accepted.

Martinique is the only one that comes to mind since they use Euros - however, the shops I went to were happy to take credit cards.

If you plan to obtain local currency you have to balance the potential cost savings of not needing to accept the locals' exchange rate for dollars (many trinket stalls are priced in US dollars anyway) against the cost of having leftover currency when you leave the islands (and note that it's a common practice for moneychangers to accept paper money only so it's a good idea to minimize your accumulation of coins).

In the Caribbean, we just use dollars. We don't actually spend much on shore--mostly just something to drink or a light snack; rarely even buy trinkets anymore, but most of the time change is given in dollars. since the amounts are small, if we do get pesos or something else as change, it's not a big deal. I have a big jar of various coins from all over the world at home!

If I was planning on spending larger amounts, I'd use a credit card.

If at a port or country that doesn't really want American dollars (Falkland Islands comes to mind, as we just got back from a South American cruise), I do get pounds, Euros, or whatever currency is in use.