Complaints re Celebrity upsell - fair?

Cassicruiser

We are certainly aware of the constant upselling, but don't understand why people get so upset or irritated about it. We have never felt pressured by it ... it's easily ignored wherever it is ... and it keeps basic costs down. Why pay for something you don't need or want?

I do think there is a lot of paper wasted, though. I'm able to use some of it for lists or reminders, stuff like that ... but the rest just goes into the wastebasket.

I agree with the comment that the dailies don't utilize the space very well. There are constant inserts that give you more information about places where you can spend more money, but information about free/included activities is scant.

I also agree with the annoyance at the 'exclusive invitations' for the garbage events like the 'guess the price' contest (where you don't win the item, just a 5% off coupon) or the $10 watches, gold-by-the-inch, etc. etc. etc.

I don't particularly care about being upsold to, but I do expect the same quality of information for the free events too. I should know what's on TV, get a line or two of text about what the free events are all about, that kind of thing.

If you look at the daily activity sheet, there are now many more "brown diamond grand openings" and similar. Celebrity has reduced their entertainment and activity staffs, thus reducing the events they can offer, so to fill the page and make it look like a very full day of options, they have added "selling" events. I think I counted an average of 10 listed each day on our last cruise....might have been higher.

As far as the wasted paper, I think it's a pretty constant complaint that there is just too much junk paper distributed...the invitations to the art auction kick off at every cabin and so on but it's likely it's part of the franchise agreement with the vendors. It's annoying, but I have no problem filling our cabin trash can with the junk mail.

Hi!

As I sit reading this thread, I have just received my second solicitation for air duct cleaning today!

Most annoying, to say the least.

However, as someone previously posted, doesn't matter how much they upsell, you can refuse to buy whatever is being sold.

Happy sailing!

Just off the Reflection. Yes, a good 1/3 of the activities on the dailies were "for fee" activities. And yes, for the first half of the cruise, I heard most bartenders ask customers if they wanted to upgrade their package (or purchase one if they hadn't). I upgraded first day, with carryon in tow, so didn't bother me. And yes, there was one "exclusive" invitation to an art auction in my room (that I happened to see stuck in everyone else's door on my floor). Oh, and there were the 7-8 messages on my TV screen account suggesting some other opportunity or another.

But all in all, it really didn't affect my cruise. Fairly subtle, relative to other cruise lines.

As for the rating, I truly think that numerical ratings (whether here, on Yelp, on Amazon, or any other site) only show the variance between individual expectations and individual experience. It's the comments that tell the story. What pleased or bothered someone immensely might mean nothing or everything to me. So take 'em with a grain of salt!

Yes, one can refuse, but it gets very annoying having to repeat that over and over again. I think I'll just buy one of these shirts and wear it for the first 2 days of the cruise. :D

view?rlvnet=1&realview=113390926697750663&design=378494ce-9cbd-407e-839b-0d6d568a0902&style=basic_tshirt&size=a_l&color=lightblue&max_dim=512&hide=bleed%2Csafe%2CvisibleMask&r=1429145643069

Like the shirt. We have sailed on every Celebrity ship except The Millie, and some ships multiple times. Our most recent cruise was on The Connie in February. I do not ever recall being asked to buy a beverage package. We are offered .....ON PAPER.... opportunities to eat a specialty restaurants, but NEVER have been asked by an employee to buy a package or upgrade. I agree that Celebrity must have stock in a paper company.....so much for SAVE THE WAVES, maybe they should have a new promo on SAVE THE TREES.

I subscribe to You Get What You Pay For and if I don't want to pay for it, I don't get it. I am there to enjoy being at sea and not a whole lot else matters.

I have stopped frequenting the spa as I choose not to pay double for a massage or facial on what I pay at my local beauty parlor. I would pay for a massage on the beach as that can be something special if the setting is right.

Well I agree they have to make money- X- I mean. It does not anoy me in the least- there is just this nice word with just two letters- as on this great T- Shirt- NO - or No Thank you!

The paper waste is anoying a agree! Those Special Inviations are to advertising nothing more nothing less- Spend a lot - get a bit!

What I find so - well but thats just my opinion - stupid are those " Art " auctions - not very much attended anyway! But they are there every since I can remember.

Unlike telemarketers, when you say thank you, no to a celebrity person trying to sell you something, they almost always stop and move on. Being from NYC, I guess I'm somewhat adept at just walking by folks who are trying to sell me something or draw me into a store.

I've certainly seen more "selling" on board recent cruises...but for specialty restaurants, for example, it's the perfect opportunity to say....sure I'd like to try the restaurant if you'll let my DW dine for free (or if you give me a 50% discount). If they say yes, it's a good deal...take it. If they say no...just walk on. You can do this with any of the "sales pitch" folks...spa...offer 50% for the service, etc. Turn those annoying sales pitches into discount opportunities.

Now when they start to interrupt my reading or relaxing on a deck chair, that's when I get annoyed....but that's not celebrity's style, so far.

Okay I'll probably get flamed but I just have to get this off my chest. There is a new review posted in the review section from someone who enjoyed their Celebrity cruise but only gave it a one star as he/she felt strongly that their cruise was ruined by the constant upsell while onboard. For the spa, restaurants, and drinks packages specifically. So much so that they would never cruise Celebrity again.

While everyone is entitled to their valid opinion, I have been on both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and both have exactly the same level of upsell for the exact same things. Am I alone here in thinking that the cruise lines run a business, and they are there to make money like any other business, and that's just the way of the world? I'm not picking on this specific reviewer, as there are many threads on this topic, but it just got me thinking.

Cruising is still the most affordable way to vacation, and the cruise lines give you an option of paying your base fare and not spending a cent more if you don't wish to. If you want to spend money on drinks, the spa and restaurants, that's your choice and they will make more money, which after all is their perfectly logical aim. If not, you don't have to, as the food in the buffet and dining room (included) is for the most part very good, and drinks are the same price as on land, with water, iced tea, juice, coffee etc freely provided. You don't need to go to the spa if you don't want to (as you would or wouldn't on land) and yes their prices are steep, as is any spa in a land based hotel. Yes they do have sales pitches everywhere but the staff are quite fine with you just ignoring them or saying no thanks.

We had a wonderful cruise last year on Celebrity and spent very little extra. Surely the cruise lines are entitled to keep their business running. If they didn't make money, they wouldn't be in business and we wouldn't be able to cruise. As long as they don't keep prices rising or continue to take away included options to make them fee paying options, I don't have an issue with this.

The other option is to pay an awful lot more and go on a premium all inclusive cruise line.

Each of us has a perspective and thus other person, you, others on this thread, etc.

I agree it is a business and as such they are trying to (hopefully) make money and do it in a way that retains customers. For me, they are at tables and I can say 'no thanks' and keep moving. I have never had them follow me! That would be over the top for me. Also, I have stopped many times, asked questions and then some times purchased.

I have NO problem with the promotions for all kinds of things, especially on day one. I do think at times beyond day one, think there are too many sale promotions. Some people would like no promotions, some might enjoy more.

It is a balance that cruise lines have to weigh.

Edited by shipshape sam

When the cruise lines upsell, I believe they are trying to make a profit but also informing you of other services available on the ship. They are also trying to increase your experience on the cruise. Yes sometimes it gets on your nerves because every time you turn around someone is trying to upsell you. This cruise line or any cruise line is in business to make a profit.

I had the premium package, also, so if I received a 20% discount, the bottle was even more expensive than I thought! :eek:

Why did you buy the bottle? if you both had the premium package and your wife's favourite was only $1.50 extra per glass, You could have ordered as many glasses as you wanted for only $1.50 per glass extra??

If she had the classic package each glass more expensive than the package limit would be an additional full cost payment.

with he premium you only pay the difference between the package and the full cost.

Why did you buy the bottle? if you both had the premium package and your wife's favourite was only $1.50 extra per glass, You could have ordered as many glasses as you wanted for only $1.50 per glass extra??

If she had the classic package each glass more expensive than the package limit would be an additional full cost payment.

with he premium you only pay the difference between the package and the full cost.

You did not read my post carefully. ;) It was not my wife (I am a female.) It was my cousin. She bought the Premium package because the bar tender told her that she could get ANYTHING she wanted under this package. When she ordered her favorite wine, she was told that it normally only came by the bottle, but that she could have it by the glass for another $1.50 upcharge. My cousin refused to pay the upcharge and buy a glass because of the principle of the thing. This went on for 3 days...her arguing with the bars and the Sommelier. She told us that the wine was excellent and she could buy the wine at her grocer for $17 a bottle when on sale and that the by the glass price was ridiculous.

Finally, my daughters and I had enough of hearing about it :D and decided to surprise her with a bottle at dinner. I had plenty of onboard credit and just ordered it. I had no idea what the cost would be or that I should have received 20% off (And maybe I did??? I'll see if I can find the receipt.) or that I could have used an Elite coupon (found in my room when packing up.) Anyway, it was a nice gesture on my part and my cousin appreciated it. Also, we never heard her complain again. ;)

UPDATE: Found receipt and I did receive a 20% on the bottle. With taxes and the auto gratuity, the bottle still came to $55.00.

PS - And you are correct. I could have purchased 36 glasses of wine for my cousin and come out at the same $$. The problem is, she would have never accepted the offer. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea
UPDATE:

....PS - And you are correct. I could have purchased 36 glasses of wine for my cousin and come out at the same $$. The problem is, she would have never accepted the offer. ;)

:D I can just see it! Your cousin sitting at the dinner table with 36 glasses of wine in front of her and everyone shouting "Chug, Chug, Chug". :D:p

:D I can just see it! Your cousin sitting at the dinner table with 36 glasses of wine in front of her and everyone shouting "Chug, Chug, Chug". :D:p

Brings up an interesting question.....

I know that you can not get a drink under classic/premium package and give to someone else. Question is....if you buy a bottle of wine using the package discount, can you share the bottle with someone else.....(in other words, what's in the small print). I know the practical answer...of course you can....but I just wonder if the small print allows it.

Re all the paper invitations: All that come from the shops about sales, art auctions, etc. are from the franchises that run the shops. X does not control how many they send out.

We have been told many times that all the paper that is thrown in the cabin waste cans is pulled out by the cabin attendants and recycled. Yes, they do make an effort to be a little greener.

And unfortunately it is obvious that because of the cutbacks in activities by X, more "fee" based items are going to be listed in the dailies. A new fact of life.

And she probably would have! LOL :eek:

Brings up an interesting question.....

I know that you can not get a drink under classic/premium package and give to someone else. Question is....if you buy a bottle of wine using the package discount, can you share the bottle with someone else.....(in other words, what's in the small print). I know the practical answer...of course you can....but I just wonder if the small print allows it.

Obviously it must be OK. Of the other 3 at our table, one person had no package at all, and the other two had the Classic package. The sommelier poured the wine for all 5 of us. BTW - Did I mention that my daughters and I thought the wine disgusting? :rolleyes: One of my daughters gave her glass to my cousin.

Edited by Iamthesea

I do think there has been a change in the last few months wrt beverage packages. If you don't have one every time you order a drink you are asked if you want to buy one by every bar server. I'm not sure if it's new or not but they are definitely getting a commission on selling them now. When you say no thank you for the 10th time they want to make sure you come find them if you decide to purchase.

Yes after the first 3 days it stops.