E Cigarettes

ecib1

FYI, website already changed under FAQ's and smoking policy. It now reads:

"The use of electronic cigarettes is ALLOWED within the confines of the guest's stateroom or suite (verandas not included) and designated smoking areas only."

So my interpretation is e-cigs are allowed in any cabin and designated smoking areas only but no verandas and inside spaces on the ship It's a shame they did not eliminate the cabins as well and just make it an all out non-smoking policy with the exception of designated smoking areas only. Maybe that will eventually come, but for now we know we can enjoy our balcony and public areas on the ship. Progress.

My read of O's answer was that smoking would be allowed in non-public areas.

Let's just say that Mr. Montague's wording is less clearly expressed than the current wording on the web site, but they both say the same thing. E-cigarette smokers make smoke in public places that are already designated as smoking areas. However, the acceptable area for e-cigarette smokes has been expanded to include one's own suite or stateroom.

Let's see how long that ruling holds when the housekeeping staff has to give the soft goods in the room an extra cleaning between cruises when the smell of the scented e-cigarettes starts permeating the drapes and the upholstery. Here's the way Blu, an e-cig manufacturer describes its Vivid Vanilla product: "The Vivid Vanilla e-cigarette flavor cartridge combines the complex floral aroma of Tahitian Vanilla with the rich, velvety flavor of Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla." I located a board which includes smokers discussing the smell of e-cigarettes and the majority agreed that the answer depends on the flavor. Some flavors smell while they are being smoked but dissipate quickly. Other flavors smell while they are being smoked but take longer to dissipate. Flavors that mimic tobacco rather than fruit leave a film on clothes and surfaces. Other flavors don't smell at all.

Again, I suggest that Oceania really hasn't done due diligence before allowing e-cigarettes in private accommodations. A large enough group of flavors have noticeable odors that Oceania is going to be fielding complaints from cruisers.

And, yes, I will be writing a note to that effect to Oceania management.

Let's just say that Mr. Montague's wording is less clearly expressed than the current wording on the web site, but they both say the same thing. E-cigarette smokers make smoke in public places that are already designated as smoking areas. However, the acceptable area for e-cigarette smokes has been expanded to include one's own suite or stateroom.

Let's see how long that ruling holds when the housekeeping staff has to give the soft goods in the room an extra cleaning between cruises when the smell of the scented e-cigarettes starts permeating the drapes and the upholstery. Here's the way Blu, an e-cig manufacturer describes its Vivid Vanilla product: "The Vivid Vanilla e-cigarette flavor cartridge combines the complex floral aroma of Tahitian Vanilla with the rich, velvety flavor of Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla." I located a board which includes smokers discussing the smell of e-cigarettes and the majority agreed that the answer depends on the flavor. Some flavors smell while they are being smoked but dissipate quickly. Other flavors smell while they are being smoked but take longer to dissipate. Flavors that mimic tobacco rather than fruit leave a film on clothes and surfaces. Other flavors don't smell at all.

Again, I suggest that Oceania really hasn't done due diligence before allowing e-cigarettes in private accommodations. A large enough group of flavors have noticeable odors that Oceania is going to be fielding complaints from cruisers.

And, yes, I will be writing a note to that effect to Oceania management.

Just wrote to Oceania as well!

Stay tuned. Just spoke to Oceania. I asked them what their policy was on e-cigs. Person went on to tell me that they are being handled just like tobacco products - use only in the designated outdoor smoking areas. I then pointed out the current wording on their website. She told me IT will need to change that. Said they were all notified on Friday of the revised policy on e-cigs/vapors - they will be treated as tobacco products and only in designated outdoor smoking areas - no indoor spaces nor cabins or verandahs. I am hopeful that that is so and that the revised policy just needs to catch up with the website after the weekend. She was emphatic about this being the new policy. We'll see.

From the first reading of Mr. Montague's email I thought all was well and I didn't need to re-send my initial email to him. Now I see that I had better weigh in.

(I do have to say that on our recent Marina cruise (left the ship in NYC on May 7th) we didn't see any e-cigs around. But then we didn't go to any of the bars.) And when walking across the pool deck on the "wrong side" I didn't smell any smoke at all, which hasn't always been the case.

I do agree that permitting e-cigs in the stateroom is a bad idea. Too many of us have chosen O precisely because of the very limited smoking (would love to see the cigars disappear, however) ... they risk losing those of us who don't want e-cigs around us either.

Mura

Stay tuned. Just spoke to Oceania. I asked them what their policy was on e-cigs. Person went on to tell me that they are being handled just like tobacco products - use only in the designated outdoor smoking areas. I then pointed out the current wording on their website. She told me IT will need to change that. Said they were all notified on Friday of the revised policy on e-cigs/vapors - they will be treated as tobacco products and only in designated outdoor smoking areas - no indoor spaces nor cabins or verandahs. I am hopeful that that is so and that the revised policy just needs to catch up with the website after the weekend. She was emphatic about this being the new policy. We'll see.

Thanks for following up. But, "wait and see" is probably not the best course of action. So, just to make sure the staterooms are also "no smoking (E or otherwise )," I still suggest that each of you reading this, write to the O execs. Once again, here's the website with their individual contact info.

Am I dreaming, or is the restriction of E-Cigarettes on cruise ships not only the vapors, but the chargers are/were an electrical hazard?? Fires started because of the chargers???

That's why I thought they were not allowed.

I like Oceania's restrictive smoking policy, so I'm in favor of restricting them too, but I thought there are 2 reasons why.... No?

Thanks for following up. But, "wait and see" is probably not the best course of action. So, just to make sure the staterooms are also "no smoking (E or otherwise )," I still suggest that each of you reading this, write to the O execs. Once again, here's the website with their individual contact info.

Weird. Either I forgot to repost the website (elliott.org/company-contacts/oceania-cruises) or it somehow disappeared. If it isn't in this post, scroll back up to my earlier message.

We definitely will not book another cruise on Oceania until this is all sorted out. I know people with family members who use e-cigs and the smell in clothing, furniture, etc. is definitely an issue. The vapor doesn't disappear as some claim. The droplets permeate carpeting, draperies, bedding. So the cabin is going to stink of whatever flavor the person has been vaping.

We definitely will not book another cruise on Oceania until this is all sorted out. I know people with family members who use e-cigs and the smell in clothing, furniture, etc. is definitely an issue. The vapor doesn't disappear as some claim. The droplets permeate carpeting, draperies, bedding. So the cabin is going to stink of whatever flavor the person has been vaping.

Though I understand your concern, telling CC that you may end your O relationship achieves little. In the time it takes to post a CC reply, the e-mail I suggested earlier (now modified to include a comment about "no e-cigs" in the staterooms) you (and others) could write directly to the top three O execs. See

(elliott.org/company-contacts/oceania-cruises) for contact info.

CC folks: please post here a short note if you've sent the e-mail and indicate what, if any reply you have received. It is clear that Mr Montague et al. listen and respond to passenger input. Don't waste that opportunity.

CC folks: please post here a short note if you've sent the e-mail and indicate what, if any reply you have received. It is clear that Mr Montague et al. listen and respond to passenger input. Don't waste that opportunity.

Email sent to Mr. Montague this AM.

Gist of the email:

o Asked M to state the latest -- and hopefully final -- Oceania e-cigarette policy.

o Expressed my displeasure with a management style which seems to favor a trial balloon approach to decision making rather than due diligence and logic.

o Acknowledged that while Oceania is a unique product that we love, we've never abandoned independent land travel and can return to that exclusively if Oceania management continues to anger us.

If and when I get a reply, I'll pass that along too.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

My intent in posting to CC was to alert fellow cruisers who might not be aware that most people vape flavored e-cigs which have a powerful and distinctive odor that will pervade the carpet, mattress, etc. in the cabin. It might be cookie dough, chocolate mint, lemon, "air freshener" or whatever but it will be there and it will be strong. Vapor is not "clean" and contains heavy metals and other toxic substances and the residue can build up inside the cabin.

As another poster notes, O execs read CC posts and my guess is that they pay a lot more attention to posts, which are widely distributed, than to emails, which they can choose to ignore. I of course will also send an email.

Our decision to wait for clarification before booking our next cruise is for health reasons and personal preference. We don't want to be assigned a cabin that has had someone vaping multiple times a day for the previous 10-70 plus days.

We don't want to enter our Oceania Suite on our next trip and be confronted with the remnants of vapors from e-cigaretts. This is a deal breaker for us due to health issues. If e-cigaretts are not restricted to the two allowed smoking locations, we will cancel our booking.

I think the point missing here is how to enforce a ban on ecig smoking in the cabin. Yes, the smell dissipates in time. I have smelled some horrendous perfumes and men's colones that linger in everything. Trust me, we had a cabin where someone dropped or spilled some....we ended up leaving the door open so DH on oxygen could breathe,,as there were no other open veranda cabins. So now, just having an ecig in the room does not constitute a violation, so what is to be judged for a violation? Smoke? Nah, not viable. Smell, again not viable. Smoke detectors don't catch the vaping, so The poor room stewards would have to catch the person vaping. Not gonna happen. I know...they should put in two way mirrors in all rooms to verify nothing illegal is happening! You can ban a lot of things, but unless you have cabin police, it's just not a reality.

I think the point missing here is how to enforce a ban on ecig smoking in the cabin. Yes, the smell dissipates in time. I have smelled some horrendous perfumes and men's colones that linger in everything. Trust me, we had a cabin where someone dropped or spilled some....we ended up leaving the door open so DH on oxygen could breathe,,as there were no other open veranda cabins. So now, just having an ecig in the room does not constitute a violation, so what is to be judged for a violation? Smoke? Nah, not viable. Smell, again not viable. Smoke detectors don't catch the vaping, so The poor room stewards would have to catch the person vaping. Not gonna happen. I know...they should put in two way mirrors in all rooms to verify nothing illegal is happening! You can ban a lot of things, but unless you have cabin police, it's just not a reality.

It may be a point. But it may not be as significant as would be with some mass market lines.

It is my understanding that O customers tend to be mature in age and experience and generally well educated with the means to afford the premium product. Folks like that tend to understand and follow established rules and protocols when it comes to the travel industry. So, if O has smoking rules that restrict user locations, I'm guessing that abusers are few and far between.

Moreover, the task at hand is to assure that e-cigs will be subject to the same restrictions as cigarettes and cigars, including a ban in staterooms, verandas, dining and bar venues and all other public places on the ship other than the single designated outdoor and single designated indoor areas.

We can deal with the "cabin police" question or a "smokeless" ship later. Right now, we need the e-mails described earlier.

Well written post and very true. Although I cannot imagine more than a handful of Oceania passengers wanting to vape, if they want to cheat, their best bet is on the balcony. The vapor does not extend more than about 12" (for the record, I do not smoke or vape but have been around people that do).