Carnival Miracle where is she headed in 2016??

AzCruiseGurl

Carnival put a lot of faith in the Calf. market and it bombed...big time. You can label the reason whatever you like (fire, swine flue, landslides, the drug lords in Mexico, the governor, whatever). Calf has a limited market of where to sail to. Of course it sails at a higher price, how many ships do 7 day cruises from the west coast compared to an over saturated Florida market.

BTW, it did fine when it came to New York....don't we have press on the east coast also? huh

Splendor out of Long Beach - Aug 2008 to Feb 2013.

CA Unemployment Rate - Aug 2008 to Feb 2013.

Source: Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics:

"It's the Economy" James Carville

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LASST060000000000003

CABLS.png

Splendor out of NY - March 2013 to Present.

NY Unemployment Rate - March 2013 to Present.

Source: http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LASST360000000000003

NYBLS.png

Edited by Kobayashi

Splendor out of Long Beach - Aug 2008 to Feb 2013.

CA Unemployment Rate - Aug 2008 to Feb 2013.

Source: Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics:

"It's the Economy" James Carville

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LASST060000000000003

CABLS.png

LOL, ok forgot to add one more option.....the economy. Logic is still the same.

I don't know where to start..... Moving the ship because of the fire....really? Trust me the ship was heavily discounted (7 day balconies going for 650/pp). Carnival put a lot of faith in the Calf. market and it bombed...big time. You can label the reason whatever you like (fire, swine flue, landslides, the drug lords in Mexico, the governor, whatever). Calf has a limited market of where to sail to. Of course it sails at a higher price, how many ships do 7 day cruises from the west coast compared to an over saturated Florida market.

BTW, it did fine when it came to New York....don't we have press on the east coast also? huh

Well , by your standards I guess it's heavily discounted out of Miami, several sailings less then $650 for balconies in November 2015.

By the way, whats with the large bold fonts? Kind of like yelling on the net.

Well , by your standards I guess it's heavily discounted out of Miami, several sailings less then $650 for balconies in November 2015.

By the way, whats with the large bold fonts? Kind of like yelling on the net.

Actually not yelling, got tired of the little blue fonts. Call it me getting older, all my posts are that way including my reviews, a personal choice thing on my end (nothing meant by it:o). My point was/is that Carnival went out on a limb to put their newest ship to the west coast (had to sail her around S.A.). It did not work out, for whatever reason. It was a gamble on their part, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. I doubt they will do something like that again. They took a bath on sailing her around the horn (granted soon the wider canal will open), but my guess is that best case, you (the west coast) would get the Splendor back.

Edited by jimbo5544

I just added this chart to my other post:

Splendor out of NY - March 2013 to Present.

NY Unemployment Rate - March 2013 to Present.

Source: http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LASST360000000000003

NYBLS.png

I don't doubt your numbers. Was their a recession ? Yes. That being said how many people live within a 3 hour ride of the port on Long Beach? If 3,000 guests is to much to ask to fill a ship without discounting, then you have to do some serious head scratching on whether a ship belongs there.

My point of NY was that the chances they did not fill the ship due to the fire (on the west coast vs the east coast) are about the same as me winning powerball in the drawing tonight.

I don't doubt your numbers. Was their a recession ? Yes.

I posted my source and a link if there is any doubt.

I'll defer to you and others to discuss the merits of where a ship should sail.

I prefer to plan and prepare for my next cruise. Wherever that may be. Cheers!

I posted my source and a link if there is any doubt.

I'll defer to you and others to discuss the merits of where a ship should sail.

I prefer to plan and prepare for my next cruise. Wherever that may be. Cheers!

Last I could tell, I have not gotten many phone calls from the big wigs at Carnival asking for my advice. I think they will swap the Splendor and the Miracle for a host of reasons. Nothing wrong with preparing for a next cruise..... cheers back at you and happy sailing.

If the west coast was so lucrative then all cruise lines would be lining up to put larger and better ships there. Instead they put ships that they can fill for the Hawaiian and Alaskan market. The Mexican Rivera is never going to be as popular as the caribbean. So as a market strategy carnival and the other cruise lines will always place precedence for the east coast market over the west coast when it comes to ship deployment.

LOL, ok forgot to add one more option.....the economy. Logic is still the same.

Another thing to consider besides the downed economy..... Lack of alternative ports when things go upside down. This was the case when the Swine Flu hit Mexico in 2009 and ships had no where to go but north.

Right now we have Carnival and Princess sailing year round from both LA ports. Princess is also sailing from San Francisco.

The 3/4 day cruises must be the shortest cruise itin sailing, barely 500 mi/RT (I'll let someone else figure out the nautical). Probably even less when the ships used to 'park' off of one of the Channel Islands on the sea day.

Carnival is mixing up the 7day itin and Princess offers CA Coastals and longer MR cruises.

Edited by SadieN

Another thing to consider besides the downed economy..... Lack of alternative ports when things go upside down. This was the case when the Swine Flu hit Mexico in 2009 and ships had no where to go but north.

Right now we have Carnival and Princess sailing year round from both LA ports. Princess is also sailing from San Francisco.

The 3/4 day cruises must be the shortest cruise itin sailing, barely 500 mi/RT (I'll let someone else figure out the nautical). Probably even less when the ships used to 'park' off of one of the Channel Islands on the sea day.

Carnival is mixing up the 7day itin and Princess offers CA Coastals and longer MR cruises.

You are correct there are limited options. When the civil unrest (at least what some perceived as dangerous conditions) manifested themselves for Mazatlan, that left a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise with two ports of call. There was much discussion here at the time of why they did not develop the west coast routes north more, LB or San Diego up to San Fran, Seattle and making the required stop in Vancouver and back. My guess is that they felt it did not fit their market (although they have hung onto the NY north route on a seasonal basis on the east coast).

Panama Canal Construction as of Feb 2015 compared to August 2015:

Source: http://micanaldepanama.com/expansion/

62A0F694-7ADE-4A8C-B966-F801216B0359.jpg

D64EBD1B-77CE-4183-8209-12BF882C8125.jpg

Actually a pretty impressive thing (the canal), once completed, I would totally recommend a canal passage for anybody so inclined. We did it as an excursion and it was great, I can only fathom (not the new cruise line) how interesting it would be to make the way through it.

Actually a pretty impressive thing (the canal), once completed, I would totally recommend a canal passage for anybody so inclined. We did it as an excursion and it was great, I can only fathom (not the new cruise line) how interesting it would be to make the way through it.

That's on our bucket list of cruises to take.

That's on our bucket list of cruises to take.

Ours as well. The excursion we did (our ship was too wide for the canal) we were ported over to Panama City (which has a skyline like New York....hard as it is to believe) and then we boarded a smaller sight seeing ship which piggy backed with a larger ship in each lock. Half way through, we were debarked and bused back to Colon (where are ship was). A true passage as you mention is an entirely different beast and worth adding to the bucket list (not that our thing was not enjoyable).

• 2 weeks later...

Co worker just got off the Miracle this past weekend. He was told by the future cruise guy that the Miracle was going to Tampa sometime in the spring of 2017 for 3-4 months and then going to China, Splendor would move to Long Beach. Time line will be made when the Canal has a better finish date.

Was not sure he was told good info about the Miracle going to China until I saw this article tonight.

http://cruiseradio.net/carnival-cruise-line-heads-to-china/

Carnival Corporations President just announces in this interview that Miracle will be going to China in 2017. About 1:10-1:25 is where you will want to pay attention.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-13/carnival-will-double-cruise-lines-serving-china-market-in-2017

Well. no more wondering about the Miracle other then the date in 2017.

Wow I can't believe Miracle will be heading to China. It'll be a good start for Carnival, but it makes me sad to see her go to China.

I bet they will probably send the second Vista class ship to China to compete with all the new ships heading to China such as Quantum of the Seas, the under construction Majestic Princess, and the new NCL ship (the Bliss I believe, which is under construction). China is slowly turning into the new Caribbean in a way.

Edited by Alexv500