Freedom -- Are cushions being replaced for balcony furniture

When FR was drydocked in Jan. 2015, they threw out the old cushions and were to replace them with new ones. When we sailed in Feb., 2015, this had not happened but the HD said the cushions were coming. The wicker furniture is very uncomfortable without cushions. A friend sailing on the ship said that the cushions have not come and they may not be replaced. I wonder if anyone has heard anything about whether these cushions will be replaced. Right now, if we are offered an upgrade to a GS for a fee, we will probably keep our JS as my back could not handle wicker furniture without cushions and I spend a lot of time on my balcony (don't go to the pool etc.). With the high price one pays for a suite, I would not want a room where I could not use the balcony.

When FR was drydocked in Jan. 2015, they threw out the old cushions and were to replace them with new ones. When we sailed in Feb., 2015, this had not happened but the HD said the cushions were coming. The wicker furniture is very uncomfortable without cushions. A friend sailing on the ship said that the cushions have not come and they may not be replaced. I wonder if anyone has heard anything about whether these cushions will be replaced. Right now, if we are offered an upgrade to a GS for a fee, we will probably keep our JS as my back could not handle wicker furniture without cushions and I spend a lot of time on my balcony (don't go to the pool etc.). With the high price one pays for a suite, I would not want a room where I could not use the balcony.

That doesn't sound good.

Ask for a big bunch of pillows! I would not accept sitting on bare wicker when you paid for proper balcony furniture.

They will get the message then, if you don't have the cushions! :D

We too spend a lot of time on our balcony.

Actually, the blue cushions were removed before dry dock. We were on the infamous 30 November 14 (2 nights in Nassau to removed the fixpod blades) and there were no cushions. We were in OS 1340. I asked the Concierge and stateroom attendant about the cushions I was told they had been removed from all Royal ships, and were not going to be replaced. Another cruiser from Canada that was on Freedom a few weeks after us in an OS was told the same answer. I guess when she was in a port the Navigator pulled up along side and the balcony furniture had the blue cushions. I guess someone forgot to tell that crew the cushions had been removed.

I hate to say it depends on the hotel director, and the Freedom has always been run a little different that other Royal ships. Actually, all there ships run as independent islands, no consistency between ships.

Simply, I would not count on them being replaced at any time.

Actually, the blue cushions were removed before dry dock. We were on the infamous 30 November 14 (2 nights in Nassau to removed the fixpod blades) and there were no cushions. We were in OS 1340. I asked the Concierge and stateroom attendant about the cushions I was told they had been removed from all Royal ships, and were not going to be replaced. Another cruiser from Canada that was on Freedom a few weeks after us in an OS was told the same answer. I guess when she was in a port the Navigator pulled up along side and the balcony furniture had the blue cushions. I guess someone forgot to tell that crew the cushions had been removed.

I hate to say it depends on the hotel director, and the Freedom has always been run a little different that other Royal ships. Actually, all there ships run as independent islands, no consistency between ships.

Simply, I would not count on them being replaced at any time.

Thanks and I think I will stick with a JS -- cheaper and the balcony furniture won't pull my back out.

Sherri, I'm with you on this one. We always book a grand suite, and I spend lots of time on the balcony. To relax on the wicker loungers without pads is like laying on a board, not relaxing at all! We are not going until July, but I think I'm going to email the corporate office on this? I know emailing Mike Rasmussen won't do any good because he doesn't answer emails and has already given conflicting information on the cushions.

Lois

Sherri, I'm with you on this one. We always book a grand suite, and I spend lots of time on the balcony. To relax on the wicker loungers without pads is like laying on a board, not relaxing at all! We are not going until July, but I think I'm going to email the corporate office on this? I know emailing Mike Rasmussen won't do any good because he doesn't answer emails and has already given conflicting information on the cushions.

Lois

Yeah I have heard his conflicting information -- in person in Feb. when he said the cushions would be delivered in a few weeks (regretting that they had thrown out the old ones) and a friend on board now who does not have cushions and says Michael says they are not getting them.

Ha! I think they say whatever pops into their head when someone asks a lounger question! On Mariner, I was told I couldn't have a cushion because they were brand new but they were being saved for Asia.:( The following year on the Navigator (no loungers at all), I was told they did away with them because too many passengers got drunk and fell off!:eek: From looking at other RCI ships in port and at other balconies on the Navigator, I concluded it was only GS passengers on the Navigator who have a drinking problem!!:p

I'm emailing Michael Bayley because it's ludicrous to have the furniture without pads and pay the price you do for a suite!
Please post your reply. As I said, we will stick with JSs unless the GS and up have cushions. My back is already in bad shape.

Please post your reply. As I said, we will stick with JSs unless the GS and up have cushions. My back is already in bad shape.

Sounds good, I will let you know! We don't work back breaking jobs to afford to cruise so that we can then break our backs on the stupid lounge chairs we are supposed to be relaxing on! haha..

Let me know how this plays out. -absolutely ridiculous, we are in an OS in sept but will be in a JS on May 3. I have not heard so a stupid response from the staff. Hopefully you will get a satisfactory answer. This is absolutely not acceptable.

I think that was the Hotel Director we had on Freedom in November. He was pretty condescending when we asked about the balcony furniture cushions at the suite guest cocktail party after he asked us if everything was OK.

We managed to secure multiple beach towels to make the furniture a little more comfortable. We had to do this every day since I stateroom attendant removed them. We asked him to leave them, but was never done.

I suggest some of you should contact Michael Bayley's office. I did about no loungers on Navigator at all in a GS a month or so ago. The woman who contacted me back had talked to the hotel manager on NOS who confirmed no loungers because of a "space ratio" on the balconies. So no GS on NOS had a lounger because they were too close together! Totally unacceptable to pay more for a GS and not have a lounger like the JS's do. She assured me that they were going to make this right and that I would have a lounger on my next Navigator GS cruise. We will see, as that is not until Sept. We will be in a JS in two weeks on NOS and I plan to check out the balconies of GS's. So now we see that at least two different ships have either no loungers, or unusable loungers for their suite passengers. This is insane!!

Edited by 39august

Thanks Bob.

Just so I have my ducks in a row, when were the cushions removed from FOS? Was it during the drydock in January?

And one more thing, when emailing RC about something of this nature (a complaint), do you usually reference your upcoming (or prior) reservation number?

Edited by jules815

jules85,

My wife and I had the Owners Suite 1340 on 30 November 2014 Cruise, and we did not have cushions for our balcony furniture. This was about 4 weeks before the dry dock.

Our stateroom attendant had no idea when they were removed. Since he never went out onto the balcony to clean. He just took our towels we used as cushions and left the dirty glasses.

You can reference our stateroom # in your email.

Edited by ltjn

I suggest some of you should contact Michael Bayley's office. I did about no loungers on Navigator at all in a GS a month or so ago. The woman who contacted me back had talked to the hotel manager on NOS who confirmed no loungers because of a "space ratio" on the balconies. So no GS on NOS had a lounger because they were too close together! Totally unacceptable to pay more for a GS and not have a lounger like the JS's do. She assured me that they were going to make this right and that I would have a lounger on my next Navigator GS cruise. We will see, as that is not until Sept. We will be in a JS in two weeks on NOS and I plan to check out the balconies of GS's. So now we see that at least two different ships have either no loungers, or unusable loungers for their suite passengers. This is insane!!

I got the same assurance...in April 2014.

I just sent an email to Michael Bayley. We'll see if I get a reply.

This entire thing is really upsetting to me. Especially hearing that a ship's officer was condescending to a passenger who asked about the missing cushions. That's just not right. We paid dearly for our OS (b2b) even with BOGOHO. :( I'm not even on board yet and I'm already disappointed.

Maybe they'll roll out the new cushions as a suite perk. :rolleyes:

We're on Navigator next month, so we're definitely going to send an email.

Last year we were on Navigator twice and had to ask for a lounger both times for our GS. On the last night of our last cruise, we returned to the room planning to enjoy our balcony and we were shocked that the lounger had been removed!! If we don't have a lounge chair next month we will definitely be canceling one (or many more) of our six scheduled trips!