Oh no not the tipping question again

Elorac123

I do think HAL ought to be more up front about the impact of removing the HSC and then tipping out of hand. We can debate all we want whether or not it ought to be that way but the requirement that the crew member surrender such tips should be somehow published or better known.

I wish they would add it to the fare and be done. That way people can make the choice on whether they want to cruise or not. I've been unemployed for about 3 months now. I would never remove the hsc to save cash. This may be the last cruise I take for a while if things don't turn around for me. I will not make my problem the crews problem.

Edited by cruz chic

I wish they would add it to the fare and be done. That way people can make the choice on whether they want to cruise or not. I've been unemployed for about 3 months now. I would never remove the hsc to save cash. This may be the last cruise I take for a while if things don't turn around for me. I will not make my problem the crews problem.

I would also like to see it added to the fare and would go even further to have crew refuse any additional tips. The very best service I have ever received have been in establishments where service providers have kindly denied my tips, stating that everything has been taken care of and that it was a pleasure to take care of things for me.

My gratuities add up to $160 , I have stayed in many hotels and have never tipped that much after a weeks stay.

Your tip isn't just for your hotel stay in this case. You have in essence 2 cabin stewards everyday with service twice a day, not once like a standard hotel. 2 waiters at dinner each night for dinner, 1-2 at breakfast,lunch, and afternoon tea.

In the end it is your vacation and you are going to tip however you choose, but you should be able to make an educated decision.

I don't doubt what you say, but what you describe only works on expensive cruise lines that can offer preferable terms of employments for the crew.

The hotel service charge works for the HAL market with generally favorable results. I realize that it does allow HAL to understate the cost of the cruise and that can cause some bad feelings.

igraf

Our last three cruises have been on a line that includes tips/gratuities/whatever in the fare. We've actually talked about it and neither of us has any perception that the service was anything other than excellent to exceptional.

Funny thing was that on our very first day of our first cruise with this line three years ago we were greeted by a ex-HAL employee who remembered us from three or four cruises with her on HAL. During the cruise she'd stop and chat with us often asking how was the service and was there anything she could do for us. One of our discussions was about the high level of service and her explanation was straight forward and simple....they simply did not tolerate bad service. New staff were actually often hired away from other cruise lines with attention paid to recommendations, etc. Whether experienced or new to cruising all were assigned to an experienced staff member as a mentor and trainer. Bottom line, and this may sound harsh, but staff or crew who didn't measure up were quickly dismissed. Supposedly this line pays more, expects more, and doesn't suffer poor performers well.

This is from the "House Rules" for HAL employees:

TIPPING NOT REQUIRED POLICY

All ships have the Rewards for Excellence (RfE) Plan which

consists of Hotel Service Charges and Beverage Service

Charges. If a guest chooses to adjust out of the RfE Plan

and instead provide cash tips to an employee, the employee

is required to turn in this cash to their Department Head

so the money can be added to the RfE plan. Any “tips”

received above and beyond the guests standard amount

may be kept by the crewmember.

That is the first time I have seen that posted in all the tip/HSC discussions I have read here on CC. And I am sure many will call into question it's authenticity, but it backs up what so many regulars have posted here through the years,

Edited by Boytjie

[/b]

That is the first time I have seen that posted in all the tip/HSC discussions I have read here on CC. And I am sure many will call into question it's authenticity, but it backs up what so many regulars have posted here through the years,

Tipping Not Required was dropped over a decade ago. It's not necessarily that the policy is inauthentic, but it is certainly an old, old policy, long past its expiration date. The last time the Tipping Not Required policy was in effect, you could smoke most everywhere, and no one winced about dressing for dinner.

Edited by POA1

Tipping Not Required was dropped over a decade ago. It's not necessarily that the policy is inauthentic, but it is certainly an old, old policy, long past its expiration date. The last time the Tipping Not Required policy was in effect, you could smoke most everywhere, and no one winced about dressing for dinner.

I understand that Tipping Not Required was dropped by HAL long ago but perhaps the terminology lingers on in this policy that does seem to match what many have posted here regarding the HSC and polling tips and it does mentions Hotel Service Charges and Beverage Service Charges.

Edited by Boytjie

I understand that Tipping Not Required was dropped by HAL long ago but perhaps the terminology lingers on in this policy that does seem to match what many have posted here regarding the HSC and polling tips and it does mentions Hotel Service Charges and Beverage Service Charges.

I'd be more inclined to believe it if there was a link to an official site, or a photo of it posted on a ship. People do make things up. (Potential new project idea....)

BTW - Here's the "House Rules." Be forewarned that this site will open up a whole new can of worms. I checked the WHOIS, and it's registered to Holland America in Seattle.

http://welcome2hal.com/houserules.php#

Edited by POA1

I'd be more inclined to believe it if there was a link to an official site, or a photo of it posted on a ship. People do make things up. (Potential new project idea....)

BTW - Here's the "House Rules." Be forewarned that this site will open up a whole new can of worms. I checked the WHOIS, and it's registered to Holland America in Seattle.

Great find POA1.

Should be rules for passengers too!!!!

Anyone want to start a list?

1. Passengers should not interfere with HSC unless you inform in writing with Captain and Hotel Manager and copy post on Passenger Notice Board.

Thanks for this. :):cool:

In retrospect I've thought about what if I'd taken a picture of the list of passengers/cabins removing or reducing the HSC I saw on the Maasdam. At the time it never crossed my mind. I actually was surprised by the list and had one those "I ought not to be seeing this" moments. I can honestly say I didn't stand there and read the list. I imagine if I took a picture some folks would say that was an invasion of privacy issue on my part. While some have questioned whether or not I actually saw the list I've decided that my personal angst at being questioned notwithstanding it is better that I didn't and wouldn't take a picture.

In retrospect I've thought about what if I'd taken a picture of the list of passengers/cabins removing or reducing the HSC I saw on the Maasdam. At the time it never crossed my mind. I actually was surprised by the list and had one those "I ought not to be seeing this" moments. I can honestly say I didn't stand there and read the list. I imagine if I took a picture some folks would say that was an invasion of privacy issue on my part. While some have questioned whether or not I actually saw the list I've decided that my personal angst at being questioned notwithstanding it is better that I didn't and wouldn't take a picture.

But do you believe the list was for general business practices or was it created for punitive purposes? I tend to think of it as informational only.

Should be rules for passengers too!!!!

Anyone want to start a list?

1. Passengers should not interfere with HSC unless you inform in writing with Captain and Hotel Manager and copy post on Passenger Notice Board.

The rules are outlined by HAL. Good thing you're not in charge, single mom's would be wearing scarlet letters [emoji57]

That certainly spells out a lot of topics that are often argued about here - but I can't find the paragraph quoted in post #69. Maybe that is from an older version? Edited by catl331

But do you believe the list was for general business practices or was it created for punitive purposes? I tend to think of it as informational only.

Again kind of a semantics thing in my mind. The list was headed up across the top with a notice in English and three other languages that I assume repeated the English. The gist of the English was along the lines of "Below is a list of passengers/cabins that have removed or reduced the HSC. Staff are reminded that any tips received from the listed passengers/cabins are required to be turned in to their supervisor. Failure to do so could result in disciplinary action." I guess you could see that as informational though it also serves as a warning of potential unspecified punitive action.

That certainly spells out a lot of topics that are often argued about here - but I can't find the paragraph quoted in post #69. Maybe that is from an older version?

Or fabricated. There are versions in the Internet Wayback Machine** that go back about 6 years. I couldn't find the quoted text. IMHO, that's enough basic research to shift the burden of proof back.

**It's a real thing. web.archive.org

The rules are outlined by HAL. Good thing you're not in charge, single mom's would be wearing scarlet letters [emoji57]

Why would that be a problem? Even the rules for crew...

"You are not allowed to change cabin unless with permission from Captain and Hotel Manager." ;)

Rule No. 2. Marriages made on board the vessel are for the duration of the cruise only. :D

True, but all we have had so far on this are posters telling us what they have been told. ;)

Interesting. :)

Not necessarily. Being an unwed mother does not mean you committed adultery. If neither party to the union was married, no adultery was committed, hence no scarlet letter would be needed.