Shorts in MDR

Mistizoom

To the OP' date=' does that mean your husband won't go to weddings, etc.? Just curious.[/quote']

I think the last wedding he went to was my sister's in 2004. He did wear pants. He has a couple paired of khaki type pants he wears for work once or twice a year, but otherwise it is sweatpants in winter or knit shorts in spring/summer/fall. He would rather not dress up more on vacation, generally speaking, than he normally does. I will make him bring one pair of pants and one polo though, and probably make him wear them once for photos.

Someone please help me out here.

I have read this (and other) thread and cannot understand what is the big deal about an adult person wearing long pants to a dining room where they will be served a multi-course dinner, often with nice wines and good conversation. They will be meeting new people, be served by a staff that works very hard to please them and yet won't put on a pair of pants and decent top? Why? Please do not tell me comfort..... surely we can all find a pair of pants that are equally as comfortable as shorts. If you lived in Boston this winter, given we had something like 12' of snow..... most of you would have surely worn long pants. :D

Our latest experiences on Princess ships have demonstrated that some maitre d's are allowing almost anything goes, including shorts on casual nights. I have to resist the urge to go up to someone wearing shorts and saying, "You must be the unfortunate folks whose luggage was lost."

Herb - I resist the urge to go to you and say "you must be one of those unfortunate folks whose entire wardrobe cost less than my Ferragamo loafers"

I certainly do not care what other people wear to dinner, or anywhere else for that matter. I do have reservations, however, about the attitude of people who will only adhere to norms if they are forced.

And there are no rules that you bend?

I have read this (and other) thread and cannot understand what is the big deal about an adult person wearing long pants to a dining room where they will be served a multi-course dinner, often with nice wines and good conversation. They will be meeting new people, be served by a staff that works very hard to please them and yet won't put on a pair of pants and decent top? Why? Please do not tell me comfort..... surely we can all find a pair of pants that are equally as comfortable as shorts. If you lived in Boston this winter, given we had something like 12' of snow..... most of you would have surely worn long pants. :D

I have no problem doing it at all but I don't get all bent out of shape if others decide not too. The cruise is too short to let something that doesn't impact me directly affect my enjoyment of the cruise.

Very common in Bermuda to see business men in Bermuda shorts, shirts and a tie, long socks and shoes.

I have no problem doing it at all but I don't get all bent out of shape if others decide not too. The cruise is too short to let something that doesn't impact me directly affect my enjoyment of the cruise.

The irony for me is that I am long past bothering a bit about what other people are wearing. There was a time, I would be unpleasantly surprised at the lack of self respect or pride of some people when they would appear in the MDR dressed as though they just mowed their lawn and washed the car. I got passed that and now I don't notice them. In a way that is even sadder when people make themselves invisible because they show so little self-respect or respect for others.

I know for sure this is a very unpopular post but it is not my first and unless I am told otherwise by a Host, it might not be my last. I am not afraid to speak my mind and sometimes a message needs to be heard. No one need read it or take any notice but if a few give it some thought, it might be beneficial.

Whether we like it or not or whether some admit it, we are judged by how we present ourselves. If we are clean, combed hair, freshly groomed and clothing appropriate to the occasion and complaint with the 'norm', we usually make a good first impression. We only have one chance for that first impression. A smile on a face, a respectful, courteous person starts off with an 'advantage' to things progressing nicely for them.

It has nothing to do with price of clothes, designer or WalMart, it has everything to do with courtesy and acknowledgement of society's expectations of us. Simple manners.......

JMO, of course.

Edited by sail7seas

There we have it - an expression of disinterest in things that does not impact one directly says a fair amount (perhaps accompanied by disinterest generally in what may or may not impact others).

The irony for me is that I am long past bothering a bit about what other people are wearing. There was a time, I would be unpleasantly surprised at the lack of self respect or pride of some people when they would appear in the MDR dressed as though they just mowed their lawn and washed the car. I got passed that and now I don't notice them. In a way that is even sadder when people make themselves invisible because they show so little self-respect or respect for others.

I know for sure this is a very unpopular post but it is not my first and unless I am told otherwise by a Host, it might not be my last. I am not afraid to speak my mind and sometimes a message needs to be heard. No one need read it or take any notice but if a few give it some thought, it might be beneficial.

Whether we like it or not or whether some admit it, we are judged by how we present ourselves. If we are clean, combed hair, freshly groomed and clothing appropriate to the occasion and complaint with the 'norm', we usually make a good first impression. We only have one chance for that first impression. A smile on a face, a respectful, courteous person starts off with an 'advantage' to things progressing nicely for them.

It has nothing to do with price of clothes, designer or WalMart, it has everything to do with courtesy and acknowledgement of society's expectations of us. Simple manners.......

JMO, of course.

I agree. Although I'm a firm believer that you can have manners and be courteous without being dressed up. Some of the rudest, most disrespectful people I have seen in the MDRs are those in formal attire.

For my DH it is about comfort. Frankly, I think he would rather be a nudist but thankfully he doesn't try that even at home. He wears sweatpants in winter, not real pants. We were happy with our NCL cruise because it was a great time, and he could wear what he wanted any night - only in a couple dining rooms is there a dress code that doesn't allow shorts. It really is a deal breaker for him. And with NCL you do not sit with strangers, so that's a moot point, and we don't drink wine or beer, either. I was considering other lines with all the recent NCL changes, but except for Carnival it might be best to stick with NCL until DH decides he wants to dress more like a grown up. Considering he is 50, I don't think that will happen any time soon!

Edited by Mistizoom

Whether we like it or not or whether some admit it, we are judged by how we present ourselves. If we are clean, combed hair, freshly groomed and clothing appropriate to the occasion and complaint with the 'norm', we usually make a good first impression. We only have one chance for that first impression.

Yes, we only have one choice to make a first impression, but - to me - clothing is the least important part of that first impression and the least important part of how we present ourselves.

Yes, we only have one choice to make a first impression, but - to me - clothing is the least important part of that first impression and the least important part of how we present ourselves.

That's fine..... certainly your opinion is equally valid.

What do you consider more important for that first impression?

I'm talking about that first glimpse we get of each other when first introduced or introducing ourselves? It's hard to think there is a seeing person who does not look at the person they are newly meeting.

What gives you a good or poor first impression?

[quote name='Mistizoom']I think the last wedding he went to was my sister's in 2004. He did wear pants. He has a couple paired of khaki type pants he wears for work once or twice a year, but otherwise it is sweatpants in winter or knit shorts in spring/summer/fall. [/QUOTE]

Just curious, what kind of job does he have? Does he work from home without customer contact?

[quote name='Floridiana']Just curious, what kind of job does he have? Does he work from home without customer contact?[/quote]

Hmmm.......you make it sound like there aren't jobs where shorts or sweatpants would be acceptable for customer contact, but I can think of several (mostly trades), some of which are even high earning jobs.

[quote name='Floridiana']Just curious, what kind of job does he have? Does he work from home without customer contact?[/quote]

He is Director of E-commerce Operations for an advertising company. He is not a sales person so does not have direct customer contact. He makes web stores, etc. Basically works on a computer all day. He does not work from home.

[quote name='calliopecruiser']Yes, we only have one choice to make a first impression, but - to me - clothing is the least important part of that first impression and the least important part of how we present ourselves.[/QUOTE]

Clothing may very well be the least important part of how people present themselves, but to the extent we are discussing FIRST impression, that first impression pretty much has to be based upon appearance. And, if someone's appearance indicates that he does not care about a requested environment which may be important to others, that physical first impression does set a tone.

[quote name='navybankerteacher']Clothing may very well be the least important part of how people present themselves, but to the extent we are discussing FIRST impression, that first impression pretty much has to be based upon appearance. And, if someone's appearance indicates that he does not care about a requested environment which may be important to others, that physical first impression does set a tone.[/quote]

Clothes are only part of a first impression, including about whether one cares about others and their comfort. Body language is far more important, IMO, and sometimes can make people even not notice what someone is wearing.

If we were all of the same opinion, what a boring world it would be. If wearing long pants is a deal breaker for someone, and that someone is willing to dine in venues where shorts are considered acceptable, have at it.

For my part, if my DH would not dress suitably to accompany me in the MDR, that would be a deal breaker for me.

A dear friend of mine just LOVED to dress up on their yearly cruise since it was the only time she had the chance. Her DH, however, refused to wear a jacket and tie because he "had to wear that his entire working life". He did not care one bit that it would have made her happy on the cruise -- his "comfort" was more important than her joy. A couple of hours, twice in seven days was too much for him to sacrifice. (Guess that none of us should have been surprised when that marriage ended!)

To each their own. If you don't want to dress up for dinner, sail on a line that allows cruise casual all week. If you're the type that's bothered by that, then stick to your line with a stricter dress code. I want to be comfortable on vacation, but like the option to dress up if I want to. This is one of the reasons why we cruise NCL.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Someone please help me out here.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Easy answer; if you've selected a Carnival cruise vacation their printed policy allows me to wear long shorts and a polo shirt to dinner. I selected that cruise line based on that and other things.

For Cruise Elegant nights I'm wearing a Tommy Bahama and khakis.

Here's the deal, if you want to be surrounded by people in long pants then select another cruise line. If you're on a Carnival cruise you should stop looking under the table.

. Edited by BallFour4

[quote name='BallFour4']Easy answer; if you've selected a Carnival cruise vacation their printed policy allows me to wear long shorts and a polo shirt to dinner. I selected that cruise line based on that and other things.

For Cruise Elegant nights I'm wearing a Tommy Bahama and khakis.

Here's the deal, if you want to be surrounded by people in long pants then select another cruise line. If you're on a Carnival cruise you should stop looking under the table.

.[/QUOTE]

This exactly. Since the relaxation of the dress code on some of the mainstream cruise lines, it has now become a factor in our decision making process. We want to vacation on a line with a casual dress code. We don't mind a little extra effort 1 or 2 nights with dress pants, shirts and dresses if need be, but for the other nights we prefer the option to wear shorts if we prefer. If that isn't what someone else prefers then they have the option to choose a line with a stricter dress code.

"Courtesy and social expectation" is to follow the cruise line's dress code that you are sailing on. If that includes shorts, then no self-respect is lost in following the rules of that ship no matter what someone else's opinion of that rule may be.

[quote name='ithaca gal']If we were all of the same opinion, what a boring world it would be. If wearing long pants is a deal breaker for someone, and that someone is willing to dine in venues where shorts are considered acceptable, have at it.

For my part, if my DH would not dress suitably to accompany me in the MDR, that would be a deal breaker for me.

A dear friend of mine just LOVED to dress up on their yearly cruise since it was the only time she had the chance. Her DH, however, refused to wear a jacket and tie because he "had to wear that his entire working life". He did not care one bit that it would have made her happy on the cruise -- his "comfort" was more important than her joy. A couple of hours, twice in seven days was too much for him to sacrifice. (Guess that none of us should have been surprised when that marriage ended!)[/quote]

I don't derive any particular joy out of dressing up myself, so having DH be happy and comfortable on his vacation is A-OK with me. We've been married nearly 17 years, so his not dressing up is definitely not a deal breaker for me.

[quote name='BeachMartini']To each their own. If you don't want to dress up for dinner, sail on a line that allows cruise casual all week. If you're the type that's bothered by that, then stick to your line with a stricter dress code. I want to be comfortable on vacation, but like the option to dress up if I want to. This is one of the reasons why we cruise NCL.[/quote]

Exactly. I'm happy to have found a reasonably priced cruise line that let's us dress how we like most anywhere onboard. Was just looking to see if other options might exist. We might give Carnival a whirl at some point.