Upgrade fairy kidnapped - we have her!

Well, booked the Quantum May 2015 crossing whilst on a cruise in May 2014. We booked a Superior Ocean View Stateroom 8110 for 3 people.

Mid February RCI had a sale and I changed our booking to an inside and an outside guarantee saving $35, getting two rooms instead of one.

On April 1st, I checked my cruises account and both rooms had been upgraded, mine to a D8 balcony and Wifey to an obstructed view balcony.

Checked my cruises a couple of days ago and Wifey has been upgraded again, this time to a D1

In many years of cruising I have never heard of being upgraded twice on the same cruise so we are happy bunnies :D:D:D

Pete.

Well, booked the Quantum May 2015 crossing whilst on a cruise in May 2014. We booked a Superior Ocean View Stateroom 8110 for 3 people.

Mid February RCI had a sale and I changed our booking to an inside and an outside guarantee saving $35, getting two rooms instead of one.

On April 1st, I checked my cruises account and both rooms had been upgraded, mine to a D8 balcony and Wifey to an obstructed view balcony.

Checked my cruises a couple of days ago and Wifey has been upgraded again, this time to a D1

In many years of cruising I have never heard of being upgraded twice on the same cruise so we are happy bunnies :D:D:D

Pete.

Congratulations. This is indeed a very rare occurrence.

Pete.

Nice :) Congratulations ....

We got an upgrade to a GS once, I believe it was on our second cruise with RCI...we have booked a GS ever since!

Guess they did their homework and knew what they were doing...

Only thing about upgrades though, is that they do not ask you first....what if you had the room and location you wanted all along?

What if they were connecting with other family or friends?

We got an upgrade to a GS once, I believe it was on our second cruise with RCI...we have booked a GS ever since!

Guess they did their homework and knew what they were doing...

Only thing about upgrades though, is that they do not ask you first....what if you had the room and location you wanted all along?

What if they were connecting with other family or friends?

The one time we had an aft JS on the Liberty I just changed my upgrade preferences to 'don't upgrade' and then after that cruise changed back to upgrade automatically.

Pete

The one time we had an aft JS on the Liberty I just changed my upgrade preferences to 'don't upgrade' and then after that cruise changed back to upgrade automatically.

Pete

Funny you mention that. The only time we got an upgrade was the time we were booked in an aft on Liberty. I was upset until I saw the coffee maker and the closet in our JS.

Well don't let her go until I get there....grrrr.

I have a bone to pick with her!

Our upcoming sailing has 22 available Ds and they are starting to hand out upgrades like candy. I was willing to pay for an upsell... Problem is, here we are Diamond at last and a Gold member on our roll call has just received a balcony ahead of us.:mad: My faith in RCCl is quickly waning with the liquor debacle, etc. and now this.

Don't begrudge them their fairy visit, but it was my understanding that one of the Diamond perks was that the fairy would visit members from the top down to offer upgrades! All these points and not worth much anymore.

For the first time ever, this cheerleader is about to hand in her pom poms and try NCL Escape. Thinking of canceling our upcoming Liberty. I will take 4 cabins total with me too, family cruise!

What was really strange was a couple of days before the second upgrade I received this from my travel agent:

Hi Peter,

I just received an email regarding an upgrade....

You have already received a complementary upgrade for both rooms. However, the room that Carol and Mark are in is a Balcony Room with an Obstructed View. If you wanted to upgrade to an unobstructed view it would be an additional $450 total or the room.

Would you like to take advantage of the upgrade?

I turned it down because I was well happy with the rooms we had.

Pete

Don't begrudge them their fairy visit, but it was my understanding that one of the Diamond perks was that the fairy would visit members from the top down to offer upgrades! All these points and not worth much anymore.

Of course you begrudge them their fairy visit or you would not have commented. Nonetheless, maybe there is some other reason the gold member got upgraded. A honeymoon or special celebration they had reported when the booked? Some other reason you don't know about? I don't know.

Edited by legaljen1969
did not proofread well enough before pushing send

Our upcoming sailing has 22 available Ds and they are starting to hand out upgrades like candy. I was willing to pay for an upsell... Problem is, here we are Diamond at last and a Gold member on our roll call has just received a balcony ahead of us.:mad: My faith in RCCl is quickly waning with the liquor debacle, etc. and now this.

For the first time ever, this cheerleader is about to hand in her pom poms and try NCL Escape. Thinking of canceling our upcoming Liberty. I will take 4 cabins total with me too, family cruise!

Its not all about upgrading elite status from the top down. If you were both say in insides maybe you have a gripe.

On certain sailing, they may need to bring a big group of maintenance staff (or similiar) to work on something and upgrade a bunch of inside cabin passengers to free up those rooms for staff. (That actually happened to us - 2 cabins) we were given balconies (when we were still Gold) and way ahead of other C&A. So sometimes, its not quite as clear.

Although this sounds like you were jumped. sucks.

This lowly Gold member (who became Platinum after our first night on the last Cruise, yay) also received a visit from the upgrade fairy; we were moved from one balcony room with 4 in it, to 2 connecting balconies at no additional charge. Super happy about that!

You definitely have the upgrade box checked, right? Couldn't hurt to double check...

Enjoy NCL Escape.

I don't think priority upgrades is actually a diamond perk. According to the Royal Caribbean website it starts at diamond plus, with the crown and anchor only listed under Diamond Plus and Pinnacle for that benefit:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do

Priority Access on stateroom upgrades (if available)19

19 We may, in our sole discretion, offer complimentary upgrades to Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members if stateroom upgrades are available. Please provide the upgrade preference information requested below, which will be considered if a stateroom upgrade is offered to you. Neither upgrades nor upgrade preferences are guaranteed.

Congrats to the OP!

I attempted to speak to the Upgrade Fairy last week and mentioned that the cruise is over my B'day, hoping this might entice her to grant me a B'day present upgrade. The only thing I was offered was to spent an extra $3k in order to get a mini-suite! I declined the offer!

My cruise is 3 weeks away, with lots of availability - it's a more "exotic" repositioning route. I am happy with what I've got - a D8 when I booked an obstructed view balcony guarantee, but would not have turned down an extra "present" from RCCL!

I really don't know what Diamond has to do with it. We are Diamond and celebrated our 15 year anniversary last cruise. We were not upgraded, but it seems like everyone we spoke to were... from inside to outside, from outside to balcony, etc. Some of the people we spoke with were first time cruisers with no loyalty, so I really don't understand the mechanism either. Bottom line: book a room you are happy with!

We got an upgrade to a GS once, I believe it was on our second cruise with RCI

Same here, on a 15-night TA no less, so we don't feel we can complain too much when the fairy passes us over on any subsequent cruise.

we have booked a GS ever since!

Can't say that though. Just twice since, both because of paying for cheap last-minute upgrades.

As someone else said, you can't really know why some people get upgrades and some don't. In our case, we asked the Loyalty Ambassador a couple of days into the cruise, and he said it was because our original JS was next door to an accessible one, and they needed our room for a travelling companion.