Aquarium class cabin

vada_9

I am really not sure how you can expect anyone here to answer that question.

The size of Aquarium class cabins varies greatly between lines. I know that I personally would not be happy in a cabin that measured 130-140 sq ft for a week.

AMA's aquarium class cabins are 160-170 sq ft depending on the boat. Our friends always choose one of these as budget is a big priority for them; they have always been very happy. We prefer French or true balcony.

Only you can decide what your personal tastes and preferences are, not we as total strangers.

We were. First of all, we were hardly ever in in. Used it mainly for sleeping/showers/changing clothes. The sq footage was actually a bit larger that the cabins above us that had veranda's. The service was the same if you were in a cabin on the lowest deck or in a suite, the tours were the same, as was the food. Of course on a warmer weather itinerary I would love at lease a French Balcony, but the difference in prince may not be worth it to me.

I had a couple of photos of our cabin (Viking Odin) but for some reason I can't get them to post. However, the link below is to my public FB page. Click on that to see a picture.

I've stayed in Category D as well as a Category A cabin on AMA and I found that the cabin size is identical 170 sq. ft. Obviously the size of the window is much smaller. When we sailed in the summer on the Danube we did use the French Balcony quite often. However, when we sailed in late March on the Rhine we were in a Cat D and I don't think I would have opened the French Balcony as it was freezing outside!! If you can afford it and the weather is agreeable go for the upgrade, otherwise in my opinion it's not worth it!

Hi all,

Will I be happy with an "Aquarium class" cabin on a European Christmas market river cruise?

We cruised twice in Aquarium Class on Avalon. We were very happy. On Avalon the Aquarium Class is the same square footage as other cabins except the two suites. The windows are larger than you imagine. When you look out you have a lovely view. We are not stay in the cabin people. All River Cruise ships have very lovely open decks and panoramic indoor lounges. Both of our itineraries had very little daytime sailing. If you do have a balcony well then you can't see the other side of the river. To us it's not about being budget conscious. We just don't like to spend money on things that are not important to us. You will be treated as well as everyone else on the cruise.

Tauck's newest ships have a category 3, lowest deck cabin, at 225 square feet with a window that is two decks high and opens remotely at the top. They are called loft cabins and look very interesting, check them out.

We're mini-suite regulars on Princess, but we always take the "Aquarium" cabins on Viking. The cabin is the same (if not larger) size as the veranda cabins and we are rarely in the cabin on river cruises. Most of the time we're either outside or up on deck or in the lounge where the party is. On our last cruise (Bordeaux, 2014), several of our new friends had veranda cabins and said that they never used them. For some cruises (Danube & Rhine for example), a veranda may be useful for long stretches of daylight cruising but you will miss the activities in the lounge/deck.

I don't see the value - the lower cabins are just fine for river cruising, IMO.

We weren't sure about this either, but for our first cruise this August we booked an aquarium class cabin based on comments from people here on the minimum amount of time spent in the room. We decided it was better to start with the lowest class cabin and if we were happy, great, we didn't waste any money. If we don't like the small windows, then we know next time to pay more.

As of right now there are still at least a dozen higher grade cabins still available on our sailing (although I know that will change as the date approaches). I figure if there are still any vacancies when we board, we could always ask about the cost of an upgrade if we're unhappy with our cabin.

As Caviargal said its impossible for one of us to answer your question because it depends so much on your personal needs. For example: the 140 sq. ft. cabin is comfortable for me BUT I need to have a french balcony that I can open to the outside because I tend to claustrophobia and get a little squirrely if I can't breathe fresh air or feel like I have an "escape route". :D

Thanks for the quick responses. I know no-one can answer that question, but was after some balanced arguements. Most brochures etc only show the balcony cabins. Being winter daylight should be from 8 am to 4pm approx so don't really think I would be wanting to sit outside too much.

I think the time of year is very key here. On a Christmas Markets cruise, you will likely use the balcony or french balcony less than at any other time of year. Not only will it be really cold, the days are also going to be very short. It will most likely get dark between 4 and 5 pm. We are going on one in December, and noticed that on this cruise, the cheapest cabins book much faster than the rest. There is a significant price difference and I guess many people are thinking the same way I am - less spent on the cabin, more to spend at the markets!

I agree with many posters above, since you'll be cruising in December with short daylight hours I'd go for the least expensive cabin available. You won't be in your cabin except to rest and sleep, the comforts are the same, amenities, etc. Enjoy your travels whichever cabin you choose.

Lots of good advice here... you really do need to figure out what is a "must have" and what is a "nice if you can get it... but don't need it" item on this trip.

We always try to book Aquarium class, as the balcony (French or otherwise) isn't important to us. We did book a French balcony once - and, while it was nice - wasn't worth the money for us.

Christmas markets do add another level of complexity in that the days are so short, you might not get the enjoyment out of the balcony that you would with longer, warmer days.

It is a good idea to look at room size (if that is important....). On the Viking long ships, the Aquarium class cabins are actually larger than the French Balcony ones (centre hall shifted to make room for actual balconies...).

We also like the window ledge in Aquarium class. We find we can do a bit of hand washing, and lay the items out on a towel to dry.

Whatever your choice - enjoy!!

Fran

As others have said, the equation is quite different in the summer. I'm not sure a real balcony would be worth the upcharge even then, but a French balcony gives you a gorgeous wall-to-wall view even if you never open the door. In winter, with the sun setting so early, you may never see the view -- so why pay for it?

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I know that I'm in the minority in that the size of the room is really important to me and an actual all weather balcony such as Uniworld and I believe Scenic as well(Don't know about AMA) is a big selling point to me but not for just the scenic aspect of it. I am quite an early riser compared to my wife. Some of my favorite parts of the trip was to get a cup of coffee and go on the balcony and shut the door and read for an hour or so or watch the scenery pass by. We also found the extra space really nice as my wife takes a great deal longer to get ready for dinner and again I could take a beer(or two) on the balcony and just relax without being in the way or looking anxious. Just a slightly different view on the subject.

I know that I'm in the minority in that the size of the room is really important to me and an actual all weather balcony such as Uniworld and I believe Scenic as well(Don't know about AMA) is a big selling point to me but not for just the scenic aspect of it. I am quite an early riser compared to my wife. Some of my favorite parts of the trip was to get a cup of coffee and go on the balcony and shut the door and read for an hour or so or watch the scenery pass by. We also found the extra space really nice as my wife takes a great deal longer to get ready for dinner and again I could take a beer(or two) on the balcony and just relax without being in the way or looking anxious. Just a slightly different view on the subject.

We do the same thing when we go on ocean cruises and for the same reason, except I'M the one sitting on the balcony watching the ocean go by every morning with a cup of coffee and my binoculars. On river cruises we get the french balcony because our line of choice doesn't have full balconies.

I'm not sure what you mean by an all weather balcony. Are you speaking of the French Balcony? All river cruise ships in Europe are the same width due to the locks they need to get through. So a cabin with a balcony in which you can step out onto and close the door behind you takes space from the interior of the cabin. They have to get the space from somewhere. I loved having the French Balcony but if it means you can't afford to go then it's not worth it. The Sundeck is pretty nice!!

Hydrokitty,

Only the newest 3 ships with Uniworld have the full balconies. When I was researching my first trip the balcony was a major reason I chose the SS Antoinette with Uniworld. Thankfully they now have the Catherine in France and launched the Maria Theresa last month on the Danube. We are booked on the Maria Theresa for our Christmas cruise and I'm so excited that the balcony is all weather with the touch of the button so I can have the same experience in winter.

I'm not sure what you mean by an all weather balcony. Are you speaking of the French Balcony? All river cruise ships in Europe are the same width due to the locks they need to get through. So a cabin with a balcony in which you can step out onto and close the door behind you takes space from the interior of the cabin. They have to get the space from somewhere. I loved having the French Balcony but if it means you can't afford to go then it's not worth it. The Sundeck is pretty nice!!

Uniworld's SS Catherine, SS Antoinette, and SS Maria have a balcony that you can either have the window down for open air or when you put it up it is like an atrium. They have two soft upholstered chairs and a small table. On the SS Antoinette that we sailed on last July there is even a tv on the balcony. I'm assuming their two new ships have that as well but not sure(will know in December when I sail on the Maria Theresa) So in essence it give you a small extra room or when you have the window up you can open the balcony doors and have it just increase the floor area. Hope this helps

Scenic have step out balconies which convert into what they call a "sun lounge" by a glass panel rising to close it off from the weather.

So you still ahev a separate space where you can sit whatever the weather.

Hydrokitty,

Only the newest 3 ships with Uniworld have the full balconies. When I was researching my first trip the balcony was a major reason I chose the SS Antoinette with Uniworld. Thankfully they now have the Catherine in France and launched the Maria Theresa last month on the Danube. We are booked on the Maria Theresa for our Christmas cruise and I'm so excited that the balcony is all weather with the touch of the button so I can have the same experience in winter.

The new Uniworld ships have only a handful of true balcony cabins, namely suites. We are in a Cat 2 and that is a French balcony with the button to push to fully open the doors to the outside. This is not what I consider a true balcony as it is only the door that opens fully and not a balcony separate from the cabin with its own table and chairs.

With AMA's Amacerto and later ships, there are multiple categories with twin balconies, one outdoor and one indoor. We have had them all and really like the AA, AB which are 235 sq ft total. French balconies are 170 sq ft so the true balcony does not take away from the indoor space.

With Tauck, there is no supplement for single occupancy of an 'Aquarium' class cabin.

On my cruise in May of last year that represented a saving of $8000 compared to single occupancy of the next higher category.

At 150 sq.ft , and in terms of it's lay out, the cabin was very comfortable.

The new Uniworld ships have only a handful of true balcony cabins, namely suites. We are in a Cat 2 and that is a French balcony with the button to push to fully open the doors to the outside. This is not what I consider a true balcony as it is only the door that opens fully and not a balcony separate from the cabin with its own table and chairs.

With AMA's Amacerto and later ships, there are multiple categories with twin balconies, one outdoor and one indoor. We have had them all and really like the AA, AB which are 235 sq ft total. French balconies are 170 sq ft so the true balcony does not take away from the indoor space.

I believe there are 10 suites on the Maria Theresa and they are 305 sf. total. I think on the Antoinette there are 8. As a previous poster stated budget is a foremost concern. I only posted because so many CC members are not concerned with the size of the cabin since they spend so little time in it. My post was meant for those who enjoy some leisurely time in the cabin to prepare and recover from such a port intensive trip. I'm so glad as this thread shows there are so many options with wonderful lines and so many choices on each ship to meet many different budget and personal preferences. To the OP, river cruising is such a wonderful and addictive experience you will most likely enjoy it no matter which cabin you ultimately choose.

I believe there are 10 suites on the Maria Theresa and they are 305 sf. total. I think on the Antoinette there are 8. As a previous poster stated budget is a foremost concern. I only posted because so many CC members are not concerned with the size of the cabin since they spend so little time in it. My post was meant for those who enjoy some leisurely time in the cabin to prepare and recover from such a port intensive trip. I'm so glad as this thread shows there are so many options with wonderful lines and so many choices on each ship to meet many different budget and personal preferences. To the OP, river cruising is such a wonderful and addictive experience you will most likely enjoy it no matter which cabin you ultimately choose.

So true.....river cruising easily becomes an addiction!!