Food can it get any more boring?

Msail

Take the Crisco out of the bakery put in butter you just went from good to great without breaking the bank. No 5 star or Ritz-Carlton about it.

That's something I put in my comments to Princess after every cruise. I used to love their pastries and croissants until they stopped using butter the pastries. Now they're average at best.

Otherwise I'm generally happy with the food in the MDR. At least the dinner rolls are still excellent.

Karen what ship was this? Was it one of the new ones? I've been on 29 Princess cruises and don't remember seeing anything in the buffet that said salt free.

Thanks

It was on the Grand last week. Its one of the oldest ships. the section was right by where the soups are in the Horizon court.

It might be new as I don't remember it on the Crown last Feb:confused:

I'm a retired culinary arts teacher who just got off the Coral. I always eat in the MDR as I think the quality and safety is better. It is not "gourmet" but I look forward to my favorites on every cruise: eggs Benedict, James Beard French Toast, Lox and bagels, Cobb Salad, Hamburgers, Corned Beef Sandwiches, Escargot, Goat Cheese Soufflé, Scallops in citrus sauce, Prime Rib, fettuchini Alfredo, lobster, soufflés, and crime brûlée. We have enjoyed the specialty restaurants also. I was not happy with the Caribbean menu but think Princess does a good job providing alternatives. We have foody friends who swear by Oceania but PAY for it! After a 15 day cruise I was tired of eating large meals and longing for plain food! Karen

It is impossible to pay Princess' prices and get Oceania's or Crystal's food. It simply cannot be done. No matter how gifted the galley staff, if meals are being churned out 500 at a time, you cannot get four star dining. One either accepts this fact, or pays more to dine on ships with smaller passenger loads. As compared to similarly priced mass market cruise lines, I think Princess is doing pretty well.

Princess currently spends $16.00 per day per passenger on food (though they will never admit that). That said, Princess increase your budget per passenger 50pc to $24.00 a day (suffice to say charge me $56.00 more on a 7 day cruise) and maybe we can once again get the great food served years ago!

Worldspan

135 cruises strong (and no more!)

Princess currently spends $16.00 per day per passenger on food (though they will never admit that). That said, Princess increase your budget per passenger 50pc to $24.00 a day (suffice to say charge me $56.00 more on a 7 day cruise) and maybe we can once again get the great food served years ago!

$8 per day per passenger = $16 per day per cabin (for two people), x 10 day cruise = $160 for the cruise. If RCL is charging $1,100 for a similar itinerary and Princess is charging $1,260 and you don't think that that would make a material difference in bookings, you're crazy.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Actually, I think the food is pretty darn good... Well above most of the mass market types of venues (banquets, other cruiselines...). It amazes me that they serve thousands of meals daily and they get to the table hot.

I was on an NCL ship that could serve no food quickly or hot (unless you paid extra for it).

With Princess's two upcharge venues, they are not sacrificing quality to entice people to eat there. There is no way that they could possibly cater to 2000-3500 pax in those two venues. Some NCL ships have more than 8 paid venues.

As far as the Crisco to butter... it may have to do with trans fat that so may fear.

I will admit to not reading every post on this thread. That said, we were on a 3 day repositioning cruise from LA to Vancouver on the Ruby Princess last week. The food was pretty good, but, not as good as our last Caribbean cruise on the Ruby in March, 2014. And, also, not nearly as good as our Regal cruise last December. I think it all depends on the chef, the cruise itinerary and ?, the luck of the draw?....

Overall, we still are happy with the food on Princess. We have never gotten off of any Princess cruise and felt short-changed on the food.:cool:

I'm not sure what you expect.

They have to feed 2 to 3,500 people with a limited kitchen using food they cart around with them.

And have menus that are consistent across all their ships.

Given those parameters I think the food is pretty good.

Personally I'd prefer a good steak and eggs or a roast, or a pie and chips, but I do like trying something different when I cruise.

As far as the Crisco to butter... it may have to do with trans fat that so may fear.

There is no trans fat in Crisco or butter. Butter is now a better alternative for the heart than Crisco because butter is not a hydrogenated oil. Hydrogenated oils are now suspected of causing inflammation of the arteries. If I am going to eat fat, I want the one that tastes good. Butter wins.

Edited by ar1950

Food is good. But I get tired of rich gourmet meals. Sometimes I just want some down home southern cooking. The bread is awful. Hard rolls that are cold. Some hot bread would be nice. Desserts are too rich. I just want a good ole Apple Pie sometimes.

I love the rolls....Princess has great bread...I think, anyway. :)

I love the rolls....Princess has great bread...I think, anyway. :)

Agreed. Always an issue when trying to not go home too much heavier than when we started the cruise.:cool:

Food is good. But I get tired of rich gourmet meals. Sometimes I just want some down home southern cooking. The bread is awful. Hard rolls that are cold. Some hot bread would be nice. Desserts are too rich. I just want a good ole Apple Pie sometimes.

Now I agree with the "Home Style" not so sure about the Southern Cooking, and that is one of the problems the lines face, they have PAX from all over the world and what people from one area see as home cooking those from another may see as strange.

And I have had Apple pie plenty of times.

Agreed. Always an issue when trying to not go home too much heavier than when we started the cruise.:cool:

Yep that 1/2 to 1 kg a day I take home proves how boring the food is.:eek:

How much will I put on in a 33 day cruise.:D

I will have to agree with you there. Recently there was a thread about how exotic the food was. Boring. Exotic. Subjective.

Where's the like button.

If food is a big factor to you, perhaps cruising isn't the best bet.

The big plus is the sheer variety.

Herself is a vegetarian or vegan I am a meat man, we never go hungry.

I love princess cruises but not the food . The chefs on board have years of experience and I know they can put food out that has some love in it. Is this a ploy so they do not compete with the premium restaurants?

You're asking two different questions. I serve at most 15 different dinner menus at home. Boring, perhaps, but always prepared with love. :) DH has never complained about Princess food, or mine.

The way the food is prepared and presented is up to the Head Chef some are better than others.

Otherwise those that moan about the quality of the food please check the cost of your room each day plus three main meals and see if you can get a better price on land.I very much doubt it.

Yes it is food made for the masses and for all nationalities but amongst are some little gems.Princess are trying their best to suite all tastes.If you are not satisfied with a dish they will bring you a replacement meal.

For those of you that travel only on special reduced price cruises and moan about the food boo on you.Outspoken yes but its the truth.:cool:

It is impossible to pay Princess' prices and get Oceania's or Crystal's food. It simply cannot be done. No matter how gifted the galley staff, if meals are being churned out 500 at a time, you cannot get four star dining. One either accepts this fact, or pays more to dine on ships with smaller passenger loads. As compared to similarly priced mass market cruise lines, I think Princess is doing pretty well.

Last year we went for the first time to Alaska on Oceania. We also looked at Princess, HAL and Celebrity. Just to be thorough, we did a true bottom line comparison of the daily rate of our trip. Taking the no-charge specialties, included beverages and airfare credit plus a price drop, TA/O partnership discount and significant OBC into account, O ended up being only a few dollars more that the others. So, the choice was a no-brainer.

If food is a key cruise element for you, O is the way to go. Get a good TA and the right itinerary's perks and it is doable compared to Princess et al.

Last year we went for the first time to Alaska on Oceania. We also looked at Princess, HAL and Celebrity. Just to be thorough, we did a true bottom line comparison of the daily rate of our trip. Taking the no-charge specialties, included beverages and airfare credit plus a price drop, TA/O partnership discount and significant OBC into account, O ended up being only a few dollars more that the others. So, the choice was a no-brainer.

If food is a key cruise element for you, O is the way to go. Get a good TA and the right itinerary's perks and it is doable compared to Princess et al.

Was that Regatta?

Well, see, this is why we'll never have consensus on a qualitative appraisal of Princess's food. I do not like "down home southern cooking," which all involves large amounts of lard, pork, and frying. I prefer my rolls unheated. I do not think the desserts are too rich, and I positively hate fruit pies of all kinds.

You know, people always post this, and I always dutifully trot to over to Oceania and price a cruise, and no matter how I crunch/jiggle/massage/downright fudge the numbers, it still proves to be four times the price of a comparable Princess cruise. Why don't you Oceania people just man-up and admit that you're buying a Mercedes? We promise not to think less of you. But this false populism ("Oh, it's just the same cost as a mass-market cruise, really, I promise. Just the same as Princess, once you adjust for the price of gold in the Far East markets, yadda yadda.") is so tiresome.