FLL Pier Agents losing their jobs?

iipa

Here in NYC, the Manhattan Cruiseship Terminal's, while owned by the Port Authority, has contractors providing check-in services for the various different cruiselines that call here regularly, or occasionally. The contractor changes periodically. The same applies to the Brooklyn Cruiseship terminal, even though only Princess or Cunard regularly sail from there.

Over at Bayonne, (Cape Liberty), only RCCL--RCI and Celebrity, regularly sail from there, but there are still contractor's providing all services.

Then aboard the ships...many of what passenger's believe are Line employee's, are contractor supplied as well....shops, photographer's, spa, certain entertainer's....quite a few are from 'outside' companies, that wear the Line uniforms.

And even the reservation's offices....I bet much of that is 'outsourced' as well...

You do understand the RCL CEO just got $12 million!

Couldn't he have survived on $2 million and left those jobs alone!

I'd take 2 million, how about you Rocket?

That's fantastic. If I had his record at RCI, I wouldn't settle for anything less.

Feel free to submit your resume and see if RCI thinks you're worth $2M.

Nonsense!

CEO salaries in 2013 were over 300 times the average worker!

CEO salaries in 1996 were 100 times the average worker!

You think they are smarter now, better then in 1996, by 200 times?

The system is broken, the top are taking it all!:mad:

No more excuses, look at the facts!:mad:

While these low paid workers are being let go, the RCL CEO got $12 million!:eek:

So are you saying that any CEO that makes more than an certain number can't do anything else to cut costs but take a pay cut?

Do I think CEOs make too much money yes, like most people I figure after a certain amount you don't need any more money, but companies and boards have decided that CEOs that can improve a companies bottom line deserve to get paid more.

Not sure where people get the salaries from but the 2 places I checked show about 6 mil which is 1/2 what others have said and down almost 2 million from 2010?

http://insiders.morningstar.com/trading/executive-compensation.action?t=RCL

And even the reservation's offices....I bet much of that is 'outsourced' as well...

The cruise industry has always used agents to a degree for port operations. That is how they are able to operate seasonally and re-deploy ships so easily.

RCI have outsourced most of their call center reservations functions globally to Xerox, with call centers in the Netherlands and Guatemala among others.

RCI received lucrative incentives to open a Oregon call center back in 2006. The state of Oregon provided $1.3 million in incentives, including a $600,000 loan. The company was required to pay back only around $64,000.

So are you saying that any CEO that makes more than an certain number can't do anything else to cut costs but take a pay cut?

Do I think CEOs make too much money yes, like most people I figure after a certain amount you don't need any more money, but companies and boards have decided that CEOs that can improve a companies bottom line deserve to get paid more.

Not sure where people get the salaries from but the 2 places I checked show about 6 mil which is 1/2 what others have said and down almost 2 million from 2010?

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/royal-caribbean-ceos-2014-compensation-rose-to-$12m.html

(Sorry it wouldn't post as a link for some reason)

Edited by joepeka

Salary figures for last 3 years from SEC filings on April 17, 2015

image.jpg1_zpsmdc8wl0l.jpg

It does seem to me that this thread has wondered a bit from the original subject.

If Intercruises is the company that will be hired by RCI as their Fort Lauderdale Pier Agents, based upon my most recent experiences on HAL cruises where these folks were at work, RCI guests will be pleased. When Worldwide Services were replaced by HAL and Intercruises was hired, there was the same kind of "breast beating" that is taking place on this thread. My experience with Intercruise employed agents: just as friendly and competent, maybe even more so than before, sympathetic to CPB "regulations" that make little sense for a disembarking guest, and quite efficient and seem to be well informed when asked a question.

If these folks are now making a lesser wage with fewer benefits, I regret that would be the case. If they are unhappy with such a situation, they could quit. But, does that kind of a change in wages/benefits scenario affect the cruise guest experience? Not from what I have observed.

Yes, many employees accepted the same position for less compensation....myself included.

Why?....because we love our jobs and we have other sources of income.

Where will you notice any difference?

Longer check in lines.....double or more what it was a year ago with new hires at the counter.

Fewer wheelchairs available.....sometimes more than 1 hour wait for one.

Many fewer staff for disembarkation...can't find your bag?

Otherwise you'll hardly notice any difference.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

Nonsense!

CEO salaries in 2013 were over 300 times the average worker!

CEO salaries in 1996 were 100 times the average worker!

You think they are smarter now, better then in 1996, by 200 times?

The system is broken, the top are taking it all!:mad:

No more excuses, look at the facts!:mad:

While these low paid workers are being let go, the RCL CEO got $12 million!:eek:

In most cases the CEOs of those companies are worth every penny of it to the shareholders who employ them. And you know who a lot of those shareholders are? Yours and my 401(k)s. CEO is a tough job and they usually don't last that long (for a variety of reasons, good and bad). If they weren't worth that much to the company they would not be paid that. It is very naive to suggest that CEO pay is why outsourcing needs to be done. It is just the market functioning as it should.

Salary figures for last 3 years from SEC filings on April 17, 2015

image.jpg1_zpsmdc8wl0l.jpg

It looks like about $3M cash to me. You can't really count the equity awards. Those are really just hypothetical numbers and he may never earn any of it (depending on his performance and share price).

You do understand the RCL CEO just got $12 million!

Couldn't he have survived on $2 million and left those jobs alone!

I'd take 2 million, how about you Rocket?

He probably could have survived on $2 Million, but it wouldn´t have changed a thing. If he had said "OK I take a $10 Million pay cut" he still could not have left those Jobs alone. It´s a decision he had to make for the Company and it has nothing to do with his own salary. Actually if he had left those Jobs alone he should have been fired alltogether.

As it´s been often said on the tipping threads. It´s non of my Business what the People make a month.

On the same page, if you think the Pier agents in FLL don´t earn enough now that they are outsourced and you´d have been happy to pay a Little more for your cruise (despite the fact I just read a thread complaining about higher cruise fares) to prevent the Outsourcing, how about just giving whatever you would have been happy to pay more for the cruise as a tip to the Pier agents?

There´s always two sides. While it´s sure unfortunate for those losing their Jobs now, I´m sure those working for the subcontractor are happy to have a Job now.

He probably could have survived on $2 Million, but it wouldn´t have changed a thing. If he had said "OK I take a $10 Million pay cut" he still could not have left those Jobs alone. It´s a decision he had to make for the Company and it has nothing to do with his own salary. Actually if he had left those Jobs alone he should have been fired alltogether.

Actually, financially speaking, in the grand scheme of things, the decision to outsource is so minor he may not even had any say in it - some lower level manager took that decision.

One other to consider for the folks who make these ignorant statements about the 1% - every extra dollar that the 1% make, provides up to 40 cents of revenue to the gov't - every extra dollar the pier agent (or take your choice of low paid worker) makes, nets the gov't next to nothing.:cool: