"Regular" non-suite person on Summit - what will be off limits?

gotgames2play

The ice towels and water/lemonade is still available for all though.

However in 2017 non suite guests will find their towels replaced with a tissue and those without a beverage package will be charged $0.10 per glass of water or lemonade. ;)

One of the advantages of being a suite guest is they don't make you take a turn rowing.:eek:

Can anyone confirm if sky suite guests are entitled to a seat in a life boat. Should the ship hit an iceberg? :confused:

Most venues are open to everyone. The ones off limits are few. You won't miss them. Enjoy your cruise knowing that you spent a lot less than the "suite class" people to use the pools, spa, activities, tours, entertainment, and arrive at the same ports. And, since the suite restaurant is closed for lunch, the suite people will be with you at the buffet, aqua spa, pool grill, etc. They just paid more for the same experience.Unless the price of a suite is low, paying lots of extra money for the same cruise doesn't make sense. A good rule to remember is book the least expensive cabin that will make you happy. That may or may not mean you need more space. Buying space on a ship can be costly. By the way, Bermuda is gorgeous. I have been there many times...by cruise and by plane. When I started cruising many years ago, I stayed in suites. I thought that the standard cabins would be too small. They are not too small. They are adequate for sleeping, changing clothes, and showering. Relax and enjoy the cruise. I will be on the Summit in June.

I see the green-eyed monster is alive and well. It is not a class system. Anyone can purchase a passage in a suite. If one were denied the opportunity to purchase a suite, then it would be a class system (or discrimination).

Sorry, we can agree to disagree. Is it technically a class system based on a dictionary definition? Maybe not. But in practicality it is. Certainly not anyone can purchase passage in a suite. The vast majority of people cannot afford to do that. I understand your point is that they are not specifically prohibited from being able to purchase that cabin, but realistically they are. I for one do not care if people who pay more get more - that's understandable. But lately Celebrity's emphasis has been all about the suite passengers and the rest of us steerage folks are definitely beginning to feel 'second class'. This red carpet thing for me is what put it over the top. I've seen airlines do it as well and it serves the purpose of looking tacky, embarrassing most people who are eligible to use it, and making those who cannot feel less valued. How can that ever be a good thing I ask?

Oh for Pete's sake. I know I am going to catch hell for this, but I wish people would stop whining and kvetching about things like the suite perks, or what Celebrity used to do or offer but doesn't anymore, and maybe focus more on enjoying themselves and having an enjoyable cruise. If you don't like Celebrity or the fact that higher paying suite guests get perks, then look elsewhere....there are LOTS of other options out there.

I'm sorry, nobody asked, just my opinion, but CC boards get so negative sometimes......

Oh for Pete's sake. I know I am going to catch hell for this, but I wish people would stop whining and kvetching about things like the suite perks, or what Celebrity used to do or offer but doesn't anymore, and maybe focus more on enjoying themselves and having an enjoyable cruise. If you don't like Celebrity or the fact that higher paying suite guests get perks, then look elsewhere....there are LOTS of other options out there.

I'm sorry, nobody asked, just my opinion, but CC boards get so negative sometimes......

Not to argue with you but to offer a different viewpoint:

As a relative newbie I mostly sit back and enjoy the show in these discussions. However, I must say that I have found them quite informative. I do take what I read with a grain of salt. But I have learned not to be tempted by offers of upgrades from CC to Sky Suites; the kvetching about the perks in Sky and above gave me a better framework for closely examining what I could expect from such an upgrade. I have also learned that Aqua apparently has nothing special of interest to me. I have learned how to read between the lines and critically examine special offers. So I think that in my own case the "negativity" has been positive and will help me have enjoyable cruises.

Stan (Now in Michigan but previously a long-time resident of KCMO)

Im presuming this is a photo from the Titanic when class systems were in full flow. How tacky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And how just like every US airline has a dedicated lane for its top fliers (united has the Blue Carpet, AA used to have a Red carpet, not sure if they do), and how most hotels have a dedicated carpeted check in position for their top tier guests (Marriott has a black carpet for its Platinum Rewards guests). How my bank even ha a blue carpet for "business accounts only".

The red carpet is merely keeping up with how the rest of the leisure and entertainment handles things.

No joke....the ships carry a red carpet which they occasionally put out at port stops. There is the "red carpet" entrance back to the ship for suite guests and the rest of us go through the regular return gate.

I have watched from our balcony and have seen very very few actually use the carpet...but it was there. I'm sure a search of CC will find discussion.

I don't know if it's an idea that was tried (last year) and discarded or if it's still done at some ports.

I saw this for the first time on my cruise on the Equinox in April. I actually laughed outloud. Its ridiculous IMHO. I am going in a suite for the first time ever on the Summit this month. I didnt book it to feel "high and mighty" as others have suggested. I took advantage of the perks offer, and since the price was right, my friend and I decided to give it a try. But if given the choice, I would NOT board the ship on the red carpet. :eek:

For those of you complaining about the Suite Class on Celebrity, you do realize that people who pay more should get more, right? It's like people flying First and Business Class get more than people in Economy or people paying for higher-level rooms at a hotel get more than those who book basic rooms. I don't understand what all of the whining and shock is about. Celebrity is making a smart business move by offering a class of accommodations that give people more bang-for-their-buck. Up until now, we only cruised in Aqua Class. Now we have switched all of our upcoming bookings to suites so that we can take advantage of Luminae. It's worth it to us to eat in a private venue. And Celebrity definitely is getting more money from us, and I'm sure many others, because of this and other perks. I know it's not worth it to some people, but that's no reason to be disparaging and immature. We all have options to pay more or less, depending on what facets of the cruise are important to us. Isn't that what's great about cruising? And, no, I definitely will not be using that silly red carpet lol

Michael

... Now we have switched all of our upcoming bookings to suites so that we can take advantage of Lumina... And, no, I definitely will not be using that silly red carpet lol

Michael

I guess I don't understand the approbation cast on the Red Carpet. As many have said, if you pay more, you are entitled to get more. One of the things you get more of is priority in embarkation and boarding. Would you really stand in a long line of sweaty steerage passengers waiting to board when you could walk right on via the red carpet? The only reason I can think of that I would avoid taking advantage of a perk I had paid for would be if I were having buyers regret, feeling foolish for having spent the big bucks.

My mother-in-law has mobility issues. When we go out to dinner, I look for a space close to the door. If there isn't anything readily available I will pull out the blue hang tag and use the Handicap designated space. If we don't need it, I don't use it. If we do need it, then she "deserves" it and I do use it. So I say, if you deserve the Red Carpet treatment, use it and enjoy the freedom of not needing to stand in long lines.

Sorry, we can agree to disagree. Is it technically a class system based on a dictionary definition? Maybe not. But in practicality it is. Certainly not anyone can purchase passage in a suite. The vast majority of people cannot afford to do that. I understand your point is that they are not specifically prohibited from being able to purchase that cabin, but realistically they are. I for one do not care if people who pay more get more - that's understandable. But lately Celebrity's emphasis has been all about the suite passengers and the rest of us steerage folks are definitely beginning to feel 'second class'. This red carpet thing for me is what put it over the top. I've seen airlines do it as well and it serves the purpose of looking tacky, embarrassing most people who are eligible to use it, and making those who cannot feel less valued. How can that ever be a good thing I ask?

We could afford to travel in a suite and I should think many people could. The question is how often. If we cruised once in ten years, we could go first class all the way, but that is not our choice. We prefer to cruise two or three times a year, so have to adjust our spending to allow for that. That means choosing inside, ocean view or balcony according to cost and itinerary. Do we envy those in suites - not at all. We enjoy seeing new, interesting places and meeting new people and we can do that just as well in an inside cabin.

BTW, there was only one gangway when we were on Century last month. It had a red carpet. Maybe they were letting the masses wear out the carpet before the ship was sold.

Sheila

I can confirm that they rope off a section of the Sky Lounge during the Elite cocktail hour. I was on the Reunion Cruise this past November where there were a bazillion Elite and higher passengers. While they did host some exclusive events in the Sky Lounge, on regular nights it was simply roped off so everyone could enjoy it. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi- I didn't read all the responses- but I wanted to chime in after reading your question. This April my family was a 'regular' passenger- due to us wanting a big corner family suite (which is just the same level of service as a regular veranda/ect room).

Having never been on Celebrity- I was concerned because it is important to me to be on vacation and not feel like I am second class- we always book the highest class, suite, ect when we travel. I wanted to assure you that all was well- and I didn't notice that there were a few small specialty places that I wasn't able to attend due to not being Aqua or a Suite guest. I hope that helps you.

We really enjoyed the Summit and I don't think I will ever go on another cruise line ever again. The service was impeccable and I loved every moment. Peaceful, fun, and relaxing! (And I traveled with a 6 year old- who liked it better than a Disney cruise!) Have a great time!

Edited by SuzanneA

I just booked an August cruise on the Summit after much debate- Thank you so much for your post! It made my day. I am travelling with family and my 7 year old daughter in "regular" after only cruising on Disney. I am glad you enjoyed.

LOL! Pretty pathetic carpet! Give me a break!:D:D:D

One of my favorite pictures. One can envision that as soon as one steps on that carpet, an officer rushes over and throws his jacket down so you don't have to step from the carpet to the sordid, common folk, concrete :)

I buy the separate entrance so suite guests don't have to wait in line...but the red carpet is really so cheap and tacky.

No joke....the ships carry a red carpet which they occasionally put out at port stops. There is the "red carpet" entrance back to the ship for suite guests and the rest of us go through the regular return gate.

I have watched from our balcony and have seen very very few actually use the carpet...but it was there. I'm sure a search of CC will find discussion.

I don't know if it's an idea that was tried (last year) and discarded or if it's still done at some ports.

The red carpet was used on the Solstice on our Alaska cruise last week when we docked at Skagway. I don't know if they rolled it out anywhere else, that was the first time I noticed it.

I can confirm that they rope off a section of the Sky Lounge during the Elite cocktail hour. I was on the Reunion Cruise this past November where there were a bazillion Elite and higher passengers. While they did host some exclusive events in the Sky Lounge, on regular nights it was simply roped off so everyone could enjoy it. :)

Yes! Same thing last week, just roped off a section for elite and the rest of us sat drank and enjoyed the view without any issues.

No, not elite plus....it was never offered to us....we're just part of the unwashed masses :)

It's for suites and perhaps zenith's.

Perhaps with the next turn of the crank they will have vestal virgins singing and throwing rose petals ahead of the suite passengers...with a herald who will announce "hark....they come, please step aside and lower your head as the suite passengers pass"

(you can probably tell I'm not thrilled with this new "class for a cruise" system).

OMG this is too funny, I can't stop laughing!:D