Shorts in MDR

Mistizoom

[quote name='BallFour4']Easy answer; if you've selected a Carnival cruise vacation their printed policy allows me to wear long shorts and a polo shirt to dinner. I selected that cruise line based on that and other things.

For Cruise Elegant nights I'm wearing a Tommy Bahama and khakis.

Here's the deal, if you want to be surrounded by people in long pants then select another cruise line. If you're on a Carnival cruise you should stop looking under the table.

.[/QUOTE]

[B] Those of us who are suggesting a pair of long pants shouldn't be considered torture are speaking in terms of a cruise line where shorts are not banned in MDR. There would be no conversation to have if shorts are permitted,,,,,, as you say they are on Carnival.

On HAL, they are not permitted, however, there are always some people who think the rule does not apply to them.

You are correct to say cruise on a ship where shorts are permitted at dinner and there is no issue.

As to 'looking under the table', certainly it has occurred to you we all enter the room and go through some parts of it to arrive at our table. No need to look under a table when a person passes by. :) Even if heavily engrossed in fascinating conversation, one's eye could easily catch sight of inappropriate dress. :D

[/B]

[COLOR="Black"][quote name='sail7seas'][B] Those of us who are suggesting a pair of long pants shouldn't be considered torture are speaking in terms of a cruise line where shorts are not banned in MDR. There would be no conversation to have if shorts are permitted,,,,,, as you say they are on Carnival.

On HAL, they are not permitted, however, there are always some people who think the rule does not apply to them.[/B][/quote]

Sorry for reducing your text. I see your point, and it might surprise you that I agree that some environments don't lend themselves to shorts for dinner. HAL would be one of those. We've toured a HAL ship, but not sailed on one. Extremely nice ship!

For me and where we are in age, disposable income and geography Galveston is a short drive down the freeway. Carnival controls that port. On a ship that mere hours before dinner featured women grinding on the shower pole and then men doing their best Tarzan imitation as the crowd cheers on my bawdy behavior will somehow morph into a Emily Post class of dining attire is at the least hilarious.

Carnival attracts a diverse crowd, but both of us know that when we "sign on" to cruise with them. Shorts in the dining room are way down on the list of things they need to improve.

We've taken a dozen cruises from Galveston less than 7 nights, less than $1000 total cost for both of us and enjoyed a balcony, the gym and ports. We've seen it all aboard!

.[/COLOR] Edited by BallFour4

[quote name='ballfour4'][color="black"]

sorry for reducing your text. I see your point, and it might surprise you that i agree that some environments don't lend themselves to shorts for dinner. Hal would be one of those. We've toured a hal ship, but not sailed on one. Extremely nice ship!

For me and where we are in age, disposable income and geography galveston is a short drive down the freeway. Carnival controls that port. On a ship that mere hours before dinner featured women grinding on the shower pole and then men doing their best tarzan imitation as the crowd cheers on my bawdy behavior will somehow morph into a emily post class of dining attire is at the least hilarious.

Carnival attracts a diverse crowd, but both of us know that when we "sign on" to cruise with them. Shorts in the dining room are way down on the list of things they need to improve.

We've taken a dozen cruises from galveston less than 7 nights, less than $1000 total cost for both of us and enjoyed a balcony, the gym and ports. We've seen it all aboard!

.[/color][/quote]

not "my" behavior!

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Someone please help me out here.

I have read this (and other) thread and cannot understand what is the big deal about an adult person wearing long pants to a dining room ... most of you would have surely worn long pants. :D

[/B][/QUOTE]

It is a reversion to childhood days. Kids under six only wore shorts, didn't get long pants until first grade. So now these guys want to go back to those days, behave as though adulthood conventions have no meaning to them. A fairly common symptom in older males in my experience.

[quote name='GottaKnowWhen']It is a reversion to childhood days. Kids under six only wore shorts, didn't get long pants until first grade. So now these guys want to go back to those days, behave as though adulthood conventions have no meaning to them. A fairly common symptom in older males in my experience.[/QUOTE]

Yeah ok. Times have certainly changed since your childhood. I'm willing to bet that was quite a long time ago.

[quote name='Mistizoom']For my DH it is about comfort. Frankly, I think he would rather be a nudist but thankfully he doesn't try that even at home. He wears sweatpants in winter, not real pants. [/QUOTE]

What about getting him something like these:
[url]http://www.amazon.com/Havanera-Drawstring-Silver-Lining-Medium/dp/B00IGQU1PO[/url]

They are a linen/rayon blend so very cool and probably won't crease as much as pure linen.

I wear a similar type in ladies pants (but pure linen) all summer and I love them. They are just like wearing a summer version of sweatpants but look better, and are very, very comfortable.

[quote name='GottaKnowWhen']It is a reversion to childhood days. Kids under six only wore shorts, didn't get long pants until first grade. So now these guys want to go back to those days, behave as though adulthood conventions have no meaning to them. A fairly common symptom in older males in my experience.[/quote]

I hope this was said tongue in cheek?

[quote name='GottaKnowWhen']It is a reversion to childhood days. Kids under six only wore shorts, didn't get long pants until first grade. So now these guys want to go back to those days, behave as though adulthood conventions have no meaning to them. A fairly common symptom in older males in my experience.[/QUOTE]
In the space below type in what Carnival policy prohibits shorts in the dining room on non-elegant nights. Go.

Your assumptions of what I want to do are missing a key point. I'm on a vacation, on a ship, in a warm climate wearing shorts where my host allows. If another guest doesn't like it I would suggest another dinner venue aboard another vessel.

#drphilatsea

This is not just a cruise ship problem. I was visiting my 87 year old mother over the weekend at her retirement home (more like a cruise ship with no engines.:)) and they were just going through the same issue. Some of the old fellas were dressing down at dinner, shorts, sweatpants, torn jeans etc. Well the ladies, who are in the majority there raised a stink and demanded that management demand that the gentlemen wear proper dress at dinner. (as defined by my mum and her gang!;)) Well at least they did let the guys wear no-hole jeans. Knowing my mum, I'm sure the jeans days are numbered. ;) My mum just grew up at a time when jeans were only for workmen and adult males didn't wear shorts other than at the beach.

As for shorts in the MDR at dinner, I say if it's good enough for the gentlemen of Bermuda, it's good enough for me, if the cruise line is a Bermuda friendly one. If not, I can wear long pants to dinner and change back into my shorts right afterwards. :D The whole thing is not a big deal.

Of course it is not a big deal. In fact much of what has been posted here is no deal at all.
Some people like to wear shorts when they eat dinner: I do not think anyone has come out against shorts at dinner per se.
Some other people like to have a somewhat formal atmosphere when they dine: I hope no one is going to come out against that.
Some people have been citing certain cruise line policies which permit shorts in the MDR: no one has come out against that policy.
Perhaps the root question might be: Why are some people only willing to comply with suggested norms when they are forced to?

[quote name='navybankerteacher'] Perhaps the root question might be: Why are some people only willing to comply with suggested norms when they are forced to?[/quote]

Maybe because some people don't care about some of the norms that might be suggested by others. For instance, I don't care what strangers think I should wear - I'll wear what I want for reasons that are important to me. I don't care if the norm is to eat three meals a day - I'll make my own decisions on when and what to eat based on what I and those I care about want. There are people who don't care about complying with norms simply because they are norms.

That being said, people have to accept the consequences of their decisions. In the realm of this discussion, I will comply with the dress code because I chose to book a voyage on that ship. Not because it's the norm, but because the ship has a code of conduct and dress.

I think the whole thing is not whether shorts are allowed or not, but what kind of shorts are allowed.

To me, according to Carnival's website, men can wear shorts in the MDR as long as they are a dress type short like a walking short or golf short. I think it is ones that are more for the gym or sweats that are not allowed.

If a person does not want to wear dress shorts or pants to the MDR, it is an easy fix. Just eat elsewhere on the ship like at the buffet. There any type of short is accepted.

[quote name='calliopecruiser']

That being said, people have to accept the consequences of their decisions. In the realm of this discussion, I will comply with the dress code because I chose to book a voyage on that ship. Not because it's the norm, but because the ship has a code of conduct and dress.[/QUOTE]

Of course the "code of conduct and dress" on a given ship IS the "norm" on that ship.

[quote name='OzKiwiJJ']What about getting him something like these:
[url]http://www.amazon.com/Havanera-Drawstring-Silver-Lining-Medium/dp/B00IGQU1PO[/url]

They are a linen/rayon blend so very cool and probably won't crease as much as pure linen.

I wear a similar type in ladies pants (but pure linen) all summer and I love them. They are just like wearing a summer version of sweatpants but look better, and are very, very comfortable.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the idea. DH has khaki type pants in 3 colors (with elastic waist :rolleyes:). He just doesn't wear them except once or twice a year.