Food can it get any more boring?

Msail

Food is good. But I get tired of rich gourmet meals. Sometimes I just want some down home southern cooking. The bread is awful. Hard rolls that are cold. Some hot bread would be nice. Desserts are too rich. I just want a good ole Apple Pie sometimes.

The bread is awful? How can you say that. I think the bread is delicious, trouble is I can't stop eating it. Desserts are meant to be rich. Good Lord, what do you eat at home?:eek:

We recently got off the Crown and found the food in the dining room to be excellent in general. We were not as impressed with Horizon Court although it was fine we preferred to have our meals in the dining room. We also enjoyed the great conversation during our meals in the dining room.

I think you can't lose touch of how much you pay for your cruise and what you get...

Edited by robandana

It depends also on the head chef some of them are miracle workers.

That is so true. I have had the same dish on different ships where one was really good and one not so.

Food is good. But I get tired of rich gourmet meals. Sometimes I just want some down home southern cooking. The bread is awful. Hard rolls that are cold. Some hot bread would be nice. Desserts are too rich. I just want a good ole Apple Pie sometimes.

This was discussed on a recent thread. The people who like exotic food were appalled at the ones who like simple cooking, and vice versa. MY DH will agree with you about the pies, though. He missed all the fruit pies he can get every time on Carnival.

We don’t like fancy food, just the everyday food we eat, nothing fancy. A few cruises ago one of our table mates had terminal cancer and he didn’t feel like eating the fancy food on the menu. He asked for the children’s menu and we ordered off of that a couple of nights, it was good, just had to order double items. The nice thing about MDR if you want more just ask for more or tell the waiter you want the belt buster dinner. I’ve found that when they have Prime Rib you don’t want to get the corn on the cob, it’s terrible, like it was cooked hours ago. They’ve always substituted it for something else. If you don’t like something tell the wait staff or you want more just ask.

Evidently I missed something when we started cruising a dozen or so years ago.

I said to myself, "You are going on a cruise for relaxation and need to realize that the staff will prepare and serve meals for 3000 or so passengers 3 or more times a day".

So I immediately remembered my military meals and have not been disappointed. Granted some are better than others, though.

Mike:)

I never would have thought that there were so many people who just rated the food so-so. Their tastes must be much more refined than ours are. ;)

I do expect better than Hometown Buffet type food. And I would have expected the hot dog stuffed in a meatloadf from a Carnival cruise, not Princess. Maybe Princess is trying to usher more people into the speciality restaurants. I think we'll be eating at the Steakhouse more often, the price is reasonable.

Evidently I missed something when we started cruising a dozen or so years ago.

I said to myself, "You are going on a cruise for relaxation and need to realize that the staff will prepare and serve meals for 3000 or so passengers 3 or more times a day".

So I immediately remembered my military meals and have not been disappointed. Granted some are better than others, though.

Mike:)

So true;)

And I would have expected the hot dog stuffed in a meatloadf from a Carnival cruise, not Princess. Maybe Princess is trying to usher more people into the speciality restaurants.

I think Princess gets a bit more "creative" than Carnival, myself. I have always like Carnival's food (but not everything else, lol.) I wondered myself from time to time if they are trying to get people into the specialty restaurants. If you are a beef lover, you want Crown Grill, for sure.

I blame all of you for the lousy food ! :D Seriously as is often said , food is subjective .

I found the MDR menu boring but acceptable . I have to believe they are trying to satisfy the

largest group of their pax given budget and other constraints . The food could be a lot more adventurous

but again, I blame all of you . Having been a kitchen manager, I believe they serve what we order .

More adventurous options are harder to prepare successfully and usually don't get ordered .

The Regal buffet was the best I've ever experienced . The international cafe was also great .

We have always been pleased with the quality, quantity and variety of food offered on Princess ships. Breakfast in the dining room is a delight. Lunch choices are varied and seldom fail to satisfy. Dinners typically offer 4 or 5 (or more) entre choices, 3 or 4 (or more) appetizers, and 4 or 5 dessert choices. Add to that the always available menu, many varieties of ice cream with multiple toppings etc. and if you can't find something in those offerings that pleases your palate then you will never be happy on any cruise line. OP, if you insist on gourmet food then don't cruise as you will surely be disappointed.

I think Princess gets a bit more "creative" than Carnival, myself. I have always like Carnival's food (but not everything else, lol.) I wondered myself from time to time if they are trying to get people into the specialty restaurants. If you are a beef lover, you want Crown Grill, for sure.

It's the creative stuff that is somewhat comical. I've never seen so many dishes reinvented from stuff served from the previous day. The setup on the Crowne was different than the Star setup in the buffet. There were salads there that had names I couldn't pronounce, but in essence it was leftover beef or pork mixed with peas or beans. For breakfast, they mixed in the left over salmon or bacon into the scrambled eggs. None of these dishes I tried, I basically stuck with the salad bar and chicken or fish. Real eggs in the morning and ham. At dinner we ate more in the dining room and was satisfied with the offerings there.

i find the food quite good, I wish I knew about the Bavarian night ahead of time, and I wish I knew about the BBQ at the Trident Grill. Maybe better advertising of it on the PATTERS

When I am on vacation, and I don't have to think about what to cook for dinner and then actually cook it ,serve it and clean up after the meal, I am pleased!

Some of the food offerings on Princess are very good and some not so much.

My DH and I always find something for our meals and snacks.

We keep it simple,oatmeal for breakfast, salad and or sandwich for lunch,fruit for a snack, some entree for dinner that appeals to us and one dessert a day.

A cruise is a way for us to explore different places, relax,reconnect with each other and enjoy our days.

Food offerings are not the reason we cruise.

i find the food quite good, I wish I knew about the Bavarian night ahead of time, and I wish I knew about the BBQ at the Trident Grill. Maybe better advertising of it on the PATTERS

If you ask the maître d' or the HC manager they can tell you which night is Bavarian night. It's my favorite special buffet.

The dining room Princess food is better than Carnival by far. Yes, it's not gourmet, but you're not paying those prices either. :)

I disagree. We found the MDR food on Carnival(Dream) to be surprisingly on par with that on any Princess ship that we've sailed. In fact, we found the buffet selections on Carnival (when including all of the different cooked-to-order station options) to be a little better than Princess.

With that stated, we still prefer the overall experience on Princess a little more than that on Carnival.

If you don’t like something tell the wait staff or you want more just ask.

And if you get a waiter like I had on the Star last month, he will tell you what is NOT recommended that evening. Trust me, they know whats not the big hit that night.

Dinners typically offer 4 or 5 (or more) entree choices, 3 or 4 (or more) appetizers, and 4 or 5 dessert choices.

Sample recent dinner menu not including the "always available":

Main courses:

o Glazed salmon

o Black mussels

o Chicken pelau

o Strip steak

o Chuletas de Puerco

o Eggplant and basmatti rice

Desserts:

o Baked Alaska

o Apple pie

o Sugar free chocolate-tapioca pudding

o Ice cream (rhubarb, rum & raisin, dark cherry sorbet)

Again, above does not include always available.

We have always been pleased with the quality, quantity and variety of food offered on Princess ships. Breakfast in the dining room is a delight. Lunch choices are varied and seldom fail to satisfy. Dinners typically offer 4 or 5 (or more) entre choices, 3 or 4 (or more) appetizers, and 4 or 5 dessert choices. Add to that the always available menu, many varieties of ice cream with multiple toppings etc. and if you can't find something in those offerings that pleases your palate then you will never be happy on any cruise line. OP, if you insist on gourmet food then don't cruise as you will surely be disappointed.

Great post!