Tunis is out

joanna111

I think they are too cautious, as are their passengers who are reassured by the change. I would not hesitate to visit Tunisia at this time, would be disappointed if I were on an affected cruise.

Good news!

NOT because I think Tunis is too dangerous ( it is not, I stay there on a regular basis), but because there is simply nothing to see or do. Carthago is vastly overrated, Tunis city is nothing special compared to other Maghreb major cities and the beaches are poor compared to other Mediterranean destinations.

Olbia has at least fabulous beaches:) and some great food!

I feel it is a prudent decision. The violence in Tunis was specifically targeted against tourists, and because of that I don't see cruise lines making stops there for a long while.

We have enjoyed two stops in Tunis over the years, and feel sorry for the many good people there who depend on tourism for their living. Our last stop at La Goulette just before the Arab Spring, included a tour of the ruins at Carthage (agree with above poster that I have seen better ruins elsewhere) the American Cemetary and a stop at a lovely little town Sidi Bou Said for shopping and sightseeing. I seem to remember that tourism is, or perhaps was, Tunis main source of income, so quite a sad situation.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Good news!

NOT because I think Tunis is too dangerous ( it is not, I stay there on a regular basis), but because there is simply nothing to see or do. Carthago is vastly overrated, Tunis city is nothing special compared to other Maghreb major cities and the beaches are poor compared to other Mediterranean destinations.

Olbia has at least fabulous beaches:) and some great food!

I agree it is not a surprising decision, but would have to disagree that Olbia is a more attractive option. Not everyone travels to the Med for the beaches, and on a cruise the chance to enjoy local cuisine is pretty limited.

I profess I don't understand what is meant by "better" ruins (as the other poster stated). I wonder if most realize that some of the more eye-catching ruins are largely a result of 19th and 20th century reconstruction (some of it not particularly good or accurate....)?

At any rate, I really enjoy visiting places where significant historical events occurred, regardless of the quality of the ruins. And if one gets down into the actual site on the hill at Carthage (rather than simply overlooking it from above), it is pretty interesting. One can be amazed there is anything there at all, given that the Romans always insisted they razed the place to the ground (and sowed salt on top of it, to boot....)

It's all too easy -- for me anyway -- to envision the Roman soldiers pouring over the walls of Carthage and fighting in close-quarters, hand-to-hand fashion up the narrow streets to the acropolis... But I guess the historical knowledge or perhaps the imaginations of some are impaired. :D

I also see you don't mention the wonderful museum in Tunis, unfortunate location of the recent shooting, which has arguably the best collection of Roman-era mosaics of any place in the world (the other contender being in Turkey....)

I agree it is not a surprising decision, but would have to disagree that Olbia is a more attractive option. Not everyone travels to the Med for the beaches, and on a cruise the chance to enjoy local cuisine is pretty limited.

I profess I don't understand what is meant by "better" ruins (as the other poster stated). I wonder if most realize that some of the more eye-catching ruins are largely a result of 19th and 20th century reconstruction (some of it not particularly good or accurate....)?

At any rate, I really enjoy visiting places where significant historical events occurred, regardless of the quality of the ruins. And if one gets down into the actual site on the hill at Carthage (rather than simply overlooking it from above), it is pretty interesting. One can be amazed there is anything there at all, given that the Romans always insisted they razed the place to the ground (and sowed salt on top of it, to boot....)

It's all too easy -- for me anyway -- to envision the Roman soldiers pouring over the walls of Carthage and fighting in close-quarters, hand-to-hand fashion up the narrow streets to the acropolis... But I guess the historical knowledge or perhaps the imaginations of some are impaired. :D

I also see you don't mention the wonderful museum in Tunis, unfortunate location of the recent shooting, which has arguably the best collection of Roman-era mosaics of any place in the world (the other contender being in Turkey....)

I agree with you. When we were able to tour and cruise Europe, we were not interested in the beaches. Too many other sites to see.

I am disappointed especially with everything I read about Olbia, Sardinia. :mad:The most common advice for that port seems to be to just stay on the ship

I haven't been there yet (we board in a few days), but we have a nice private CC group boat charter planned for our Sardinia stop. This seems like a great relaxing day in between the often oh-so-busy sightseeing days common on these port-intensive cruises. Check out the website: http://www.deadelmare.com/EN/palau-charter-boats.html

Watch for my review after the cruise!

tunis is fine. we were just there, our second visit. we do not take ships tours and hired a cab for the day both times. had a great adventure. that being said, Malta would be a great substitution.

Just sent an email to the sailboat excursion that StartrainDD recommended -- thanks. Although it sounds a little too beachy for October 30th.

I would have been thrilled if HAL had chosen Malta. And I'd be happy if they had chosen one of the other Sardinia ports that sound more interesting.

But I should stop complaining and realize what this means to the people of Tunis.

I haven't been there yet (we board in a few days), but we have a nice private CC group boat charter planned for our Sardinia stop. This seems like a great relaxing day in between the often oh-so-busy sightseeing days common on these port-intensive cruises. Check out the website: http://www.deadelmare.com/EN/palau-charter-boats.html

Watch for my review after the cruise!

Hi, please post review of this when you get back...I am curious about the price as well. Happy travels!!!

Yea for princess on those cruises where Salerno is being substituted for Tunis: If we have to miss Tunis, then Salerno would be my first pick; Here's why...Salerno, and Amalfi, are often missed when excursions go out of Naples for the Amalfi Coast area. Too often , the far end of the Amalfi Coast, Positano, Salerno and Amalfi are missed, a very charming, historical, and beautiful area!

BRAVO PRINCESS.

Startrain, how did you arrange transportation from the ship to Palau? I wrote to them and got a quote for a excursion on the Caprera One but all they said about transport was that they don't do it.